“Very nice getaway”

Dreams Huatulco Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 47 Hotels in Huatulco
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed February 25, 2014

Just returned from a 2 week stay at Dreams. Enjoyed it very much. The service in dining areas and around the pools was excellent. The food was very good overall. My only major complaint was the lack of US TV stations in the rooms, one can only watch so much soccer (yawn!) . Missed most of the winter olympics and some NCAA basketball that I would have enjoyed seeing. Canadian Sports was on in the Sports Bar but options were limited and the place was often lacking good AC plus there was rarely an employee in there to tend to requests.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Loren W
Write a ReviewReviews (3,524)

Reviewed February 24, 2014

The employees at this resort make the difference.
FOOD-
We ate at all of the restaurants. Portofino was my favorite, beef with cheese sauce had so much flavor. It was unusual that with every restaurant we tried we had fantastic nights one night and ok nights another. They lacked consistency. I thought the Mexican would be good but all in our group found it to be lacking. I think the menu needs some changing. The buffet is very good all of the time for breakfast lunch and dinner. I would say the food at the dreams is very good. If you don't gain some weight I would be surprised.
Cleanliness-
The Dreams resort is very clean with employees posted outside of every bathroom. After a few people use the bathroom it gets cleaned. All public bathrooms are kept clean and this is important to me. The rooms are also kept very clean. The beds get made before 16:00 and around 16:30 the ladies start coming around to turn down your bed and give you a chocolate. Sometimes when we tried to have a short nap. This should start after 19:00.
Drinks-
Whatever you can dream of or desire they will make for you. You are never left without service on the beach or by the pool. All waiters are FANTASTIC. Such nice people to talk to and certainly a pleasure having them serve us drinks. The waiter at the lobby bar is only one at night so he is very overworked. Waiting for drinks is ok but to see someone this busy when all they need to do is add another waiter.
Entertainment-
We tried numerous times to go see the shows but could not stay longer than 5 minutes. I am sorry but these types of show are not for me. It might help getting a larger room and changing the type of show. Comedy is more my style.
At night in the lobby bar they have musicians that play until about 23:00. Some are fantastic like the gentleman that plays on Sunday night. Some play the same songs each night and tend to be boring. First week is fine but second week they should change it up a bit.
Beach-
If you go down to the beach on the east side there are large fish that role with the waves and swim around your feet waiting to be fed. Very nice beach. Went kayaking and enjoyed the exercise and scenery.
Pools-
There are many pools but the most popular are the front three infinity pools. You will have to get up at 06:30 to get a chair otherwise people put towels on the chairs and don't show up all day. Some even have two chairs one for the sun and one for the shade. We had one incident on a Friday where a local couple came by the pool while we were gone for lunch and took our items off of the the chair to claim as there own. After 30 minutes and lunch we arrived to see them in our chairs. Security asked us to move which I was very surprised by. The local couple said they are Mexican and this is their country and they can do whatever they want in their country. The resort had a chat with these people and everything seemed OK. This was the only time I did not feel safe at this resort and wished I could go someplace else. Numerous Mexican people show up for weddings on weekends. Some of the staff treat the locals better and the tourist less than desired when they arrive. Most of the employees continue their FANTASTIC service but you can see the difference.
Overall-
I really like the Dreams resort but something is missing. You shouldn't have to struggle every day to get a chair at the pool that could cause a fight. With a few small changes this resort could have more shade what people want and a better view which could make it more appealing. Small changes would make this resort Excellent otherwise I would say it is only Very good. I believe it to be a 4 star resort, not 5 as reported.

I hope I have provided an honest review so you can decide on where to spend your hard earned money. Be safe and alert rather than get hurt. Have fun.

I will watch to see what other people post before I decide to go back to Dreams Huatulco. . Safety is a huge concern to me and I never want to feel as unsafe as I did when the locals took our chairs. I had one local at the pool tell me on a Saturday " Anything can happen in Mexico, murders and kidnappings. " The weekends are the time to be on alert.

Room Tip: The only rooms that I would not want are the main floor rooms as there is no privacy.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
6  Thank Harry R
Reviewed February 22, 2014

We just returned form a week in Huatulco. The Dreams is the old Gala and is a wonderful setting. There is typically a nice breeze that can fool you into underestimating the power of the sun.

PROS
Staff is very attentive and professional. Building and rooms are very clean. View is fabulous as is the winter weather. Room service is available and the fridge/minibar kept stocked. The beds are comfortable and the shower has good pressure. Nice bath products. Rooms have a small Lanai with a couple chairs and table. Very easy to get around and very safe area. Lots of pleasant people to meet and chat with.

CONS
Food is buffet with a couple specialty spots. It is all consistently mediocre as is typical, in our experience, of AI's. The place was sold out and it felt crowded all the time. Beach and Pool chairs "reserved" early by folks who are often not there. The best restaurants is town are crowded and hard to get into for dinner (Folks looking for better food). Many Beach vendors. Pools are all shallow, maybe 4'.
There are a lot of people in the pool and a steady stream of beverages delivered. When we were almost the only ones to get out of the pool for a trip to the banos, we realized the water was not just getting warmer from the sunshine. A shower after pool time is highly recommended. Not as bad as some of the swim up bars in Cancun, but still....

Summary
Great vacation spot, but has become too crowded for us and even the "specialty" restaurants have mediocre food. We discovered Huatulco in the mid 90's and took many winter vacations there, so we have watched it become popular. This 100% full house took us by surprise with how crowded it felt.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
4  Thank Mike K
Reviewed February 22, 2014

I've never written a review while at a resort before, but need to in this case. While the scenery and weather is are great and the food and staff are generally good, some other things are such negatives that I cannot recommend this place. The resort blares music (as in way too loud) until 11 pm so you can't sleep even if you want to, the housekeeper knocked at door with standard chocolates at 10:30 pm (could these not have been left when the room was cleaned?), and a pre-requested king bed could not be met until mid-trip. I would never come back to Dreams Huatulco.

• Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank Peter T
Reviewed February 22, 2014

If you want to pay 5 star fees for a 3 star resort, go here.

The room is nice on the surface, but I don't need to here the conversation happening next door in the adjoining room. Many people are complaining about this. Why they don't put some foam or sound proofing material between the adjoinng doors is beyond me. It's such an issue that I overheard another patron ask where she could get earplugs!

Food during breakfast is good, lunch is ok. But the dinner buffet is awful. Beware of the service at the bars and restaurants as it can be very hit or miss.

If you plan on ordering a mixed drink, be sure to order a shot on the side as the alcohol content in the drinks is weak.

Front desk is staff is useless. Ask them a question and it never gets answered.

The only thing this resort has going for it is the weather and the beach.

We will have to think long and hard before returning.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank kgtibor
Reviewed February 21, 2014

This is by far the nicest vacation we have ever had. The resort and it's staff are exceptional and the location is amazing. I have avoided going to Mexico because of the violence but if you do your homework about the location you will have no problem. We ventured into town on scooters more than once and the people we encountered couldn't have been nicer! We are definitely going back and will stay for two weeks next time. My only comment would be to create more shaded areas on the beach, the sun is hot!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 123Martie
Reviewed February 20, 2014

Finishing one week here and loved it- rooms clean and beds comfortable. Food good and many different choices. Excursion booked on the beach with Veferino Martinez "Capt. Starfish" was one day to the bays...sea turtles, amazing dolphins. Price was $200. U.S. For two people and he is a nice guy. Snorkeling was good on the coral reef. Hotel is safe and weather awesome. A bit loud at night if you go to bed early but it stops around 11p.m. - will come again. I found the staff always pleasant and helpful. They want you to have a good time.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends