“Wonderful vacation at Dreams!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Dreams Huatulco Resort & Spa
Ranked #4 of 49 Hotels in Huatulco
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
New Orleans, LA
“Wonderful vacation at Dreams!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

My husband and I (married on Oct 12, 2012 - this was our honeymoon) visited Dreams from Oct. 13 - 20, 2012. I must say leading up to the trip I was nervous about some of the reviews I had read on TripAdvisor. I read these horror stories of the place falling apart, the food being miserable, the staff being rude, it was just a mess...NOT AT ALL! Dreams was so clean, so hospitable, and just a wonderful place to be! It seems the time of year we went was perfect...great weather and very little tourists so we always had a pick of beach or pool chairs. The food was great, sometimes a little bland (but we are from New Orleans, so we are use to a lot of spice). I would recommend always getting your meat cooked medium well to well in order to kill all bacteria, but that can apply anywhere. The rooms weren't huge but spacious enough, you're at the beach, go enjoy it! The maintenance team at Dreams is amazing. The pools (we mainly stayed at the adult only pool) were always clean, the grounds were always manicured, and all of the public bathrooms were fully stocked/cleaned. The staff was amazing! Every time I turned around I had another drink, or water, or coconut, etc I have to give props to some of my favorite staff members who went out of their way to insure we had an amazing time...Juana, she is amazing! She does poolside and beach drink service. So kind and warm, always making sure you are ok...<3 her! Prospero!! Prospero worked at the Barracuda Bar (beach side) while we were there. He made the best drinks, told the best stories, and showed us all of the wildlife that would mosey on down the rock...great times watching the sun go down at his bar! Angel was one of our many servers and was great! He went out of his way to make sure things were satisfactory. Hilda, with VIP services was great! She really encouraged us to use our Spanish (it was filed away with geometry...hehe) and after a day or so I was doing well! She was very helpful. Ulvia, she is part of the maintenance crew but really stuck out to me. She was always cleaning and singing. She was very nice and always wearing a smile! Miguel, he was also a drink server...he was always so nice and made sure your drink was always full! Lastly was a man who did not work at Dreams however he was a beach vendor. His name was Rudy and he gave us a great deal on horseback riding...we went to Cabellos Del Mar and Mary Joe took us on a great journey through the jungle, a river, and out to the prettiest, most empty beach I have ever seen. There we galloped and played around...it was a dream come true for me! To sum it up, don't be afraid of what others perception of this place is...go opened minded and untainted by others experiences and you will have an amazing trip! We are currently planning a trip back in 2013! Loved it!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank jessneworleans

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (560)
Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

We went on a 2 week family vacation to the Dreams Huatulco In March of 2012 based off the advise of our long time travel agent. Two adults, 1 15 year old boy and 1 11 month old baby. We would have been better off going somewhere else. The ocean view was if we stuck our head off the side of the balcony, and our room was not large enough to hold the crib we requested, that I'm sure was from the 70's. The food was ok the first week, by week two we all got so sick we couldn't leave our room.
The beach was ok, and our son had fun with some of the other kids there.
Evening entertainment was very jr. at the best and couldnt stay to watch even one full evening
We got sucked into getting the professional photos done that they offered downstairs, thinking what a great idea for our first family vacation memories. We paid over $300 Canadian dollars to have someone send 1 hour taking photos of us, we were told our coffee table book along with the photos would arrive by mail to our house within 4 - 6 weeks, It is now October; 7 months later, with 3 international calls talking to people who barely speak english, and numerous emails to the resort and Adventure photography with still no photos, and not one single returned call or email we have all but given up.
I would not recommend this resort to anyone, Don't waste your money on this resort or Adventure Photography.

Room Tip: corner suites have the hot tubs in them, dont ask for a garden view , all you see is rocks and the r...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
9 Thank 54321traveller
Chicago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

Five of us stayed at the Dreams from June 15-22. Two adults, two 16 year old girls and father-in-law who is 84. We arrived on June 15 to a hurricane which was getting stronger by the minute. Dreams attempted to batten down the hatches. Dinner was served in an inside ballroom, and most of the facilities which has glass walls or exposed to the ocean were shut down.By the next day the storm had passed, but the sea was still very stirred up and the ocean was unfit for swimming for the next 4 days. It was great for buggy boarding. After 5 days you could finally see the bottom.

We assumed that dreams was a top of the line hotel. No so. Probably a little step down from most Iberostars we have stayed at. Service was not very attentive, and the food left something to be desired (particularly if you did not like fish.) Not once in 7 days did we see a fancy cake -- just tarts and cookies. Ice cream was available -- but you had to ask for it. The staff seemed lackadaisical. Not one of them stood out in any way. Call liquors were generally available and the chocolate martinis were excellent. The hotel is very compact, but yet there are many pleasant spots to sit and take in the view.

Water sports were not well run. They were often not available even when the neighboring hotel (Barcelo) was letting Catamarans and Kayaks out.

Apple representative did not mention options like a taxi $8 each way to a local secluded beach where there was excellent!! snorkeling and no waves!!!. There is a little cafe and a place to set up your spot on a nice beach.

This was very important since the day we arrived was also the day the hurricane Carlotta arrived and the sea was in turmoil for the rest of the week. We did not know of the short excursion to this quiet secluded beach ( Playa La Estrega) until the last days of our stay.

The entire area has a "small town" feel about it and is rarely crowded with tourists with the exception of the Christmas and Semana Santa holiday periods. There a period of the year when there are so many Jelly Fish (Nov - March, I think) that you do not want to swim in the ocean.

Most people seem to leave the windows of their cars open in the town and there is very little crime in evidence.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank roadcoach
Burnaby
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

The good:
- The resort itself is nice. Nice pool, nice beach, fun to explore.

The bad:
- Food is TERRIBLE. Like not just typical Mexico all inclusive terrible. I mean AWFUL. One night we tried to go for a nice dinner at the "Italian" restaurant. I ordered steak, medium well. The steak came out BLUE. Basically seared on the outside and smothered in mushroom sauce. I sent it back right away, but the server didn't seem to care, let alone apologize. The steak came back about 2 minutes later - cut in half lenghwise and the plate searing hot. They had popped it in the microwave and cooked it completely. We were so disgusted we got up and left all the food on the table. The buffet was avarage. We ended up eating there most of the time because all of the restaurants were terrible. I pretty much lived on Guacamole and tortilla chips during the day because of the lack of lunch options.

- I was no exception to the sickness that everyone else posts about here. I didn't get it that bad - but did spend one full day running to the bathroom every 20 minutes. One other in our group got it as well.

- The service was nothing special. I've had much better experiences at other resorts. Example - on our last night our group walked down the street to this little sports bar for a few drinks. After that we decided to go back to the resort. We arrived a ful 15 minutes before the bar was scheduled to close. However the 3 employees working there had already pretty much closed everything down. Understandable because there weren't too many people there. However, I'm used to being able to get service up until closing time. They flat out refused us. Pretty much told us to go back to our room. They lied to us and told us that it was passed closing time even though we were all well aware it was quarter to. We weren't ordering any complicated blended drinks or anything that would dirty a lot of glassware either. This is just a small example of how the staff was completely unwilling to provide good service. Or any at all.

All in all - would NEVER in a million years go back to this place. Save your money or go somewhere else.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank burnaby12
Ciudad de México, Distrito Federal, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2012

Throughout our stay at Hotel Dreams Huatulco enjoyed at all times of the excellent service and wonderful facilities of the hotel.
All staff achieve us to enjoy our family vacation.
I recommend visiting the hotel in off seasons.

Room Tip: Rooms with sea view are the best
11 Thank KarinaRosete
Orange County, CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012

It's been a week since my family returned from the Dreams resort. I won't go into detail on all of our negative experiences, it would take me to long. We're a hearty family with a 8 year old daughter. We love outdoors, and all types of physical activities. I was trying to pamper my wife & daughter with luxury, boy was I wrong trying to be a nice guy.

Here's a short summary of our experiences:

1) Beach Area- Very dangerous if you have small children, steep beach= waves break close to shore with strong rip currents. Saw life guards rescue/assist 3 adults back to shore.

2) A/C in room never got colder than 87 degrees, motel said that's the best it would produce. After spending all day in humid hot weather you want a nice room to sleep/relax in.

3) Bugs ate us alive in our room, had to sleep with covers due to room temp., after first night drenched ourselves with bug spray which helped a lot.

4) Maid service was hit an miss, usually the maid forgot to give us towels or toilet paper. Had to beg to have our bed sheets changed since they smelled like bug spray and we sweated while sleeping.

5) Food was mediocre at best, menus never changed. Hated eating at the buffets, we noticed on several occasions kids reaching into serving dishes & trays with their hands to snag a quick treat. I guess different cultures teach their kids these manners, parents would watch while the kids feasted in line... disgusting.

6) Guests who hog the pool chairs, Dreams needs to implement some type of policy concerning pool chairs saving since seating is limited. If you didn't place your towels and items on chairs by 7:00 AM you were screwed. Many chairs were empty but protected by a family member who said they were occupied. After many hours, seats still remained unoccupied while guests who need chairs were left sitting on the concrete.

7) Wife became ill last two days of vacation (bed ridden), got back to California and she went to doctor. Test showed she was infected with the "Ecoli Virus", very scary.

I will say the service was decent & the drinks were tasty. Would I ever go back? never, I'll leave the "All inclusive" resorts to others that enjoy that type of atmosphere. This facility didn't meet the expectations that we believed an all inclusive resort should deliver. We couldn't wait to get out of the resort area every day and go exploring.

We met three other couples that were from the United States during our 9 day stay. They all had complaints (more than us) with the resort as well. So before you toss down $$$$ for an all inclusive resort, be positive that's what you want.

17 Thank prosailortim
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2012

Our trip to the Dreams Huatulco started off with much excitement and anticipation. We planned this vacation as a family vacation with our 3 year old daughter and booked through Apple Vacations which is owned by Amstar who also owns the Dreams, Secrets, NOW and Zoetry resort chains (this will become an important point later in the review). We previously stayed twice at the Secrets Capri resort in Riviera Maya Mexico (see my reviews on this property). Our expectation was that the Dreams would offer a very similar experience to Secrets with the difference being Dreams allows children and supposedly they have activities for them to give mom and dad a little alone time. All I can say is this resort is not what we expected in the slightest.
The journey started off just fine with our flight on Frontier Airlines from Chicago to Huatulco chartered through Apple Vacations actually arriving early. The Huatulco airport is a tiny little place with a series of palapas serving as the terminals and customs. Customs went pretty quick and was uneventful. We were then greeted by a series of Apple representatives who quickly guided us to our bus to the Dreams resort. The journey from the airport to the resort was interesting. The beautiful scenery was mixed with much road construction. Most of the 30 min. ride from the airport to the resort was on dirt roads under construction, but we arrived just fine. We were greeted with fresh frozen drinks and cervesas. We were promptly checked it and reunited with the one saving grace of this whole nightmare, Fernando (the concierge), which we met on the previous trip to the Secrets Capri in Riviera Maya. After check-in is when the nightmare began. If you don’t want to read my whole review I will just tell you this. I will never go back to this horrible place, never travel with Apple Vacations or return to Mexico again. This resort along with every other Dreams resort is rated a 6 golden apple by Apple Vacations and their tag line is “Unlimited Luxury”. I will tell you that this Dreams resort is not rated even close to what it actually is and does not offer anything close to “Unlimited Luxury”. The Dreams Huatulco is more like a 4+ apple. We have stayed in Mexican All-Inclusives 6 times now and this is by far the worst one we have been to. The resorts rated 5 Apple we stayed at previously were much better than this Dreams.
Below I will be as honest as I can about the positives and negatives of this resort (mostly negatives).

Let’s start on the bright side because this was a vacation after all.

1.Fernando. Like I mentioned earlier he is the concierge at this resort and we had previously met him at the Secrets Capri in Riviera Maya Mexico. He was amazing and really the only staff member that really understood and spoke English very well. He was very sympathetic and helpful during our nightmare, but there is only so much he could do.
2. Fermi. He was our waiter at the El Patio Mexican Restaurant one night. He provided us with the best service out of anyone other than Fernando. He really understood what service meant and went out of his way to prepare a Mexican Coffee for my wife and me. The preparation of this coffee drink is something to behold with a mix of flaming Brandy, coffee liquor, coffee and whipped cream. It is a must if you visit Mexico.
3. Excellent Margaritas. You would expect this in Mexico of course, but there were so few good points of this resort I had to mention this.

Now let’s move on to the negatives which made this the nightmare that it was.

Check-In

After checking in we were just kind of left there to find our own way to our room and figure out if it was ready or not. The Bell Staff actually asked us if our room was ready or not. We wandered around for a little bit, then asked a random staff member where our room was located. We found our room without too much trouble and found that it was cleaned and ready to go. I went back to the lobby to flag down the bell staff to let them know our room was ready and they promptly brought out bags to the room.

Room

Immediately upon looking around our room we noticed that it looked nothing like was advertised and pictured on Apple Vacations website. Well the paint colors and décor looked pretty much the same, but everything look dated, old and dingy. There were stains, chips and cracks on the tile floors and shower walls. There were cracks on the walls and ceiling. Paint was peeling on the walls and ceiling, especially in the bathroom. There was mold all over the shower glass and floor. The towel rack in the shower was very loose and practically hanging on by one screw. The chairs in the room had stains all over them; even the clock had stains on it (not sure how that happens). The rugs they put next to the bed were extremely dirty and stained. Our headboard had a large tear in it. One night after coming back from the pool we found hundreds of tiny little bugs all over the bathroom countertop. We called the front desk and they sent up maintenance which then sprayed pesticides all over the bathroom counter and left, sounds like a health violation to me. We were especially concerned because we had a 3 year old in the room and may have a tendency to put things in her mount. After that we had to keep all of our toiletries on a counter outside of the bathroom. The walls and doors are paper thin so you can literally hear everything in the room next to you and in the hallway. When I say paper thin I mean you can hear ENTIRE conversations spoken at a normal tone. Absolutely NO privacy!! One night we were kept up for hours by a guest next door playing a dice game. All you could hear was the dice shaking in a cup over and over again. Forget trying to have your children or yourself take a nap in peace during the day. There is always something going on in the hallway or outside that will keep you up. It is just too loud to sleep most of the time.

Housekeeping

Housekeeping was terrible and very inconsistent. Upon entering our room for the first time we found clumps of hair left by the previous guests (see pictures). Even during our stay we would find tons of hair left on the floor immediately after they “cleaned” our room. Cleaned is in quotes because the rooms never really felt or looked clean. Many times they failed to replenish toilet paper and towels. One time they made the effort to fold the end of a nearly empty toilet paper roll and did not leave a new roll so we had to hunt down a roll for ourselves. They also did not leave us with any hand towels. When they made the bed many times the sheets were not large enough to cover the whole mattress so either the sides or end of the mattress pad was left exposed. The towels they left were past their useful life with frayed edges, they were basically falling apart. Turndown service consisted of them readjusting the bedding. Several times they left dirty dishes and towels in the room.

Public Areas

The public areas of the resort were not at all luxurious and were really disgusting. The floors were always dirty and there were cracked/loose tiles all over the place. There was always food, towels and bottles left in the hallways for the better part of the day in most cases. In one instance there was a glob that looked to be strawberry syrup left on the floor in the hallway for 2 days before it was cleaned up. We were told that this was a smoke free resort and it even says it in the hotel documents, what a joke. The sand in the ashtrays throughout the resort were never cleaned and looked really gross. People ashed out cigarettes everywhere, smoked in the rooms and even smoked right next to you by the pool. It was DISGUSTING. The lights in the hallways were left off during the day which left the interior hallways very dark and dungeon like.

Pools

There are six pools which would seem like a lot, but they are all really small without much seating area around them. Two of the pools are off the either side of the resort without any view of the ocean or breeze because they are walled off. The upkeep and condition of the pools were very poor. The water was always foggy; there was tons of sand in the pools that was never cleaned out. For the most part the pools need a complete overhaul. There were many missing tiles and there was mold all over the walls of the pools. The floors and walls always had a slimy film on them. Really not a place you want to spend much time, but with nothing else for a three year old child to do you are forced to fester in them all day. With the limited seating around the pools you are forced to save a spot early in the morning or else there will be no where to sit. Many times chairs were lined up three rows deep all on top of each other near the covered areas already saved by 9am. There are no pool toys or rafts for the kids, there only three pool rafts and they could only be used in the adult pool. Those rafts were in terrible condition with tears, holes and mold all over them. I wouldn’t have laid in them if you paid me.

Activities for Children

There was NOTHING in the way of kids activities other than enrolling them in the kids Club. In my eyes it’s just a crappy daycare that I would never trust with my kid with. We expected there to be many activities for the children since this is billed as a family resort. No sand toys, no balls, no pool games, etc for the children. My wife and I were looking forward to some alone time during our vacation and our daughter was excited to meet new friends and spend time with children her age so we expected to take advantage of the Explorer Kids Club. The area they were confined to for most of the day was very small and looked very limited with what it offered. Also during this time of year 95% of the guests are local Mexican tourists (more on this later) so our daughter could not interact/communicate with any of the other children because none of them spoke English. Also ALL of the activities and movies were in Spanish. Needless to say we did not feel comfortable using the kids club. We also talked to one of the few English speaking guests that had a younger child and they felt the same way.

Food (if you can call it that)

The food was Terrible!!! From our previous trip to Riviera Maya staying at the Secrets Capri we were blown away by how good the food was and how all of the meals were served ala carte except breakfast which was a buffet. Previously they also served you poolside for lunch which was an awesome luxury. We expected the same quality and options at the Dreams given they had the same restaurant names and they were both rated 6 golden apple by Apple Vacations. That was one of the main reasons we chose Dreams over other options. Boy, were we wrong and sorely disappointed. I prefer to eat ala carte and do not like buffets much as all. At the Dreams they offer NO let me repeat that NO ala carte dining options for breakfast or lunch. We asked Fernando the concierge about this since even the materials in the room and online mention ala carte dining options for lunch and he even thought there was at least one restaurant that served ala carte for lunch. Even the menus at the ala carte dinner restaurants were very limited. At the Secrets Capri the menus were as well rounded as any restaurant you would dine at in the states, but at the Dreams the menus at all of the restaurants for dinner consisted of only and handful of options supplemented by guess what more buffets. The only really good food items were the French fries, pizza, some of the pastas, ice cream and macaroni and cheese. We were almost forced to eat like children our entire stay. The buffets were not kept up very well either with flies and bugs on the food. The table cloths in the restaurants were disgusting; they always had some stain or food on them when we sat down for our meal. Then to top it all off my wife got a severe stomach bug on the fifth night from the food. She had diarrhea and was vomiting for the next two days and was stuck in the hotel room. We spoke to several other American families and all of them had at least one family member get sick from the food, some even got a fever and chills along with vomiting and diarrhea. One of the Americans we spoke to referred to the dining options like herds of animals eating from feed troughs.

Service, what service? I don’t think they understand what is meant by service. No one really seems to care if you are happy or not. Most of the time you get what you ask for, but there is no real desire to serve or care if your needs are met. It sometimes took 45 mins to an hour to get your drink order by the pool. Many times we felt it was just easier to get our own drinks by the pool or even during dinner for that fact. One morning during breakfast my wife asked for a bottle of water and the waitress came back with a glass of water. My wife asked again for a bottle and she said they did not have any. So I got up went out the door to a bar and got her a bottle in less than 30 seconds. That goes to show you what they think service is here. Don’t expect 5 star service here or even 3 star service for that matter. During our meals we always had to flag someone down to get a refill on our beverages, they never asked if we wanted anything more to drink.

Travel Season

If you speak English and want to interact with anyone in your own language on vacation DO NOT travel here during the summer months. This is the Mexican vacation season and this is one of the most popular spots for them to travel to. 95% of the guests during our week here were local Mexican tourists that did not speak English. The local Mexican tourists do not have the same standards when it comes to vacationing and it made for an uncomfortable experience.

Beach

The beach was really an afterthought. If your vacation plan is to lounge on the beach and swim in the ocean this is not the place for you. The red flag warning was up for most of the week with the other two days being Black flags. So the beach was completely un-swimmable our entire stay. At many times the surf was so high that the waves would wash out the entire beach area and crash into the wall around the pool. They even put up sandbags around the top of the Adult pool to keep out the waves. This is not the resorts fault, but it is important to know just the same.

Beach Vendors

I read about the numerous beach vendors in previous reviews so I expected them. What I did not expect was how annoying and numerous they were. Since the three main pools directly front beach the vendors even bother you in the pool. All day long they walk by the pool wall and try to sell you, excursions, silver, hair braiding services, tattoos, sunglasses and various other trinkets. It was nonstop and they were relentless. I felt like all I said everyday all day long was “No Thank You”. Many of them would flag down guests on the other side of the pool to peddle their services or goods.

Entertainment

There was really no entertainment to speak of. There were two nights where we kept up to 11pm because of loud music being played once by a neighboring resort and once by the Dreams during “Tropical Night”. What a joke “Tropical Night” music was. It was basically a Mexican DJ screaming who knows what into a very bad microphone connected to a really loud speaker. You would not expect entertainment to last until 11pm at a “family” oriented resort. By this time I was so sick of hearing the Spanish language I wanted to scream out of my balcony to shut up, we are trying to sleep!!!

Apple Vacations and Amstar

After being here for a day we knew this vacation was not going to be what we expected. We went through every avenue possible to try to switch resorts or get an earlier flight out of Huatulco back to Chicago or to anywhere else in Mexico. Apple Vacations told us to go to our Apple Rep. at the resort. We did that and asked if he could check into any earlier flights out of here. He then proceeded to straight out lie to us. He said he checked all airlines and all of the flights out of Huatulco were booked for a month. We then consulted the internet and found several flight options available if we wanted to pay for them. I would recommend that you not use Apple Vacations due to the lack of service provided before during and after your trip.

It seems to me that Amstar’s strategy for their Dreams chain is to buy distressed properties in Mexico and the Caribbean and just update them enough so they appear different and then Apple Vacations blindly slaps a 6 golden apple rating on them to give unsuspecting travelers the idea that they will be staying at a 5 star family friendly property and charge them premium prices for it. Don’t fall for their tricks. There is just no comparison between the Secrets Capri and the Dreams Huatulco which are both Amstar properties in Mexico and rated 6 golden apple by Amstar owned Apple Vacations. In our opinion Dreams Huatulco should be a 4+ apple resort. We have stayed at two other 5 apple rated Mexican resorts and the Dreams is not even on par with those. We spoke to several other American families that booked through Apple Vacations and stayed at the Dreams during the same week we traveled and they shared the same opinion of the resort as we did. No one we spoke to was very happy with their experience and one of them was a travel agent that said she would never send one of her clients to the Dreams Huatulco!

Hopefully this has given you a clear picture of what the Dreams Huatulco is like and I save you from the same mistake we made travelling here and wasting our hard earned money. I have also attached pictures to this review so you can see firsthand some of the points I made in the review.

30 Thank jdog99