“Two Weeks in Paradise”

Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 47 Hotels in Huatulco
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed February 21, 2013

We spent two weeks at Secrets Huatulco from January 18th to February 1st. The Hotel is just beyond beautiful, marble throughout, rooms all have a beautiful view of Conejos Bay, especially if you stay in Bldg. 1 on the 3rd floor! We spent our 50th anniversary there and could not have picked a more beautiful spot. All service was exceptional, food was delicious and plentiful and two restaurants, namely Castaways and Oceana had a view to die for. We loved everything about the hotel, beach was uncrowded and spacious, pools were large with plenty of umbrellas and chaise lounges. I especially loved the entertainment in the evening, always a little band playing after dinner, plenty of dancing, variety of music, sometimes latin, sometimes more popular music, always good to dance to, comfy lounge areas to just sit and enjoy your drink if you just want to listen and gaze at the beautiful views from the Sky Bar! This was one of the most romantic trips we ever took, and we have been to Dreams both in Huatulco and in Tulum and Puerto Vallarta, but this is our favorite and our first adults only which even made it more special. We are hoping to return in a year, Huatulco is unspoiled and the weather there was just beautiful, sunny every day and in the high 80's with always a breeze, and the nights were as tropical as you can get, so very beautiful. Try it, you'll love it, it is well worth the price.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Iguana66
Sechu EConcierg... A, General Manager Assistant at Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2014

It was our pleasure to have the opportunity to host your holidays. I am glad to know how much you enjoyed spending time at our hotel and spa highlighted by our staff’s attentiveness. Our mission is to create memories by exceeding our guests expectations and I'm very pleased to read that we accomplished this goal during your stay. I look forward to welcome you back in the near future and provide you another incredible experience.

Best regards,

General Manager Assistant

Write a ReviewReviews (4,258)

Reviewed February 21, 2013

Just returned from secrets onFeb 19th .We had a great time. Weather was incredable. Very hot every day. Lots of room at the pools allthough at the big pool too many people smoke while in the pool. Bring your own inflatable. Food was very good at the buffet and the other restaurants.The spa was awesome, highly recomend to everbody. Great staff, all where very helpfull. Only drawback of our stay was the smokers. Seems to be no boundries as to where they can or can't smoke.Besides that we loved our stay at secrets.

3  Thank Lyndon E
Reviewed February 20, 2013

We just got home from secrets, it was paradise. Have never seen such a large pool, or should I say pools. This is adults only resort and was very peaceful. The resort is large enough that we never felt crowded. On the whole the staff was extremely friendly, and quite efficient. Rooms were very nice, and the maid service was great. The restaurants were excellent, and really liked that we did not have to book ahead of time. We could eat in the same restaurant every night if we wanted.

I really hate to say this but it was paradise to all of us (6 of us). Would definatley recommend this hotel and if you don't stay here, just being in Huatulco was heaven. Weather was perfect everyday we were there. We were there for 2 weeks.

Room Tip: The higher up the better, although the more expensive rooms are lower, but your view is not as nice...
6  Thank jamaicafuninthesun
Reviewed February 20, 2013

We vacationed at secrets resort in Huatulco and simply found paradise! The resort was clean. Food was good for the most part. Staff is pleasant. Entertainment was great. Relaxing wonderful spa. Lots to do. If you enjoy resting, there are a lot of spots on the beach or around the pool. Our trip was wonderful. A very upscale quiet resort! Just gorgeous!

6  Thank tmvallis
Sechu EConcierg... A, General Manager Assistant at Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to submit this wonderful review! I'm sure this will be very helpful to our guests. I encourage you to keep my contact information and please let me know when you are ready to come home again.

a_gerencia.sechu@secretsresorts.com

Reviewed February 20, 2013

My wife and I agree that Secrets Huatulco has been our best vacation resort, so far. As a destination, Huatulco is hard to beat. It’s a long flight from Alberta but it’s always sunny and warm there—28 to 30 degrees. We've tried a number of four star, and less, resorts, to our disappointment. We tried a five star resort in Cabo where it was barely warm enough in January to be out on the beach and one in Tulum, where it rained for the entire first week of our two-week vacation. Secrets is a new resort, so everything is new and up to date; nothing in the rooms needed repair. The five star rating is worth the extra thousand or so dollars, in our opinion. The higher price is reflected in the better food, the better house wines, the better beach lounges, even in the somewhat better class of clientele.

One big appeal of Secrets is that it is adults only. The absence of children is a huge positive factor in our opinion. There are no kids screaming in and around the pools. There are no children screaming in the restaurants while we're trying to have a relaxing dinner. That being said, there are still more than enough children. Being that each alcoholic drink lowers a person's apparent age by about a year, there were lots of fourteen-year-old children running around, as evidenced by such things as our getting on an elevator to find all the buttons pressed. Even so, I doubt we’ll ever go to back to a family resort; adults-only is so much better.

The resort is by itself in an idyllic, secluded bay that one never tires of looking at. The benefits of that isolated setting are that no wrist bands or towel cards are necessary, since no outsiders are likely to come in. (The down side of no towel cards is that guests often leave their towels on their lounges till the staff remove them at the end of the day, so no one else can use that lounge.) This is the first resort we have been to where restaurant reservations are not necessary. It seemed to work very well; the guests seemed to spread themselves out among the restaurants evenly enough to prevent overcrowding. Only once did we encounter a short line-up at one of the restaurants and we just went to the next restaurant instead of waiting. We usually went for dinner shortly after six o'clock, so I don't know how it was later.

Others have said that the French restaurant is the best for food and service and we have to agree; we went there four times. We went to the Mexican restaurant once only; it took us a grueling two and a half hours to get out of there. The waiter tried to take our dessert order before he'd brought the main course. That didn't bother us; I'm not sure I could keep track of all the orders and guests that they have to. But it seemed to throw the waiter and he just never came around again, with water or wine or to take our dessert order. We wondered if he had gone home or something; we couldn't even catch sight of him. We finally flagged down one of the people who was clearing tables and told him that we had been abandoned; he got our waiter back. The waiter apologized and we finally got our dessert and coffee with Kahlua, but it was a lengthy ordeal. It might have been an isolated incident but we never went back to the Mexican restaurant for dinner, although it was our favorite breakfast spot.

We went to the Italian restaurant once. It took us one and a half hours to get out of there, not that unreasonable and we had nothing better to do. But still, the service dragged and we never went back. We liked the Spice restaurant and the Castaways steakhouse and went to both of those four times; the service was excellent. The food was good at all the restaurants, although we never went to the buffet for dinner—lunch only. At the five-star resort we went to in Tulum the buffet was far superior to their a la carte restaurants. At Secrets, the a la carte food was so good we didn't want to give that up for even one night to try the buffet. We don't eat sea food so we didn't try Oceana and can't comment on it, except that it seemed to be popular, or at least populated, every time we went by. We would like to see the staff make some attempt to enforce the dress code, though. It’s a little disconcerting to be dressed up nicely and then see other guests dressed like street people being seated close-by. There is seating outside of the fancier restaurants for those who refuse to dress properly. Fortunately, most of the other guests were quite good about the dress code and were, for the most part, classier than those in the four star resorts where flip-flops, shorts, Harley T-shirts and baseball caps worn backwards was common dress in the restaurants.

We found the Secrets staff to be very reactive and ready to please. Other reviewers have commented on things that seemed to be lacking or needed improving; when we went, these issues seemed to have been addressed. For example, someone complained that they went down to the more remote Castaways or Oceana restaurants, only to find them closed. By the time we went, a daily information paper was being put in each room or under the door, an English one where needed and a Spanish one for the nationals. There was a listing of the restaurants that would be open the next day and the times, among other things. It could have been more consistent; the paper was not always delivered. In those cases we just went to the concierge after breakfast to find out which restaurants would be open for dinner that day.

We had occasion to change rooms twice so I could get some sleep. The first time the guest above us saw fit to drag a chair around, hourly, it seemed, throughout the night. That's the one thing you will hear for sure from other rooms: the balcony chairs and the desk chair in the room make quite a loud noise when they are dragged over the floor. The front desk staff was very accommodating and moved us as soon as a room came available, two days later. We moved to the top floor, reasoning that if there was no one above us, there would be no problem. But there was a undulating hum or vibration that prevented me from sleeping. It was coming from the six air conditioner units at the end of the building and our room was up against them. Granted, I'm a very light sleeper; the vibration would not bother most others. Again, the front desk staff was very understanding and accommodating and they moved us to another room the next day. A few days before we left, a young national moved in beside us, apparently to attend a wedding at the resort. He was extremely noisy and inconsiderate, slamming his door and shouting at friends down the hall at two-thirty in the morning and again at five AM for a couple nights in a row. The loud music he played during the day and evening was bad enough but at least we weren’t trying to sleep then. We decided to put up with it so as not to bother the front desk staff again and after a couple days our neighbor settled down somewhat. We went by the front desk a couple days after our last move to thank the staff for their help. I thought I could detect a look of dread for a moment before we told them that we wanted to thank them all for being so helpful and accommodating in moving us twice. Then, they were all smiles. Like everyone, they appreciate commendation when due.

Another area where we found the staff very accommodating was with regard to the volume of music in places. In the Mexican restaurant, where we always had breakfast, I asked if they could turn the music volume down. They actually turned it off. A little later, someone came and asked if I didn't like Mexican music (I think they were planning to change the type of music they were playing.) I told them I like Mexican music, just not so loud. They actually turned it down and on subsequent days the volume stayed at this more comfortable level. Also in the gym, I got someone to turn the loud music down to a reasonable level. This is a big deal for me, with my sensitive hearing. Every other resort we've ever been to, they have flatly refused to turn the music down and I've had to wear earplugs. I suspect most other guests don't even notice the volume of the music but I certainly appreciated the staff’s readiness to please.

As I mentioned earlier, the beverage service is upgraded from what you'd get at a four-star resort. I especially enjoyed the champagne at breakfast, something you might see only once a week, if at all, at a lesser resort. Three flutes of champagne with breakfast and all is right with the world and it's a treat that we don't indulge in at home. Just for comparison purposes, I'll mention that at home I DO indulge in a high-end wine or a German beer for dinner every day. Still, I found the house wines to be quite good, not as good as I'm used to at home but quite drinkable, nonetheless. They had a Merlot that was good but our favorite was the Chilean Cabernet Sauvignon. The whites, which we tried a couple times were quite drinkable, as well. Compare that to a four-star resort where the house wines are barely drinkable and sometimes, undrinkable. One thing that surprised me on the first day was the Cabernet Sauvignon being served chilled, well chilled, like a white wine. I talked to the concierge about it, explaining that chilling a red wine makes it taste harsh and masks the flavor. He said he would talk to the food and beverage manager about it. After that, I had no trouble getting room temperature red wine. One waiter in the Castaways restaurant who could speak English explained to me the reasoning behind the chilling of the red wine. The wine sits in the restaurant all day at quite warm temperatures, since they don't turn on the A/C till close to opening time and it's a bit too warm for serving. But I'd rather drink red wine five degrees too warm than fifteen degrees too cold. Sure, it would be better if they could immerse the bottle in an ice bath for thirty to sixty seconds before opening it, but who has time to do that? The waiters are busy enough as it is.

I may be on my own here, complaining about the bar drinks but here goes anyway. My wife took a liking to 'dirty monkey' drinks so I gave it a try on a couple occasions at one of the pool bars. I also tried a piña colada. All three times I ran into the same problem: the bartender had a blender in which he had just made the drink I was requesting. There was a cup or so of slush in the blender and the bartender just added more ice, more booze and blended it up and served it. It was a 'slushy' version of whatever drink I asked for but without the full complement of requisite ingredients. The proportions were off, the taste was off; I just ended up freezing the roof of my mouth. I went back to drinks that are hard to mess up because they have to be made individually, like gin and tonic and mojitos. I'm sorry; I'm a purist. I tried a margarita on the rocks but it wasn't nearly as good as I make at home. The reason, I discovered from a bartender who had good English skills, is that no one squeezes key limes anymore at any of the resorts; they use a commercially prepared lime 'juice' that just doesn't taste the same as fresh key limes. I suspect most people don't notice or even care about these things, as long as the solvent level is high enough. I had read that Secrets had 'top shelf' spirits and dared hope that I might find a single malt Scotch, maybe even sherry-cask-aged. The best they could come up with was some Crown Royal, which I'm told is supposed to be good. In retrospect, I guess it was a little unrealistic of me to expect a three or four dollar-an-ounce Scotch. I also read where someone said Secrets had premium beer, so I also dared hope for beers such as Bohemia and Bohemia Obscura, but no, they have only Modelo and Negra Modelo, which I've had at four and a half star resorts. It's not really any better than the ubiquitous (shudder) Corona. The Americans seemed happy to find Bud Light at this resort. I tried one, just to see what all the fuss was about. I'll never do that again. The worst Mexican beer has more flavor and body than Bud Light.

At more northerly resorts in Mexico, most waiters know a fair amount of English. Not so in Huatulco. Most tourists know more Spanish than the waiters know English. They give the appearance of knowing English but if you try to ask for something out of the ordinary or if you ask what the ingredients are in one of the dishes offered, they can't answer. At a different resort in Huatulco I asked for a beer and the waiter didn't know what I was asking for. I could have asked for a cerveza but I didn't know his English was so sketchy. When I wanted to get room temperature red wine at Secrets, the waiters had no idea what I wanted until I asked for 'vino tinto, no frio.' So, brush up on your Spanish words and phrases. Your broken Spanish is often better than their broken English. However, there is usually one waiter in any restaurant who is fairly proficient in English. Also, the front desk and concierge staff all speak English fluently, which makes any dealings you have with them go very smoothly.

The information sheet that comes to every room specifically asks guests not to save lounges and that any 'saved' lounge will be cleared if unoccupied for more than half an hour and that your stuff will be taken to the lost and found department. It would be nice if the resort would follow through on this threat. Guests were saving lounges around the pool early in the morning and then didn't show up till ten o'clock. The saving started earlier as time went on. I looked out a couple times before sunrise and they were out there, saving the best lounges. Had I wanted one of those lounges, I think I would have taken the resort's request not to save them as tacit permission to throw their stuff off after half an hour unoccupied. But it should be up to the resort to enforce this request. However, I think they are afraid to alienate any paying customers. My wife and I avoided the whole predawn lounge-saving fisticuffs scene and went out to the beach to tan between 11:30 and 13:30 each day; we were always able to find a couple of abandoned lounges to drag off to our favorite spot in the sun. The resort would do well to put up many more palapas on the beach. There just aren't enough places to get shade. We went up to our room after tanning and opened the balcony door, which opens to six and a half feet wide and pulled our balcony chairs inside the room, since the sun shines fully onto the balcony, right up to the door frame. We would sit there, drinking beer from the minibar and read in the shade of our room and see the beautiful bay whenever we would look up. That was our solution to the dearth of shade. Others sat in the sky bar or lobby. We couldn’t stand the horrible seating in those areas; if you leaned back you ended up laying down with your head cranked up against the backrest.

We used the gym three times. It has three treadmills, three stationary bikes, three steppers, a three-station universal machine where you could do at least two different exercises at each station, and a barbell and several dumbbells. It was quite adequate for us to do our weightlifting routine and our peak 8 running and, of course, the stuff is all fairly new, so it all still works.

As with any resort we’ve been to, the other guests have been our main cause of complaint. The resort can’t be held responsible for their poor conduct—it’s just the me-first world we live in. We have nothing but praise for the majority of the Secrets staff. We love this resort and will be back.

Room Tip: All the rooms have a direct ocean view. Most rooms have a view of the whole bay, although the bottom...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank sulfonic
Sechu EConcierg... A, General Manager Assistant at Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2014

Best regards,

Reviewed February 20, 2013

Wish I could review Secrets, as we booked in Sept/12 for this resort, however, during our drive to the hotel in a van, told we were being taken to Dreams they were overbooked. I will never stay with this hotel chain again, if Riu or Iberostar open hotels Huatulco we would return. First, we booked a preferred club, junior suite with jacuzzi....we got a hotel room at Dreams looking at a hill, no ocean view whatsoever... and no suite at all. In the van we would have everything at Dreams that we had booked at Secrets, we were told we could go over to Secrets, NO, denied access at the gate and were not allowed into the facility even though that is where we booked. Unfortunately, we were not the only couples, they were many of us from Regina, Winnipeg, Chicago that were treated this way. No one wanted to take responsibility the first day, we were given the run around, no anwers, Sunwing blamed the hotel chain, hotel blamed Sunwing....
Dreams - would not return to this hotel.... food is barely okay.... ate at the Seafood Grill (one would expect seafood right) one fish entree was all that was on the menu... steak, ribs, chicken.... they did have adults only pools, however, many guests could not read or just didn't respect the signs, and kids were in the pools. Now when you have booked a nice romantic week with your husband at Secrets, adults only, it is not enjoyable sitting in a restaurant having dinner while kids are screaming and crying at the table next to you.... was not enjoyable at all, so we went off the resort to eat. At Dreams, you have to be up at 5:30 AM in the dark to try and get a lounge chair by the pool, and many days, chairs were reserved beside us, and people didn't show up until about 1:00 pm to use them.
As for our money back, offered a free week next year, not likely, why would we book a free week there when we couldn't get a week and we paid for it... next offer was only the difference in cost between the Secrets and Dreams, so they still get 100% of their money, no compensation for a ruined vacation from this chain!

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank J A
Reviewed February 18, 2013

We are two couples in our 60's and like to get away every year to someplace warm. This year we tried an all inclusive. (usually we have done cruises) Secrets Huatulco was recommended because we didn't want 1. party atmosphere, 2. place where kids are running amok or 3. Where food and drink is outrageously expensive. Secrets Huatulco fit the bill in every measure. As other reviewers have stated it is less than two years old. The resort is spread out pretty well so that you never feel crammed in. The staff is very accommodating, with a few glitches caused by language problems, but they are so darn nice that usually things get figured out in no time. The favorite expression there is "My pleasure" The food was good to excellent, and very plentiful. the mixed drinks are not strong, but that was OK with us. If you are a beer or wine drinker you won't be affected by that anyway. The Huatulco area is picturesque and the people are very friendly. We had never been to this area of Mexico before and were pleasantly surprised to find it so welcoming. If you go, be prepared for the heat--the sun is very intense. We saw quite a few people with bad burns the first day or two there. Also, be aware that there are a lot of stairs without hand rails and hidden steps in and around the public areas. These are very slippery when wet. We saw a few people who had fallen either in the public areas or in their rooms (the floors are tiled) and were in slings or casts by the end of their vacations. All in all I loved this place and would love to go back.

Room Tip: Building 1,2 or 3 to be closer to restaurants and lobby. Building 5 or 6 to be closer to beach and...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends