“Great Vacation - a special THANK YOU to Zivan!”

Dreams Huatulco Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 48 Hotels in Huatulco
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed December 4, 2012

We stayed at the Dreams Resort from November 20-27th. Our experience was very good. The hotel is very clean and the food was very good.

My husband broke his foot the day we left and the Sunwing staff at the hotel in Mexico (NOT CANADA) was very attentive and helpful whenever we needed it. The Mexican Sunwing staff is to be commended. They helped us off the plane, at the airport and back onto the plane when we left. I sure cannot say the same for the Canadian Sunwing staff.

As soon as we arrived at the resort we met ZIVAN and he assisted us our entire trip and stopped by and visited us at the pool to see if we needed anything or just to say hi. He even helped me out when my husband developed an infection in his foot. I don't know what we would have done without his assistance! THANK YOU ZIVAN! You are a great asset to the Dreams Resort! All of the other staff members in the restaurants and bars were also very helpful and attentive. I would like to thank the bartenders at the Rendevous bar for always providing me with ice bags for my husband to ice his foot - much appreciated.

I would defintely recommend this resort to anyone and we will for sure be back!

Room Tip: We had a garden view and could still see the ocean. Hot tub on the deck. Air conditioning is amazi...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Louis W
Write a ReviewReviews (3,586)

Reviewed December 1, 2012

This is an excellent hotel located on the beautifull beach, breathtaking views!!! I recommend this hotel for the Family with kids. We had the best time ever! The rooms were nice and the housekeepers did the excellent job cleaning the rooms few times a day.We had great weather. I want to Thank one of the staff member, his name is ZIVAN who was very, very nice and told us about attractions and all the information we needed to know. He was always there when we needed him. The Dreams resort is very lucky to have an excellent employee as Zivan.

10  Thank AnnaTWoodDale
Reviewed November 29, 2012

Geez, where does one begin! Thanks to the 26 new "thirsty" friends we spent the week with!! Let me say, sun was a plenty, drinks even more plentiful, and the food very good. Our housekeeper Angelica kept our room in great shape, always clean, lots of towels, turn down service with chocolates. Mini bar always well stocked, thanks guys!We had a partial ocean view room in building 4, very nice. Breakfast was always at the buffet. Omellettes, yummy! There is plenty of variety of meats,veggies, quiche, fruits, pasteries. Of course the mimosas where a given every morning as well:) Ana was our server almost everyday, always a big smile and a giggle to start the day off.We ate at all of the a la cartes except the Japanese cause we did the Mexican twice, it was our favorite! Lunches were eaten by the ocean at the Oceanic, again good variety, great pork soft tacos, cheese burgers, salsa, desserts.
Excursions:
My husband and 3 fellow "thirsty" guys went on a deep sea fishing trip.Tino was their captain, great guy very helpful. They caught 2 Mauhi Mauhi's(not sure of spelling) and about a 70lb. Sailfish.Lots of dolphin's and sea turtles seen along the way.The Mauhi Mauhi was brought back to the resort and they prepared it for our group of 28, delish very well presented, thanks to the cooks!!
Snorkelling tour:
Again, Tino was the man. We visited a couple of bays for snorkelling. I would have to say the last bay was my favourite, we (20 of us) besides 2 local couples were the only ones at the beach, beautiful!! several different kinds of colourful fish to see.Of course the cerveza's, rum punch, and good company made for a fun afternoon. Although we didn't see any Dolphin's we did see 2 sea turtle's.
The atmosphere at the Dreams is very nice. The 3 infinity pools overlooking the ocean, awesome, beautiful views everyday! My husband and I are ocean lovers and it proved to be a great place for this! Water was amazing, great temperature, very clear, no seaweed, and you don't need water socks either. This is where we met another wonderful Dreams employee, his name is Aleajandro(hope I got it right) just a young fellow but he kept the beach area very clean always willing to bring you a table or get you a fresh towel if you wanted one.
By the poolside, which we spent alot of time at the adults pool. Zivan, was always around to answer any questions you might have or to simply ask if your vacation is good and you are having fun (which we had alot of) thanx Zivan. Karen was our poolside server for most of our time at the pool, always hola and a smile to follow. Thanx Karen for the great service! The thirsty group will miss you!
In closing I would like to say that I don't think you can go wrong staying at the Dreams. Sun, fun, great people, good times, great weather!!!

Room Tip: Several people in our group enjoyed the prefferred club, we had the partial ocn vw in building 4, ve...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
11  Thank fiestygirl
Reviewed November 28, 2012

Overall, very tranquil resort. Rooms wonderful, mini bar restocked daily in room. Clientele mainly Canadian and Mexican, young to old, families to singles, a real mixed bag. Wifi is expensive at resort. It is not based on usage, but on actual time. If you buy 60 minutes and log on at 9 am, your time will expire at 10 am and that would have cost you $10. The Italian Coffee Company located across the street from the Barcelo resort, a two minute walk north from Dreams has free WiFi for the cost of coffee, about $1 or $2 for a Latte and to top that, the coffee was excellent. Beach towels available at the pools all day, short but nice walking beach, ocean calmer than we expected with very light winds, early morning snorkeling from the beach was good, lots of juvenile fish, saw two small eagle rays and two small moray ells just off the rocks on the southside of the beach. Very few Palapas at the beach, but there are many many pools with plenty of shade that are very quiet. No loud music at the bars, pools or beach.. Food was rated good, not a huge variety, but something for everyone.. The outdoor open air theme nights Mexican and Spanish, the setup for about 400 guests, very festive, The evening shows were small whenl compared to the DR., but everyone including the performers were having fun. The Himitsu and the Seafood restaurants Al a Carte food was generally overcooked and the presentation of the food was lacking. Taxi's, wonderful, but this is hard for me to write they don't charge enough. Cost to take 4 passengers to the town of La Crucecita or Santa Cruz was $4 total. These guys need to go to the Caribbean to see what it costs there. Needless to say they got big tips. Excursions offered by resort and Sunwing etc, were a bit more pricey compared to locations like the BVI’s, St Martin, St Thomas for what you got. Example a trip to a papaya plantation, iguana farm and river floating (not white water rafting) no lunch, only bottled water was $60 per person for a half day trip The main attraction was the Iguana Farm. By taxi if cost $8 total for the taxi plus tip and something like 2 to 3 dollars entrance fee. Enough said on that, booking tours from vendors on the beach is again buyer beware. Shopping and bartering was fun, none of the vendors were overly pushy and the quality of the merchandise was very good. This included fruits, vegetables, fish and meats, silver, ceramics leather, coffee booze etc. Try to buy same things together an example they were asking $35 for one locally make purse we picked out 7 bartered the price to $15 ea. Same with leather belts from $35 ea to $20 ea when we picked out 4. Now the fantastic points, the resort is extremely clean, no pungent smells. No one hawking timeshares. There are very few guests that smoked and there was no smoking in the restaurants etc. Also kudos to the ones that did smoke as they did so mostly away from other guests and staff. All the staff were excellent, happy, helpful, friendly and thorough. Hamburgers, best hamburgers I have had at a resort or restaurant in years! “Cocktails of the Day”, with or without alcohol simplily excellent. The Huatulco area is very clean, very friendly and very safe. Sorry, we are not spa people, so we didn't have any of the spa treatments. Our traveling companions used the well equipped gym and were pleased with the condition of the equipment. Would we return to Huatulco for a relaxing tranquil week. Definitely yes.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
12  Thank GaryEloise
Reviewed November 25, 2012

My family and I just got back from Dreams Resort. I've always traveled with my family to Riviera Maya, Mexico for the past couple of years and this was the first time we traveled to the Pacific side. I can definitely say that this area has one of the most breathtaking views you can ever imagine. The beach is stunning. I've never seen water so blue and sand so golden. I loved how some of the rocks on the beach were in the shape of an animal, such as a turtle, frog, elephant, or dolphin. If you go jet-skiing or on a boat tour you'll see all of these. The hotel is very clean and we all felt very comfortable in it. The food was not the best in my opinion, however, the Italian and the seafood restaurants were the best! Great service and food! The entertainment in the evening was pretty good, however, there should be more activities to do on the beach and a lot more nightly entertainment. Everything is pretty much dead after 9:00 pm. Beach parties, dances on the beach, food on the beach would be great ideas!! However, I can't complain because I really did enjoy myself and you really do feel like you're in a "dream" at this hotel. One particular staff member was always so kind to me and my family. His name is Zivan! (I hope I didn't misspell his name haha). He always came to me at the pool area and made sure I was enjoying myself and that there are no complaints. He tried to make my experience very memorable and I would like to thank Zivan for that. It wouldn't be such a good vacation without him!! He told me the attractions in Huatulco, Mexico and which clubs to check out at night. I highly recommend him for any questions.

5  Thank Cammy4561
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Dreams Hotel and the feeding frenzy all-inclusive atmosphere was a bit of a culture shock after our stay up the coast in Puerto Escondido, but we met here with family and friends with children and we all had a wonderful time. The service is excellent and no-one got sick from the food --- or from drinking too much alcohol. The children loved the relaxed children-friendly atmosphere of the hotel and the kids' movies by the pool in the evenings.

Since the opening of adult-only Secrets, Dreams has become, even more so, a wonderful hotel for children, a Lilliputian social whirl. The Mexican economy is doing well and the availibility of inexpensive packages from Mexico City and Oaxaca is encouraging middle-class Mexican families to holiday here. Dreams appears to have a more Mexican atmosphere than when it first opened.
If you have an aversion to the happy (and sometimes not so happy) sounds of children, you would be best to book at the adult-only Secrets. Dreams has only one adult-only restaurant, the Portofino, and young adults do invade the adult-only pool.

Dreams is divided into four adjoining buildings.
Buliding One (A) is the new addition built by Dreams when they took over from the Gala. It overlooks a peaceful tropical garden with a large L-shaped swimming pool and jacuzzi. The Japanese restaurant is on the ground floor. It is usually very quiet in this part of the hotel and the pool is good for children as it is not deep.
Building Two (B) has one side that looks west (sunsets) and has partial ocean views. Very pleasant.

The top floors of Building Three (C) have the CLUB PREFERRED section (Also club suites are in bldgs. 2, 3 & 4) The AC Club lounge is on the 6th floor.. The CP rooms which overlook the outdoor bar (Room 3446 for example!) can be noisy. The Club Preferred rooms are good if you enjoy sitting out on your balcony enjoying a drink and a full ocean view. The Lounge is a good place for a quiet early breakfast away from the frenzy and noise of the World Cafe, or for before dinner drinks in an AC atmosphere. There is no computer access there anymore.
We question the value of the considerable extra expense for Club Preferred.

Building Four (D)is the most convenient if you have small children. Rooms on the east overlook a swimming pool ( and the movies!) and rooms on the west overlook the children-only swimming pool and the gardens of the quieter side of the Barcelo. Building Four is also closest to the safest part of the beach to enter and exit the sea---toward the Barcelo and the boat launch area where the little island shelters the bay from wave action.

Hurricane Carlotta has redistributed the sand on the beach. The Club Preferred section is a bit of a shambles, with high levels of sand. It seems to be a storage are for beach furniture broken or functioning. Plus it is the preferred lounging area for beach vendors. Not agreeable by any means. It is also the more treacherous place to enter the sea especially when there are swells.

Tangolunda's sand fleas are the most vicious insects I have ever encountered on any beach anywhere. Amazing invisible little monsters. Those susceptible to bites can swell up and be in an itchy misery for days, even when you have left the area, left Mexico! Deet seems the only protection.
Be mindful of this if you are attending a wedding here. The swellings and the red dots where you got bitten are not attractive.

Dreams does a fantastic job of "the Mexican Beach Wedding", but if you have no children in your wedding party, go to Secrets.

Room Tip: Read review!
6  Thank Farsante2
Reviewed November 15, 2012

We just got back after spending a week at the Dreams Resort. This was our first time at an all inclusive and so we were not sure what to expect. I can tell it it met and exceeded all our expectations. The staff was so friendly always greeting us with a "hola". The room was very nice and the maid service was excellent. We tried all the restaurants and enjoyed all of them very much. We especially liked the Mexican Night on the Saturday night were the mexican buffet was served outside with an amazing variety of food. The drink service everyday on the beach or by the pool was great. You were certainly never went thirsty and the drinks were good. We also very much enjoyed the entertainment in the Theatre Room. The beach was so beautiful and clear that you could see the fish swimming around you. We flew Sunwing and the sunwing staff were always there to help answer any questions you had. We would certainly return again!

Room Tip: We chose to upgrade and get a room on the 4th floor with a tropical view and partial ocean view. It...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends