“Huatulco newest jewel”

Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 48 Hotels in Huatulco
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed May 16, 2012

This was our first time ever in an all inclusive hotel, and the experience was overall excellent.
The hotel had only a 10% occupancy, so only one speciality restaurtant was open every day, but food was very good, and some options from the menu from other speciality restaurants were available.
The complete hotel layout is nicely done, not spectacular architecture, more on the minimalistic side. Rooms are beautiful with good ocean views.
Pools are spectacular, they are hughe!
The beach is one of the reasons why we choose this hotel, because we knew the beches well before any construction statred there, and is is a releive to see that most of the sandy area is protected. Not an easy beavh to swim in, but walking 5 minutes you can find a very secludad and tranquil bay.
Don´t miss to go out sometimes, there is an archeo-ecological site a 5 minutes drive away, barnd new worth a visit.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
9  Thank AtlixcoTraveler
Sechu EConcierg... A, General Manager Assistant at Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to submit this wonderful review! I'm sure this will be very helpful to our guests. I encourage you to keep my contact information and please let me know when you are ready to come home again.

a_gerencia.sechu@secretsresorts.com

Write a ReviewReviews (4,368)

Reviewed May 14, 2012

There is a reason why this resort has gone from #7 to #3 since it opened earlier this year. I have no doubt it will be #1 in no time at all. We stayed here for one week from April 17-24 (I think it was the last plane in from Vancouver of the season). The resort was very relaxed and quiet with about 20% occupancy as it was the end of the season for the snowbirds. The staff at the hotel said it will be quiet for a couple months until it Mexico enjoys it summer break.

We loved this hotel. I would not hesitate to go back. It was also our first time in Hualtuco and I've fallen in love with the place. So laid back not touristy at all (like Cancun or PV). We had an swim out room in building 5000. It was the first time we had a swim out in any resort and will not be going back to a regular room.

Here is my summary of why I liked it so much:

Hotel location and grounds
The hotel could not be on a prettier bay- so gorgeous! I could not take my eyes off it. It was nice the way it was perched up on the hill. Didnt feel too overpowering. The elevator in the middle made it very quick and convienient to get anywhere. The landscape is newly planted so it was not grown in but I expect when it is - it will be very nice. The architecture is modern and suits our tastest (Im not a fan of spanish revival when its cheaply done).

Rooms
Very clean, a little smaller than other Secrets rooms. Generally well laid out. The shower is the best I have ever used. We have a rainshower at home but the water pressure was crazy. The bed was very comfortable- not too hard. Lots of towels, toiletries etc (even toothpaste!) We had the Preferrred guest package- We usually always get it but Im not sure if its needed here in all honesty. The preferred lounge lacks atmosphere. The only thing that we used was the free wifi, and the pringles and peanuts in our room. PS (wifi is no existent in the lower rooms) . The swim out was great- we were in front of the quiet pool - very nice. This side (north side) is elevated a storey above the south side swim outs (these dont have any view of the ocean)

Pools
Pools were large, clean, lots of chairs, lots of umbrellas. When it was windy it wasnt a big deal (yes they closed them up) We ended going back to our room which had shade or down to a palapa on the beach (of which there were plenty)

Spa
I agree with other guests- the spa is one of the nicest I have been too. The treatment rooms overlook the bay (so beautiful) and the hydrotherapy track is great. It overlooks the view which is truely majestic and so peaceful. We went for two massages and the quality was fantastic. The exercise room attached to the spa was also very good- lots of variety and a great view

Food and Drinks
Food was a 7.5 out of 10. It was good, flavorful but not gourmet. I have no complaints and admit I am really spoiled in this regard. The service was good. Because the resort was so empty they closed many down- with usually 2-3 open each night. They were never full and I didnt mind as we got to the ones we wanted . The drinks were just OK. The best were at the Sky Bar. I really like the Coco cafe too.

Beach
The beach is beautiful to look at but its very turbulent. There was red flags every day and for good reason. I grew up on the ocean and am not usually timid when it comes to waves and undertow but this one is wicked as the waves dont break they just crash on the shore...sometimes over 10 feet high. The lifeguard was on very close watch and told a few people they couldnt go in. I walked to the end of the beach and swam a few times but it wasnt relaxing as you could feel the undertow and had to keep your wits about you. This for me was the only downside of the resort as I am a beach person and typically spend my whole vacation in the ocean.

But dont let this stop you- its a fantastic resort

Room Tip: if you want swim out choose bld 5000
11  Thank kikivancouver
Sechu EConcierg... A, General Manager Assistant at Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2014

Reviewed May 13, 2012

My husband and I booked a getaway at the last minute to Secrets. First time to the area but we have stayed at other Secrets resorts in Cancun area and Dominican. The service we experienced was great. Although there were some language barriers with housekeeping staff everyone wanted to help. The room view was amazing - you could even hear the band at the sky bar on certain evenings. Some folks may not like that but it was nice to sit on the balcony, enjoy the view, and sip a cocktail. The best - location, views, amenities, spa, workout facilitates, very safe (at the resort and in town), snorkeling, sailing, beaches (make sure to walk over to the remote beach just to the south), wildlife, activities, remote, pools, distance to town (make sure to take a taxi to Crucecita) beach bar service, tours offered (3 levels of Huatulco). The least - they were still working on figuring out a system for the restaurants and service it was inconsistent - but they sure did try to make it right, need of more palm trees around the pool area for shade. If you are looking for a good tour guide Alberto Chavez is your man! Great English, very knowledgable about everything, open, proud of his country, and takes smaller groups so you receive a personal touch. The Huatulco area was just beautiful - I'm sure I have forgotten a lot since it was over 4 months ago we visited - but would love to go back in July when the area is not in the dry season when the area is more lush and green.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank ItalianBadger
Reviewed May 8, 2012

Let's get right to it. The pools; almost every pool is an infinity pool and they are all very nice. Plenty of pool chairs and umbrellas for everyone. The bar girls are constantly walking around making sure you have what you need to drink. Towels are all over so you do not have to search for a towel booth to get one. The beach; looks awesome, sounds awesome, but the sand is rough and hard to walk in. The resort is on a very nice mostly private bay with cliffs on each side. The waves come crashing in against the rocks and it's amazing to watch. The beach is not for swimming, I'm a great swimmer and I would not go in. The waves are big and rocks are under them so you could get pretty beat up if you went in the water. Also there is a huge undertow because of how steep the beach is. The resuraunts; the resort is only at 18% occupancy so there is only one restaurant open per night. The food is decent but not spectacular. I have liked my meals but the wife has not. So hit and miss on the dinners. The breakfast buffet is pretty limited but the food is good. The staff; this is the most helpful/accommodating staff I have ever encountered at an all inclusive. They are very friendly, smile, chit chat, and I never had that odd feeling of they want a tip. I do tip but they deserve it. The staff is great and will make your trip very enjoyable. The airport is about a 25 min shuttle but that due to the construction of the new highway. It's really only about 15 miles. This is my 3 day of being here so stay tuned for a more detailed review once I get back home.

Room Tip: All have great views. Swim out is not very private on the lowest buildings.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank DAREK c
Reviewed May 6, 2012

We were at Secrets April 17-24 and had a wonderful time. This resort is very relaxing and the views fantastic. Our room 3309 was the typical suite. The view from our balcony picturesque. We did have a couple of guests on each side that were a little noisy but what can you do as it was the luck of the draw. The resort being only 6 months old was extremely clean. The pools were great, however the beach was very course and the water wasn't swimable. Maybe a different time of the year this would change. We are beach people and after one day, made the pools our home through the day. We tired all the restaurants and the food was good to very good in all with the french (double cut veal chop) being our favorite. Had a great tuna steak in oceana the sea food restaurant and the service was exceptional. We did find the resort lacking a bit in entertainment. We aren't party people however a little bit more to do a night would have been better. The shows were pretty good and the entertainment staff worked very hard to make this happen. I'm sure, as the resort grows this will improve. We took a couple of tours around to see the towns surrounding the area of Huatulco and found the people everywhere to be very friendly. Went to a small town up in the mountains called Pluma Hidalgo where coffee is grown and learned a little about the people. the community, and of course about coffee. A very nice trip with a great guide. We have never tried a spa at any of the resorts we have been, but did so here and it was an incredible experience. The staff at the resort was awesome from the bell boys to the maids and always ending the converstion with "its a pleasure". There were a few special people we would like to say thank you to. Norma who seated us in the morning at the Market cafe, your smile was a lovely way to start the day. Rosa our maid cleaned our room spotless. Carlos from CinCin thank you for going out of way to make us spanish coffee. Angel our waiter in Oceana and Castaways, great job and nice one liners. Desmaris our greeter in CinCin and the french restaurants. Delores who gave me an exceptional massage, what strong hands and fingers. Last but not least Mario from the concierge an awesome guy with and great sense of humor. Thank you to all.
Rick & Sharon

Room Tip: All rooms face the ocean, so the views are fantastic
5  Thank rasras24
Sechu EConcierg... A, General Manager Assistant at Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2014

Reviewed May 4, 2012

We travelled as a married couple in our 30's for a week April 17 through April 24. The airport was a little slow when compared to larger centers like Cancun but with its white stucco walls and thatched roof its charm eased the pain of the long line up caused by the lack of customs staff. The transfer to the hotel was an adventure in itself. It took about an hour for the coach bus to leave the airport and the 30 minute drive was a little scary due to the construction of a new 4 lane highway - think no guard rails and steep drops.
Upon arriving at Secrets you are greeted with the customary cold towel (presumably to wipe the bus & airport sludge off) and cold champagne. We avoided the long check in line in the open air (read: hot) lobby and were whisked off to the preferred lounge (air conditioned) for a speedy check in. After seeing our preferred jacuzzi suite we decided to do the upgrade to the swim out suite (we planned on upgrading before we left so we weren't talked or pressured into anything). The small cost we incurred to upgrade to preferred paid for itself in the time we saved during check in alone. Even with changing rooms we were still in our rooms faster then some of the non-preferred guests!Our swim out suite was beautiful - room 5109. We had a beautiful corner unit and th ocean views were truly breath taking. I would highly recommend getting the swim out suite in building 5. The proximity to the beach, pool and Oceana were alone worth the upgrade.
As mentioned in the other reviews shade is at a premium here. There is no where near enough shade on the grounds - especially when high winds force staff to close the umbrella's around the pool which provide the great majority of the shade around the pool area. The best way to ensure you have shade is to book the swim out suite - guaranteed shade and loungers without having to play the towel game at 7am!
The inconsistencies started with the room guide - ours was missing pages, all in Spanish and it took 3 phone calls and finally a trip to the concierge to replace. A minor issue but it was a sign of more to come. On our second day the air conditioning quit on us. We called down to the front desk and asked for repair which we assumed would come the same day and fix the problem. Nope. That night we were waking up every hour to restart the air conditioning just to stay some what cool. The next day we had to ask twice for the repair. We noticed 5 people in our room, which we could see from the pool - when I checked with them to see how the repair was going they assured me it was all fixed. Nope. As we were getting ready for our dinner reservations at Spice the A/C quit again. I phoned the concierge who told me that they could not fix the problem and we would have to move rooms. The lady at the concierge said they knew for a while that the room was having problems - If they knew for " a while " then WHY did they put us there in the first place...I never got an answer to this question and I probably never will. Eventually, after getting my angry voice on, we were upgraded to the Master suite in room 5104. We went for dinner and returned for long process of moving rooms. The master suite was beautiful. It was a table for six, a huge sectional sofa, a 2 piece bathroom in addition to the large bathroom and a king bed. It was way more space than we needed but the air conditioning worked very well. After the move we were hungry, it was after 11pm so we decided to get room service. Nope. The guest services guide in that room was missing pages and mostly in Spanish. Seriously! After trying without luck to have this one replaced we went back to the old room and were able to get our hands on the guest book out of there! Too funny.
We loved Oceana - especially the salmon. We found the appetizers to be better than the main courses at all of the restaurants and the portions small - Oceana was no different but the food was very fresh and well presented. Oceana we only got to try once because it was only open the ONE time in our seven day trip. We also really enjoyed Bordeaux - the French restaurant. We ate there twice despite the men having to wear long pants and closed shoes in 30 degrees celcius weather. The onion soup was amazing. I also enjoyed the special - the Beef Tenderloin - cooked perfectly medium rare and perhaps the very best I have ever had. Finally the creme brule was fantastic - a must have. Our waiter Miguel ( I think ) was excellent. Spice, the Japanese, was just alright and teppanyaki was not worth the hassle of making reservations and the food was only a step up from that of a Kings Buffet.The sushi was the best thing on their menu but not the best. Castaways was hit or miss. I heard some rave reviews from other guests but our dinner there was a big MISS. We had a lamb course on a bed of fries (I ordered garlic mashed potato). The medium rare lamb was well done and I really think it was pork. It had a strange taste so I didn't venture beyond a bite. I ordered the salmon. We waited 30 minutes for the salmon in a half empty restaurant. The salmon was dreadfully over cooked, but at least edible, and came on the same bed of fries I had sent back. This was the only time we encountered a rude staff member.
The dining experience was sub-par for a resort claiming to be 5 star. The other problem is that none of the menu's accurately explain what it is you are ordering. They will tell you the main ingredients but that is about it and your left guessing from there. We often would order what we thought was a salad and get a couple of shrimp or scallops in the middle of a plate. It kind of became a little game we played at dinner. Having stayed at a true 5 star resort in the Valentin Imperial Maya (check it out for your next trip, it was truly five star) I was disappointed by the food here at Secrets.
We were also suprisingly disappointed by the drinks here as well. As avid Mojito drinkers we could not find a single good mojito. Every bar, restaurant and each bartender for that matter, made them very differently. We did enjoy the "drink fo the day" especially the Huatulco Sea but those we not consitent either and their taste varied wildly from bar to bar. This could be said for all of the mixed drinks - so if the quality of the beverage is more important than the large sum of alcohol then you may be as disappointed as we were. Finally, the Barefoot Grill served up some seriously great Guacamole and had burgers that did not disappoint this Canadian.
Some staff were amazing and stuck with us. Norma in the breakfast buffet always seated us with a genuine smile. She is a very hard worker as we would often see her during dinner services as well. Maxima cooks a mean omelette, always polite and cheerful. Miguel at the beach entertainment hut rocks a mean game of beach volleyball - glad I could help him out and find his beloved water shoes. Marguerita and Angela, the waitresses around the pool and beach area were super hard-working friendly ladies who always had time to smile and chat, even with a full tray of drinks.
TIPS... Why do people NOT tip for service. We tipped for everything and converted Canadian dollars into Pesos because it means the staff you are tipping will not have to lose any of their hard earned money converting from USD or CAN back to Pesos. Also shopping in Pesos is a better deal than USD or CAN which they concert 10 to 1 (where as at the airport currenct exchange it is 13 to 1). Needless to say we were rather disappointed by the lack of tipping going on, especially around the pool and on the beach. Please people, if you can afford the vacation you can afford to tip - and the staff really deserve it. Pesos are synthetic meaning you can tuck them into your swim trunks so there is no excuse not to tip at the beach or in the pools. The staff here works very hard, in very hot temperatures, for less money than you and I spend on a dinner out. TIP, TIP, TIP not because you have to but because it is the right thing to do!
Huatulco is very hot and dry. Make sure to pack extra sunscreen or be prepared to pay $30 CAN for a bottle at the resort. Use your sunscreen - we saw many people who looked like shiny lobster tails and later on were whining about the pain. Duh, really. The weather there was 5 star. We didn't see a drop of rain and it was sunny every day. There was a nice breeze coming off the ocean to make the heat somewhat tolerable. They need more shade and they should build permanent structures around the pool - palapas or similar.
Overall the staff are the real secret of Secrets. The have a hard working group there and although many are new to the resort scene it is the great effort they put forth that will serve the resort well as it tries to live up to its 5 star rating. Although there were too many inconsitencies for me to give it 5 stars this time I am sure with fine tuning the staff will get it there in time. But for now the inability to get consistent good meals, drinks and other amenities hold this place back and keep me from giving it the 5 star rating it desires.
PS - If your are a smoker... There are very few ashtrays around the property. This was another pet peeve. Secrets - more public ashtrays for your smoking guests will no doubt cut down on the amount of cigarette butts lying about. Smokers, ask the bartenders for an ash tray

Room Tip: Preferred swim-out suite in building 5 has the best views and is far enough away from the activities...
10  Thank HeartMexico
Reviewed May 2, 2012

We stayed at Secrets Huatulco April 15-22, and were very pleased. The resort is new and beautiful, the views are stunning or breathtaking, depending on where you are standing!
The restaurants (although may have diff names than other Secrets/Dreams they are the same basic restaurants) have excellent food, and although the staff is still learning, they are trying, but there can be language barriers, basic spanish is very helpful here.
The servers throughout the resort serve whatever you'd like, whenever you ask. The room service is fast and very good, but they tend to over salt.
The rooms are very nice, the view from the room is fantastic, and the best water pressure of any resort.
The sand on the beach is rough, and the 'no see ums' that people speak of are ants, very tiny, but they are all over the beach and pool area.
The ocean is rough, and not very suitable for swimming, but it is just beautiful.
We used the spa and got great massages, but, due to a bit of a language barrier, the manicure did not go well for my wife:(
This place is very close to fantastic, we look forward to returning, it is really a beautiful place!!

4  Thank Jon P