“What a Dream”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Union, Mo near St. Louis
“What a Dream”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Kay and I stayed at Dreams Huatulco Resort and Spa for the first time March 8-15. I can assure you it will not be our last. Everything about our experience was ¡EXCELENTE!

We left St. Louis on a Frontier charter. Our trip down to Huatulco was great. We got bumped to Preferred Plus and had lots of free snacks and booze. Our attendants were very helpful and pleasant. We arrived at Huatulco right on time and spent an acceptable time getting through our entry to Mexico. We were lucky to find we were staying at Dreams with the passengers we were sitting with. Thus several vacation friendship were born. There were: Jessica, Gina, Judy, Ruth and Christine all beautiful and fun. Each of them brought an equally delightful teenage daughter along. I really enjoyed playing water volley ball with them each day.

Check in was a breeze and we were taken to our room 1324. I had booked a standard garden view but was surprised to see exactly what the room was like. I had emailed Fernando Segura, Chief Concierge with just a few minor requests, about a week before we arrived. We had a very convenient location, third floor overlooking the quiet pool and Himitsu restaurant. The KING bed was as comfortable as I ever had and the jet tub on the balcony was a definite plus.

First I must comment about the Entertainment Staff. They were there all day long making sure you were having a good time. One word describes these fine people, ¡EXCELENTE! Mario, Dulce, Lorena, Julio, Eduardo, Lucero, Rafa, Armando and Lalo; you have to meet them all. Join in the activities, don't be afraid to have some fun. ¡ LA GENTE DE ENTRETENIMIENTO ERA EXCELENTE!

ACTIVITIES: check the Sundial for daily activities. Some favorites; tequila tasting, margarita lessons, cocktail lessons, Spanish lessons, darts competition, archery, zumba and yoga, pool and beach volleyball, just to name a few.

POOLS: (6) and beach area, supper clean. Even though we had our same spot at the pool everyday, there seemed to be no lack of lounges or shade. The beach has a few vendors, but if you are not interested, just say "No gracias" and you will not be bothered. The left part of the beach has a school of fish that like to come close to the shore and eat bananas or bread right out of your hand. In the early morning, a shellfish vendor will sell you freshly opened raw oyster, scallops and snails, $200 MP/doz. At first I was a little apprehensive but he enticed me with a few free samples so I had a dozen..with hot sauce and lime.

RESTAURANTS: (6) World Café, we always found lots of really good food, and service was also good. Check for their theme nights. Seaside Grill, a good place for a snack or quick lunch (tacos al pastor). Oceana, open only a few days during our stay, very good seafood. Himitsu, Asian, among our favorites. El Patio, Mexican, TexMex and Oaxacaeña style, excellent margaritas and food. Love the pollo con molé negro. Portofino, Italian, heard it was good, didn't try it. We went into La Crucicita one evening and had dinner at Grillo Marinero. I had a seafood mix in olive oil and garlic and Kay had the mahi mahi in butter and garlic. Great food, local atmosphere and cold cerveza.

ROOM CLEANLINESS: Excelente. Picture perfect every day, including toiletries arranged on the bathroom counter top. It was impossible to find a grain of sand remaining after the maid had finished. I was happy to leave $50 MP daily for her great service. Also, the public bathrooms in this resort are the cleanest I've ever seen.

BARS: (6) Rendezvous, in the lobby, live music at night. Ask for your top shelf favorite, like Don Julio. Baracuda, on the beach, very good. Seaside Grill Bar, by the pools. Sugar Reef, near the World Café. Theatre Bar, during the shows. Desires, sports and music lounge. Coco Café, coffee drinks, teas and snacks.

SPA: Let me first say that I get a massage every other Monday, and this spa delivered way more than I expected. I treated my wife to a massage and hydrotherapy treatment. The look on her face after, was priceless. She then surprised me two days later with the same package to celebrate my up coming 60 th birthday. My experience started with ten minutes in the sauna and then the steam room, with a cold shower between and after. Then the hydrotherapy started with a walk over stones in hot water, followed by the same in cold. Next a water massage of the neck and shoulders from a powerful jet. Moving next to a "bubbling bed" for your back, then a jacuzzi like cove for you whole body. Last was a waterfall like fountain for the neck and shoulders again.
I was then ready for the massage. Kay had such a wonderful one she requested the same masseuse, Sara for me. She was very professional and manipulated joints and muscle groups I didn't know I had. Afterward, I was invited to relax with a mint water. Then several of the spa staff came to me, singing Happy Birthday and presented me with a glass of champagne and six chocolate covered strawberries, decorated in tuxedos.

THE GUESTS: A very good mix of fun people, my guess 65% Canadian, 30% USA and 5% other. We both agree that we had more fun with the guests at Dreams than any other resort. Daily we had our spot at the activities pool for easy access to water volleyball, aqua aerobics, music and fun. Speaking of music, we had the pleasure of having our own DJ in the afternoon, Ron from Toronto Fire. Such a nice guy to use some of his holiday to provide us with some great classic tunes. I also need to mention my favorite "Canadian Diplomat" Adam, everyone at the resort knew him!

The weather was spectacular, as it was in the 90's, very sunny and little humidity. I think if we decide to take a winter holiday again our first choice will be Dreams Huatulco. By the way, Mario, if you see this review....Who am I?...Who am I?...¡soy Carlos!

5 Thank DonCarlos

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (596)
Fairview, Alberta Canada
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Our trip was from March 5-12, 2013. We traveled with 3 other couples and had a fantastic time. This was all our first time to Huatulco and know why others return here - the weather consistency is 32* - 36* degrees everyday, no rain, light breeze, beautiful weather! We flew Sunwing and had a good trip with champagne, in meal service with wine, hot towel service and snacks; the flights were on time and early arrival into Huatulco which was a plus! Check in and check out were fast (they only give you one room key but just ask for extra). The resort is small so it has a homey feel and easy to go from one area to another without walking for miles! The beach is good, having just a light breeze off the ocean was great as we could use the kayaks, hobie cats, snorkel off the beach if you wanted also - it was red flag only 2 out of the 7 days we were there! They only allow so many vendors on the beach and they have 4 day rotations; so not tons of them trying to sell to you! We had a jacuzzi tropical view room which was great as we would sit in the hot tub after a long day at the beach and watch the people in the pools and on the grounds! No resort bracelets here and no reservations for a la carte meals which was great; the Portofino was my favorite; they also had a Mexican Fiesta night on the grounds for supper with a huge buffet of Mexican food; this was so nice as the weather down there at night is wonderful; no need for a jacket as it is a comfortable temperature! They also had a Manager's Cocktail party also on the roof top with appetizers and cocktails and a little show, very nice touch! The entertainment staff does a wonderful job trying to get everyone involved which sometimes is hard to get anyone to participate! They had archery, dart tournament, yoga, zumba, water aerobics, beach & water volleyball, ping pong almost everyday and then they had special classes @ 1:00 PM for sharing dreams which could be painting, tequila tasting, cocktail lessons, carving fruit etc. They offer 2 speciality drinks everyday which are on the Sundial letters that you will receive in your room daily - this is a great information sheet as it lists all activities; which a la carte restaurants are open on that day; the entertainment for the theater & lounges so make sure you read! There is shopping across the street from the hotel which is nice and convenient and very safe to go over to! Our group did the snorkel tour where they take you to La Entrega bay, this wasn't a good experience as there were lots of jellyfish in the water when we were there, so got stung many times, the rash lasted about 2 hours; the guide told us if you went out further there was none but some of our husbands went out and they still say them - but they did get to hold a puffer fish and saw a big turtle plus all the other fish too! Also did the Villages & Crocs Encounter - it was very interesting to go through the mangroves and see the crocs right in front of your boat; they also take you to the Turtle Conservatory & the Mazunte Cosmetic Factory - this tour is very long approx. 7 1/2 hours and it is very hot up in the outback where they take you; lots of walking too but worth it if you want to experience something different! When you first arrive to the Dreams would like to give other travellers the heads up on the staff there offering you a free breakfast and a tour of the Secrets Resort; found out from other travellers that it was a timeshare! I even asked both workers if that is what it was and they said "Oh no, just would like our guests to see their new sister hotel!" The departure from Huatulco went smoothly and found the staff at the airport very friendly! They have The Dreams hotel as a 5 star resort but I would give it a 4 - 4+ for the grounds and hotel lobby; still very nice but just not as nice as the Bahias, Iberostars or the Marriott chains in the Mayan Riviera & St. Kitts. The food was good, had no complaints; lots of variety of everything; never got sick, drank the water and ate everything, so that is a plus! Have to remember when you travel to these places - we eat way more than what we do at home; drink all those slushy drinks; and have hot climate what we are not used to; so it is understandable why we get the travellers diarrhea, if it was the food that caused us to get sick you would be vomiting with a stomach ache! All in all it was a wonderful holiday in a very warm, friendly and probably one of the cleaniest & safest part of Mexico that I have been! Adios!

4 Thank sunfun05
Fort Frances, Canada
Reviewed March 17, 2013

ARRIVING:My husband and I went from Winnipeg to Huatulco from Feb.26-Mar.12/2013. Flight was the only bad part of our vacay. Flew with Sunwing and didn't know that the seat on the plane were so small. We are both 5'11 and my knees were tight up against the seat ahead of me. It was horrible. We tried to purchase emergency exits on the way back but they were all taken. On the way back was even worse as the girl in front of me reclyned her seat and I didn't want to say anything as it's her choice to do that.
We arrived at the airport in Huatulco and everything went smooth and quick. Got on the bus and headed to the resort. Only a 25min ride or so. Not a very scenic ride though alot of construction going on there.
We arrived at the resort around 1130am to a welcome (non alcoholic) drink that had cucumber in it, it was delicious, plus a man giving you a cold cloth for your face. Very nice I thought as we were climatizing to the +35 or so sunny day.
The check-in process wasn't very organized. We walked up to the front desk and said we are here to check-in, and she said oh you need to go around the corner and down the hall. So we go there and it was just a table set up with papers with our name on it. They only gave us one key card and said our room wouldnt be ready till 3pm and our luggage would be in the room. So we strolled around and had something to eat at the buffet. Which had a large variety of foods that we liked. Especially the sushi for me. lol
THE ROOM: At 3pm we headed to our room #1521 and it was ready with our luggage in it. It faced one of the 6 pools and the Japanese ala carte. Our door faced the back of a kitchen or something because at night i could hear dishes crashing and bottles being loaded or something, sometimes this was happening at 2am, but it didn't keep us up.
I found the room very modern compared to the rooms we have stayed in at some Barcello's. We had a jacuzzi tub on our balcony (which my hubby used ONCE) I never bothered. Shower only in the bathroom, but only half a glass door so it was hard not to get water on the floor. Every day you recieve a letter under your door with all the activities,weather, drink specials, which ala cartes were going to be open (as some close twice a week. I really liked that.) for the next day.
FOOD:There is a Japanese, Mexican, Italian, Seaside Grill, and a Seafood Grill ala carte resteraunts.
We liked that you don't have to make resrevations at any of them and go as many times as you like. We had Japanese twice, Mexican once, and Seafood Grill once, we enjoyed all of them. The buffet has alot to choose from for all 3 meals usually something for everyone, breakfast was the best to me and I'm not even a breakfast person. We went across the street to Don Portifinos once for quasidillas and hot wings but it wasn't very good. We went to Crucicitta twice to La Creme pizza, it was delishious.
LEAVING RESORT:Cab fare is $4.00 each way, there are alot of places to shop at there, but if you are looking for americanized stuff then its not for you. I saw alot of local homeade stuff, compared to the things I saw at the Rivierre Maya.
You can also order room service 24hrs a day at no charge except a tip if you want, it consisted of certain foods from a menu in the room, had a great clubhouse or cheeseburger that came with fries.
POOL/BEACH:You do have to get up early like 6-7am to reserve seats if you want shade which I did. The staff serving drinks by the pool and on the beach are very good, there was a time every afternoon when we didn't see anyone (maybe the were on siesta)haha. Gerardo was our fav, and Maria was good as well. We usually tip about every 3rd drink. Just depended on how many we had that day. Every day there is Yoga, volleyball, and aquatic in the pool. Amongst other things around some of the other pools.
ILLNESS:Unfortunately I had a case of the runs more than once. I had to cancel my snorkelling excursion one day and stay in the room till noon. I felt that way probally 5 out of the 12 days. Ran out of imodium and the hotel store didn't sell it. I called concierge and she said to go to the drugstore by the barcello the next day. I ended up walking across the street to the convienent store and they had a mini drug store there. (actually I still had the runs for 5days after we got home, not sick feeling though.)
ENTERTAINMENT:We tried going to two of the shows in the theatre but left after 10min as they were pretty lame. Which sucked because when we stay at Barcello's we enjoy the evening shows.
We never went to the disco in the evening which I heard had no a/c in it anyways and heard it was very hot in there.
CHECKOUT:was quick and painless, boarded the bus to the airport and sat around there for a cpl hours waiting to board.
All in all the trip was spectacular! We are very relaxed people and don't need alot of excitement lol so it was perfect for us. There wasn't alot of kids at this time either.

Room Tip: We wish we would have not booked a jacuzzi tub room since we never used it and next time we'd ge...
4 Thank jsmith2424
ohio
Reviewed March 17, 2013

My husband and I just got back from a week long vacation at Dreams. It was amazing. The view from our room to the great food. The beach was very nice wide beach and clean. We ate at all the restaurants and all had great food. The town was very safe to go to.The resort had couples and families but very quiet place. We had no complaints. This is a resort that we would return to.

Room Tip: rooms had nice views, food was awesome, pools were not freezing cold and the staff was very friendly
3 Thank svitte
Winnipeg
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Three years ago we stayed at Dreams and loved everything about it. After being there last week we found that our expectations were again met with the exception of the food. Drinks, service, grounds, room were perfect. However when it came time to eat it was a big disappointment. Breakfast was good, but after that it was down hill. Lunch found me wandering around trying to find something better than the kids buffet for a hot dog and fries. Supper was a disaster, basically the lunch buffet reheated with an option of a tough BBQ steak, which was solved by going into La Crucecita. Loved most everything else about the resort, but go out for supper.

4 Thank JaketheSpringer
alberta
Reviewed March 14, 2013

we had a very good trip the food was good and a lot of choices.The out trips were great and you all ways feel very safe had less trouble here than most places we have been.Rooms were clean bed large and comfortable. It would be a great place to take young children as there is a lot of things for then to do. The resort and the surrounding area is very clean great to see when you are from Canada. A lot of canadians there so no problem getting the curling. Will go again someday.

4 Thank allpike
Brandon, Manitoba
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We had a group of 50 stay at Dreams Resort for one week mid-January for our destination wedding. Upon arrival at the airport, things went fairly smoothly. The airport is under renovations so it was a little slow and VERY hot waiting in line, but once we got through security and baggage, we had a very short ride to the hotel! Most of us had to wait to get checked into our rooms as we were a little early, but that was to be expected! Rooms were very adequate...we had a tropical view, jacuzzi on the deck and it was great and had everything we needed.

The wedding coordinator (Pilar) was extremely helpful and had us where we needed to be, at the time we needed to be there. We opted for the wedding to be held in the gazebo, with a cocktail hour in the gardens immediately following the ceremony. Our photographs were done by Miguel and he did a great job of taking and editing them (although it was a little difficult to get the disc with our pictures before we left, and we still haven't received our wedding video almost two months later).

My favorite thing about this location is that the weather is consistent and beautiful! The beach location, pools and bars were great at this resort! Unfortunately several people in our group had a bout of sickness over the week which was a bit of a downer for them. We are not sure if it was food...or a combination of food, alcohol and the heat but nevertheless, it wasn't very nice for those affected. We personally didn't have any food related issues, and always found something we liked on the menu!

Overall, we have a great time and I wouldn't hesitate to return to this resort!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends