“Dreams a Definite YES!!!!”

Dreams Huatulco Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 48 Hotels in Huatulco
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed February 1, 2013

Just came back from dreams in huatulco. The staff there is truly amazaing. They do not know what to do for you next, and they always reply my pleasure. The food was okay it seems as though a virus was going around but having been to this resort numerous times I cannot blame the resort for the virus. The hotel definately listened to the recommendations given to them in the past, as the resort was truly immaculetely clean. There seemed to have been an attendant constantly manning the public restrooms as they were spotless. The service in the restaurant although sometimes slow due to language barriers and the order getting confused was still very good. I would definately go back to this resort, and to notwe you get no better weather in January in Huatulco zero percent chance of rain!!!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
7  Thank ellen5233
Write a ReviewReviews (3,586)

Reviewed January 31, 2013

When reading reviews before we left I had a hard time finding one with tips for this resort with a baby so I am just going to list some things that I know I had questions about.

Cribs are available, and need to be requested at check in. They are the old style wooden ones with about 4-5 inches between the slats and since our son is a roller, we tied pillow cases to the slats so that he wouldn't get his legs stuck sticking out. Our room was huge in any way. We had two double beds and by the time the crib was brought in we didn't have much maneuver room but we managed.

High chairs are available at all of the restaurants and the staff often brought one to our table without us having to ask for one.

We were in building number 2 on the ground floor facing the main pool. We would put our son to bed around 9 and my husband and I would sit on our patio and order room service snacks and drinks. From our room we could hear the evening entertainment from the lobby lounge. We quite enjoyed it. And it offered us some nice "us" time.

Our son is formula fed and has been introduced to solids since 4 months. We used powder formula and mixed bottled water. He was fine. A little constipated, but my guess it was from the heat. Nothing a little fruit juice didn't help with.

Fruit is very abundant at the buffet during any meal. My son enjoyed getting to try some new fruits that aren't available at our home during this time of year. He did eat some of our food from our plates as well but not too much. I did get ill on day 4 from the food, but he and my husband were fine.

There is a designated kids pool, but we frequented one of the main pools. Kids were only restricted from one of the six pools. Which is fine with us. My son often napped on a shaded pool lounger while my husband and I soaked up the rays and enjoyed the pool ourselves. We took a floaty for our son. Which was a godsend that we didn't have to hold him in the pool all the time. He is a splasher and quite enjoyed himself. Finding chairs wasn't a issue. Yes, there were the typical chair hogs who leave towels and then aren't anywhere to be seen all day. But there is a written 30 minute reservation rule. We often found people offering their chairs to us so that our son could be in the shade.

We took a taxi into the nearby town of La Crucieta. We felt very safe with our son checking out the many shops and bartering with the locals.

We took a collapsible umbrella stroller for use around the resort. It came very much in handy. It isn't a huge resort but not having to carry my son everywhere was a relief.
We did also take a baby carrier for walks along the beach.

We did one excursion called Paradise Found Bay. It was long. If you aren't a snorkeler I don't recommend it. My husband is so he liked it but that left me stuck on the boat with my son. We stopped at two beaches but they offered very little shade so I stayed on the boat while my husband snorkelled.

The staff was very helpful with our son. Offering help at every chance.

I think this covers most of the questions that I had before we left. If you have specific questions please feel free to message me and I will get back to you.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
16  Thank Jenn S
Reviewed January 31, 2013

I was nervous about this resort after reading all the reviews especially about people getting sick as we have a toddler and I am pregnant. So I had to take the time to write a review as we loved the resort. Check in was a breeze they had everything all set up we just had to give our name, sign and they gave us our keys, took less than 5 mins. Our room was perfect the only thing that was a bit annoying was the lack of a fan in the bathroom but no big deal. We had a basic room (not preferred club) but it was nice and modern. The resort is the perfect size so you could walk anywhere in 5 mins. There are lots of pools (6 I believe) but the ocean front ones were the most popular. We preferred them as they had a huge ledge that was great for our son to play on. They had baskets with towels at all the pools and beach entrances. Which was great bc you didn't have to trade in for a card like some resorts and could have 2 towels if you wanted to. They were constantly filling them too.
There was 6 restaurants including the buffet:Oceana-Seafood, Seaside Grill-Steak ribs etc..., Himitsu (sp?)-Asian, El Patio-Mexican, Portofino-Italian. Oceana was only open the first night we got there so we never tried it. Seaside grill was OK but has a small menu, the appetizers are not the best. The Asian restaurant is not the typical Teppanyaki style most resorts have it was OK. The appetizers were better than the mains. El Patio was pretty good, they had buffet style appetizers that were pretty good and the Steak Fajitas were good. They make the Tortillas fresh there and they are great. Italian is Adults only so we never went there but heard it was the best restaurant. Room Service was pretty good although all we ever had from there was breakfast and kids menu. We had lunch most days at seaside grill and breakfast at World Cafe (buffet) both were good but had the same food everyday. Food is the only reason I would not give this resort a 5.
We never got sick but heard a lot of stories of people getting sick. I was pretty paranoid so we were constantly sanitizing our hands and I would wipe down the high chairs before my son used them. People may of thought I was crazy but I would rather not spend my vacation confined to my room. I think alot of it is the extreme heat there combined with all the drinks many of which have coconut in them...
Overall we really liked the resort and Hualtulco. The beach was really clear and the fish came right up to the shallow water which was cool. The service was great at the resort. We travelled there for a Wedding the wedding was beautiful. I have been to a few DW's including my own and I would say it's a great resort for weddings. The wedding coordinator was there through the whole wedding even the reception. A note about the airport after you check in don't go through security right away. Once you go through its just a large (air conditioned) room with a small store for snacks and alcohol and there is small jewelry stand. There is a lot more outside.

Room Tip: The room we were in, room 2120 was loud on some nights bc it backed on to where the recpetions were...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank edmontonbride
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Just came back from 2 weeks at Dreams. Property is beautiful and so is the scenery. Weather was fabulous. We felt the amenities were less than last year. Fewer outside shows; not much to do unless you leave the resort. We both got seriuosly ill; as it seemed SO MANY GUESTS did also. Whether we were at the pool, in the lobby or a restaurant, we heard someone asking people from their party "how are you feeling"? My husband got ill first and it's been 2 wks & he's still not feeling well & I've been ill for a week. We told the concierge of our illnesss and her comment was "guess it's the luck of the draw" and defiantely informed us that the staff ate the same food, We know of a couple staff members that were sick also. Our housekeeping service was excellent; our room was always immaculate. TV is too small. We have bacterial infections from this trip & have missed work, We will not return to Dreams Huatulco.

1  Thank Linda D
Reviewed January 29, 2013

This was our fourth trip to Huatulco in five years. The first three trips we stayed at the Barcelo and this time stayed at the Dreams, so its very difficult to not compare the two properties. When we booked I had to ask myself if it was the hotel that made this area the perfect destination or is it the Huatulco area itself. Its Huatulco. The people are so very friendly at the resorts, on the beach as well as in town. The weather is fabulous, if you like it hot, and coming from Canada in the winter - the hotter the better. There are pros and cons to both the Dreams and the Barcelo, so it depends on what you find important and what you are willing to pay for.

Dreams - loved not having to make reservations at the ala cartes
-unlimited towels - which is nice however you find people reserving chairs in more than one area :(
-beautiful & numerous pool areas

Barcelo - larger rooms
- far more storage for clothes
- a bit smaller of a resort so less walking
- more of a Mexican "feel"
- a larger selection at the buffets

The beach venders are fabulous. A simple no thank you and they move on. Irritates me to my inner core when people are rude to them. This is their country and this is how they make their living so be polite !!!
We have booked our fishing trips every year with Elias and he never fails to show us a good time. Didn't catch the "big one" this year but saw whales, dolphins, turtles and rays, and did catch 19 bonita.
Both hotels are full of fabulous staff, clean rooms and wonderful food. They share the beach and are the same distance to the shops across the street. Is the Dreams worth the extra cash - I don't think so.
So will I go back to Huatulco - in a heartbeat. Which resort will I stay at - either or - doesn't matter to me.

Room Tip: We were loking out towards the Japanese restaurant. Was a bit disappointed that there wasn't a b...
9  Thank lovetheweather
Reviewed January 29, 2013

We just returned from our one week stay at Dreams and I cannot say enough wonderful things about the resort. From the moment we set foot on the property we were well and truly on vacation. Excellent staff throughout the resort, with one common goal, to make you happy and relaxed. A special thank you to Dulce and Jean from the entertainment crew for never failing to make us smile. Their warm and welcoming demeanor immediately puts you at ease. No pressure, no problems. The rooms and resort facilities were immaculate, the beds fresh and comfortable. The wait staff and housekeeping pay attention to your individual likes and dislikes trying to anticipate your every need. The food was decent, that said, I have been to several allinclusives and on several cruises, and have never found the food to be all that fantastic. Perfect weather every day, all and all one of the best relaxation trips ever!

Room Tip: We stayed in building 1 which we found to be quieter. We had friends in building 4 who enjoyed the...
4  Thank brina723
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Just returned from 2 weeks at Dreams.stayed at Barcelo last time and preferred Dreams. The shining glory of this resort is the people who work there. They make it their mandate to make sure all is well. The simple phrase "it's my pleasure" goes a long way when you have thanked someone for doing their job . Fernando( head concierge) made our stay very special by upgrading us to a junior suite with ocean view simply because we were willing to change rooms so that a special needs child's family wouldnt have to be in a room with a balcony. Unexpected but very much appreciated. He is the perfect person to represent the resort with his amazing personality and professionalism.
We had no complaints at all about any aspect ... Really appreciated the service at poolside...especially the lovely , hardworking Primi .
Zivan made several rounds each day to make sure everyone had everything they needed at poolside etc. Nice to know any concerns would be dealt with.
The food was ample except the Mexican a la carte.disorganized and not great food?
We took in a 1 hour hydrotherapy(awesome) and 80 minute massage at the spa. Very lovely.
The beach is great . Lots to see and do.not likely great for young kids as the surf can be a bit
rough.
This is a lovely part of Mexico...easy to access all sorts of beautiful quiet beaches, the sweet town of Le Crucecita. The weather is consistently hot....don't bother to take a sweater or wrap for the evening. You won't need it!

Room Tip: Ocean view junior suite 4573 close to everything....quiet....beautiful view.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends