We just returned from Secrets Huatulco. We booked a Preferred Swim-out room and were simply delighted with it. Our return flight to Calgary was cancelled after several delays/ hours so we had to spend another night there. We were given a standard room, which was very nice -- Building 3, 2nd floor.
The rooms are all beautiful – large, modern and extremely clean. The Swim-out rooms are located in buildings 1, 5 or 6. Building 1 is high up and near the lobby. The view is nice, but .... it's far from the beach. Building 5 is by the quiet pool. The swim out room view was perfect from here. Building 6 is near the activity pool, the 1st floor rooms would not have a view of the ocean, only of the pools. I would recommend you request Building 5 - book a standard room or swim out. If you book a hot tub room, you will be on the first floor of the other buildings, and you must fill the tub yourself. The glass door in the bathroom is not a big deal, it’s frosted glass and so is the shower. No problems with privacy. One caution would be with the room service door. It is accessed from the outside of the room, so make sure you don't store anything on that shelf and that you latch the door when not being used. You may want to bring your own pool floats, didn't see any provided by the hotel.
The food at this resort was really good. We ate at all restaurants, and had no complaints whatsoever. The service was also very good. Yes we had to wait a bit, but we are on vacation and in no rush. The staff work very hard to please, and you can see that. The wine was really good. Ask for the Chiliean wine but the Mexican wine as also pretty good. Room service was fast and efficient, and since we had a swim-out room, we enjoyed breakfast outside several times. We also had waiter service during the day for drinks. Please tip the waiters, they also work very hard. There is a coffee shop by the theatre that makes specialty coffee and sweets, cookies -- very nice. The entertainment is typical -- not great, but entertainment is not why you book Secrets. If you want entertainment, book a cruise or Las Vegas.
We took a taxi around the area for $20./hour. Drove us to the highlights, took photos. We toured for 2 hours. It is very safe in the area, we walked to La Bocana Beach. Not that far, and felt very safe. We passed by many security guards on the road and we're later told that a new RIU hotel was being built at that location.
The beach is nice, yes there are jellyfish – it is the ocean! Secrets has no control over that. The weather was perfect & hot …. No need for a jacket here in the evening. My husband took free sailing lessons, and really enjoyed it.
We tried the “fried grasshopers” at the Mexican restaurant, they’re pretty good!! One good thing about the restaurants, if the men do not want to follow the dress code by putting on long pants, etc. you can still go to the a-la-cartes as each has outside seating as well as inside. We thought that was a nice feature.
WiFi is available at no cost, choose the one with the best connection. Username is Secrets.hux, password is secrets2011. They have computers for use in the Vacation Club room if you don't want to bring your own. If you booked preferred club, they are also available there.
Overall, we liked it here. Would return and would recommend.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The enchanting Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa sits on the Pacific coast in Huatulco - a sustainable tourism destination recognized for its commitment to the local environment. Beautifully secluded on the Conejos Bay, guests at Secrets Huatulco are treated to divine views of golden sand beaches, stunning rock formations and sapphire waters. Exclusive Unlimited-Luxury(R) amenities start with limitless gourmet fare and top-shelf spirits, pool and beach wait service, and 24-hour room and concierge services. While 399 gorgeous suites offer daily refreshed mini-bar, spectacular views, plus a furnished balcony, terrace Jacuzzi, or swim-out pool access. Take part in daily activities and nightly entertainment, or a pampering treatment at the Secrets Spa by Pevonia. Guests can even spend a night out with the Sip, Savor & See Dining Experience at the nearby Dreams Huatulco Resort & Spa, to enjoy more fine dining and entertainment. Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa - Enchanting. Secluded. Divine. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Despegar.com, Travelocity and Jetsetter so you can book your Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Secrets Huatulco Resort And Spa
- Secrets Huatulco Hotel Huatulco