“Hard To Imagine Anyone Not Enjoying This Restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Terra-Cotta

Terra-Cotta
Ranked #2 of 174 Restaurants in Huatulco
Good for: Special occasions, Kids, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Brunch, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: When you're in the mood for good times, pleasant dining and great cuisine, Terra-Cotta can't be beat. This air-conditioned restaurant offers an inviting atmosphere that is perfect for casual dining with family and friends. The menu at Terra-Cotta features a wide array of great selections made only from the freshest and highest quality ingredients, with something sure to please every member of your group. Terra-Cotta has established itself as one of Huatulco's favorite culinary destinations and is sure to offer you an enjoyable dining experience every time you visit.
Kingston, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Hard To Imagine Anyone Not Enjoying This Restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2011

This is a beautiful restaurant to be in--well-run, immaculately clean, comfortable seating, Moroccan-tinged decor, air-conditioned (or an outside terrace where smoking is permitted). The service is attentive. The menu is varied and extensive. The food is fresh, well-prepared, well-presented and tastes great. Not only that, there's an ice-cream parlour on the premises with fantastic flavours of gelato. This place, just off La Crucecita's main square, is an oasis.

Visited January 2011
1 Thank jim154992

Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
“Terrible restaurant, both food and service were really bad.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2011

We can't understand why anyone would rate this higher than awful. Not one of us four had a decent plate. Service as well was really bad, the waiter did not bring all of the dishes we ordered, which as it turned out , was fine since it was all so lousy. Listed on menu USDA choice meat, it was not. Very tough, even waiter admitted it was not imported meat. Mexico does produce good meat, but this was not good at all.

• Visited December 2010
1 Thank advisorshar
sammyhux, Owner at Terra-Cotta, responded to this review, January 13, 2011
I am so sorry to hear about your negative dining experience. We normally receive glowing reviews about our restaurant, most of which are listed directly under our hotel "Mision de los Arcos". I can assure you that our sirloin is USDA quality and we purchase it directly from an American meat distributor in Acapulco. You are correct in stating that Mexico also has good quality beef which is why our other five steak choices are purchased nationally.

After talking with our chef, the only reason we can think of for the toughness of your steak is that it was defrosted in a microwave. The night of your meal was on the 27th of December which was one of the busiest nights of the year for us. Because you were dining in the terrace, you probably weren't aware of the two large groups that entered the restaurant about the same time you did, because they were seated inside the air-conditioned area. Many of them ordered sirloin and because of the unusually high demand of sirloin for the night, the kitchen had to take frozen meat and defrost it in the microwave instead of letting it defrost naturally in the refrigerator.

Our waiter Eduardo is normally great and has years of experience. I know the other waiters were taking him out of his assigned table section that night to help them carry food out of the kitchen for the large tables. Possibly for this reason, you felt dissatisfied with his service. After speaking with him, he told me that he was under the assumption that except for your sirloin, everything else was fine at your table. He told me that one of the women finished her green apple and goat cheese salad and that the other two dining companions finished their appetizer of stuffed jalapeños, along with their cream of poblano soups. Because of our large portion size, they were only able to finish half of their main course and requested that the rest be boxed up to take with them (if people are unhappy with their meal, they normally don't ask to take it home). The waiter was aware that you were unhappy with your steak which was why he did not charge you for your meal, but he said that you enjoyed the baked potato and sent you a complementary soup to make sure that you did not leave hungry. I wish that I was there to have spoken with you personally, but unfortunately, we were catering a wedding reception that evening and I did not return to the restaurant until after closing time. We obviously did not meet your expectations and for that I sincerely apologize. I hope that if you are ever in Huatulco again, you will give us an opportunity to change your opinion about our restaurant.
Wickenburg, Arizona
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“a feast for my taste buds, a treat for my eyes”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2010

In early December I spent a week at Mision de los Arcos. It was the first vacation I've had in many years and it was awesome! Not only was the cute hotel spotlessly clean with Air-conditioning and very comfortable beds, but adding to my pleasure was the adjoining air-conditioned restaurant named Terra-Cotta. After the first morning's breakfast, I was hooked. To understand the popular phrase "to die for" one has only to eat their famous French toast...incredible! I've never tasted anything like it. I don't know what secret ingredients the chef uses in the cream cheese filling but it is truly a delightful experience for one's taste buds! just exceptional. During the week I tried several of their other breakfast dishes, all delicious. Still, the French toast won my heart. Each morning I could hardly wait for the restaurant to open!
They have a street side terrace with a coffee shop serving locally grown coffee and bakery filled with oh, so good, homemade pastries. They even have an ice cream parlor and a juice bar serving freshly squeezed tropical juices. I would have my morning coffee there on the terrace while waiting for the restaurant to open. I enjoyed watching the girls preparing all the different juices for the day's customers. The terrace is a perfect place to just sit and enjoy the morning and watch the small town come to life. So peaceful, a great start to the day.
The Mexican people usually have lunch around three in the afternoon. I wanted to fit in with the local customs but that took some getting used to...however, the wait for lunch was worth it because the lunch menu is as wonderful as the breakfast menu and just as varied. They serve quite a large selection and with plenty of choices for vegetarians. Chicken soup is fantastic and if pizza is your pleasure then try theirs, you won't be disappointed.
Since dinner is traditionally served late, around 8:30 or 9, I usually sat out on the terrace in the late afternoon and had one of their homemade desserts..carrot cake is wonderful and the brownies; warm with ice cream and chocolate fudge drizzled on top...pure heaven! I don't know much weight I gained stuffing myself but it doesn't matter, every pound was worth it!
The coffee shop also serves authentic cappuccinos and espresso's plus plain old american style coffee. They use only locally grown coffee beans, grinding them fresh with each order. A trip to the coffee finca up in the mountains where they grow this coffee under shade trees was fun and interesting. Terra-Cotta's coffee shop, in my opinion, outranks starbucks any day. You can also purchase the locally grown coffee beans to take home with you, a nice gift to give to friends who will be jealous.
After a fun day filled with the over-abundance of colors, sights, sounds and smells of Mexico it was such a pleasure to have dinner in the cool fresh atmosphere that permeates this restaurant. It's so calming and peaceful. The first thing you'll notice is how immaculate everything is, then you'll see the spotless tablecloths, the fresh flowers artfully arranged on each table, the clean and neatly pressed uniforms all the smiling staff are wearing and you'll know you're in a first class restaurant. I'm from near Scottsdale Az. so I'm used to fine dining and this restaurant can stand beside the best of them! Truly first class! And the prices are a fourth of what they are in the states.
Besides the marvelous menu and Zen like ambience the quality I like best is the cleanliness. You just know everything you eat is clean fresh and safe. Traveling alone in another country I'm always mindful of where and what I eat. Absolutely no worries about this place.!
I speak very little spanish so ordering from the menu was quite funny at times but the very helpful staff bent over backwards to make sure that my order was exactly what I wanted; always with gracious manners and a sweet smile. Honestly, I felt almost like royality being served. Everything I ordered was prepared to perfection and was a gastronomical delight to eat and a delight to look upon. I loved all the fish dishes...I can't remember the names of any of them as I write this review, but I distinctly remember how I delighted in eating each one. And the deliciously seasoned, innovative sauces and the chicken dishes and the pasta dishes and the salads...I can't praise the food enough. This will be the only restaurant I'll eat at on any future trips to Huatulco and I do plan to return. Staying at Mision de los Arcos and experiencing the wonderful food at Terra-Cotta made my vacation a first class, five star affair. I would highly recommend this Hotel and restaurant.
The owners of this establishment (Sherry and Sam) are a young couple who are the most gracious hosts one can ever hope for. They went out of their way numerous times to make sure my vacation was as perfect as possible. I can never thank them and their polite helpful staff enough.

1 Thank artist72
Port Moody, Canada
“Variety is the spice of life”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2010

Every meal I had this restaurant had splendid presentation and the best flavours. They offer everything from traditional Mexican (which I tried more than ever before), Italian and typical western food.
Breakfast was usually a huge plate of many fresh fruits with yoghurt, honey and granola. Or, their famous french toast with some exquisite cream cheese mixture. Mmmm... I don't remember the prices, but typically less than half of what I would pay at home. Their mushroom truffle omelet with green sauce was one of most memorable dishes. Their fish and chicken dishes, and soups and salads were all excellent and there's lots on the menus for variety if you're vegetarian.
And, I have to mention the carrot cake. This is one my favourite deserts, and this recipe is the best I've ever had!
To top off this great food, there's peaceful ambiance with style, cleanliness that you never have to worry about what you're eating or drinking and friendly, courteous staff.
They even have an ice-cream, coffee and bakery shop to serve up many combinations to tantalize your palette. The locals of Huatulco frequent this restaurant and that says it all.

New York City
“Excellent Restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2010

Terra Cotta, part of Hotel Mision de los Arcos in La Crucecita, Huatulco is very popular with locals and tourists. Dining is inside (A/C) or outside. Service and food quality was excellent.
Try the excellent chicken soup and French toast.. An ice-cream parlour is connected to the restaurant.

1 Thank JoyBennett