My husband and I stayed at Secrets Huatulco for 2 weeks from April 30-May 14. This was our 4th time in Mexico (one other time in Huatulco, one time in Cancun, and one time in Los Cabos) so we do have some experience with all inclusives and I can honestly say that I wouldn't go back to Secrets.
The main problems with the resort were the food, the disrepair of the resort, and the bug spraying and algae issue. I know that some people on trip advisor have said that Secrets had really good food. Honestly, the steaks were good and the lattés were really great in the Coco café but overall the food was pretty bad. I can't account for the differences in the reviews regarding food except to say that I can only chalk it up to what people are used to eating. For example, back home in Vancouver I like to eat at Earl's, Cactus Club, Milestones, good Italian restaurants, and nice seafood restaurants like the Rain City Grill. If you love eating at these types of restaurants you will not be happy with the food at Secrets. On the other hand, if you like breakfasts at Tim Horton's, or dinners at Denny's or White Spot you'll probably like the food at Secrets. So I guess it just depends what type of restaurants you like.
Along with the food being fairy poor I also wanted to mention that my husband had an upset stomach for 8 out of the 14 days we were at the resort. None of the food tasted "off" or anything like that but we've been to Mexico 3 other times to all inclusives and have neither of us have ever had a single stomach issue. We both have very strong stomachs so I really think there must have been something very wrong with the food at Secrets. It might not have even been the actual food; maybe it was the way it was handled (bad food safe skills by staff?). In any case, it wasn't great and although my husband was still able to enjoy the beach every day he did also have to spend a lot of time in the bathroom which isn't what you want to be doing on vacation. We made quite a few friends with other travelers during our two weeks at Secrets and I would say that about 50% of the people we talked to either had stomach issues or their spouses had stomach issues while staying at the resort so something was definitely up.
Another issue with the resort is that it's only about 2 years old and yet it looks about 15 years old. All the floor tile in the elevators were cracked, the plastic film on the interior walls of the elevators was heavily peeling off and all the elevators were not ventilated so they stunk like black mould. There were hugs cracks in all the cement walls throughout the resort which gave it an overall dilapidated look even though the décor throughout was quite modern. There were big scuff marks on the wall in our room (in an area where suitcases would be opened and closed), and we could tell that the handle was had been previously broken off of our sliding mirrors in the room since it had been very poorly reapplied with very visible glue that made it look like a 5 year old had done it. At the pool area the sun shade umbrellas were constantly breaking and by the end of our first week at least a third of all the umbrellas were broken.
Another problem we had with the resort was that on day 6 we returned to our room in the middle of the day to find a hotel staff member and a pesticide guy in our room spraying the living daylights out of it. We went right up to the staff member and asked him what was going on and he just said "dont' worry, it's not a problem". We explained to him that we didn't want all our clothing and personal items sprayed and he said that all the rooms were sprayed on a regular basis whether they were occupied with guests that week or not. He didn't seem to understand that we didn't want our room sprayed again a few days later and so we went up to the front desk to let them know. They said that the spray was "non toxic" but my husband knows a lot of about insecticides and said that something that wipes out bugs dead is also not good to be sprayed all over our toothbrushes or the bedding we were going to sleep in that night. In any case, the front desk said they would no longer have the guy spray our room when he did his rounds but who really knows what happened when we were down at the beach.
The last thing that we really did not like about the resort was the black algae growing all over the tiles in the pools. The black stuff was all over the place! All the guests were remarking on it. I looked it up online and black algae is caused by a lack of chlorine. No wonder why I often got a rash all over my stomach and legs after being in the pool for a while - the pool isn't being cleaned properly.
Overall the resort just wasn't up to the standards that I expected it to be. Last year my husband and I went to the Riu Palace in Los Cabos which costs about the same and it was amazing. Since Secrets was in the same price category as the Riu we had expected the same excellent level of resort but we didn't get it. We were just really disappointed.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The enchanting Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa sits on the Pacific coast in Huatulco - a sustainable tourism destination recognized for its commitment to the local environment. Beautifully secluded on the Conejos Bay, guests at Secrets Huatulco are treated to divine views of golden sand beaches, stunning rock formations and sapphire waters. Exclusive Unlimited-Luxury(R) amenities start with limitless gourmet fare and top-shelf spirits, pool and beach wait service, and 24-hour room and concierge services. While 399 gorgeous suites offer daily refreshed mini-bar, spectacular views, plus a furnished balcony, terrace Jacuzzi, or swim-out pool access. Take part in daily activities and nightly entertainment, or a pampering treatment at the Secrets Spa by Pevonia. Guests can even spend a night out with the Sip, Savor & See Dining Experience at the nearby Dreams Huatulco Resort & Spa, to enjoy more fine dining and entertainment. Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa - Enchanting. Secluded. Divine. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Orbitz, Travelocity, Priceline, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Secrets Huatulco Resort And Spa
- Secrets Huatulco Hotel Huatulco