“Best All Inclusive”

GreenLeadersGold level
Langley City, Canada
“Best All Inclusive”
Reviewed May 10, 2014

The wife and I stayed at the Barcelo in Huatulco for the last week of April 2014. We have nothing bad or negative to report. The food at the 2 buffet resturaunts were well above average with plenty to choose from and the 4 a la cartes had plenty of options on the menus. The staff were courteous and friendly and the hotel grounds were kept extremely clean. There are vendors on the beach but by saying no only once keeps them away. There are no time share salemen to be found anywhere. All in all we had a great time and are planning on returning in Novemeber.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kameraman59
Barcelo Huatulc... B, Public Relations Manager at Barcelo Huatulco, responded to this review, May 14, 2014
Dear Kameraman:

Thank you very much for your good comments, it is very motivating for our team to know that their work has been done properly and has been accomplished the mission to satisfy your expectations, we would like to thank the time you have invested in writing your review, be certain that they will be very useful for us and for future travelers to this destination.

We hope to see you back soon.

Barceló Huatulco Beach

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (550)
  • Korean first
Lethbridge, Canada
Reviewed May 9, 2014 via mobile

I'm going to keep this helpful, and try to keep my personal feelings out of it. Travel from Apr. 29- May 6.
Arrival... Check in was aweful. They didn't have a computer system for our large group (and many others). It was stressful and irritating. I didn't not get my choice of room (3rd floor or higher) and bc of the lack of technology at our check in it wasn't worth complaining. I asked a couple questions and confused the girl so bad I just left it alone. My sister booked two adjoining rooms and did not get them (she has 4 kids and 2 adults). She did just exchange rooms between our family members, but this would have been more difficult had we not been with a large group. After a gruelling check in, the door men were fabulous and whisked our luggage up to our room in no time at all! BEACHES were disappointing the first 2 days. The waves were so high they took out adults. However, after speaking with other resort people, they told me the waves were unusually high and that the beaches are in fact lovely. After the 3 rd day, they were right. My 11 year old had the time of her life, my small 8 year old and 5 year old were slightly more intimidated. They just stayed on the shoreline. I LOVED IT! I could live in the ocean! POOLS.... I didn't spend more than 5 minutes in the adult pool. It was warm. Like bath water, not sure if that's normal, but I swam with my kids in the kids pool and it was refreshing. My kids loved the water slides! a+++++! It was nice to be able to let them just play so I could relax. BARS... Great! Fast friendly service. There were times things were slower, but I mean it's a lot of people, and we probably needed the break! Lobby Bar... Amazing! Lou (what he told me His name was) was friendly, remembered me (by my drink lol) and was efficient especially with my kids! If you have kids... Try a pink panther :). LOCATION I liked the coffee shop across the street. A 2 minute walk from the lobby. Great drinks and free Wifi. We went into the towns 3 times. We found the cab rides quick, cheap and friendly. I felt safe the whole time. I like that I didn't have to barter! CLEANLINESS I am amazed at how quick and efficient they are! ROOMS... I was in 216. I would recommend NOT being in this area if you are a light sleeper. A couple nights I could hear the music from the bar and it kept me awake for a bit. Now it wasn't really loud, but if your a light sleeper, it may irritate you. I did have a leak in my bathroom roof, one call to front desk had it fixed within the hour! FOOD... No complaints here. There was always something to eat! My kids too! And they even have KETCHUP! I ate at the Mexican restaurant. Amazing... I just ordered too much, next time I will eat less :) I had a fabulous time, I liked the small resort bc I could find anyone from my group fairly easily. EXCURSIONS we only did the bay tour. It was great. The beach they took us to was so amazing I wanted to stay all day! The people who went snorkelling had a blast. The waves got a bit too rough so we we're taken to the second drop off and picked up by bus. The only tip I can give for
That place is it's 5 pesos to use the bathroom! So take some change. I would highly recommend having pesos for your trip. Except for excursions. That's USD! I would recommend this place and hotel to any new traveller! It was great! And you feel safe!

Stayed April 2014
2 Thank Keirma
Dear Keirma:

I regret very much the confusion of the rooms at your check in and that your requests have not been met according to your requirements, sometimes the occupation or the lack of previous notes in the reserve does not allow us to comply with them.

Unfortunately the high tide affected us during 3 days in some parts of the hotel and it obviously limited the traffic of guests in the areas of beach or that we could allow the access to the sea, we actually do this as a safety precaution, looking first and foremost for our guests to feel safe and protected.

We appreciate the good comments about our staff, which we will share with them with a greeting on your part, it is very important that our guests feel comfortable and secure, we look forward to once again welcome you and serve you as you deserve next year.

Queretaro, Mexico
Reviewed May 1, 2014

Our group of 6 traveled from Edmonton to Huatulco on Sunwing Apr 22 - 29 with no difficulties.As requested, our rooms were grouped together near a quiet area. The Barcelo staff was very friendly and professional. I was very impressed with the cleanliness and upkeep of every inch of the resort.
There were several days of high surf during our stay resulting in sand washing over the sea wall. The resort staff worked tirelessly to remove all of the sand, a far heavier job than shoveling snow.
Although the resort was fully booked during our stay since it was a Mexican school holiday we did not experience any overcrowding or shortage of food or drink.
There is plenty of shady areas for those of us with sun sensitive skin. The sea breeze is best enjoyed under the palapas close to the beach wall.
The only drawback I found with the Barcelo is that for me its too far away from Santa Cruz, La Entrega and La Crucecita. I like to get out and explore so it gets expensive taking taxis. This resort is well suited to those who prefer to stay on the resort property.
I will stay closer to Santa Cruz on my next trip to Huatulco.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jultime61
Barcelo Huatulc... B, Public Relations Manager at Barcelo Huatulco, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
Dear Jultime:

Thank you very much for your comments, Huatulco is undoubtedly an exceptional place for spent a holiday like no other, thank you for your understanding during the contingency we had during the days of high tide in which as well you mentioned our staff worked very hard every day so that our guests would have the areas available most of the time, fortunately this is not common and this year not only to affected Huatulco but most of the Mexican Pacific.

Regarding the distance from La Crucecita, actually we are just 7 minutes from this place; we will see the possibility of talking with taxi drivers and trying to install a shuttle that could be slightly more economical service.

Greetings from all the staff of Barceló Huatulco Beach
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed April 30, 2014

Traveled from April 22-29 2014.
Great Quiet Resort, with decent food and drinks.
Great Customer Service and Staff. Everyone was very helpful and friendly.
Beach was great, but had to be closed half way through our trip due to a high tide, which was a sight to see itself. Maybe avoid going at this time as it is super humid and the temps reach the high 30's. Also alot of locals stay there during their "holy week". Other than that, it is all Canadians. No flights from the USA go to Huatulco, so there's a Big Plus.
Stayed in the Superior room with a great view of the pool. No need to Upgrade as there's not much extra you would get, unless your too fancy for your own good and only want to drink High End Alcohol. Mini fridge in the room was stocked daily with 2 Corona, 2 Coke's, 1 Diet Coke, 2 Bottles of water and 2 bags of nuts. We just gave the mini fridge guy a couple of Peso's and he made sure he just stocked us with water and beer, as pop won't do you any good, unless you like being dehydrated.
Front Desk and Concierge are great. They will exchange CDN and USD for Peso's at the same rate, so don't worry about bring USD because you will just be losing money.
The Beach vendors are very friendly, but only take Peso's and some take USD, not much take CDN.
Evening Entertainment was amazing. They had a show every night, with the great performers. A different theme every night for the shows.
I traveled with Signature/Sunwing, James, our Sunwing Rep on the resort, who is also Canadian, was awesome, and was there for anything we needed. Go to him if you want to do anything in that town. If you decide to go, bring some Canadian Newspapers for him as he will love you forever.
Overall, good vacation, will visit again!!!

Room Tip: Rooms on the odd Number side are good. No need to upgrade, as you don't get much extra for the a...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank mchetty
Dear Mchetty:

Thank you very much for your visit to this beautiful destination and of course Barceló Huatulco Beach, we're delighted to hear that I enjoy your vacation and the time that you spent with us.

Thank you for your good comments about our services and performances, this motivates us to continue working hard everyday to offer more attractive options and higher quality for our customers.

Receive a warm greeting from Huatulco Bays

St. Catharines, Canada
Reviewed April 28, 2014

We travelled to Barceló, from April 15-22, had a fabulous holiday. We flew from Toronto on Sunwing and as usual no problems, good flight, got our bags and through Huatulco airport in no time....on the bus and away we went, 25 minutes and we were at the Barceló...check in was easy and we had our room and unpacked and at Coco Loco bar drinking mojitos. We were in room 303 had a beautiful pool and ocean view, there are elevators which was good for me as I had a knee replacement in January, which kept me off the beach..its very slanted for walking and the waves were ruff at times.....if you are a beach lover of blue water and white sand, this isn't it...but my husband still walked the beach every day and the scenery was beautiful...its very hot there around 97 everyday, the adult pool was very warm but guess its hard to keep cool with the temps this high...activity pool and kiddie pool was cooler.they play the towel game, but it is monitored at times we never had a problem getting a chair..activities going on daily around pool, would have been nice to hear some Caribbean music though,alot of repeat music.and very loud at times...Our room was very clean, the bed was great comfy and lots of pillows, I slept like a baby every nite. lots of closet space to and dressers.....our fridge had beer, pop and water restocked everyday...the maids did however not clean our rooms a couple days until 4 and 5 and we were back to our room, the last nite we were there it didn't get done at all...not a big deal for us...we are pretty easy going people and had a great time...the food was awesome I gained 5 lbs....the drinks were good...had absolute, Smirnoff and SKY vodka, Miami vice were good as were vodka colodas....mojitos were my drink of choice and yes cervasa to. We went to Spanish ala carte and Mexican, both were really good, Spanish though watch out all their soups r cold.....Mexican was our favourite...steak and seafood was a bit disappointing, they rushed us and I wanted seafood and steak, but only could have one......but I cant complain about the food at all....there are bath mats in the bathroom, they have faceclothes and also have soaps and shampoos....we had a great time and would go back but not the end of april as with easter and the last 2 weeks of april is school break so there were lots of Mexicans at the resort, some were pushy at the bars and the buffets but I just did the same...I am a paying guest to...they r understaffed at most of the bars which I think would help with more people to serve you....I would go back to barcelo, and would also like to try Secrets, our first trip to Mexico was a success and we had never heard of Huatulco before, its a hidden gem....and we also met some very nice people....and a very good waiter by the name of Anthony....thanks for the guacamole......which is fantastic.....we only went to one evening show, and it was very good, also a great little band that plays in the lobby in the evening....and they also have a little snack bar in the lobby to.....

Room Tip: We were in room 303, great view....no complaints and no noise either....
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank debbieandbill
Barcelo Huatulc... B, Public Relations Manager at Barcelo Huatulco, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
Dear Debbie and Bill:

Receive a warm greeting from Huatulco we appreciate your comments and the time you have taken to write them, they are very important to us, it is good that you have enjoyed this first visit to Mexico and it is a pleasure that you have chosen this destination, you are right Huatulco is a hidden gem where the holidays can be an adventure.

We are working every day at the point of rooms cleaning to enhance the timing of delivery of the rooms; it is noteworthy that our cleaning schedule covers from 08:00 to 17:00 hrs. However through the front desk you can set a fixed schedule of cleaning.

We are creating new dishes that allow combinations but if you want you can order two different options.

We hope to see you soon in this your home and allow us to serving you again as you deserve.

Leduc, Canada
Reviewed April 24, 2014

We stayed April 15-22, We went on a private tour with Tony Lopez Lopez it was great and I would recommend him to anyone, you can find him working the beach to take the boat tour. I took his card to security and they assured me he was ok to go with. We saw dolphins, sea turtles, and his helper caught a blowfish while snorkeling

When we arrived we paid the Premium Upgrade boy was that a mistake DON'T DO IT!! What you get for the premium upgrade is nothing, they had 1 bottle of premium alcohol we wanted and bartender's had to run around from bar to bar and after 15 minutes waiting for our drinks they would come back with a little bit of Amaretto in a glass enough for 2 drinks, so when we wanted another drink same thing or just told NO there wasn't any. Also with the premium upgrade you get your room cleaned at 6:00 pm at night - we went back to shower and get to our dinner reservation and the maid was just starting to clean our room, this happened 2 nights in a row and yes we tipped the maid , and they 3rd night we just didn't let them clean at all. Also ordered room service one night (another premium service) and after an hour I called and asked where my daughter's hotdog was and they said because it was after 11:00 pm we could have only a sandwich or quesadilla. WHAT I was furious. I ordered at 10:00

We went to some A La Carte's none were great and service was extremely poor, the Seafood/Steak house rushed us and I couldn't even get a cup of coffee again extra A Lacartes are part of the Premium upgrade, the upgrade is brutal and expensive don't bother. There were complaints of the service from a lot of people around the resort. The service at the Lobby bar was fantastic though. The room on the first floor was full of bugs we got moved the next day to a room on a higher floor, it was fine. Food in the buffets was pretty good, service was hit and miss. The pools well the adult pool was too warm it wasn't refreshing, other pool was refreshing however always so full and loud. No pool service for drinks, plan on getting your own drinks all day long.

We went to 1 evening show and found it enjoyable, enjoyed the band at the lobby bar. The weather in Huatulco is fabulous I found the resort to be clean, it is older but rooms are clean (if the maid gets to them) My husband went to the on site doctor, the charge was $305 for visit and medications, if you use your visa the hotel charges you a $100 dollar surcharge for using the visa and yes it was 1000 pesos, we paid cash. Gauging!!

I will return to Huatulco, but never will I step foot in a Barceló resort again. Stay away from this resort, travelled with family daughter 12 and son 14

Room Tip: If you decide to stay at this resort - get a room higher floors
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank Tracey M
Barcelo Huatulc... B, Public Relations Manager at Barcelo Huatulco, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Dear Tracey M:

We regret these drawbacks we assure you that our intention is to make from your holidays an ideal time, we apreciate the time you have taken to do it of our knowledge. I can tell you that we have made several improvements in relation to our premium services:

- The cleaning of the premium rooms ends at 13:00 hrs.
- All the bars have enough stock of drinks and we also have included an additional waiter to the existent staff for exclusive service to premium guests in the pool areas and beach.
- We have strengthened the template to have room service staff responsable of the control the services and compliance with the stipulated time of the service.
- It has been conditioned an additional bar for the pool areas service but mainly the adults pool.
- We will start a remodeling project Room from June starting with the rooms located on the first floor.

The medical service is external to the hotel and unfortunately we do not have any interference in the price of the consultation, but I can assure you is that our hotel does not make a charge 100 USD for the use of the card, what is charged is 10% plus taxes.

I hope one day you allow us the opportunity to serve you again and delete the bad image of us, our destination need regulars guests to visit it every year to make it better every day.

We appreciate your feedback which we take very seriously and we give great importance, we learn from them and we improve with them.

Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed April 23, 2014

Actually stayed here back in 2010, for a Weeks getta way! Our Booked room ended up being quite filthy and full of Ants, so we complained at the Front Desk. They had NO rooms left, so the Manager put my Wife and I up in a Large Corner Room, overlooking the Pool, Bar Hut and Ocean. It had a HUGE "L" shaped balcony which gave us Sun all day Long. Got to watch the Sunrise (if we wanted to) and the Sunsets over the Ocean. Xcellant Resort that we recommended to other Friends that have now been there,,, All Of Us LOVE IT ! Lots of daily activities around Pool and Beach Front,,, Most including "Tequila". Score a Point,, Have a Shot! Lose a Point,,, Havva Shot ! Guaranteed Heat and Sunshine in Huatulco,,, any time. Food was Great in all the A la Carte Restaurants,, and you don't wanna miss the "Live Lounge Entertainment" ! Super Bowl is also a Happening Time to Party with the Local's and Tourists. Great Location too,,, with lots of Bars and Restaurants out in the Neighborhood,, all with in Walking Distance. The "Tipsy Blowfish" is the Favorite,,, Definitely Check that one OUT ! Careful,,, more TEQUILA!
The Beach is Fabulous,, even for Body Surfing ! The Bay Beach is only One Kilometer long,,, with Lotsa fish for Snorkeling at one end, and a Marina Pier at the other. ENJOY !

Room Tip: Corner Suites are the Best,, facing the Ocean. Check out the "Tipsy Blowfish" ,,, a corne...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CanCruisers2014
Dear CanCruisers:

We appreciate your comments and your time to write them, it would be very good for us that you come to visit us and give us the opportunity to serve you again, we have made some changes which we believe will be of your liking, we also have worked in the staff attitude, the service and the way of treating the customer. Some bars in the area have also changed, but remains an excellent choice for travel and vacation.

Kind Regards,