“Would have been perfect if we didn't get sick!”

Dreams Huatulco Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 47 Hotels in Huatulco
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed May 17, 2013

I have gone back and forth about writing this review. I will start off by saying that Hualtuco is absolutely beautiful. We upgraded to the preferred room for the free wifi so that we could skype with our kids. The upgrade was worth it for that alone but the view and the room were absolutely breathtaking. The "perk" of the preferred lounge was great in theory. But, really anyone could go in there and use it. So, if you are wanting to upgrade for the preferred lounge only, save your money. I would recommend upgrading for the beautiful view and free wifi if you need that.

The resort was always immaculate. The staff were fantastic and so attentive. We stayed at Dreams 4/20/13-4/27/13 and the first half of our trip the resort was so empty. It was really nice because the staff was able to wait on us within seconds. Towards mid week, the resort really filled up but the staff was still able to keep up.

It was annoying walking through the lobby and past the concierge desk because every time that we would walk by, someone would start talking to us and trying to get us to go to Secrets for a presentation. We were there to relax and the last thing that we wanted to do was waste our vacation time by sitting through a "time share" presentation. But, we just would nicely say that we weren't interested.

The beds were the most comfortable that we have ever had while on vacation. They even had a pillow selection menu if you wanted. We did not use that service but it was available. The liquor was mostly top shelf brands which does not happen very often. That was a huge bonus.

We always felt so safe no matter where we were. We ended up booking our excursions through Coco on the beach. He was not an employee of Dreams but he was willing to work deals with us and give us some extra attention.

The first excursion that we did was the ATV tour. It is the first time that we have rode ATVs on a road where cars were driving. It was different than we were used to but a lot of fun. Dennis that runs the tour (whether you book through the resort or a beach vendor, you still have the same guide) was fantastic. Very knowledgeable and friendly. Make sure that you take a bandana because it is so dusty and dirty that you will taste dirt for days if not. Our ride was supposed to pick us up and we were told that there was mechanical problems with the truck so they were about an hour and half late to pick us up after the tour. We were really worried but they eventually came to pick us up.

The next thing we did was go into town to go shopping. We were still on edge from the ATV excursion and our ride being so late, that when we saw Coco on the beach the next day, we told him about the ride and he said that he would stay in the town with us and would show us around,

We then booked a private yacht for a day through Coco. We agreed on a price and then when we got to the dock we were told we had to pay for the ride. The price we paid for the trip evidently did not include transportation. It was only $10 for all of us but it was the principle of it. We were then told as we were boarding the boat that we each had to pay $10 per person for snorkel gear. We got very upset with Coco for all of the hidden fees, He agreed to pay for our ride back to the resort and we were able to snorkel for no extra cost. The trip was definitely worth it. We saw so many dolphins and amazing fish, It was a must do.

We walked about 5 minutes from our resort and went to a spa down and across the street. We started with a sauna, had a mud scrub, and then a half hour massage. We had a group of 7 of us and it was about a 4 hour spa experience all for $30. It was amazing and definitely a fabulous experience.

We ate at the Mexican restaurant one night and the food was great but it was so hot in there that we had to keep going outside to get some fresh air. The Italian restaurant was not good at all. The atmosphere was great but we did not care for the food at all. The Japanese restaurant was our absolute favorite. The ambiance and food were spectacular. I loved the fact that you could go to all of the restaurants as often as you wanted and you did not need to wait in line for hours every morning to get a reservation. That was a huge plus.

There were 7 people in our group and out of the 7 of us, 4 got sick. On day 2 one person got sick and had to stay in his room for 2 whole days. Day 5 my husband got sick and I got hit on day 6. We were all very careful to not eat anywhere outside of the resort. We did not drink heavily or eat much out of the ordinary at all.

My husband has a stomach of steel so we were so shocked when he got sick. I eat very bland foods especially on vacation. We have been to Mexico numerous times and have never gotten sick. I read the reviews and honestly thought that the people that were getting sick were just sick because they ate the wrong things or drank too much or something. I was not worried about getting sick because I am always so careful with what I eat especially when I am in Mexico. I don't think that it is the food at the resort. We are thinking that maybe it is something with the water filtration system or something.

I spoke to a lot of the people at the airport that stayed at Secrets and they had gotten sick as well. There is something going on in the area because way too many people are getting sick. We talked to a lot of other people at the resort and there were tons of people that had been sick as well. We have been back home now for and our stomachs are just now returning to normal.

We were planning to go back next year with a huge group of friends but, now we are thinking that we may need to pick another destination. We do not want to waste any of our already short trip (we go for a week at a time) being sick.

4  Thank stressedout2

Reviewed May 16, 2013

Traveled Apr 23-30

I hesitated whether to write this as I know that I have a bit of a weak stomach, but because of that I'm really careful about what I eat, especially when traveling to places where people often experience travelers' sickness.

Dreams would have been a five star experience for me except for getting sick. I got really sick the first day, and then it's been getting progressively better and things are just really starting to clear up about 14 days after return.

Something is wrong with Dreams' filtration system, or their water supply or something. I don't know what, but it's not normal for this many people to be getting sick at a 5 star. We met several people on the trip who had experienced similar issues. My wife and I only ate at Dreams and no-where else.

I would recommend this review with no reservations except for this one issue. Everything else exceeded my expectations but they HAVE to get whatever is causing traveler's sickness sorted out ASAP.

Room Tip: Ocean Front all the way! Preferred = free wifi. Worth it for us.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank MrRey
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Stayed from 4/20 to 4/27/2013. There was 10 people in our party. We have stayed at other Dreams Resorts before this one. This was one of the best that we have stayed at. The service was Excellent. The food was good (especially at the Japanese Restaurant. The Resort was very clean and well maintained. The rooms were very comfortable. We spent a lot of time on the beach. The drink service there was top notch. It was not very often that we had an empty glass and had to wait to get a refill. The Pools were nice and there was plenty of loungers by the Pools.
There was enough activities keep us bust during the day. The Entertainment was good. The best part about the Entertainment was the Staff. They were some of the friendliest and energetic people I have encountered at a Resort. I would like to personally acknowledge Lenora, Rafel,
Armondo. The only negative was the airconditioning in the Desires Disco. We wanted to go down there to dance but it was just too hot to stay there.

5  Thank Ron M
Fernando R, Manager at Dreams Huatulco Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write your experience about our Resorts. We are very happy to read that, some of our employee did meet your expectation having such a positive effect on your vacation. We understand that the little things are what make great vacations and that those are the memories. We will be passing this review on to our staff, we feel sorry for the inconvenient with the air conditioned we will take immediate action in this regard.

Thank you once again for your comments.

Reviewed May 10, 2013

I went with a friend April 30 - May 7. Overall, it was the best resort either of us had been to. Check in was quick and easy, and the bellboy was quick to help us find our bags and get them to our room. Smalls things that made all the difference - no wrist bands, no towel cards - towels are available wherever and whenever you need them, fully stocked mini bar every day and if you ever wanted more all you had to do was call and you had it quickly. Having room service that was included with the all inclusive was awesome! Very convenient for those early mornings or late nights! We met a great bunch of great people, pool service was amazing and the grounds were well kept. The spa was also a good experience - they got us in the same day we came into to check it out. A little pricey, but worth the benefit. The staff at the Italian restaurant came off a little stuck up, and it would say it was our least favourite one. The Asian/Japanese one was excellent! Great service, and amazing food. A standard $50 pesos to get downtown, which was a quick cab ride away. If you go, be sure to check out Le Creme(?) and their nachos and wood oven pizzas - we went 3 times - it was so good. We also tried La Viena which is right across the street from the resort, and it was the best meal we had. 5 of us went and we all really enjoyed our meals. It was a long weekend while we were there, and we could tell - the placed was packed from Friday night - mid afternoon Sunday. Thankfully we booked an excursion on Saturday, so we missed the majority of the day and didn't have to deal with finding chairs by the pool or beach. Outside of the weekend, finding chairs was never a problem.

Overall, I would definitely return to this resort. You'll read the reviews about the food....come on people - it's Mexico! There were days that I didn't feel well, but the food was generally great and there were enough options to keep anyone satisfied. I am yet to experience a trip to Mexico where I don't react to the food - its just different from what anyone is used to. Bring Pepto or Immodium and your all set. I'd be interested in trying out the Secrets resort simply because it's adults only, but I wouldn't shy away from this resort in the future, or recommending it to others.

2  Thank dmccloskey7

Dear Guest

Greetings from Dreams Huatulco. What a nice review and thank you for taking the time to write it. We are happy to read that you will return to our property and that our services and surroundings had such a great impression on you. Also we are happy that you enjoyed your time here and we hope to have the opportunity serve you in a near future.

Reviewed May 9, 2013

Stayed here April 30 to May 7. What a lovely area of Mexico. Clean beach and clear waters. Rooms were clean and beds comfortable, air conditioning was the quietest of any of the inclusives I've stayed at in Mexico. Staff were friendly and helpful. Pools were easily accessed and really appreciated not having to wear a wrist band or trade in towels with a card. The little town was easily accessed by cabs waiting outside the hotel. Day trips were informative ...great to see the care for the environment. Hopefully they will be able to keep the charm of the area. Food was what you expect in places that required to produce large amounts of varied food ...you will not go hungry. Had a lovely week and will likely go back some time.

Room Tip: room 2101 ground level...great access to restaurants, pool, activities etc. Quite when we were ther...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Fernando R, Manager at Dreams Huatulco Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post your review, which is very positive for our organization. We are very happy to read that our Hotel did meet your expectation having such a positive effect on your holidays. We understand that we have left very good memories for such a comments, We are passing this review on to our team so that this can encourage them to keep up the good job that we all have been doing make sure our guests have an unforgettable vacations.

Thank you once again for your comments and we hope to see you back with us so we can serve you again.

Reviewed May 9, 2013

We were booked at this property for seven nights at the end of April. We were very surprised and disappointed at the lack of decor / Mexican feel as soon as we walked in the lobby. The check-in was fast and a drink was offered upon arrival, as well as a damp refreshing cloth. We were offered an upgrade (oceanfront) upon check-in, which we accepted at a cost of $90 for the week. The second night we were there, we were offered a free switch to Secrets, no doubt because the hotel was overbooked for the upcoming weekend. Why then, were we sold an upgrade when they most likely knew they would be offering a free upgrade to Secrets? I would have stayed in the original room for the two nights and then gone to Secrets and saved the $90. I am feeling somewhat ripped off. There were many guests that were offered Secrets, so it wasn't just us.
On top of that, on the second night both of us became extremely sick, which I would presume was from the food. We have been to Mexico many times, without any problem. Throughout the week we met numerous other guests that also became sick. Be sure to bring Gravol and Immodium with you and be warned. I will never return to this property again.

Room Tip: My tip would be to stay somewhere else. Secrets is definitely a better option.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Letsgo2014
Fernando R, Manager at Dreams Huatulco Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review, which is very positive for our organization. We are very sorry to read that our Hotel did not meet your expectation on your holidays. We understand your point of view regarding the upgrade but we offer free upgrades to secrets and the clients is one who decide, and for the foods we have a company name Check Safety First in charge of doing inspections into the property on a continual basis during the week also, we have a Quality Control Manager in house. However, our goal is to assure our guests health and safeness and entire satisfaction in our property, we do really appreciate your comments because, it will encourage us to continue and enforce our health and safeness measures.

Thank you once again for your comments.

Reviewed May 9, 2013

We have traveled to other parts of Mexico 5 times and learned the secret of Hualtuco in 2012 and fell in love!! Our first year there, we stayed at the Barcelo. Our second year, we read the higher ratings for Dreams which prompted us to book there. We stayed at Dreams 2/22-3/2/13 and the weather was perfect!! While in the pool and on the beach, we met several people who had gotten sick and warned us to be careful. We take all of the normal precautionary measures when traveling to Mexico (start probiotics 3 weeks in advance, avoid lettuce and fresh vegi's, no tap water AT ALL, etc.....) and up to this trip, have never had trouble. All 4 of us got sick on day 4 or 5 and 2 of the 4 of us were VERY sick with chills, stomach cramps and diarrhea which made for a miserable vacation and an even worse plane ride home. Although the resort was beautiful, the waitstaff was far above average, the food was good and the view/weather was PERFECT, we will probably not return. We have made this an annual destination but feel that we can not take the risk of being that sick again while on vacation. I hope the resort takes extensive measures to correct this problem to avoid any further illness.

Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank quadm

Dear Guest

We thank you very much for your comments and for having chosen our resorts to enjoy your holiday with us, We are sorry for the inconveniences you have had, but can assure you that the quality of all food items is of the highest level, as is the hygiene of our Team. We would like you to know that we have a certified company that strongly controls the Quality of food, temperature of chambers, frigorific machines, meals and buffet exhibits, expiration dates; as well as how food is being handled by our staff. The company that has given us the quality certification is Check Safety First, and they always do several inspections into the property on a continual basis during the week and also have a Quality Control Manager in house However, our goal is to assure our guests health and safeness and entire satisfaction in our property, we do really appreciate your comments because, it will encourage us to continue and enforce our health and safeness measures.

Thank you again for your valuable feedback which, we appreciate a lot.