“Bed Bugs!!!”

Dreams Huatulco Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 47 Hotels in Huatulco
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed January 12, 2007

Athough we loved the resort, food was great, beautiful beach and wonderful staff, I came home covered in bites. My husband only had a few but I had well over 30 bites.
I couldn't figure out why I keep getting bites. I didn't see or feel any bugs bitting me during the day but everyday I was getting more and more bites. Very itchy with a hard white bump in the center. I was told by another traveller (after we got home) who also stayed at the Gala, that they were spraying for budbugs in the resort and that is when I clued into what my bites were. I am still concerned that we may have brought them home with us. I washed all of our clothes and have put our suitcases outside. It is 6 weeks later and I still have some of the bites although no new ones. It is so creepy to think about being bitten while you are sleeping. I have heard that there is a real problem in many areas with bedbugs. Not to impressed with the whole experience. Put a real sour end on an otherwise wonderful vacation.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Mexico_Lover2
Write a ReviewReviews (3,510)

Reviewed January 10, 2007

This is your opportunity to spend a week or more in paradise!

We arrived in time to celebrate a Mexican New Year's. It was fabulous. The food was delicious and the band was fantastic. The music suited all ages. Champagne and fireworks brought in the New Year. It was a memorable evening.

In response to other reviewers:

1. We never got sick----just remember Pina Coladas are a laxative and fattening! Further watch for sun stroke( use sunscreen as Huatulco is much closer to the equator than you may realize). However, if you do need medical help, the Doctor at the hotel is excellent and has no trouble speaking English.

2. During the Christmas break the resort has numerous guests who bring their children. The Gala Kids Club really kept them entertained. Unlike another reviewer, I found the Mexican children well behaved but some of my fellow Canadians need to remember that children under 12 need some rules on how to behave!!!!!!!!!

3. It was interesting to see the difference in the hotel ambiance before and after Signature arrived on Friday January 5, 2007. The families left and the party "animals" arrived. The disco and the sports bar were jammed at night...the beaches were suddenly empty before 10 am.

4. We upgraded to Gala Club because I love the perks. The Gala Club lounge is now open until 10 pm and it gives adults a chance for quiet conversation. The a la carte breakfast in the Mexican restaurant is delightful...............the food choices are similar to the other restaurants but it is nice to be served.

5. We decided to go fishing and of course we went with Valentino ( you will recognize him as he always carries a white frisbee). He has a great sense of humour, lots of knowledge about the area; good English; and can find the fish! He also charges a very fair rate.

6. The staff at Gala is exceptional. Congratulations to the management.

My husband and I are already booking our 2007 vacation at Gala. However, we will not fly with Sky Service. Arriving in Vancouver in the middle of the night is not acceptable.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled with family
23  Thank sfu_mom
Reviewed January 7, 2007

As part of a large group of 9 families, we thoroughly enjoyed almost all facets of our stay - awesome weatherr, very clean hotel rooms, comfortable, great breakfasts, lunches, average dinners. Beach and tennis were great, Except not nearly enough beach chairs - became a 645 am daily battle to secure a few !!!! Night life was relaxed, fine. Rolando on beach and Ernie were great. Ola Sergio (who speaks only 5 languages, including pretty good Yiddish!). A very enjoayble stay! Good bar, room service too! Thanks to all good staff (vs DR's many moody staff at Punta Cana places). Overall fantastic week in hot sun on a great setting. But be careful, you still can get a stomach BUG or 2 so watch yourself !

Stayed: December 2006
11  Thank TorontoLou
Reviewed January 4, 2007

Well, I thought I should do a small review, as I do enjoy reading them myself, if I am planning a trip.
Trip Advisor has been a great help to me.

We went to Huatulco in November for a week. I don't think I'd want to stay any longer unless I was doing side trips or was just working on a tan. It is a quiet place but very enjoyable.

I rated it a 6 only because the food wasn't that good. I hope I'm not starting to get fussy, as I like most anything. But I was expecting a 4 star rating in the food, and it definitely is not that! The fresh fruit is great and they do serve ice cream. And the waitress/waiters are always right there to get you a drink or clear plates away. It's a 5 star service from them!
ALOT of the people got sick, us included, all at different times. We don't know if it was something in the food or maybe a bug from the plane. Some were sicker than others. I've looked at Trip Advisor and was surprised nobody wrote in and mentioned this. Many went to the Doctor at the resort, but someone noted that he only reported that he saw a few. Doctoring the records?

We ate in the Italian restaurant once. Maybe we ordered the wrong thing, but it wasn't enjoyable. Maybe if I had a few drinks of wine, maybe things would have seemed better.

We did enjoy sitting at the larger tables.......as you got to meet people from different places. There are some tables for 4 if you want to be alone. But I recommend sitting with others.

The ocean water was very enjoyable/warm. I was concerned because everyone mentioned a dropoff. I'm not a strong swimmer, but there was no problem at all. You will enjoy the water and the waves....you just have to get past the waves and they don't get you. Saw that famous puffer fish that alot are mentioning. Do take some bread over to the rocks and see the fish come! And walk all along the beach to the far end. We saw iguanas at the far end, on the cement-like pier/walkway. White & black colored....under the scrawny tree.
We also watched some men diving for oysters. They are sold on the beach later on........I didn't have any but I saw people buying a plate of opened ones, with lime on the side.

We walked thru the bush at the other end (trailer park sign on highway) and saw some different birds. They sure put on a ruckus as we neared their perches. We were glad we ventured into the underbrush. Met George on this mud road. He was a great old guy, selling on the beach. We talked with him every day and he said we were his best customers, and we never bought a thing from him. He really just wanted friendship/someone to talk to. All the mexicans we met were very very friendly and nice. They are just trying to make a living, & we didn't meet anyone that was pushy.

They post the price of the taxi $2.50 usd. So you don't have to worry about being taken for a ride!!!

We went to the beach where one snorkels past Santa Cruz. Name escapes me. It was really good, although we went on the Mexican Revolution Day and the beach which is lonely at other times, was a bustling with Mexicans having a great family day. It was fun to watch them sit at the waters edge, laughing and enjoying their day at the beach. Quite a few wore life jackets, I assume they didn't know how to swim. We snorkelled many times, on the left side, saw lots of different fish.

We took pesos from Canada. Glad we did as you need it to pay for taxis. It was too hot to walk into town........even at night it was hot. The town was very busy at night..........I guess they think it is cooler then, but I didn't think so.
Hope this is of some value to someone out there who is going to Huatulco. I won't be going back there as I like to see different areas but I am glad I did go. It is very laid back and quiet, not for the party animal! But great for R&R!

19  Thank VanIsleGal
Reviewed December 25, 2006

Went to the Gala Beach Resort Dec. 15-22. Our travel party consisted of my wife and I and our two children, (dtr 15, son 17). We are all non-alcohol drinkers (so if you want a bar review or alcohol tips they aren't here) "virgin" drinks were very good. Booked with Jubilee Travel after seeing a deal on the "Travel Best Bets" web-site. Paid 55% of what the Signature travel brochure listed it at (late-ish booking--we were very lucky). Arrived in Huatulco around 5:00 PM. Wife took pictures of us, but her camera lens was fogged up due to the change in humidity/temp; they didn't turn out too well. Got through customs and onto the bus in good time. 20 minutes or so to the hotel. Greeted by staff and a tray of tropical drinks & beer, (very welcome indeed). Check-in was very efficient. When checking-in with (mature) teenage kids it is helpful to request "adult" bracelets as it enables them to go into the gym, disco, etc. Others with teens got "teen" (or even "child", depending on the kids' ages) bracelets and they couldn't get into the disco (they tried to sneek in but were immediately removed). Our rooms (501-502) were on the left side of the resort, away from the theatre and the disco (***very important***). We requested adjoining rooms, but the best we got was rooms next to each other. These turned out to be "Royal Gala" (little bigger, ocean view, quieter) rooms. We only paid for standard, but I guess they ran out ? (again very lucky). Rooms were spotless. Beds, as reported by so many on this site, were hard, (we liked them). We went down to the buffet, and had a great meal, great variety, very tasty. I loved the pork enchillada (SP?) and my whole family loved the little rolled up, crunchy chicken tacos, (which we found on numerous occasions on the menus, much to our delight).

Our first day we went to the Signature Tours (Canadian) meeting at 9:30, (recommended) it was only 15 or so minutes, got some useful info, (but don't always believe what they say against booking stuff with the locals; get a recommendation from some of the other guests or from the reviews or forum), and had my first cup of coffee here. It was the BEST coffee I ever had. I drank gallons of it during my stay and I'm not a big coffee drinker! Breakfast was very good. I would recommend the made to order omelet or eggs, and the fresh fruit and orange juice was fabulous. The bacon and sausage was sub-standard. My son and I had the French toast on more than 1 occasion; it was good if you get it early. A note here: the syrup is the DARK liquid; the honey is the light (it's not always labeled). We accidently put honey on our French toast and pancakes (not recommended) more than once. We prefered the main buffet for breakfast--there's a little more food and more turnover (ie fresher).

We went to the beach our first day after breakfast and we loved it. We never had a problem getting a palapa any of our beach days, mind you we were early beachers (down there by about 9:00). The water had a big undertow and some pretty big waves some days, which made boogie boarding great fun, (make sure you get up quickly after reaching the shore or the returning water will drag about 3-4 pounds of sand into your shorts and you'll look like you left a present in your pants--at this juncture you will be exceedingly happy that the sand isn't really fine). The snokeling is great by the rocks on the left side of the beach. You can also feed the fish here. Be careful near the rocks when the red flag is up, ( see my tips in the forum section).
The beach equiptment is readily available on the far right side of the beach.

The locals are right at the stairs as you go onto the beach trying to book excursions with you. If you book early and tell them so, they tend to not hound you to book with them (every day, multiple times per day--gets a little annoying after a while). We went with Coco/Jorge for jet skis; Raymond for fishing (very recommended), and snorkeling with Hurricane Divers. We went on the jet skis our 2nd day, it was great fun, 1/2 hour for $35 US. I thought about going for an hour, but was glad I didn't as 1/2 was more than enough. I'm sure you could get the price down if you wished to work at it , but I thought it was fair value.

For lunch we prefered the Ola-la buffet by the beach. The food here was excellent and relatively varied, and the coffee (hmmmmm I might have mentioned the coffee already) was great. My wife had fish every day for lunch and enjoyed it each time. It is open until 4:45 so you can also grab a late afternoon snack here....or a hamburger.....mmmmmmmm hamburger.. try the pickles they are really good. One of the very minor negatives I have is about the ketchup...it's really bad, (any Heinz reps out there, I have a job for you).

We ate at all three ala carte restaurants--need reservations (available to book from 0900-1600 in the lobby)--we never had a problem booking. The best 2 are the Mexican (we ate there twice) and Italian. The Mediterranean is good, but the entrees were better at the other 2. The desserts were superior at the buffet all the time, in my opinion (wife liked the desserts at the Mediterranean place). Check the notice board to see which theme nights are on at the buffet and don't book an ala carte on the Western night (have the pork ribs--my single most favorite food item I ate during my stay) or the Italian night (pasta bar was wonderful--cooked right before your eyes), and the coffee was sooooooooo good. Did I mention the coffee yet?

We went on an ATV tour booked through the hotel (mistake--see my tips in the forum) which was GREAT fun. Fishing with Raymond (operator off of the beach--I would highly recommend him). We caught 6 fish in 2 hours (go in the early a.m.) The highlight of our trip was an all-day snorkeling/scuba diving tour with Hurricane Divers. Son & I were first-timers, so we got a diving lesson before diving, and they took us on a 7-bay tour, and served a gourmet lunch, as well. If you do nothing else while in Huatulco, BOOK THE ALL DAY TRIP WITH HURRICANE DIVERS!!! I would have to write a review twice the size of this one to accurately describe what a wonderful time we had. Do yourself a favor and book online in advance. Not only will you get a discount if you book 2 weeks in advance or book for 4 people or more (as we did), but you can plan around this day and pick your lunch from the menu. You may want to do this trip a few days after you arrive, so you can get acclimatized first. Wear sunscreen and REAPPLY throughout the day.

If you are into snokeling, make sure you get to San Augustin; it was gorgeous.... I also heard that La Entrega was outstanding and I'm sorry that I missed it.

We went to both nearby little towns. Visited Santa Cruz first, but there were 2 cruise ships in at the time.... not fun. The local people were out in full force trying to get some of the big money-- lots of lobbying--not too aggresive, but LOTS of venders. We were told by one of the shop owners, "today might not be a good day to shop....prices would be better another day."
We went to Lacrucecita on our last day to do a bit of souvenier shopping because we had to check out of the hotel at 12:00 anyways......triple error.....it's way too stinkin' hot in the early afternoon (go early evening?). Tried unsuccessfully to find La Crema resturant for the wood-fired pizza (highly recommended on this site more than once). Should have tried to get the late check-out (5:00 instead of noon) for an extra $50--could've spent our last day on the beautiful beach (learn from my mistakes). However the people were very friendly, not pushy at all, and we got some little keep-sakes (my daughterr loved to haggle and did pretty well).

We went to the shows each night and enjoyed them in varying degrees. If you only wish to go once or twce, go to the Mr/Mrs Gala night and the International night . They are audience-paticipation and very funny (try not to get a room on this side of the building).

In closing, I would like to say that all the positives you read here in the reviews and the forum are absolutely true. The hotel is spotlessly clean. The staff are friendly, courteous, and extremely hard working. The food is great--I'm a picky eater and found so many delicious items, I couldn't count them all (I found some I didn't like also, but you can't like everything), and the beach is beautiful and great fun. The other guests that we met (I found out that I had gone to high school with 1 couple) and hung out with were wonderful. I would like to acknowledge 3 people who made our trip extra special: Roberto (and his staff) from Hurricane Divers; Raymond our fishing guide; and Filiberto our waiter 3 nights at the ala carte restaurants. Can't wait to go there again.

54  Thank Canadan9
Reviewed December 19, 2006

Just returned last week from a very relaxing experience at the Gala resort and we would turn around and go back in a second.

Huatulco is one of the few places left in Mexico that has not been overrun by the time share sellers and it feels more like Mexico, rather than a North Americanized party town.
This is not really the place you would go if you were looking to party it up, but rather a great place to relax.

Going at the beginning of Dec. meant that the resort wasn't packed which was good. There is enough space there that even if it was packed, there would still be room to move.

The rooms are spacious and very well kept. The maid service was excellent and the mini bar was always stocked. I think it helps if you tip your maid daily. Even a few dollars was enough to ensure that you get exactly what you ask for.

This was our first experience with an all inclusive. Both my wife and I travel a lot and I fully expected that this hotel would not be up to par with hotels in other areas of the world.
We were very pleasantly surprised!!! The food at the buffets was different each night and the service throughout the resort was excellent.
The drinks were never watered down and top shelf liquor can be found at the main bar in the lobby.

These people work for peanuts and yet they were always smiling and willing to get you whatever you asked for. A lot of people don't tip in the buffet restaurants, but there are wait staff there to get drinks and cleart the tables. They work very efficiently and we tipped at each evening meal. I'm not sure if this got us better service, but the general level was so good, it really didn't matter.

We only went to one of the specialty restaurants and unfortunately found the service there a bit lacking. This was probably because we expected it to be a bit better than everywhere else and it was pretty lacking.

Signature Vacations at the hotel offers excurtions and I recommend the one that goes to the falls and the coffee plantation (long drive though) and the 7 bay cruise. They are reasonably priced and well worth it.

I have to mention the staff at the water sports booth. They are great and there was always a cat there if you wanted to sail and kayaks if you are into that.

For the dollars that we spent, there is no way that we could have found a better deal.

There was only one negative for us: This resort caters to a lot of Mexican tourists and it seems that in the Mexican culture, kids go everywhere with the adults. This meant that no matter where you went, even late in the eveng, there were always kids running around. Mexican children are not as disiplined as North American kids (a broad generalization, I know).
Some would see this as endearing, but if you do not choose to be surrounded by children on your vacation, this place might not be for you.
In our case it was OK for a week, but I think it might have gotten old after two. I think that there should be areas such as the specialty restaurants that should be off limits to children.
There is an adult pool, but it is very small.

One interesting thing about the area is that the local government has limited the total number of hotel rooms that can be built there to 30k. There is 10k there not. Hopefully, this will mean that the area will hold it's charm and not become another PV or Cancun.
The local government is really making a concerted effort to preserve the parks and wetlands and it really shows. The pride that the people of the area have in their community really shines through when you talk to them.

Can't wait to go back!!!!!!
Vancouver, B.C.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple
23  Thank NeedABreakVancouver
Reviewed December 14, 2006

** Ok -so get a coffee and come back to read my long review!

We vacationed in Huatulco on November 24-December 1st at the Gala resort and it was fantastic! This review is longer than others but I want everyone to have some ideas before they leave as I checked this website every single day so I’d like to return the favour! This review will be broken down in sections so if you don’t care about certain parts, just skip those sections, as we all know that we all have different likes, dislikes and expectation, and this is my opinion and my taste so it may or may not suitable for everyone. Just so you have some ideas and perspective – we are in our early 30s, have been to many 4-5 stars resorts all over the Caribbean, Mexico and other countries for business and pleasure. Depending on the right time and place, we both enjoy a fun, rowdy vacation or a quiet one. This time around, we wanted total relaxation but not a boring atmosphere and we got both!

Skyservice/Signature Vacations: (for Canadian only)
Originally we were booked to fly straight to Huatulco at 2pm and arriving at 7pm but we were bumped to 6:30AM (which means we have to be at the airport at 3:30AM!) flying via Puerto Vallarta, arriving at 1PM so almost 12hrs! Skyservice is just that – a charter flight with horrible food! I made sandwiches for us the night before so I didn’t have any plane food and that was fine with me. There is some paperwork to fill out on the plane so get that over with and keep it with your passport. When we arrived in PV, all the Huatulco people got off first to a bus and brought to immigration area. It was pretty quick and painless, then we boarded the bus back to the plane and waited for people to board for Toronto bound after we arrived in Huatulco. We laughed at those people since we got off at the sunny Huatulco and they had to fly back to Toronto, and knowing that we will be laughed at a week later when the newcomers arrive! :)-

Huatulco Airport:
It was small compared to PV of course, but it was very personable with beautiful tall thatched roofs and lots of smiles with “ola” and “welcome”. Retrieving luggage was a breeze and quick, load it on another small conveyer belt for the Xray machine on your way out, and then press the button for random searches – green means you’re home free! I don’t think there were a lot of reds. Everyone was asked which hotel they were staying so they could get on the right bus.
When we arrived to the airport after a week vacation, the check-in line up was long. There were a few shops – gift shops (expensive) food purchases (didn’t buy any so can’t tell you much), places to sit and wait. Once you go through security, you cannot go back out. Inside the waiting area the A/C was pretty cold so if you’d prefer the cold A/C then you can always go through security early. No departure taxes for Canadian. Oh, don’t forget to bring your beer/soft drinks and water from your fridge after checking out of your room. These come in handy on the bus and while waiting at the airport! :):)

Gala Resort:
The drive to the resort was about 25 minutes and because we booked with Signature (I think only Signature flies there for Canadian) and perhaps because we have a lot of people booked with Gala, we have our own bus so we didn’t drop anyone off along the way. We received some fruit punch/beers when we arrived and directed to an auditorium for check-in, which I thought, was a smart idea so that you don’t have to line up in front of the concierge in a long line. All the luggage were at the front so after you checked in, collected your keys, just tell the bell boy which is yours and where your room is, they will have it there for you in no time. We also received our blue bracelets - this is the only negative point of the resort. I stayed in many resorts and didn’t have to wear any, it’s kind of annoying. Canadian wore blue, American wore redish orange (same with International) and Royal Club wore silvery gold colour.
The lobby is an open concept and yes it’s not as grand or with marble stones but for a resort that was built 17 years ago, I was quite impressed. It was very clean, and airy, no bugs, no trash and there was always someone cleaning.
Orientation is the next day and I suggest you go (normally I don’t) and it was only 15 mins, plus the coffee was so hot and so good, I didn’t mind at all! There were a few excursions offered by Signature Vacations for Signature Vacations clients only so you may save a few bucks. We booked a few but couldn’t go as my b/f got sick on those days so unfortunate we had to cancel.

Room:
We had a standard room and on the 2nd floor, which as first we asked to change but when we went to our room, we were fine with it. We were room 262, facing the garden, the pool and ocean; we could hear the ocean at night or early morning when the tide is high. We were 2 mins from the beach because we were at the end of the hall way facing the beach and 3 mins to the main buffet so it was great. The room was bigger than I thought. The bathroom was a good size as well, king size bed and good size drawers and closets for your clothes. They gave us 2 set of keys and the mild annoyance is - the safe is opened with a key so you have to carry it around, if you lose it, people will know where you are because it is on the same set as the room key with your room number on it; along the fridge key. The other set is just your room key but we got used to it by the next day. I just threw them both in my beach bag. I guess with the beautiful HOT weather, sun, sand and sea, all you can eat and drink virtually made the annoyance disappeared by the following day! :)- We had a good size balcony and it was nice to be able to step off your room for some air. The aircon worked great, high and low settings and your balcony door needs to be closed in order for the air con to go on. The fridge is stocked daily with beers, soft drinks, 2-3 types, 3 bottles of water (I left $US 1-2 and asked for 5 and it was no problem). After a few days the room got a little damp so you should air your suitcase out if you tend live out of it like I did, it’s the sea air, the humidity, and air conditioning blasting so it gets humid and damp, no biggy. We could hear the show at night when we went back to our room early, but it was only until 10:30p.m. and we put the bath towel at the bottom of the door so it helped a bit. Also there was a radio clock in our room and it was just a regular room, but I heard some people said they didn’t have one so you might want to bring your travel clock.

Beach/Ocean and other relevance:
Ok so this is what most people want to know (as I did). If you expect flat blue/turquoise ocean, pristine white beach and silky texture sand, you’re in the wrong area. I’ve been to many places described above and this is a welcomed change! Sand is a little coarse (although your feet get a great exfoliation for the week!) and coarser as you walk toward the other hotels – Barcelo, Crown Pacific and beyond but no big deal. There is a sharp drop toward the ocean from the beach but there ARE flat areas as well, just hang to your left toward the rocks and the Royal Gala areas. The beach towels are big and fluffy and if you want an extra one, I’m sure there wouldn’t be a problem. The ocean was wavy on some days and calm the next, usually more waves in the morning when the tide is high. You’d have to be careful with the undertows but it was fun to play in the waves or just get a boogy board at the activities hut and you sure will have some good time – or just simply float around and enjoy the weather. I’m not a strong swimmer but had no problem at all, I saw a lot of elderly people in the water as well, just stay firm with your footing when you’re entering the water and when the waves come in and retrieve. There were lots of kids played in the water as well with their life jackets on so as long as you keep in mind of those drop-offs and the undertows, especially it can be over your head about 3-4 feet out – Well, I’m only 5’1 so over mine anyway!
Save some bread and feed the fish at the rocks to your left, it was so fun! Lots of fish and they come right to you even at only knee deep. We saw this huge puffer fish and it came right up and I was able to pet it! We fed them every day! The rocks made great picture moments, especially when the waves crashed around them. If you want to climb, make sure you wear water shoes/sandals whatever, they are definitely rougher than they look and barefoot will not get you far (from experience of course).
Vendors are around; just say no gracias as they were not pushy at all, in fact they were quite nice. We bought a few things on our second last days. Didn’t bargain too much as it was not as expensive as Cancun/Mayan Riviera and because they were so nice, we didn’t mind giving a few extra dollars. There were a few shops outside the Gala across from the Barcelo (down a few steps to your left) and a coffee shop as well so you might want to check them out.
Beach service was awesome! There was always someone asking to take your orders so it was nice but how much can you drink really in one afternoon (washroom breaks too!) Besides, there was a swim-up bar, pool bar, your fridge and 24 hrs room serviced to be had!
I didn’t see any bugs or mosquitoes, just a few bees, not the big nasty ones and a few black birds. Don’t feed the birds if you don’t want to be bothered by a whole flock!
The sun was so intense in Huatulco we used 30SPF for our entire stay. I’m Vietnamese so I tan quite easily and rarely 30SPF, mostly 15SPF but since we were nearer to the equator and hardly any breeze, it was hot tamale! We alternated beach and pool and even I got into the shade a few times a day! It was fun to get a chair down near the water and have the waves crashed on my legs too cool down - bring a margarita down with you and there’s Kodak moment to be envied by your friends! There were lots of chairs and shades and we didn’t have a problem finding one even at 10AM and if not, by noon or 1PM, people would go for lunch or to the pool to cool down so never had a problem. Beach towels are large and fluffy so no need to bring your own, if you need an extra towel, you can always ask nicely and it will be accommodated. There were a lot of Mexican over the weekend (I think it was their national holiday at that time) and so large families occupied 8-10 chairs at a time but by Monday onward, it was a lot quieter.

Pools/Games:
There were a few pools and although we would like the swim-up bar to be bigger and the pool itself to be bigger as they play volleyball there as well, it was fun regardless! My b/f played tequila volleyball with a fun group from Vancouver, who were there for a wedding and the bride & groom played as well, and boy a lot of bottles were consumed for the game! The kiddy pool was quiet during the day, the adult pool was nice with Jacuzzi nozzles and overlooking the ocean, we were in there after 7pm one night, it was nice and hardly anyone was there. The pool opposite the swim-up pool, segregated by a bridge (they should have these 2 pools connected so people can have access to the swim-up bar) was not that deep, with some small water falls running down from the pool above, which was really shallow and lots of kids played in it with some benches and stalls for your drinks and the Royal Gala pool for their guests. Lots of chairs and umbrellas around all pools as well and we saw some empty chairs so shouldn’t be a problem. But, like everywhere, if you want an ideal spot for your pool or beach areas, just get up a little earlier and put your towels on the chairs, just be fair that if you won’t be there for a long time, then you shouldn’t. There were a lot going on at the pools so you wouldn’t be bored. Water polo, tequila volleyball, water aerobics, water polo, bingo, etc.

Restaurants/Food:
There were 2 specialty restaurants – Mexican and Italian. You need to make reservation the morning of the day you want to have dinner there. We came at 10AM and we got our spots each time. We ate at the Italian food twice so we can only comment on that. The food was delicious! I had the linguini fruit de mare and it was DELICIOUS! My boyfriend had pizza and salmon with herb pesto pasta, he liked it also BUT that night he was so sick and it lasted for 2 days! I suspected it was the pizza with LOTS of cheese, as we ate the same thing every day! We ate salad and drank water with ice, the only thing I didn’t eat was his pizza! I didn’t hear anyone else got sick. We never got sick before and I think it’s just a random thing; it could be a combination with lots of drinks, the spicy food since some can tolerate a lot more than others. We saw the doctor the next day and he was great, he prescribed some meds and he was fine the next day, but took it easy with the food and drinks although I think I gained what he lost :) haha.
We tried the Italian again a few days later, we both ate the sea food linguini again and it was good as well, not as good as the first time around but still pretty good. We liked the idea of the antipasto station in the middle with prosciutto and melon, soup, grilled veggies, salad, GREAT cheeses (I didn’t get sick after eating a lot of cheese so go figure) and bread, etc., and they were all delicious!
Every night there was a theme night outside – Mexican, Spanish, Oriental, Western etc., the food was not bad, there was always something to eat. My favourite however, was the Festival lunch buffet in the main restaurant. The salad choices were great, grilled mahi mahi was to die for, lots of choices of meats and vegetables. Do order a cappuccino, it was really yummy! They also served ice cream in the main buffet as well to cool down from the heat. There was no aircon in the main buffet restaurant, but if you sit at the table with a ceiling fan, it wasn’t bad. The service was great and with a smile. We totally recommend JAVIER, we had his service at every breakfast and every lunch at the main buffet. He was fantastic! We gave him a few things we brought from home – crayons, colouring books, tooth pastes, tooth brushes, nail polishes, etc., and at the end of our stay, he gave us a few gifts at the end of our stay, which was unexpected and very moving!
It was nice to see Mexican vacationing there as well; we met a great family at dinner (buffet outside every night) and hung out with them until quite late. At first we thought only the parents, 2 kids, and grandparents and then they kept on coming and we found out that there were 15 of them!!! Although our Spanish was pathetic but between us, we spoke a little Italian and French so we got by with Spanish and they didn’t really speak English but we managed quite well for 5 hours together with lots of drinks and laughter! We learned a lot and had a fantastic time! We met lots of wonderful people from Chicago, Wisconsin, Vancouver (lots from Vancouver), didn’t see a lot of British that week. We had a memorable and fun dinner the last night there with a Vancouver group and it was an added bonus for our vacation!
Men do have to wear long pants and closed–toe shoes, doesn’t have to be fancy. I know you’re on vacation but for a nice restaurant, it’s understandable. I wouldn’t want to see hairy people in tank tops and shorts with flip flops! I wore nice capris and sleeveless tops at night and I didn’t need a sweater but you might want to bring a thin shawl for the buffet at night or for watching the show. My boyfriend wore a light-weight pair of pants and a casual short-sleeved shirt, I wouldn’t recommend long-sleeved shirt for men as it can be warm.

Entertainment/Kids Club/Gym:
We only made it to one show so I could only comment on that one - the Broadway show and it was great! I don’t want to spoil the surprise but you must see it, it was very entertaining! The entertainment team did a great job! They entertain during the day at the pools and variety of games and activities then at night at 9:30PM, they put on a great show every night and with full energy! At any time of the day you can see them with great smiles on their faces and their English was superb!
We walked by the Kid’s Club a few times and saw the children were being entertained by the staff there. They were in a little pool for the kiddies, seemed like everyone was having a great time. We met a few couples there who were happy with the Kid’s Club services. There was a room next to the internet room near the lobby where the kids can play video game, Xbox, etc., I thought it was a great idea!
We checked out the gym and found it was quite adequate. The gym was in a see through glass wall near the lobby and a few treadmills, bikes, free weights workout machines, benches and best of all, air conditioned!

Summary and Some Pointers:
Over all, despite a few days of stomach illness for my b/f, (and you CAN get sick anywhere, not just in Mexico) we had a great time. We loved the resort, the variety activities and food it offered and the friendliness of the workers and people alike. We love the rock formation scenery and the fun we had in the ocean with the boogy boards, the beach walk (a good workout), feeding the fish and just relaxing. We had fun on our own and group participation. I think the bottom line is your vacation is what you make of it so just make the best of it. You’re not in North America, speaking the same language and have certain expectation, just remember why you are on vacation in the first place. If you just go with the flow, don’t expect everything to be perfect, I think you’ll have a marvelous time!
Bring a lot of sunscreen – we used up 2 bottles of 30SPF. Bring snack (chip, chocolate etc.) although you don’t have to but I like to have “my” snack as comfort food. You can buy coffee/coffee beans on the beach; it’s really good, I bought some and bargained a bit but still wanted them to make some money. Do go into the town and enjoy a beer and walk around, we went around 6:00pm and had fun. It’s safe, clean and vendors are not pushy at all. There’s a beautiful church near the park in the middle of the town with beautiful designs on the ceiling. Do bring little gifts for the children in town and watch their eyes light up – We gave a little boy selling knick knacks on the beach a baseball hat, a few pencils and ruler and he gave us a sweet smile and wouldn’t stop smiling! We gave some to the taxi driver for his kids; we think everyone deserves some gifts to bring to their kids, whether or not they work in the hotel as they all work so hard and so friendly!
I heard snorkeling/diving excursion to the bays is a must do and we were dying to do a few excursions but unfortunately we couldn’t so we will have to the next time we’re in Huatulco!
The only negative issue we encountered on some nights was some people drenched in their cologne and perfume! Perhaps they didn’t know that they were drenched in it but it was annoying at dinner or when we were enjoying the fresh ocean air!
Make sure you don’t go over your allowable weight for your luggage as you will have to pay extra, check with your carrier to see what the maximum is, and on the way back too, don’t go overboard :).
We brought a bunch of US 1.00 and US 5.00 for tips. The exchange is about 10 pesos for 1US dollar. There is an ATM machine outside to the left of the resort between Gala and Barcelo.

I think my review is too long but I hope it helps most of you to know what to expect and to enjoy your vacation a little more having some knowledge before touch down! I’m sure you will encounter some great or not so great moments of your own but that’s what vacation is all about! Have a fantastic and memorable trip!
P.S. We took a lot of pictures but something happened to my memory stick so we are trying to recover all the pictures right now. I will post them if/when they are available!

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple