“Special Secrets!”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Stratford, Canada
“Special Secrets!”
Reviewed April 5, 2012

We visited Secret Huatulco in February for 1 week. I wish that we'd booked for 2 weeks! We will definitely return! the service was impeccable, and the employees all did everything to make our stay exciting and fun.We've been to the Secrets in Maroma, Silversands, and to the one in Punta Cana, and this one is above and beyond the others. The food was wonderful, the beach magnificent, and the room was spectacular!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank chranP
Sechu EConcierg... A, General Manager Assistant at Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 5, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to submit this wonderful review! I'm sure this will be very helpful to our guests. I encourage you to keep my contact information and please let me know when you are ready to come home again.

General Manager Assistant
a_gerencia.sechu@secretsresorts.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,213)
Reviewed April 5, 2012

All I can say is WOW! Some friends of ours traveled to Huatulco last year and stayed at the Dreams Resort and loved the area, so they invited us to tag along and try the new Secrets Resort. It was fantastic! From the check in experience all the way to our airport transportation. The staff were all fantastic, there was some language barrier on my part, I speak no Spanish! But overall communication was easy. Even though gratuities were included, a few dollars here and there compounded our wonderful experience. The rooms were beautiful and very clean and the food was good. Our favorite Restaurant was Spice where we enjoyed sitting at the grill and enjoyed a fabulous show! For my first experience at an all inclusive resort we made a great choice in the Secrets Huatulco. The Spa was fantastic! They Hydro Therapy experience was amazing and totally worth the experience!

6 Thank Nmarch13
Sechu EConcierg... A, General Manager Assistant at Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Dear guest:

First of all let me thank you for your message and staying at our resort in your past vacations.

Let me assure you that your feedback is very important and that we will take in account your comments; since our mission is to offer the best quality service to our guests.

It has been our pleasure to attend you in Secrets and we hope to see you again.

We wish you a pleasant day and week,

Best regards.

General Manager Assistant
toronto
Reviewed April 4, 2012

Well where to start?
I'll try not to repeat what everyone else has said...but pretty easily the best AI Resort now in Huatulco unless you are travelling with children, then definately hit Dreams. We have been to Huatulco numerous times (and yes I forget to review -so thought that I would do it while it was fresh)
Food - Bourdeaux awesome (ordered the veal chop and catch of the day was tuna)
Spice - didnt do the hibatchi thing (didnt want to) but hung at the Sushi bar with a few friends and had a ton of fun, got to watch the show and eat sushi, sahimi and a couple of other dishes loved it
Castaways - if you like shrimp order the shrimp fajita, forget about the tortillas and munch away on a plate of some of the best shrimp we have ever had in huatulco.
ordered lamb one night and it was a little under done for my taste - no problem sent it back, drank more wine and voila it was perfect
barefoot - 1 lb burgers, great guacamoli and fresh tortilla chips not to mention the beer....mmmmmmm beer
market cafe - breakfast was a little weak, not really too much variety, no cheeses to speak of nor variety in egg choice as in quiche or ready to eat hard boiled etc no fish...lots of fruit though and of course, sparkling wine for momisas is always a plus
preferred lounge - was nice because there is NO INTERNET in the rooms and they say that they are working on it, but they also said that the 2 times that we stayed at Dreams not a deal breaker, but if you are going to spend any time working or need a quiet place to skype for business etc the lounge is great. not to mention they have don julio anejo in there and no where else ;-)
sky bar - fun, bartenders where awesome never waited for anything and they were always trying to get us to drink more.
shows - didnt see any but heard that they were good from quite a few people
activities - tons to do, not only with the activity staff at the resort who are fantastic and full of energy but if you are adventurous Huatulco has everything that a place can offer. you just have to seek it out.
Pools - great clean super warm
water - you've seen and read the reports it's all true
beach - spectacular, you never have to worry about finding a spot or shade they have added a ton of palapas, unbrellas and chairs.
staff - a lot of management that were at dreams are now over here. they were doing a fantastic job over there and even better at secrets cant thank them enough for what they do.
Heres the preacher portion of our sermon...TIP PEOPLE - its been said over and over, I realize that a lot are new to this, heed the advise...its an echo you get what you give.....you don't have to go overboard but lets not forget they are in business to make money and you want them too so that they have good standard of living and can provide all of you wonderful travellers with the exceptional service that you have come to expect..read into that what and however you want
Demographics - late 30's to blue hairs not young and definately not a bubba and cowboy hat place. but would think that with a pool bar, and the amount of people that we spoke to that usually hang out in Cancun, PV or Cabo. that were there for there first trip to huatulco its will be busy soon enough
sport bar - fun times
PM me if there is anything that you need to know I'll try to help
Have fun

Room Tip: Building 5 swim up if you like it a little quiet - Building 6 swim up if you like it a bit more live...
8 Thank luvingthesouth
houston, texas
Reviewed April 3, 2012

My husband and I had the pleasure of staying at this wonderful resort March 23-30. We flew direct from Houston. Customs was a breeze, and we were on the way on no time. When we arrived at the resort, we were greeted with huge smiles, as well as a glass of sparkling wine and a cool towel. We were shown to the preferred club, where we went over our reservation. I had requested a room in building 5 or 6, and we were pleased that they accomodated the request, and placed us in swimout room 6108.

When were arrived at the room, there was a birthday banner hanging on the door, and a beautiful birthday dessert on the table. I was starting of my 40th in style!

We quickly changed into our swimsuits, and went out to get they lay of the land. The resort is very spread out, and it took a full day to get to know it. We loved exploring!

Went down to take in the beautiful beach. I thought the website pics had to be doctored. I can tell you it is EXACTLY like what you see on the website. One of the prettiest beaches I've ever seen. It is true that the sand gets really hot, so make sure you bring water shoes, so you don't have to make a mad dash to get some relief for you feet! We had a red flad all week. People did swim in the shallow areas under the very watchful eye of the lifeguard. He takes his job very seriously. There are plenty of palapas, and a few swinging beach beds. We actually had a wonderful surprise. This is the first vaction I've been on where I saw NO palapa/swing bed hogging!!!! People were actually using them for a bit, and removing their things so others could use. How refreshing!

We did one excursion with a wonderful man named Candito. You can find him on the beach. He took us out for a fishing/snorkeling trip. We catch 2 mahi mahi and one tuna. So much fun! Then off to Playa Entrega to snorkel. Best snorkeling I've ever done. Saw at least 10 kinds off fish. When I snorkeled in Jamaica, it was nice, just didn't see much.

We found the food to be very good. You certainly can't go hungry. You could grab a quick bite at the grill without ever having to change out of your swimsuit. Our favorite lunch was the chicken mole at Castaways. Great service, too. For dinner, our favs were Cin Cin and Bordeaux. Very good filet cooked to perfect, as well as a gorgeous lamb dish. We had hibachi at Spice, which is always fun, but our chef was VERY nervous. Poor guy! He still did a great job. They also had an Italian and Mexican theme nights.

The entertainment team was a ton of fun. These people are around all day hosting a ton of activities. There was water areobics, zumba, bingo, Spansih lessons, tequilla tastings, water volleyball....the list goes on and on. Just consult your Sundial letter which is placed in your room daily, or the dry erase board by the swimup bar.

Nightlife was fun, and we met a ton of great people. Skybar was always hoping! There was dancing and live music, and the drinks were flowing. Good times.

The resort was operating around 30 percent capacity while we were there. In one year, the "secret" will be out!

We also went to La Crucecita and at at La Crema. Very good, and a lovely little town.

Don't hestitate giving this resort a try. We would go back in a heartbeat!

For referrence, my hubby and I are both 40. We have stayed at Couples Negril, and Swept Away, Secrets Maroma, and Silversands.

Happy Travels!

9 Thank lew
Sechu EConcierg... A, General Manager Assistant at Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 21, 2014
Dear Guest,

We thank you very much for your message. We are pleased to know that you liked our service and installations, and we appreciate that you are sharing it through our Trip Advisor account.

We hope you will have the opportunity to come back again to our resort.

Best regards,

General Manager Assistant of the Hotel
Tillsonburg, Canada
Reviewed April 3, 2012

We stayed at this resort from Mar 20 - 27, 2012 - the daily resort newspaper said 100 degrees, no exaggeration, it was. The ease of check-in at the preferred club thru check out was a breeze. All the hard working and honest employees made our stay very enjoyable.
We had some waiting at the a la cartes but this is why we're there - enjoy the company and relax. Food was great. At the World Cafe more seafood dishes could have been made available, scarce at this restaurant. Violeta was the waitress to get here, wonderful girl! The Coco Cafe for the flavoured coffees was a nice treat as well.
The red light indicator instead of "do not disturb" tag for the room door was a great idea. No need to take shampoo or conditioner, all made available.
We used the room service once, very timely and great food.
Drinks awesome.
Bed and pillows very comfortable.
There was the towel game in the mornings, if you weren't an early riser, the umbrella areas were taken quick, especially with those hot temperatures, shade is a premium.
A few resort floaties available - I took my own and loved the lazy feel in the pool. Towels are available in baskets and chests, no need to worry about a towel card. Loungers were exceptional, big and comfortable.
We thought the shows started too late and never did see one- had to get up early to get that shade! Some music by the Sky Bar - very good!
Sorry, the Dreams Riviera Mayan had the better preferred club lounge as far as snacks and ambiance -just for comparison, but extremely helpful employees none the less.
There is contstruction on the roads coming and going to the airport, their making the roads wider, more lanes. Can be scarey going by some of those ravines.
but .............
We loved the bay view and it was paridise while we were at the Secrets Huatulco.

5 Thank Kovaca
Sechu EConcierg... A, General Manager Assistant at Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
Dear Guest,

We hope you will have the opportunity to come back again to our resort.

Best regards,

General Manager Assistant of the Hotel
Indiana
Reviewed April 3, 2012

This is our third stay at a Secrets (previously two others in Riviera Maya area). First, let me say that the hotel, grounds, location, and pools were AMAZING. The views are incredible, the weather is always hot and sunny, and the sound of the ocean is unbeatable. Although it wasn't safe for us to swim in the ocean, it was gorgeous to look at and was one of the most scenic places we've ever stayed. However, it was probably our least successful Secrets stay due to the newness of the resort. In a year or six months I think it will be there as it seems like they've dramatically improved in the 4 months they've been open so far.

Check in - Fast, easy, and efficient. Friendly staff, got our keys right away, and the bell hops are speedy. One of the best ever - and champagne never hurts ;)

Rooms - We were first put in building 6 (be careful - the brochures label the bldgs with letters, but they're really numbers - one side is bldgs 1, 3, 5 with one being the highest up,and one side is bldgs 2, 4, 6 with two being the highest up). We did not like the view, and were unhappy to overlook the swim up bar. So, we asked for a change to a higher room (which our travel agent had requested at booking) and were moved the next day to the third floor of bldg 2 - room 2319 - great room. I think bldg 1 or 3 would have better views. Beds comfortable, shower great, cleaning of room was inconsistent in terms of timing, but was well done when it was done.

Pools/bars - Awesome. No complaints here. Bring your own floats. They did run out of mint while we were there so I was a little irritated that I couldn't get mojitos.

Food - Average. Not up to usual Secrets standards, but I think they're working on it. The servers tried very hard and were willing to get things right. I speak Spanish so had no trouble communicating, but some people found some of the servers were still working on their English and it was hard to get answers about menu items and ingredients. But, you're in Mexico. They speak Spanish. I guess my point is, it's something you have to deal with if you travel to their beautiful country. The menu selection just wasn't quite as good as Silversands when we were there two years ago. Also, due to the limited number of guests right now, not all restaurants were open - just pay attention and if you rotate you should be able to do all of them in one week - we did.

Room service - Never used it, but heard good things. They do tend to knock really loudly and woke us up two or three times alerting the room next door, which was a little irritating. The doors didn't block the sound very well.

Weather - Can't beat it. 100 and sunny every day. If you're not a heat seeker, go somewhere else.

Shade/pool chairs - We're early risers so had no trouble here. Our last two days they added tons of umbrellas so everyone seemed to find shade ok. As some other said, they close them if it gets too windy so be prepared for that. We were able to get one of the swinging hammock beds on the beach one day too (and not even super early). I guess it's all luck with those.

Hints - if you're a sunrise person, there's a secret path (near where the snorkeling area is) that goes to another beach. My husband and I went over there two days and saw two of the most gorgeous sunrises I've ever seen and we were literally the ONLY two people on the entire bay. Amazing. If you're a runner/walker - there is a nice sidewalk outside of the hotel and I felt safe with my husband. I'm not sure I'd do it alone - there aren't many people out and about and the cars go pretty fast. I liked having someone with me. The gym at the resort is adequate (3 treadmills, one elliptical, 3 spin bikes, a stair climber, and some free weights). But, the gym is HOT and humid and it didn't seem like it mattered what time of day I was there. Be prepared with some bottles of water!

Would I stay here again? Yes. Is it perfect? No. But they're working on it. They have the location, the weather, and the right attitude. Any new resort has growing pains and this one is no exception. Give it a chance before the Huatulco area gets crowded and too busy!

Room Tip: I'd recommend bldg 1, 2 or 3 - and try to get third floor if you're looking for a good view...
5 Thank traveling_teacher611
Caledonia, Ontario
Reviewed March 29, 2012

We were at the this resort the week of 20-27 March 2012. Flight was on time and bus transfer was there, we waited on the bus about 20 minutes- not sure why.
Arrival was greeted with chilled towels and champagne. We hadn't booked the upgraded room, thinking we'd enquire once we arrived- to get the swim up at time of booking would have been another $280 for the room for both, on arrival that jumped to well over $420 and apparently that was 50% off!
Rooms are very nice, bed comfortable, shower was great. We had to call twice and ask about bathrobes and coffee for the coffee maker but they arrived eventually.
The hotel is built on a hillside and to get to the beach/pool area involved a fair bit of either stairs or elevators which we didn't care about but for someone with mobility issues might find it a bit challenging.
Breakfast was always in the buffet areawhich offered a good selection but had the strange habit of moving where certain things were located around the place.
The beach is got quite a slope to it, better swimming is off to the one side where there's less wave action. Lots of chairs and palapas were available but definitely a need for sandals or beach shoes as the sand gets hotter than the surface of the sun by early afternoon.
Pool area is huge and beautiful, they were getting more umbrellas but shade asround the pool is at a premium, get up early if you want a good spot or one close to the lower pool bar area.Tons of available towels which was nice and great to not be limited in how many you could have. The drink service at your chair started off with them bringing bottles of water and a few tips kept the waiters checking on your beverage status for the rest of the day.
Restaurants are rotated thru which are open and we ate at the steak house Castaways, Oceana for seafood, CinCin for Italian and Spice for Asian. Just walking up and putting your name in is great and the longest we waited was about 10 minutes. We didn't book the Teppanyaki table at Spice but the other food and sushi were good to my uneducated palate. The house wine is quite nice and plentiful or if you want to splurge there is an a la carte wine list at extra cost.
Overall we loved the place. I think in the next week where the occupancy is going to soar from the 25% we experienced to over 85% will be the real test. We would return in a heartbeat, just hope it doesn't get priced out of our snack bracket.

Room Tip: Higher buldings have a better view, internet pretty good in our room in building 3.
10 Thank bunifluff