“Great value for the price but had some minor issues.” 4 of 5 bubbles

Barcelo Huatulco
Ranked #6 of 49 Hotels in Huatulco
GreenLeadersGold level
Brandon, Canada
“Great value for the price but had some minor issues.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2014

We booked a last minute vacation here for our MB spring break. We booked with Sunwing and was I ever impressed with them. We left our departure city early as everyone had checked in and we arrived at our destination city one hour early! I have never had that happen EVER! Sunwing provided the best service I have ever had on an all-inclusive vacation. They provided champagne, free wine, a delicious meal, warm towels, free pop/juice/coffee and entertainment on their fold down TVs. I couldn't have asked for more there. (5 stars for sunwing...will definitely book with them again!) Customs and immigration at the airport in Huatulco was a breeze...quick and painless. The buses were waiting for us and we barely had time to grab a bathroom break and a cervesa and we were off to the resort. (a mere 30 min bus ride) The check in process again was very easy...instead of waiting in long lines at the front desk, the hotel set up tables in another area where everything was pre-assigned and ready for you. A cold non-alcoholic beverage (orange and mango, I think) was waiting for us when we arrived.

We signed up and went to our rooms...what a surprise! I read that they were quite dated and you should ask for a higher floor...well, our rooms were perfect...second floor overlooking the pools and an ocean view. One quick flight of stairs and the beach chairs are right there...turn left and there is the pool. Small resorts are beneficial this way. The verandas were lovely with an area to hang dry swim clothes, a table and two chairs. The rooms were not big or modern but they were more than sufficient for us...and VERY clean!! Please leave a tip on your pillow daily as they really appreciate it! The mini bar was suffiently stocked daily with whatever I asked for in my poorly translated to Spanish note and a 50 peso tip.

I approached the front desk about upgrading to premium on the first evening we were there. I did not wish to upgrade my room because I was more than happy with it. I wanted to have access to the premium lounge, premium beverages and free room service. I was not happy with my front desk clerk Eric...he cannot be trusted. I did not feel it was fair to charge $45 per night when I am the only adult in my room. It seemed only reasonable to charge me $30 per night for the upgrade. After telling him what my budget was and asking if I could possibly have it for that price, begrudgingly, he agreed. Ultimately when I got my Mastercard bill, he charged me $30 more than he said he would! Check your statement BEFORE you give him a cash tip! My own stupidity...I own it! I should have checked the conversion factor before agreeing! I am glad that I upgraded though...the kids enjoyed the games room and we did use the room service. Javier in the Premium lounge was always eager to please. My critisism here is that I paid for this service per person yet one night when I was sick in my room the kids were asked to leave the premium lounge because an adult was not with them! I was not happy because I paid for them to use it fair and square! They were simply sitting in the lounge playing cards with some friends. My friend who was not premium asked if she could stay with them in my place since I was sick but they said no. Not the end of the world but they should re-think charging premium prices for the kids if this is their policy.

The food at the Barcelo was good...some days much better than others. We did not do the a la cartes because we had the kids to think about. We decided to eat in La Crucecita on the 6th night because the food was starting to get repetitive. The drinks were just okay...they are a bit understaffed so they do not mix their blended drinks enough. There were always big chunks of ice in my pina coladas. Also, they use the mixes instead of the genuine ingredients which is not as good.

The activities that the resort offers are quite sufficient. They have 3 tennis courts which we utilized regularly and had a ball! tee hee. They had catamarans, kayaks, boogie boards, ping pong, pool sports, beach volleyball...more than enough to keep everyone occupied.

One last little diddy...I would recommend taking Dukoral before visiting this resort. Myself and about every other person I talked to had a similar stomach issue the week of our stay. I have been to Mexican all inclusive resorts 10 times and I have never had this happen. Lesson learned! Never go without preparing for this EVER again.

We booked last minute so we got a really good deal! If I had paid full price I would not have been as pleased with the Barcelo. If I were to book in advance, I would pay the extra few hundred bucks and book with the Dreams next door. If the same deal came up for this place again and the timing was right, I would probably return. The weather in Huatulco is spectacular and if you like it hot, you must visit here! It is very safe and the staff are very good. Overall we did enjoy ourselves and we met a lot of really nice people.

Room Tip: Odd numbered rooms from 217 to 227 are in a great location and have a nice view!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Postiegirl05
Barcelo Huatulc... B, Public Relations Manager at Barcelo Huatulco, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Dear Postiegirl

We appreciate your comments and your visit to our hotel, we regret that not everything went as you expected but we assure you that we are a hotel that works for its customers.

Our hotel as well as the majority of Barceló hotels is enrolled in hygiene and food control programs, in addition we comply with all current regulations and we have two certifications, a national known as H Distinctive and another named Crystal provided by Check Safety First International Company which includes in addition to the control in the food, swimming pools, water, delivery of goods, staff, temperatures control, rooms, etc.

The access of children in the Premium Lounge is allowed until 21:00 hrs. without restrictions, to do so and to avoid confusion we have placed a bracelet to distinguish them, only the pool is left for the exclusive use of adults; I am sorry if this situation was not clarified at the time by our staff.

Thank you again for your preference and we invite you to visit us again we would be glad to have you in this your home and serve you as you deserve.

Barceló Huatulco Beach

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (534)
  • Korean first
Virden, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2014

This was a family vacation with my husband and I and our 10 & 8 year old. We flew with Sunwing and didn't have a complaint. The staff of both Sunwing and Barceló were fantastic. The hotel is clean and if you need anything you simply ask for it and it will be done. The weather is beautiful and the food was fantastic. I would certainly go back.

Room Tip: We were on the 3rd floor with an ocean view and it was great. Room was at good temperature and the...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Hunter4444
Barcelo Huatulc... B, Public Relations Manager at Barcelo Huatulco, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Dear Hunter

We appreciate the comments you share with us and other travelers like you. It is always rewarding to know that our guests spent a wonderful time with us during their holidays as you and your family did.

We are looking forward to your visit next year.

Kind regards

Regina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2014

This Mexican 5 star is a really nice hotel. Not to big but lots of services. the a la carte dinning is very good. We particularly like the Spanish "Don Quixote" Itzel the hostess is so sweet, the food was excellent both times we went. Good variety and just right size portions.
The adult pool has a swim up bar but the water is so warm it isn't that refreshing. Bar service is ok but they are on Mexican time so don't be in a big hurry.
the beach is clean but the waves are a bit high, You can swim in ocean but beware of undertow. Snorkeling can be done near the small island out front on the shelter side or down the way in front of Dreams hotel.
The buffet are good with lots of choices for entrees. The staff are rushed and not nearly enough of them, but they do a good job.
We would like to visit with staff and felt that because of the short supply and language barrier this was just not possible.
This hotel has a problem with its AC... We could not get our room below 23.5 C . Maintenance said that was as low it would go. We hear others complaining as well but some people said their rooms were down in the 20 range.
Elevators work well as do the many stairs.
We enjoyed our stay but I feel that I need to say that:
1. Very understaffed on front lines, waitresses and bar staff.
2. Bar tenders poorly trained or not at all, also understaffed.
3. There is a language problem at this hotel. Some staff speak good English while others speak none or very little. We try to speak Spanish as much as possible but "not so good" either. This can be a huge problem especially when needing info or help of any kind.

Definitely would return here as it has a good location, easy to get around, safe and clean. Very impressed with the recycle program they have in Hautulco and the city is doing a great job in tourism.

Room Tip: No really bad rooms here, lots of ocean view at no charge.
2 Thank travelwisard
Dear travelwisard,

We are glad to know that you have enjoyed our services and your holidays went as you expected, we appreciate your comments which help us to improve every day.

Regarding your suggestions, we've taken some actions which we would like to share with you:

We have placed more staff in the pool areas and pool bar as well as an additional bar with a bartender to give better support to the service, we have 4 waiters in the pools plus a responsible of the bars to ensure that our guests are served.

Our service staff receive English classes constantly and most are found within refresher programs which we hope it deliver us results soon, yet we count with staff that has an acceptable english level and that precisely its job is to provide information, among you will find are, Animation staff, Guest Service, Club Premium, Front Desk Manager and staff, as well as we always have a Manager on duty available for any clarification and additional information.

We say goodbye but not before we thank again the time you have taken to write your reviews they are useful for us and even more for other travelers.

We are looking forward your visit with open arms,

Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2014

Well just returned from a 7 night trip (March 29th – April 5th) to the Barceló Huatulco and this is our 4th visit/in 4 years to this resort in April. This is our 14th time at a Barceló property. A lot of the staff has been there for years and do you remember you. We had a great time with just a few minor problems..

Airline/Airports: Our package was with Apple Vacations and we booked through our travel agent Travel Leaders out of Milwaukee and flew from Chicago-O’Hare. Check-in was easy and painless. When taking an international vacation flight it would be nice to have a bar/restaurant open at 7:00am not 10:00am in the international terminal. The airline was Frontier and the staff was great both ways. One flight attendant (Victoria) even remembered us from last year and that was a nice touch!!

Arrival/Front Desk: The front desk workers were very professional when we arrived at 2:00pm on Saturday. We were greeted by the concierge and reception workers. I have e-mail the resort two weeks before and work with Karla in the front office on our room selection. Karla even came out and greeted us and even showed up when we checked out to make sure we had a great time. We upgraded to the premium club because we wanted the top shelf liquored offered, free wifi (make sure you renew your code in 5 days), and the ocean view rooms. Karla had everything set up for us upon arrival (Thank you again Karla & reception staff). Make sure you ask for your pool cards and a lock for your in-room safe. This trip we did see our Apple Rep a few more times than we did on our past trips. With upgrading to the premium club you have the ability to go into the private lounge. The staff in this lounge was fantastic and answered all of our questions, made our dinner reservations and even fixed our computer so we can see the NCAA college basketball tournament.

Room: The location was GREAT on the 2nd floor overlooking the pool and ocean. Our room included a king size bed (very comfortable), dresser, small table and chairs, couch, in room safe-key lock, mini refrigerator (beer-Corona cans, water, soda-coke products, apple juice, peanuts, and wafers), iron, ironing board, flat screen TV, CD player, alarm clock, coffee maker (with coffee packs), balcony and hanging area. The bathroom had bath towels (nice size), little bottles of conditioner, hair dryer and shower dispenser for body wash and shampoo. The rooms are showing some age but the staff keeps the room very clean and operable. The only problems we had in our room was that the AC unit would blow a fuse a few times during our trip but the maintenance staff fixed the problem in a timely manner. I would recommend bringing an air freshener for the room. The housekeeper (Miriam) and the refrigerator stocker did a great job every day and they always had a smile on their face!!

Pools/Beach: There are two pools to choose from – family/activity (main) and adult’s only pool. The adult’s only pool has the swim up bar. We stayed around the adult’s only pool and the beach the entire week. From last April they added kid slides to the family pool and did a great job with this addition. The families that were there with small children looked like they had a great time. The activity staff was the best this time around in 4 years in staying at this resort. All of the activity staff worked around the pool all day trying to get people involved or just talking with them. This is the first time in 15 years of traveling that the pools did not cool you off in the afternoon because the weather all week long was in the 90’s and the water was luke warm in adults pool by 1:00pm. The staff was also checking the balances of the pool water throughout the day plus cleaning around the pool area so that was nice to see. Well the beach is not the best because of the angle from the resort to the shoreline but it was better than most years. As other people has indicated this is not the best beach to walk on. We are beach walkers but we decided to take to the sidewalks in the early morning outside of the resort and walk towards town and around the golf course. I would recommend walking in the early morning because it gets very hot by 11:00am. There was a little towel game to save seats in the morning but not great. A lot of the places by the seawall were taken before 8:00am each morning and the shaded areas.

Bars: There are two bars outside by the pool (swim up bar and the beach/pool bar). The bars open at 10:00-15am every morning. Inside there is a lobby bar (not air conditioned) that opens at 5:00ish (pm) and a disco bar that is air conditioned that opens at 9:30pm. There is also a little bar in the theater for the shows at night. The pool bars close by 6:00 and the lobby bar stays open until you leave but usually closes around 1:00am. The bartender’s at the pool bar are getting better over the years and do a better job understanding English. The big change was the lobby bartenders from years past. Jonathan and Louie were great and it was pleasure having a conversation with them each night. The beer on tap was Melodo and Melodo Dark. The house wines were just OK but with premium club you have a choice of a few other types of wines. Bring an insulted mug to use during the day. If you upgrade to the premium club make sure you request the liquor by the name brand to see if they have it or you will just get whatever rail liquor they have.

Restaurants: The food was good for all three meals per day and we liked the ala cartes at night (guys need long pants for all of the ala cartes)….. For breakfast it was typical eggs to order, bacon, sausage, fruit, some main dishes, cereal, pastry’s and yogurt. What was a nice touch you could get a mousses at breakfast and the Mexican coffee was really good. For lunch you had a pick between two restaurants – the outside buffet had burgers, hot dogs, pizza, nachos, a few fish dishes and other hot dishes, salads and desserts… The inside restaurant (no wet swimming suits) had fresh choices of fish, meats and pork to be grilled to your liken. For dinner they had theme nights in the buffet and you could make reservations at the 3 ala cartes but you need to find out by the front desk to see which one is open each night. Out of the dinner ala cartes we liked the Seafood/Steak the best, then Don Q (Spanish) and lastly Mexican. We did not make it to the Sushi restaurant.

Things that can be improved: Maybe a premium area out by the beach; In the premium club area please have tomato juice on hand in the morning; Also have a few more easy chairs to relax by so you don’t have to seat at a table in the private club area. A drink board at the pool bar would be a nice touch; the pool bars to open earlier 9:00am and lastly theme nights by the pool, beach or even in the theater would be a lot of fun!!! Also if you upgraded to the premium club amenities it would be nice that the bartenders ask what brand name of liquor you would like instead of just using rail liquor if you don’t request top shelf.

Overall: This was the 4th time to this resort and the staff was great and we are already discussing next year’s trip with a small group and maybe two weeks instead of a one week stay. We met some great people from Chicago/Illinois and Canada, so a big Senor Ted hello to all!! Also I want to thank the entire staff at the Barceló on making our stay memorable once again!! Ted&Julie – Wisconsin

Room Tip: Higher floors have a better view of the ocean and bay. I would request 3rd floor or above. The res...
2 Thank backus2006
Dear Ted & Julie

Thank you very much for all these years of support and trust towards our hotel, it is an honor having regular guests like you who help this destination being a better place, thank you for your good comments which we are going to share with our staff.

Regarding your suggestions, we have made the following improvements:

We have opened one of the pool bars at 9:00 a.m. Since we have seen that there are many people at this time in the pool and the heat of Huatulco deserves it, due to we do not have at the moment a private area for premium guests we have placed an exclusive waiter in the pool and beach areas dedicated to meet all drinks requests; in this case we will ask which liquor, tequila or beer they prefer for their favorite drink , tomato juice have already been included during morning in the premium club and our buffet, as well as a variety of milks.

In addition we would like to comment that in the month of June we will begin a process of renewal in our apartments and rooms, which we hope you will enjoy them on your next visit.

We say goodbye but not before to thank you again for your comments and your visit to our hotel.

Best Regars,

Barceló huatulco Beach
North Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2014

We were very pleased with our stay March 25-April 1. While this resort if older it is very clean, well maintained and in a great beach location. We had a beautiful view from our 3rd floor room over the pool to the ocean. The staff are excellent, polite courteous and willing to help. The beach is great for swimming with only a little surf and the water is lovely and warm. We found all the food very good and the service was good as well. We did not travel with children but this resort has a lovely children's pool and play area. The entertainment in the evening was excellent and the activities during the day were also very good. It was our first time to Hautulco. We hope to visit again and the Barcelo would certainly be our first choice.

Room Tip: It seems that all the room have an ocean view.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Douglas W
Dear Douglas W

It is very pleasing for us to know that you enjoyed your holidays and that all your family did a great time with us, thank you for your good comments which we will share with our staff.

During June, we will begin a process of renewal in our floors and rooms, which we hope you would enjoy on your next visit.

Thank you very much for this time you have taken to write your reviews and we will be waiting for you back at this your home.

Courtice, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2014

I returned to this resort because it is very good for the price.
Food was excellent at the buffet and the two restaurants we tried, Spanish and Steak and Seafood.

The staff is the friendliest I have met anywhere!
Quick to help out and cleaning up glasses, etc around the pool.

Rooms are not perfect being a little older, but clean and comfortable.
Grounds are nicely kept.

They have built a new water park for the kids,

Beach is CLEAN!!
No complaints!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank DEBORAH R
Barcelo Huatulc... B, Public Relations Manager at Barcelo Huatulco, responded to this review, May 2, 2014
Dear Tcbdeb:

Thank you so much for your comments, we know that your vacations are very important for you and we are glad to be part of them, It is even better if everything goes on without any inconvenients.

We hope that on your third visit to our property you find pleasant the improvements and renovations that we have planned to make this year.

We are thankful by your preference to the destination and our hotel.

Barcelo Huatulco Beach
Spruce Grove, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2014

My husband and I went from April 1-8. The air condition did not work in our room. We reported it they came up to fix it but really it only dropped a couple of degrees. It was very warm in that room. The resort itself is wonderful. They do an outstanding job to ensure its cleanliness. The beds were fantastic. I found it a bit problematic that the majority of the staff were not as helpful with English. I needed something stronger than aloe for my burn and the lady there could not understand what I needed. I went into the town pharmacy and a young boy there figured out what I needed. When we came back we found the same product in her store.......
The bathroom situation was less than desirable. One set for outside which smelled bad and it wasn't easily accessible from all sides of the resort. More so just pool side. There was one set for the lobby that was down the hall. Just a short walk but none the less not easily accessible. On our last day we found one more set of bathrooms. We thought we struck gold! Hmmmm wrong. We couldn't even breath in there for the stench of sewer and puke.
Overall the food was good, not fantastic but good. My husband ended up being sick our last three days with his stomach. As well we were aware of a woman who had to see the dr due to dehydration, a young boy on our plane home and 4 people from a wedding party.
Based on food alone I wouldn't go back.
The beach was fantastic. Plenty of chairs. Awesome waves to play in. Easy to access the catamarans and boats the are used for free..
The only downside is the amount of merchants that you had to say No to. But they were gracious about the refusals.
I can say that the weddings the set up for were beautiful. And the BBQ they put on for their sunwing guests was amazing. Food and all.
Also what they have there for children looked fantastic. The play land in the pool as well as the yard with trampoline play house and jungle gym.
We tried out their mini golf....... I have no words.
The tennis courts looked nice and the gym was small but respectable.
I love the area and I would love to go back but I will try another resort.

Dear Jennifer W:

Thank you for your comments they are very important to us since thanks to them we improve the shortcomings and work on them, we are currently in a process of preventive and corrective maintenance to our air conditioning equipments in rooms in order to improve the temperature in the rooms, although most work correctly we have found some of them that have required major work.

We are working on training our guest service staff in shops, restaurants and bars in order to achieve better interaction with our customers and to avoid these drawbacks of service.

Regarding the bathrooms we have permanent staff on them which are in charge of keeping them clean with suitable aroma and in a good state of maintenance so that our guests can find them always clean, we will be more attentive to this.

We hope you will give us a new opportunity to assist you and to receive you as you deserve, we are working on major changes that you can see.

Thank you very much for your support and preference

Barcelo Huatulco Beach