“Great Trip”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Vancouver
“Great Trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2013

My bf and I were at Dreams April 9th to 16th. It was a very nice resort.
The food was okay, nothing to write home about. The Asian resteraunt did have sushi, unlike another review said. It's just on the little table topper by the salt and pepper I beleive. We ate their twice since it was so good. I am though just starting to feel abit better stomach wise. I agree that something is just "not right" with either their food or drinks. I've been to Mexico 6 other times and have never felt so bad for over a week afterwards - or have I ever threw up on a plane before like I did on the way home. But would it stop me from going back? Probably not, I would just take my own glass and take more medicine. We drank mostly the tap beer and not alot of fruity blended drinks so it wasn't the coconut milk.
The beach was closed for the last two days because of the waves so it made it harder to get a spot at the pools. So I would go earlier in the season. But it was nice to have a nice quiet, half full resort. Until the weekend came and we were bombarded with Mexicans and all their children. We actually asked how much it would be to switch to Secrets but it wasn't worth it since they were only there for the weekend.
We did an excursion with Roberto on the beach. Totally safe and was a great morning. We paid 60 each and it was only us on the boat. We got our pictures taken with the resort photographer and totally recommend it. They turned out great!
We bought some silver off the guy by the bar by the buffet and he was willing to deal. I think we paid half of what he first offered. The beach vendors are actually the best deal I found. I guess cause they don't have to pay rent. I wanted to buy one of the hanging hummingbirds in the lobby and they wanted $100! I found them in town at a shop for $28 and they wouldn't budge even if I bought two. If you want the wood painted ornaments, there isn't much if any dealing on the price. But they are beautiful.
The two weddings that we saw take place were beautiful, would recommend getting married there for sure.
Our room was a jacuzzi suite that looked onto the Asian resteraunt and the one pool. We used the jacuzzi every day. And yes, you have to fill it up like a bathtub...........lol. But the jets were nice after a long tiring day of relaxing by the pool. The room was always clean and fridge stocked up. Loved the shower in the bathroom. And the beds! It's the first trip to Mexico where I slept great EVERY night! So comfortable.
All in all, it was a great trip and would go back again. We miss it :(

Oh yeah, the waitress by the adult pool was a great waitress! Her name was Primi or close to. She was so wonderful and quick, always working hard.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (588)
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

Just returned from a week in one of my favourite parts of the world...Huatulco. When you go at this time of the year (or in October/November) you are in low season for both visitors and Mexicans. At Dreams this means that not every restaurant is open every day. The best part is that there is no problem getting into any of the restaurants whenever you want to go; lots of lounges,towels etc so there is no getting up at 6am to grab a lounge at your favourite spot. You can pick to stay at a quiet pool, a pool with activities & music, the adult only pool or go down to the beach. Remember if there are major storms on the US east coastline, the tides in Mexico can be affected ...high tides with lots of waves means there is no swimming because the undertow is very strong. However you can always do some wading....the lifeguards are very alert!
There was a special celebration (private) at the hotel on the Saturday evening called Vela. All the women came wearing these amazing highly embroidered 2pc velvet outfits & headpieces & flowers in their hair. You could sit in the bar/lobby etc. & watch the guests arrive. I went to bed after midnight & the guests were still partying.
Like one other reviewer I had a preferred room with a wonderful view. In addition to having a more extensive selection on drinks etc. in the room, one could go to the preferred lounge for a continental breakfast, or drop by for happy hour & appetizers.
The week I was at Dreams Sunwing had full flights from Edmonton and Calgary. People going home were very tanned & smiling as they talked about their great holiday.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Hyannis, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

I am VERY surprised by any negative reviews I am seeing. I was at Dreams from April 7- April 20. The Hotel and grounds are gorgeous and spotless. The beach amazing. (only issue was surf a bit rough for swimming). The food was good. The only disappointment there was the Asian restaurant did not have sushi). The drinks were wonderful and so was all the wait staff.The fresh fish and fruit were great and the best coffee I ever had. Eric one of the chefs did a great job of cooking the fish we caught on our fishing trip.
I can not compliment the Entertainment Team enough. I hope I do not leave anyone out. Dulce, Lorena, Lucia, Edwardo, Edwardlito, Rafael, Armando... All Amazing !!!.
There were very few Americans but I never felt that I was treated anything less than special. The mostly Mexican and Canadian guests were extremely friendly.
We recommend going in to town to do some shopping and to experience the wonderful restaurants. La Creme has great Pizza and we went to an authentic Taco place ( Thanks to a Canadian friend , El Padre. Both Great!
We also went deep sea fishing and snorkeling with Coco. (He is one of the vendors on the beach and he is great and will give you a great deal) Beautiful snorkeling on the coral reefs.
The Vendors on the beach are persistent but they have beautiful crafts and jewelry and if your barter you can get great prices on silver.
I was sad to leave and look forward to seeing the whole staff at Dreams again! (sorry if I left anyone out!)

Room Tip: All rooms are nice. We got upgraded to ocean view but even the pool view was great and close to eve...
1 Thank Susan W
Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

We arrived in Huatulco, then at Dreams Huatulco on April 9, 2013. We had booked the Preferred Club Junior Suite, Ocean Front with Jacuzzi. It was to be an Anniversary celebration and a well deserved rest for my Husband. We recognize that it was low season for this resort area and therefore some of the amenities were not available. Unfortunately it was the World Cafe restaurant that was closed for the first few days of our stay. Normally we find it very easy to work around food options by having buffet choices. With the buffet option removed we struggled to find healthy options (for me) and no seafood (for husband).

The staff that work for the hotel: concierge, room attendants, mini-bar stocking, servers, etc are wonderful and fantastic! The gentlemen that work the lobby looking for people to go to presentations of Secrets are relentless. While they are really friendly people it just didn't stop... ever. If you were in the lobby, going through the lobby or at the lobby bar they came to work on you just one more time.

I do not think that the Preferred Club upgrade was a worthwhile purchase when weighing experience vs cost. I think we mostly enjoyed the upgraded mini bar which included thinks like M & M's, Peanuts and Chips. Things easily purchased at a gift shop.

My husband who is normally very happy go lucky had had enough of the food issues. As the week neared the end the staff were all talking about the 400 guests that were arriving for a wedding, and their was mention of the hotel being oversold. We are not into crowds, lines and with the other issues at hand we decided to depart and moved to Secrets. Unfortunately, the food got only slightly better with the buffet available (yaay!) breakfast and lunch. Unfortunately this is the first time travelling to Mexico that my husband and I both had stomach issues. We travel to Mexico two times per year when we can and we were absolutely shocked to have this issue at such 'quality resorts'. Boo.

On a positive note the weather was absolutely crazy hot, and we loved the staff at both resorts.

Room Tip: The building has allot of angles; I would book an ocean view room if you can.
3 Thank November010
Fernando R, Manager at Dreams Huatulco Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Dear Guest

We really appreciate that you have taken the time to post your review. We take them seriously which help us to improve the service that we offer to all our clients. We understand that little things are what make great vacations and, that those are the memories, however we are happy to read that our front house staff did a great job positively. Comments that we will pass on to them so that they can see whenever, they do the right thing clients spread it out in good terms, concerning the comments that unfortunately did not meet your expectation. we will take them as an opportunity to better our resorts offering the best quality services and trying harder every single day.

Have a pleasant day

Fernando Ramirez
Rooms Division Manager
Grand Rapids, Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

We were at Dreams Huatulco starting 3/30/13 thru 4/6/13. I traveled with my wife and two children. My son is 11 and my daughter is 9. This was my children's first time traveling. My wife and I had been to one other all-incllusive. Huatulco is beatiful with great weather. Here is my review of the hotel:

* Food- The selection of food was not bad. The food tasted bland for the most part, but not bad. There was plenty for my kids to eat. There was some serious potential. However, 3 out of 4 of us got sick to varying degrees. I got sick twice, and it started right away. We took all food precautions that we discussed with our travel agent prior to the trip. I was so ill that I nearly had to seek medical attention. $200 just to speak with the hotel doctor. I did go to town to find a pharmacy for some relief. I got better by mid-week, but it reoccurred again at the end of the week. I witnessed some very poor food handling. Also, every American family that I talked to had some level of illness. My daughter was never ill, and my son only caught a slight stomach issue at the end. That was the good part. Unfortunately, there is no point in going to an all-inclusive if you cannot trust the food. By Monday, I was done eating anything but the basics to get me by (toast). On Thursday we took an excursion that included a traditional lunch. Since I was already sick I threw caution to the wind and ate the food. It was by far the best meal that I ate the entire trip. I would recommend that if people have to travel to this resort, that they eat off-resort whenever possible. The food was by far the worst part of our trip, and nearly ruined our trip. On Tuesday, we nearly called our travel agent to schedule a flight home. It was that bad.
* Drink- The service was so spotty that it was difficult to enjoy the drinks. Modelo was the only beer on tap and I honestly do not like it. I saw someone with Bud Light but you had to be “preferred” to get it. The beer may also be one of the causes of illness. I frequently saw the bartenders put the tap directly into the head of beer. This can be a cause of bacterial contamination if the tap is not properly cleaned. Mixed drinks seemed to be the safest way to go, or shots (if you could get service). The kids also found plenty of soda’s and bottled water to drink. Top shelf liquor was not used unless you specifically asked. If you did, you risked not getting another drink. Again, there is no point in going to an all-inclusive if you cannot enjoy the drink.
* Service- Poor with some exceptions. 80% of the guests at the hotel were Mexican. The resort staff would cater to them over anybody of European decent. Everyone from the U.S. that we talked to agreed. We even tried tipping but it didn’t help. I had bartenders ignore me altogether. We had entertainment staff organize “Mexican vs. American” pool volleyball games. There was a definite aggression towards us by a lot of the staff simply because of the color of our skin. I honestly thought I was going to have to physically defend myself on a couple of occasions. The head of entertainment would lead the show every night. To start the show, in an effort to get the crowd involved, would say countries to get a reaction from the crowd. He always started with U.S.A., but did so with a quiet sullen tone. Us Americans would look around puzzled and barely respond. He then would say “CANADA!!” much louder with more excitement and the crowd would cheer loudly. Then obviously the same for Mexico, to much louder cheers. All of this was done why? To make us feel bad for being American? Also, the Mexican hotel guests were very unfriendly to us. A lot of it is a cultural gap so I don’t blame the guests. I do blame the hotel for not holding their staff accountable. The front desk was not helpful. When we were sick, we tried to order room service but did not have a menu. The phone in our room did not work so my wife went down to the front desk to retrieve a menu. They stated that they would bring a menu to our room in 5 minutes. It never happened. So, Sarah went down again the next day and had to argue to get a menu. The housekeeping staff, however, was great. They cleaned our room daily, never missed anything, and were polite and courteous. Alberto (sp) was a bartender in the Rendezvous bar who was exceptional and always waited on us. We also had a couple of pool waiters that were very friendly and provided exceptional service. Overall, with a few bright exceptions, we felt like the staff at this hotel was hostile towards us which was totally unacceptable.
* Timeshare Sales- We could not walk thru the hotel lobby without the concierge staff trying to get us to go to a timeshare breakfast. Every time we walked thru there, even on our last day, they would badger us to come to a breakfast. It was quite awkward. The hotel is designed such that you have to walk thru the 2nd floor lobby when traveling from one side to the other. Otherwise you walk out of your way. It was very hard to keep our cool when walking thru there and a complete inconvenience.
* Pools/Beaches- The pools were very nice. It was hard to get a seat in the shade unless you woke up early. Other than the lack of chairs, the pools were not overcrowded. You could also go to the east side of the resort in the afternoon and it would be completely shaded. No complaints about the pools. The beach was very nice. Soft sand and clean sand. The waves were a little large so the kids liked it. There were schools of fish right off shore that you could feed. Very beautiful. There was a jellyfish issue (not hotels fault) so we did not snorkel or kayak during our stay. Apparently there was an earthquake nearby which caused the jellyfish to come towards land.

* Dany- Apple Rep at the hotel
This guy was very rude and unprofessional. We had booked our excursions on the internet prior to traveling. Apparently this made us second rate customers. He had us sit thru a 90 minute “presentation” about the resort and excursions on our second day there that was totally unnecessary. Later, he was rude to my wife when she asked simple questions about how to dress and when to meet in the lobby. He was supposed to be at his desk from 8:30-10:30 am and 4:00-6:00 pm. He was late every day for the morning sessions and left early during the evening sessions. To talk to him, I had to sit in the lobby from 8:30 until 9:15 to make sure I could track him down.

Overall, do not take this as an indictment to Huatulco. It is a great area and very safe. This resort has definite management issues. It was difficult to relax when you cannot trust the staff, the food, or the drink. I heard that Secrets Huatulco was a little better, but the Barcelo was a lot better.

Room Tip: I did not, but would pay the extra money to be "priority". You get access to sit in speci...
4 Thank b_jammin_10
pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

I travelled with my daughter from April 6th to April 13th. We had a wonderful trip and wished we had a few extra days to spend at this lovely resort. Upon arrival we were greeted by ALBERTO.
He was very informative and we enjoyed his smiling face whenever we saw him during our stay.
We booked a garden view room and we were more than satisfied. Our room was on the fourth
floor and it faced the hillside and was very quiet. The grounds are beautiful and always being tended to. The staff was always pleasant and striving to please. The food was ok.....the Mexican
restaurant was our favorite. Try the spa.....we enjoyed the experience. Plenty of towels by the pool but some of them need to be upgraded. DOLCE was great.....always happy and upbeat.
AND lastly I must mention .....ISELA who served beverages by the pool. What a special woman
she is. We miss her terribly already and only wish we could have taken her back to Philadelphia
with us. Dreams is very fortunate to have ISELA in their employ. I look forward to visiting Dreams Haultuco again.

2 Thank trisha01
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

We loved our experience at Dreams. We did not upgrade our room and did not regret it. The staff was very friendly and the resort was immaculate. Our room was just as it is pictured on the website. The food was absolutely delicious at the buffet and the restaurants.

3 Thank b4trip