This is my second time to huatulco, my first time staying at the Barcelo. My first stay was at Dreams next door. My review compares the two a lot if you are trying to choose.
If you are trying to choose:
KIDS: I don't have any, but I would have to say that kids will have more fun at the Barcelo. Hands down. They won't notice the ugly tile and aging building. They will notice the awesome kids pool with 3 slides and the trampoline and the jungle gym. Which Dreams does NOT have.
COUPLES: Good luck getting a King bed at the barcelo. You will have to choose between snuggling on one of the doubles pushed together or each sleeping on one. I had requested king, was given two doubles and after speaking to other visitors it seems there was at least half a dozen couples in the same situation. Tried to switch to a King room 3 times with no luck.
Food: Barcelo and Dreams food are at par with each other IMO. Both have mediocre buffets. A la cartes at barcelo were good, with the exception of the Mexican restaurant...don't bother with that one we didn't like it and we didn't hear a single good thing from any of the other guests.
Beds: Comfortable (firmer) beds with good pillows. Just don't expect a king bed.
Rooms: showing their age. Ugly pink tiles. Lights buzz in the bathroom. Toilet handle loose and rusty, takes forever to flush. But maids did a good job at keeping it clean. Dreams has the nicer rooms.
Pools: 1 adult pool with swim up bar. 1 kids pool divided in two parts one more shallow than the other. Better pools for kids for sure. No infinity pools like Dreams has.
Bars/drinks: I don't drink often, I did find that they were missing some of my preferred mixes, but I made other selections and the drinks were decent. They were pretty good about not being stingy with the booze.
Staff: All were very polite. In some areas I did get the impression they were understaffed sometimes at food rush times sometimes at the bar.
Could use more umbrellas on the beach, but you could usually find a chair in the full sun somewhere. The beach is nice. Sand is very coarse and gets very hot. The ocean is very warm. Like bath water almost. It's great. Huatulco is a smaller town than say pto Vallarta or playa del Carmen and feels more authentic. You will not find a big chain restaurant here. Weather is 30 degrees Celsius every day. It's the same day every day just about.
We paid just under $1100 a person from edmonton and I was very happy with the resort for that price.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Barcelo Huatulco invites you to experience the hottest new resort All Inclusive location in Mexico without the hustle and bustle of a big city. Huatulco Bays is quickly becoming a key tourist Mexico beach attraction, offering well-preserved natural landscapes combined with luxury accommodations. This resort is well-positioned in the center of a cove, overlooking dazzling golden beaches and the sapphire blue waters of the Pacific Ocean. Live your dream vacation as you bury your feet in the sand, sip a cool drink and watch the waves roll onto shore. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Barcelo, BookIt.com, Hotwire, Orbitz, Cancelon, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Barcelo Huatulco reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Barcelo Huatulco Beach Hotel Huatulco
- Barcelo Huatulco Beach Resort
- Barcelo Resort