“Good Vacation”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
cambridge
“Good Vacation”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

We just returned from our family vacation Dec. 25 to Jan. 1. The weather was perfect - sunny and warm every day! Beach was great (no jelly fish this year) great swimming and sailing (you can even feed fish in the am - this is amazing - 100's of large fish swim right to shore and swim around you)

The bar service was wonderful - you where never thirsty! Steve (the outside manager) was very helpful - Fernando - not so much - was always smiling but not very helpful (to the point that he upset many guests - he had zero flexibility)

The resort was always clean - everyone works hard - the turn down service was a waste of time as they often came right after the room was cleaned (about 4) we had not even showered for the evening - they left one chocolate - what is the point? either leave enough for everyone in the room or not at all - we upgraded to preferred - not worth the money (it is at other Dreams but I wouldn't bother at this one)

There was a major language barrier here - this resulted in poor service -certainly not at the same level as other Dreams and Secrets that we have been too. It is the little things that matter and when people don't understand English... the little things are not taken care of

The spa was great.... The gym was tinny - but it is safe to run outside of the resort.

We went on an excersion to see iganas and rafting - great morning out - highly recommend it.

New Year's Eve was good - the resort put on a great party.... messaging on when to sign up for tables etc was an issue - but great party and fire works

We were not impressed with the kids club here compared to other Dreams but liked the fact that our kids could sign themselves out.

The food was only average at this resort.

Overall, good resort, not to the same level as other Dreams or Secrets

4 Thank Kklong

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (587)
Pattaya, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

My parents, wife and 2 teenage sons went to Dreams Huatulco during x-mas break. I had a great time and it was really cool going to resort with a diversity of guests. Below is my recap since I have read some previous posts that must expect the Queen of England to have everything planned to perfection for their standards:

Resort- Nice and clean; friendly staff
Beach- ok, at a slant but the water is warm- take a cab to one of the other local beaches which are great
Pools- nice and clean; watch out for the fat American pool Nazis who expect to have the same chairs everyday so they can just eat and drink 1,000 calorie drinks and complain if you get there earlier and get a chair; they should hit the gym a little more
Spa- my wife said it was really nice and good massages
Food- I thought it was good, not great but nobody got sick and their Mexican nights were good outside. Xmas Eve dinner was also very good. Portofino and El Patio were good.
Rooms- nice and spacious; mini bars always stocked and the maid service was top notch- always cleaning and they worked really hard- a/c worked well and I thought the rooms were really good.
Location- $4 can get you a cab to Las Crucietas town where you can shop and eat if you want; cool town and went there several times and ate there also; nice to be able to get off the resort to check out the town and it was totally safe
Excursions- there's the standard offers, went fishing on White Shark with Jesus and we caught 4 skipjacks and a Mahi Mahi that was really cool- good time
Staff- very nice, worked hard and helpful when needed
Weather- no clouds, 97 everday, no rain- perfect weather
Airport- 20 minutes to the resort, not much to the airport but it works

I had a great time and thought this is the best A/I I have been to over Dreams Punta Cana (dump), Dreams Puerto Villarta (#2), Iberostar Riviera Maya (no waves and not warm enough over x-mas but great place), Beaches Negril (ok I guess if you have little kids) and Sandals Whitehouse (nice place for adults but no kids).

2 Thank RichDA70
Saskatoon, Sk. Canada.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2012

This was our first trip to Huatulco, and we were very fortunate to have selected the Dreams resort for our stay from Dec 18 - 25, 2012.
This was our 11th All Inclusive vacation, of which we have spent most in the Carribean. Moving forward, I am guessing I will be visiting Huatulco more, and the Mayan Riviera less...
The weather, for starters, is excellent. It is very rare to have a cloudy or cool day.
As for the resort itself, here are what I will call the highlights:
- The Pools. For starters, there are 6 pools. 3 pools are infinity pools, overlooking the ocean. They are all a consistent depth, of about 40" I would guess.
- Bar Service. There are several bars, and excellent service by the wait staff at the pools.
- House keeping. This place is ridiculously clean. They do a terrific job in this regard.
- Resort layout. It is awesome. They have pools spread out throughout the property, along with bars and places to eat. You can also find shade when you need it, or sun when you want it. The resort is also very compact, and you can walk form one side of it to the other in a couple of minutes.
- Rooms. They are very clean, and adequate in size. The beds are very comfortable, which was a very nice surprise, as they are quite often hard as a rock, and horribly uncomfortable. One small issue, was that there is not a lot of furniture provided to unpack your things. There are really only (4) small drawers in the rooms to unpack clothing, which is not adequate if you are a family of 4... but obviously a very minor issue. Mini bar was provided and was re-stocked on a semi-regular basis.
- Beach. The beach is good, I wouldn't say it is the "best I have ever seen", but it is very good. It is a bit steep in places, and there can be pretty good surf here, so you need to be very concious of where your kids are, if they are playing near the water. As long as you are careful, the beach is great, and you can snorkle right out front for free.
- Huatulco itself. VERY clean and friendly. We did not feel unsafe in any way.
It is also nice that the resort is only about 25 minutes from the air port.
- Staff. Friendly and helpful. I really can't summarize it better than that. We found the service to be very good, and we met some wonderful staff there that we hope to see again.
- Food. As always, this is a point of contention among many travellers. For those of you who expect a 5 Star $150 per plate steak from a upscale north american establishment every night as part of your all inclusive... pull your heads from your butt's. This is MEXICO... You will not likely find this kind of food quality at ANY resort. As noted above, this is my 11th AI experience. I have a pretty good idea of what is good and what is not, in the world of All Inclusives. This place HAS GOOD FOOD. Yes, the buffet can be somewhat repetitive, and no, you will not likely have the best ribeye of your life here... but, the food is still good. They make the buffet repetitve, because they are catering to many nationalities, with many different tastes. They are also catering to kids! So, yes, having hot dogs in the buffet from time to time is OK. I have kids. They ate them, and I was fine with that. Sometimes they need something familiar too.
In any case, the buffet always has a wide variety of options. You do not need to like everything, or want everything. As long as you can find a few things each day you like, you will surive!
There were 17 people in my group (10 adults and 7 children), and not one of us was sick. Nor, did I hear even 1 complaint about the food. If you go with ridiculous expectations, you might be dissapointed, but we were VERY happy with the food here.

I can't really think of anything that I would note as being a negative about this resort, except for that our room was adjoining, and you could easily hear through the adjoining doors.

Bang for you buck, I would say this was easily the best resort and destination choice we could have made for our family this year.
I would go back in an instant to this place, and I honestly do plan to rebook here next year.
We thoroughly enjoyed the resort, the people, and Huatulco.
This is an excellent resort choice for families.

Room Tip: The rooms in the #2 block, ground floor are a great location. Only a few steps from the pools and o...
24 Thank Hale_24
Victoria, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2012 via mobile

We travelled to Dreams for a week on November 20th, with friends. This was our second visit, having stayed at Dreams last November too.

Sunwing - Well, they are an economy charter. The "champagne service" is a very small plastic cup of sparkling wine, seats are cramped etc but for the price we really didn't mind. We've done "elite plus" to get extra luggage capacity but not sure we'd recommend it as the seats are not that much different. For half the price we went with the "premium" package which allowed us to do seat selection and gave us priority check in and boarding, which can be really really nice. On our last Sunwing trip in October both of our checked bags were destroyed (crushed). Sunwing did replace both though so we were impressed there (although it took a bit of work to find out who to talk to).

Huatulco Airport - Anyone who has been to the larger resort areas will know the Mexican airport drill. Like any country, you will go through both customs and immigration. They will xray all your luggage, and then you will press a button - red light means they will search your luggage, green light means you are fine. Then, usually, you exit into the main airport which rents space to time share vendors, who are very aggressive and will try to fool you into thinking they are your hotel rep, transportation or tour guide. Do not talk to these people unless you want a really bad start to your vacation - your real tour rep and transportation are found outside the airport building. There are two big differences at Hualtuco. First, the airport is very small and easy to navigate. Second, the time share vendor problem is not as bad.

Mexico General - Learn a few words of Spanish, it does help a lot. Some areas, such as Acaplulco, have become quite dangerous due to drug gang activity. Most resort areas are reasonably safe, but one should use common sense precautions as one would do in their home city. Negotiate the cab fair before you get in, and be prepared to bargain in local shops. Internet and bank machines are abundant. You can use small amounts of US currency in most places, but larger amounts are difficult for Mexicans to deal with due to restrictions aimed at curtailing drug activitiy. Perhaps the best place, certainly the easiest, to get pesos is a bank machine.

Huatulco in General - Huatulco is a smaller resort area, not nearly as developed as the big areas such as PV and Cancun. As such, it is quieter and quite safe. The local town of La Crucecita is very authentic, without the larger retail and restaurant chains you see in larger cities. The town square is a great spot to start your visit, with lots of shops and restaurants close and very scenic. The cab ride from the hotel is only $3. Hey, they will even take Canadian money in some places!

The Hotel - We've been to many all inclusives across Mexico. While Dreams is not five star by any means, it is well managed with service standards higher than most hotels we've visited. It is not a new hotel, but generally well maintained and managed. Check in is very quick, with a towel and cold drink to welcome you. The first room they gave us was not the jacuzzi suite we booked, but they were very quick at fixing that. Do not pay extra for the preferred sectiion. The rooms really are not much better, and the extra amenities not really worth it (pretty much everyone said that).

Food - Last year the main buffet was a bit of a disappointment. This year it was much better, we quite liked it. The Mexican a la carte was very good this year, with a solid selection of menu items and spectacular service. While we enjoyed the asian last year, it had gone downhill a bit. The best food experience by far was Mexican night, where a huge buffet is set up outside in the courtyard. The selection of authentic cuisine from all over Mexico was massive, all high quality and delicious. We didn't want to stop eating!

Amenities - Drink service is generally good, where ever you are - beach, pool, lobby bar. The staff work really hard (so tip, I know it's all inclusive but tip anyway as they do not make a lot of money and a little extra goes a long way). We were dissapointed by changes to the pool allocations. Last year two of the six pools were reserved for adults, with a party pool by the beach and a quiet pool set away from the beach. This year only the beach side pool is reserved for adults, which is fine when you want more of a party atmosphere but really not so good when you are looking for a quieter experience with friends, a nap, chance to read a book, etc. The beach is quite beautiful, with nice water and lots of fish if you like to snorkel which I do. Palapas are a bit limited if you desire shade, but we were generally able to find one although the towel game was an issue (people who get up at five in the morning to reserve the best spots until they decide to show up around noon). One guy from Chicago would actually put a sign on his lounger in spanish threating to kill anyone that touched his towel - we did take the sign and throw in the garbage on principle).

Things to do - Hey, some tour operators tell you not to buy things on the beach but it can be quite fun. Be prepared to negotiate, which contiributes to the experience. We met Carolina on the beach last year, a woman originally from Argentina who makes her own unique jewellery and would recommend that you check out her stuff. She also has a shop in town. Since last year her partner Miles has started a business doing tours to local sights using VW "things." We went for a river tour with him, followed by a great lunch with a local family. We'd highly recommend his tours, which you can book from the activities desk at the hotel (Safari Tours).

In Huatulco you can have a great experience booking a boat tour from a beach vendor. The bays are beautiful and the ocean is full of sea life. You can get advice on which guys to use from other TripAdvisor reviews. For $40 to $50 per person you can have a half day on the water, fishing, snorkeling, touring the bays or whatever you like. The hotel will cook fish that you catch for free. Huatulco also has ruins in the vicinity that you can visit.

Bottom line, would we recommend Huatulco? absolutely! Dreams? yes, and we'd go back. Advice to hotel management though - please restore the quiet pool area to adults only, thanks.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
20 Thank roboflyer
Chesterton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2012

Spent week of Dec 8-15th and the first visit to this resort and Huatulco. We have been visiting Mexico for many years now and I think this resort just may make the almost favorite list. The resort itself was very clean and pleasant. Loved the rooms which were always kept very nice. The turn down service at night was a real nice touch. Did not have a complaint about one staff person in the entire place, everybody was so very nice and could not do enough to please you. Ana at the pool was wonderful and kept us well hydrated!! Zivan spent most of his day just walking around making sure we were all happy and taken care of. The only problem was the darn "Can't see-em's" Will be prepared with Off (bug spray) next time. I got some pretty nasty bites but met a dear dear new best friend in the lobby. Her name is Andrea Romero. She is in the sales dept at the resort and just such a sweet young lady. I enjoyed talking with her and she was kind enough to bring me some medicine for the bites. I would like to see maybe some "Off" placed in the rooms my next visit but with or without, I will be returning. Also, enjoyed our new Chicago friends and would love to see them again (Sue, where is my E-Mail?)Denny and Doris from Indiana

Room Tip: Stay off the ground floor if possible. The can't see-em's (sand fleas) might be bothersome...
Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank twodd
Buffalo Grove, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2012

My husband and I were also with the group from Chicago--Hi, Frank, Denny, Doris, JoAnn and Dan! We met lots of very friendly people and most of them had been to the resort many times, which I think speaks well for it. The no see ums that Frank referred to--next time we'll be prepared for them with bug spray, but we'll definitely go back. The pool and view of the bay were the most breathtaking of any resort we've ever been to. Juana and Ana at the pool bar were exceptional and got me the BEST margaritas! Our housekeeper, Norma, was wonderful and our room was always cleaned early and well. My husband cut his foot and the lifeguards, Ivan, Freddy, Jorge and Hippolito, took great care of him; having to bandage it three times. This is the first resort we have been to where you're treated like adults--no pool cards, no dinner reservations, no wrist bands--it was nice. The food was good. A little more variety in the buffet would have been nice, but as long as I don't have to cook it, I'm not really complaining. Always plenty of room at one of the five pools and the snorkeling right off the beach was very nice. We will definitely go back--maybe with our new-found friends!
Sue and Tom

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank suejnml
South Beloit, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2012

I spent the week of Dec.8-15,2012 at this resort.Before this trip,I did read many reviews about Dreams Huatulco.I found this resort to be an incredible value and I travel several times each year to all inclusive resorts similar to this 1.The room I had(2201) was very clean and well kept,my thank you to Isabel Garcia.The food has been complained about in other reviews I read,but found all of it to be of very high quality with exceptional taste.I usually do season my food alot,but found no need as it all tasted very good.The pools there are very numerous and very attractive,as was the beach there as well.Ok,if I had any concerns to tell future visitors about,it would be that possibly a few more strategically placed restrooms might be added.There are plenty,but a few more placed closer to the many beach pools would have been appreciated.There are children at this resort,but none caused any issues that I noticed with anyone.Oh yeah,1 last thing that is not meant as a complaint to Dreams,but I do wish the no see um bugs could be controlled a little better,but as with nature,some things need to be tolerated.I'm not paid for this review and it is an honest opinion of what I just experienced there last week.If you're considering this resort,please rest assured the complete staff will do everything possible to make your visit with them a pleasant experience. Frank,from the Chicago bunch...lol

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo