“Wonderful vacation”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Michigan
“Wonderful vacation”
Reviewed May 16, 2013

My husband and I visited in mid April and had a wonderful relaxing vacation. We have been to Caribbean islands, but never to Mexico. I didn't want to go to Cancun or Cozumel and stumbled onto Huatulco while perusing the Apple Vacations website. This was only our second time going to an all inclusive resort and we had a great time. It was very relaxing.

We arrived on a Saturday (direct flight from O'Hare-perfect!). Our room was 1208, it had a phenomenal view of the bay, almost directly in the center. It wasn't far to walk to most of the restaurants and it was a little hike to the pool and beach, but not bad at all really. We walked up the hill after we would visit the pool for a little exercise. The room was nice, had a great balcony to sit on and admire the view. We didn't get a swim up room and I'm glad because I'm not social enough to want to share the pool in front of my room with strangers or have them swim by my room either. I had some concerns about the "see through" bathroom door, but it wasn't a big deal at all. The toilet area has a partially frosted glass door but you can only see it if you standing right there. If your significant other is in the bedroom, don't worry, they can't see you using the bathroom. I would just tell my husband-hey I'm in here, don't leave the bedroom!

The pool was great-we spend a few days just sitting poolside all day reading. We sat at the end of the pool nearest to the Oceana restaurant. It was quiet and the pool service was great. They almost always remembered what we were drinking. We did tip, we alternated between pesos and American dollars (because we ran out of pesos at the end of the trip). The front desk would exchange money for you. And if nobody was there poolside to take orders, we just walked up to the bar and ordered drinks. Not a big deal. We stayed away from the swim up bar though, it was a little much.

The restaurants were mostly good. We had breakfast daily at the Market Cafe--just a buffet, but we could get our fruit and a danish and they had great coffee.

Lunches were at the buffet or Castaways. We tried the poolside bar once, but it just wasn't very good (hot dogs, burgers). Castaways had great chicken tacos. The Market Cafe had quite a variety of foods for lunch.

We had dinner at Oceana once, the view was awesome and the food was great. Hubby had the steak and I had shrimp. We had dinner two times at Spice. The first time it was fantastic. I had decided that's the only place I wanted to have dinner. Until I had it a second night. It was like it wasn't even the same place. The service was horrific and the food equally as bad. We literally left our meals at the table and went to our room to order room service (soup and a sandwich and it was pretty darn good for room service!) The food at Cin Cin was alright, but pretty bland for Italian food. I had the chicken parm and it was awfully dry. Our favorite was definitely Tamarindo. We shared a Oaxacan platter, which had cheeses and meats. Hubby had a burrito and I had the pork tacos. Fantastic! The only food that compared was the one night they had a Mexican buffet in the courtyard.

The ocean was rough in the bay, there were a few red flag days and a couple blue (jellyfish had moved in). We did like to walk the beach (we both wore sandals)-I heard people complain about the sand, but hey, it's sand and it's hot, what can you say? It was a nice walk to take in the morning and evening. We got some great photos down by the rocks.

We did book a jet ski tour of the bays through Apple and it was worth every penny! Our tour guides name was Luis and he did a great job. He let us stop to swim in some bays, we stopped in a bay for a beer and we snorkeled in another bay. The tour was 3 hours, I think. We had so much fun, I wish we could have gone twice, but we waited until almost our last day of vacation to go.

A couple things I didn't like--the bed was really hard. I'm not a picky sleeper, but one night I did tell my husband I was thinking about taking cushions from the furniture in the lobby and sleeping on those! I was glad to get back to my own bed. Also, they did not have Captain Morgan at the resort. I wish we would have been able to swim in the bay, but the water was so rough at times, it would have been more trouble than fun!

We didn't go off the resort much, this vacation was about relaxing and doing nothing and Secrets Hautulco was perfect!

Room Tip: We had room 1208--great view, quiet. Short walk to the restaurants, longer walk to the pools and bea...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,206)
Columbus, OH
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Visited Huatulco third week of April 2013 with my husband and another couple. First time to Huatulco and can say wholeheartedly we loved the area. La Crucecita is well worth a visit.
Very small airport. Through customs and in our room within an hour. Placed in building 1 which was the top building off the lobby on the far end of building which at first put us off as we wanted to be closer to the action however we came to love it and honestly I think the view from that upper building was probably one of the best in the resort. There is really no bad view at this place.
Well appointed room with nice walk in shower, fluffy robes and comfy bed.

We have stayed twice at Secrets Maroma and all week we tried to compare to determine which one we preferred. At first thought Maroma however the place really grew on me and I did like the layout of this place better than Maroma although the beach was red flag the whole time we were there and the beauty of the beach is just different.

Service was good to very good. Favorite meal was probably the teppanyaki table and we also did Italian several times. Really enjoyed the Mexican as well. I loved the iced coffee at the Coco Cafe and would grab one every morning before heading to the beach. Would give the food a 7 for AI food. Some good items but others just so-so.

Always found a seat at pool or beach no matter time of day. Lots of pool space with three separate pool areas for active versus quiet. Good service at pool bar. Not overly impressed with animation staff. Didn't go to any entertainment at night as we were usually ready for bed by ten.

Our return flight got cancelled due to a problem with the plane meaning the airline put everyone up overnight at a hotel near La Crucecita. We were really lucky and got them to put us on alternate flights but still didn't get home until 24 hours later.

So in short, had a great time, loved the place, would go back again however due to limited flights and cost of them, probably won't be back until there is more flight availability. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend this Secrets to anyone however. Not perfect but very good value for the dollar.

3 Thank Go-OSUBucks
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed May 13, 2013

My wife and I love going to Mexico, but we wanted to find a new place. Huatulco it was. We have been to the dreams resort in Tulum, so we trusted AMResorts and ended up at Secrets. We could not have been happier with this experience.

We stayed from 5/4 - 5/11. We are fairly active people, so we typically engage in whatever activities the resorts offer. The entertainment staff at Secrets, while very under-staffed, we're flat out amazing. I could not give enough praise to the jobs that Lucia, Fabiola, Daniel, and Ismael did. They always had a smile, a funny comment, a game to play, a conversation to have.....I could go on and on, but they were amazing!

The resort is clean and set up very well to funnel people in to the hot spots at night. It is situated on a completely secluded bay, so if you don't want to see another resort, you won't have to. A lot of people complain about the sand on trip advisor, but c'mon people, it's a beach! Yes, there are some crushed shells, the sand is a bit coarse compared to Caribbean locations, but this is not a Caribbean location. This is the pacific ocean! And it is not as bad as most people have stated. I played sand volleyball most days while there and never received a cut or scrape (I dive around a lot when I play).

The restaurants were great! The wait staff, especially Eden, we're great. The bars were always accessible and the bartenders (Armando at Marlin and Adan at Desires) were always quick, always friendly, and always knew how to make a drink.

If you are thinking of a trip to Huatulco, Secrets is more than worth it!

Room Tip: We were in building 1 near the lobby. This may not seem like the best, but we were very close to al...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Sechu EConcierg... A, General Manager Assistant at Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
Dear Guest,

We thank you very much for your message. We are pleased to know that you liked our service and installations, and we appreciate that you are sharing it through our Trip Advisor account.

We hope you will have the opportunity to come back again to our resort.

Best regards,

Aurelien Pichereau
General Manager Assistant of the Hotel
Oakville, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed May 13, 2013

My husband and I visited Secrets Huatulco in mid April 2013 and we loved it! We have been to other Secrets before and have always been impressed. The rooms were very clean, the grounds were spotless and the view of the beach from our balcony were breathtaking. We loved walking on the beach everyday and loved exploring the secret beach to the left of the resort. The beach was too rough for swimming, but we were happy swimming in the pools and watching the waves and wonderful scenery at the beach.

The food was amazing, we are both big food people and we especially liked the French and Italian restaurants; the food was awesome! I loved the lobster bisque, mussels, and the duck! At the Italian restaurant the chicken parm and lasagne were great as well as the shrimp pasta. We also ordered room service one night which was nice.

I cannot say how wonderful the staff were there, we felt like royalty; they were the kindest and hardest working people, truly amazing. A special mention to Abraham who made the best cheeseburgers at the beach grill as well as Moises who always brought us wonderful drinks. From the buffet Othello and Magdelena were so attentive and sweet. Lastly, the entertainment team was so great, Lucia, Daniel, and Fabiola tried so hard to help people have a great time and I really enjoyed doing the water aerobics daily. I even lost my camera and later found out it was Fabiola who returned it to the lost and found.

Overall it was a great vacation, we were so relaxed and had the best time, we cant wait to come back!!!!!!!!!

High Ridge, Missouri, United States
Reviewed May 12, 2013

My wife and I stayed at this resort for 7 days (May 3 - May 10, 2013). This is our first Secrets resort visit... definitely will not be our last. The beach for this resort is very private as it sits alone within one of the multiple coves of the area. The sand for this area is not like the Caribbean, this sand is a lot more coarse and gets very hot, so I would recommend some sort of sand shoe. The rooms are all wonderful (all having ocean view). We opted for the Preferred and got an outside Jacuzi, but others have a shared pool that runs among a number of the rooms (great idea). Room has a jacuzi bath and a shower, with a sliding door that allows you to sit in the inside jacuzi and still have the ocean view. The room was very clean and comfortable. they have a switch at the front door you can turn on for 'do not disturb' which can be useful as on some days they start cleaning the rooms at 8AM....
Restaurants at this resort are quite varied, including Bordeaux (French), CinCin (Italian), Market Cafe (buffet), Oceana (Seafood), Spice (Asian), Tamarindo (Mexican), Castaways (Steaks), Barefoot Grill (poolside - Burgers and hotDogs). Even the finer restaurants do not require any reservations, unless you want to sit at the limited seating Teppanyaki table (which is a GREAT show and wonderful dinner thanks to Rico). most of the finer restaurant dress is casual formal for inside (so long pants for guys).... but you can dress casual if you want to sit in the patio area outside of each restaurant. As we went in the start of their off season, not all of the restaurants were open every day... but a flyer was left in your room each night outlining what was going to be open the next day so you could prepare. Food quality overall was very good, but the heavy use of green, red and yellow peppers in a lot of things tended to make some foods taste similar.
The Resort has 2 infinity pools (one with the Barricuda Swim up bar). Both pools seemed very clean, but seemed to lack some repairs as there were missing tiles within the pools, and missing tiles from the Bar, and a few patches of mold in some of the grouting, which is surprising as this resort is approximately 18 months old. A lot of the daily activities centered around the pools, making this one of the most fun places to be in the resort.
All of the staff throughout the resort were very helpful and eager to assist with whatever was needed at any time of the day. Bartenders knew lots of interesting drinks and really got people involved in trying different and unusual drinks.
At this point in time, the onsite WIFI is spotty at best. it should get better in time, but as of right now they are not charging for WIFI use, due to its lack of great performance.
All in all it is a wonderful place to enjoy yourself and make a lot of wonderful new friends from all over the world.

Room Tip: All rooms have ocean view, but the higher the floor the better the view. Purchase of Preferred cl...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed May 12, 2013

My husband and I went to Secrets Huatulco from April 13 - 21. This was our second trip to Huatulco, first at Secrets here, second time staying at a Secrets resort. It is now May 9th and after two trips to the doctor, I am still sick and on medication. On our third day both my husband and I started having major diahrea - it was shortly after eating at Castaways and we ate at Bordeaux that evening.

I asked to speak with the GM or assistant and was told I would only be able to speak to the head concierge. I expressed my concern and he proceeded to tell me why it couldn't possibly be the resort - that they are "tested" once per month with their food and water. I told him it wasn't just my husband and I, but that other people I talked with were also sick. Later, I asked to speak to the GM again and was told it wasn't possible. No "what room are you in and I'll have him call you" - just a smug response that he wouldn't be available. The front desk people are inept and clearly do not understand customer service, or how hard we work to save to go on a vacation. I was more angry at the lack of attention this matter deserved than actually being sick.

I am not exaggerating when I say I am still sick. I am still taking a prescription medication to help with the diahrea. I have been checked for parasites and thankfully, it was not e-coli. If you are planning a trip here, prepare yourself and get a prescription medication to take to help with this ahead of time.

This resort has a major food prep or sanitary issue. It is unfortunate because, as others have said, it is a beautiful resort and location. The views are spectacular, the spa is one of the best I've ever encountered on vacation and the food - to me TASTED good. (I'm not a picky eater so the food tasted just fine - it's not gourmet, it's average to very good depending upon what you order.)

The servers were excellent, maid service was excellent, and for the most part everyone was friendly. The entertainment is AWFUL - I've been to 3 star resorts that have had better entertainment than here. Two nights of karaoke - listening to people who can't sing - and a lip sync "Grease" dance show is not my idea of entertainment. In fact, most of the nights, after the show started, the bartender was nowhere to be found.

The "play" staff is poor. The don't walk around and tell you what is going on. I went to yoga one morning, at least tried to, and couldn't find them. The written location was apparently not the place where it was. The activities are the same every day - same location, same time, same activity except maybe a different drink or arts and crafts for the day. If anyone from management is reading this, switch up the schedule and activities - does archery really need to be at 10:00am everyday? Why not offer it in the afternoon at times? And, the same goes for the other activities.

We spent a lot of money on this vacation. This resort didn't compare to a Sandals, Karisma, Iberostar or Azul resorts. It's not just because we got sick that I give Secrets a poor rating. it is the poor entertainment, the boring same activities day after day, the lack of feeling pampered by staff and a few bad apples on the staff who would never be hired at any of the other resorts mentioned.

If you are planning a trip here and can make alternative plans, you will be happy you did because until this resort responds to all of us on tripadvisor, and can explain what it was that made everyone sick, and how they have rectified the situation, I wouldn't trust them with my health and well-being for one minute.

5 Thank 15degrees
Oklahoma
Reviewed May 7, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Secrets Huatulco Apr 14-20, 2013. A few years ago we stayed at Secrets Maroma (which was fantastic!) - so we had very high expectations of Secrets Huatulco after the bar had been set so high by Secrets Maroma!

To start, I would recommend this resort to anyone! It's extremely clean, the staff are wonderful, the food ranges from very good to excellent, the views are gorgeous, the area is so safe and clean, and the spa is INCREDIBLE! However, I'm giving the resort a 4 star rating of "Very Good" because I'm comparing it to Maroma which was definitely worth the 5 star rating of "Excellent".

Location: PRO's: Huatulco is such an incredible area that it's a huge selling point for going to this resort. The airport is simple, fast, easy & absolutely spotless! I was blown away with the cleanliness. It's the exact opposite of the Cancun cattle run with vendors & taxi drivers yelling at you! The 30 minute drive to the resort is beautiful & winds through the hills & vegetation. I couldn't locate a single piece of litter anywhere!! I actually saw people sweeping the streets. Amazing. The views from the resort are stunning and there are numerous untouched beaches and areas to explore. CON's: none.

Resort: PRO's: We loved the layout of this resort. This resort is built 'wide' vs 'deep' with the restaurants centrally located & the pools/beach easily accessible within seconds. It was so simple to get around quickly to everything. In addition, the ocean is so close you can hear the waves all night from your room - Awesome! The Market Cafe/gym/spa location was stunning. There is nothing better than enjoying the beautiful views overlooking the bay while you have your lunch/workout/spa treatment. CON's: The finishes at Huatulco weren't quite as high-end as Maroma. For example, the restaurant decor was really lacking. Although it's not that big of deal, it just seemed odd to 'dress up' for dinner & then go to a restaurant that wasn't 'dressed' the same. Also, we do agree with some other reviews that the resort is showing a little wear & tear. Nothing terrible, but somewhat surprising for somewhere so new. Overall, it's still a wonderful place & I wouldn't consider these items as deal-breakers.

Rooms: PRO's: The shower was amazing. Great rainhead shower with awesome water pressure + additional handheld shower. Loved how you could look right out at the ocean during your shower. Toilet room is completely separated from the main room by the shower/tub room and the frosted glass is not a problem at all. Loved the full sliding glass door that opened your room completely with full views of the bay. CON's: Room isn't quite as large as Maroma & not finished quite as nicely. Once again, not a big deal at all.

Food: PRO's: All the restaurants but one (the outdoor grill by the pool)were very good. We especially loved all of our lunches at Market Cafe, the pork tacos at the Mexican restaurant, the risotto at the Italian & the dinner show at the Japanese. CON's: The burgers at the pool grill didn't taste right. We tried it twice (just to give it a 2nd chance, but didn't go back again). We did have some mild digestion issues upon our return home. It seems like traveling can always cause a few issues...but these seemed to last longer than normal. Nothing major - but questionable in light of the other reviews.

SPA/GYM/TENNIS: PRO's: SPA was incredible!!! I recommend using it as many times as you can afford. The hydrotherapy circuit is wonderful & a big reason I picked Secrets for a 2nd trip! My husband & I haven't been that relaxed in a very long time!! I really can't say enough about how fantastic the spa is - this is my favorite attribute of the resort! The gym is nicely appointed and very clean. Great views of the ocean while you're on the treadmill. The resort offers tennis lessons by traveling pro's. I worked with a pro from L.A. & loved it. It was so great to have some one-on-one lessons that didn't cost a penny!! CON's: Tennis court is made of astro turf? Quite strange. Definitely slowed the pace of the ball.

BEACH/OCEAN/POOLS: PRO's: Had zero problem finding a beach/pool chair in the shade regardless of how late we headed down. (We usually didn't hit the beach until 11) The main beach & side beach were really nice for walking. It blew me away how few people would take advantage of nice walks on the beach! Good for us though - it was like walking along our own deserted island! There were so many sea shells - it was fun looking at the varieties. The sand was a rougher texture, but I actually liked it. My feet were so smooth by the end of the week! Plus, the sand doesn't stick to everything - it just wipes right off! The Pools were large & relaxing. CON's: The ocean is really rough, but this was expected. It's the Pacific - not the Caribbean!

Overall, I felt this resort was a solid 4 - Very Good rating. I would recommend it easily. If you want a slightly higher end experience, then I recommend Maroma. But by no means does that take away from Huatulco. I would return easily.

Room Tip: I'm partial to great views. So asking for a top floor room is the way to go here. Loved starti...
6 Thank jaaOK