“Dreams the best in Huatulco”

Dreams Huatulco Resort & Spa
Ranked #4 of 49 Hotels in Huatulco
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Saskatoon
“Dreams the best in Huatulco”
Reviewed February 4, 2010

We have stayed at the big 3 in Huatulca and the Dreams was our favorite. Huatulco is a beautiful location with a very rugged landscape. We have gone to Huatulco 3 times because we love the location, the people and the incredible weather. Our first 2 trips we never saw a cloud but his last trip we did get some clouds one day but it was still very warm and enjoyable.

Almost everything is just a little better at the Dreams. The service at all the hotels in Huatulco has been good but at the Dreams they have more staff so the service is just a little better and more personal. The rooms are the most modern and the most comfortable. The beds at the Dreams are wonderful and we had no problems waking up rested and ready for another day in paradise.

The food at the Dreams was again a step up from the others and quite good. We ate in all of the a la carte restraunts and liked them all. It was nice to not have to decide 10 minutes after arriving where you wanted to eat for the week. The Dreams does not limit the number of sit down meals and no reservations are required.

The only area where Dreams was not number one with us was the hotel grounds. There are very few trees on the property and large areas of concrete. The concrete works well for setting up for the outside activities and special meals but it looks a little sterile.

One of the highlights of our trip was going on a 7 bay snorkeling trip with Elias Vasques on his boat the Texana. Elias brought his son Daniel with him and they took us were we wanted and snorkeled as long as we wanted. They came in the water with us and gave us a personal guided tour. We saw whales on the way out along with many jumping manta rays. Elias and Daniel dove down and caught fish for us to see up close and then let them go. We also went on one of the large 7 bay tours but it paled in comparison to the trip with Elias.

We will definitely be back to Huatulco and would go to any of the big three resorts, Las Brisas, Barcelo or the Dreams but if the prices were close we would absolutely pick the Dreams first.

8 Thank snorkeling13

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (589)
Indiana
Reviewed February 2, 2010

The resort was very nice. Location on the beach and activity offerings are some of the best I've seen. Food was nothing special and food service was the weak spot. Bar service and offerings were great. Resort is clean and well maintained. Tip: buy souviners on the beach, have fun bartering.. better prices than in town and you can get almost anything over the course of the week. Black fly bugs were annoying, but didn't bite. On site shows were fun too.

• Stayed January 2010
2 Thank IndianaJOJO
Reviewed January 31, 2010

We stayed from Jan 20 to Jan 27. We correspond via e-mail with wedding planner Ms.Gabriela Salinas. Before our arrival my husband and I had a ideal of what we wanted. But, things were not finalized. In 3 days before our ceremony. Ms Salinas guides us with her expertise. We had the most beautiful, wonderful, memorial time. Ms. Salinas, meet us when we arrived, was there for all the planning. The day before she called our room to see if we had any concerns. On our special day she was there from overseeing my hair and make-up, to set up, to the ceremony, to the dinner and dance, to the very end. Nothing got over looked. All her suggestions were perfect. Our family and friend loved it. Believe us, Gabriela is a very, very busy women. But, she takes the time to devote it to you. So, if she doesn't reply to e-mails right away, it's because she making a dream come true to another couple. So be patient, you will also get the same devoted attention. --- The food that we ordered for the dinner was excellent. Cheers for the chef. -
The only problem we encountered was at the spa. Steam Room, what steam, no steam was coming out. In the sauna room, no coals. In the hot tube, we had to ask for hot water, we got warm water, they wouldn't adjust the price. But, the massage was very good. No complaints there.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
Hamilton
Reviewed January 30, 2010

My wife and I have been on 2 other all inclusive vacations (Costa Rica and Columbia). Thus our experince is limited. However, this resort not only surpassed the 2 other 4.5 star resorts we stayed at previously, but also our expectations. Most people haven't heard of Huatulco (pronounce Watoolco). I'm glad. I now consider it our little secret (at least until this review is read). Our goals were simple, a safe place (we have a 5 year old son and a 7 year old daughter), great weather and activities for the kids.

Lets start with safety. Dreams is in a corner of Mexico, hundreds of miles from any urban center. The closest residential area is it's main attraction, the small town of La Crucecita (about a 10 minute taxi from the resort area). It is adorable and you feel as though they built the spot just for you to get a feel for the local life. The people are hard at work trying to make the tourists feel welcome. The resort itself is secluded in that it is surrounded by beautiful mountains and other 5 star resorts. There simply is NO crime in Huatulco.

Now, for the weather. The worst day was Sunday. It was about 20C and cloud cover. We felt a couple of drops several times, but no actual rain. Monday through Friday it was clear blue sky and at least 28C everyday. The evening cooled to a perfect 25C. There was no humidity and there was a constant breeze blowing off the Pacific. In speaking with the many repeat visitors to this resort; January is the perfect time to come to this part of Mexico. Later, it is humid, much later it rains and is far too hot, and earlier there are mosquito issues. In January, there no bugs. In fact, it took until our final evening to see any creatures at all (a little gecko). No spiders, bugs, mosquitoes...nothing).

For childrens entertainment. Our kids love the beach and love swimming at the pool even more. But, those soon became their least favourite activities. Dreams adventure Club was their absolute highlight. The group of leaders that run the club were nothing short of phenominal. The activities were endless, on schedule and done with passion. June, especially was inspirational to watch her with kids. She truly loves what she does. They did everything from simple crafts to activity games, rock wall climbing, pool games to evening camp activitities on the beach. It was great for the kids to get out of the sun for a few hours a day. For them, it was the highlight of everyday and for Mom and Dad, it was a chance to do something adult. We did a shopping trip to La Crucecita one day, we had a romantic dinner at the Mexican restaurant another etc.

Finally, the things that we like most about Dreams (besides what I have mentioned already). The Mexican restaurant. It is simply one of the best restaurants we have ever been too period. The service is so good, you would think that you are the only table in the restaurant. The food is as close to local fair as you will get on the resort and the decor makes you feel ike you walked off the resort and into Mexicos finest eatery. World cafe restaurant is the main buffet restaurant. I really does have something for everything...no matter the meal. The kids had no problem finding something that they enjoyed too. The atmosphere is elegant for a buffet style and the food is adequate. The drinks are not watered down and they use premium brand acohol.

The pools. You choose between seclusion to a bit more lively. They are spread out so that you don't have listen to the goings on at one pool, while you enjoy the serentiy of another. The 3 beach view pools are infinity style and the view itself is worth the trip. There were always loungers available and a fresh supply of towels.

They have a sports and recreration team at the resort. This group by day do water aerobics, archery lessons, yoga, bungee trampoline and coordinate games (volleyball, baseball, table tennis tournaments etc) and by night put on movie night, Nintendo Wii tournaments and the must see stage shows in the theatre at 9pm. These choreographed shows are a spectacle. We especially loved the 70's disco tribute, with all the greatest 70's hits, dance styles and costumes.

The beach, while not white sand or crystal blue water, was immaculately clean and large enough that you could find your own little space. They had plenty of water equipment...snorkelling, boogy boards, lifevests, kayaks, windsurfing. We never had to wait or heard sorry, we don't have any left.

Things you may want to know.
There aren't a lot of after dinner activities. Besdies the 9pm show that lasts 45 minutes, only the 1 lounge bar is open. They only had live entertainment on 2 of the 7 nights we were there. For a very child friendly resort, there were surprisingly few young families (maybe because we went in late January). 75% mature couples. They only serve corona beer, so if you really don't like that brand, you're out of luck. Pools close at 7pm at least in January and yes it gets dark there too at 6pm). So I suggest you do the pool/beack thing until dark and have a late dinner. The Oceania resturant wait times were ridiculous. We waited an hour to finally get our entre. Our childrens meal had already been served and eaten by the time our meal arrived. This was a common observation from many that dined there. However, they served a buffet style lunch and it was great and the ocean front view made up for the poor dinner service. I only found 2 English TV channels in the room. Now, we spent all of about 10 hours in the room (just after we woke and before we went to sleep). But, if you care about TV watching, there is no selection of channels.

This vacation was everything that we had hoped for and more, more, more!!! If you are looking for complete relaxation, great food/drink and fun for the kids this is the place to go! We will definately go again next year for our family vacation and highly recommend this resort to anyone with or without children.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
6 Thank lovehuatulco2
Edmonton
Reviewed January 28, 2010

Signature - Canjet January 7-21/10

Unfortunately our air carrier was Canjet, hopefully I never have to fly with them again but that's a whole other story and not the hotels fault.

Check-in was a breeze. Got off the bus and headed to some tables that had been set up at the front of the lobby. Was offered fruit juice and/or champagne. Got to the table, gave our name, given a little hotel package with room key and signed some document. While we were doing that the luggage was being taken off the bus. Found an available bell-hop, we identified our luggage to him and he tagged it with our room # and off we went. Process took maybe 5 minutes. Found our room, it was ready even though we were earlier than the official check-in time. Set off to explore the resort a little. I had cleverly changed into some warm weather clothes on the plane and had my bathing suit in my carry-on. After about 1/2 hour my wife wanted to get her swim suit on so she went back to the room and the luggage had been delivered.

We booked this package with a "Tropical View" room fairly early in the fall. The room was fairly basic but had everything as advertised and was kept impeccably clean. Our room ended up being a ground floor room in the side wing close to the Barcello but it faced in to the center of the resort. At first I didn't think I would like this location but soon realized how convenient it was to everthing. No need to take an elevator. A 20 second walk to one bar and a 30 second walk to another. A pool about 5 steps off our patio.The main buffet just on the other side of that pool. Up until 6 PM when the beach/pool bars closed we could get drink service from the ladies who circulated around the pools taking drink orders. Bar service while sitting on you patio? How great was that! Looking past one of the infinity pools on the right hand side, we had a view of the ocean. Not sure if we were lucky or , secretly upgraded because we booked early. Other people we met had paid for a partial ocean view and bascially had the same room/orientation but were on a higher floor.

Bar service/selection was exceptional. Waitresses would circulate around the pools and the beach taking drink orders. Sometimes they got quite busy and took a while to get back so occasionally I would actually walk to the nearest bar. They also had portable bars that they would wheel out around the pools and you get get just about everything from them. Rendevous bar could get pretty busy in the evenings.

I found the food service to be very good but with a little room for improvement. Mexican restaurant, our table was kind of tucked in a corner and I think we kind of got overlooked. Food was pretty good. Japanese restaurant, I thought the food was pretty good but the service was maybe too ambitious? We orderd a bit of sushi to start and we also wanted to have soup and tempura vegetables prior to our main course. Within 5 minutes they brought the sushi, soup and tempura vegetables all together, kind of overwhelmed the table. Then they brought the main course before I was finshed my soup and the soup was just kind of grabbed way from me so they could put down the main course. The Italian was OK but nothing to rave about. The Grill & Seafood restaurants are bascially 1 restaurant. They alternate menus. Our favorite was the Grill so we made sure to go back when it opend again and found the food not quite as good as the first visit. Not all restaurants were open every night. I didn't starve, did not lose any weight, Compared to other all-inclusives I've been to, this rates, with maybe one exception, at the top.

I thought the infinity pools were great, the one on the far left as you look toward the ocean being an adult only pool. After our first few days they introduced a few pool floats. They appeared to be only allowed in the adult pool. They had about 8 of them and I think that's all the pool can handle without creating a big log-jam. Shady spots at the infinity pools were at a premium and the chair saving game was in full swing. This was further complicated by not having to use a towel card. When people left they would often just leave their towels behind rather than taking them to one of the many available baskets so sometimes it was hard to tell if a chair was in use or not.

Loved the beach, often easier to find a palapa on the beach than a shady seat by the pools. Even managed to swim my way out to the trampoline and medical services/lifeguard was not required. There was a little to be seen by snorkling near the rocks on the left side. Even saw some kind of ray but overall nothing too special, enough to keep you a bit busy though.

Overall the service was excellent and the staff seam eager to please. There were a few minor slip-ups and a couple of times you could tell a particular staff member was still in training but you've got to go with the flow. I never complain about the language level of the staff but I did notice that the staff here in the key customer service postions had a higher level of English than I've ever encountered before.

What didn't I like? Well if I want to get really picky I could say:
With a couple of exceptions I found the main buffet for the evening meal to not really have a great selection to my liking. They seemed to have a bit of a problem keeping the hot food hot. We tended to eat at the al a cartes or go off-resort.

The group from Chicago who seemed to think the pool floats were for their exclusive use and would corral them in a corner and guard them like a mother bear. Jeese people, if you would just take turns then everyone could have a chance, if you're not using them set them free, Odds are one will float back your way and you can use them again.

The group from Winnipeg who always seemed to be staggering drunk. I'm not opposed to having a good time and wasn't always walking a straight line myself but it is a family resort and screaming obscenities across the resort to your friends on a fairly consistent basis was not cool.

If I go back to Huatulco I would definitely consider staying at this resort again and wouldn't hestitate to recommend it to anyone.

11 Thank chipin
Vancouver
Reviewed January 25, 2010

The airport was small and a little slow on arrival but not too bad, It's only about twenty minutes on the bus to the resort. We were greeted with warm towels and drinks and were taken to register right away. We were traveling with another couple and we had all booked at the same time but we ended up with a king and they got two doubles even after emailing the resort to request a king. We had booked early and choosen the prefered club rooms but that didn't seem to matter. Our rooms were on the fourth floor about dead center of the resort with a great view of the ocean and surrounding areas, they were clean and nice, but as soon as you open the patio door you realize you are right on top of the hotels air conditioning units. These were very loud and you could barely hear the ocean. The food and drinks were okay but the best part of our stay was the weather, pools, beach and ocean. There is an area for snorkeling that had plenty of fish, the will even give you pellets to feed the fish. We had heard of a guy named Valentino who carried a frisbee and walked the beach looking to take people out on his boat. This is a MUST!!! his english is perfect and he is a very informative guy that will take you sight seeing, fishing and snorkeling. He will find whales, dolphins and turles among other things. If you go to the area for snorkeling he will hook you up with a guide for 10 dollars that will swim with you and dive down and bring up all kinds of critters for you to see and touch including sea sponges, pufferfish and octopus. Bring a underwater camera and they will take pictures for you as well. If you plan on going to Dreams don't expect a party atmosphere, the entertainment is pretty weak with the lounge having a guy on a keybord singing a lot of Neil Diamond tunes and it gets real quite arround midnight. It was okay for us because were there just to relax. I would recomend going here but don't waste your money on the prefered package, just get a regular room and enjoy...

4 Thank Fisherbunch
strathmore
Reviewed January 24, 2010

This was my first trip to mexico and went for a bit of business and a bit of pleasure. From the time we got off the shuttle, from the airport, the staff were fabulas. The service was top notch and the facilities just as exceptional. From the rooms to the pools, me and my significant other, were treated extremely well. lots of planned activities were provided on site from yoga to archery. we will definately return and reccomend to all our friends

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business