“First time in Huatulco”

Barcelo Huatulco
Ranked #6 of 48 Hotels in Huatulco
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed January 31, 2014

We were at Barcelo Huatulco Jan 21-28 this year . The weather was amazing the food was good rooms are a little dated but very very clean. Would go back tomorrow if we didnt have to work. Was mostly a over 45 crowd but very nice with a great beach

2  Thank Trevor C
Write a ReviewReviews (3,927)

Reviewed January 30, 2014

great trip, the hotel and staff and food were wonderful. The airport is small and so nice and open. Sunwing people all seemed to be helpful. The ladies and gentlemen serving drinks were all very friendly and was good to see that they took time to try and learn more English words and phrases during the course of their workday.

Room Tip: try to have the 4 or floor for a better view of ocean!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank abbydeen
Reviewed January 29, 2014

We always said that we want to go to different destinations every year. That changed 3 years ago when we arrived in Huatulco. we have no desire to visit anywhere else, in fact we want to spend more time in this area eventually wintering down in the Tangolunda, Crucecita area. The people are absolutely wonderful. We have stayed all 3 years here at the Barceló. The staff are amazing, they work so hard many of them work 12 hour days. We have no complaints what so ever with this resort. we have read many reviews and I guess it takes a lot to impress some people. We contacted the Barceló a week or two before we arrived requesting a room, they replied saying they will see what they could do. We were delighted upon arrival that we received the room we requested.

We only have two suggestions that could improve the Barceló. I do agree with the comment/complaint another person wrote about only 2 bottles of water in the mini bar. The weather here is so incredible, you need that water. There should be 2 bottles of water per person with an extra one for the coffee maker per day. The other is to have the beach/pool bar Coco Loco open til at least 10p.m. A lot of people like to sit around and have a few cocktails after a day on the beach or in town. You have to go to the lobby bar to get drinks. The hours posted stated it closed at 1800hrs and it was open a few times until 730pm. Which was nice as you could enjoy the ocean breeze.

We only ate at the buffets this year. We didn't want to be tied down to any set times was the only reason. We never went hungry. The food was great. The service was great as well, when the restaurant was busy The Capitan (Manager) Edgar was on the ball. It was amazing to watch him run the restaurant. He is not afraid to get his hands dirty and give a hand where it is needed and ensures that everyone has a wonderful meal and experience. I went to see him in the theatre the evening prior to us leaving in the morning to thank him for another wonderful vacation. See you next year amigo.

We had no issues with getting a chair, we are beach people though. We go there to sit on the beach and play in the ocean. We met so many great people on the beach that have become friends over the last 3 years. We can sit by the pool here at home in July and August. We did find that people reserved chairs and were not there for several hours, some returning after going on a day tour. Really???? We went on tours or into town and returned and found chairs.

We cannot say enough about the beach/pool waiter Fernando. This young man works so incredibly hard. We certainly missed him on his day off and when they rotated the servers around. I believe there are 3-4 areas that a server was assigned to. I purposely went to find the area that Fernando was working to order our drinks. Just so I could have the pleasure of the wonderful service with a smile that he provides day in and day out. He came to the lobby to see us off and say good bye.

Before leaving at the airport in Winnipeg, we recognized someone who we have seen the last 2 years at the Barceló and sure enough they were going back again. We ran into several other Canadians that we have met here on our previous visits. I have never been to a place that has some many frequent return visitors like this place.

We did the Bays tour again with Pilo, had a great time in the boat, saw whales, dolphins, turtles, rays and even a sailfish. I just wish we had bait fish to hook onto it. We did Mamma Mia Pizza and was delicious once again. Friday night at La Crema was fun, we met some of our friends for a few cervezas there.

We only took in one show at the theatre as we were visiting our friends in town. Nice air conditioned theatre, the show was really good that night. It was the 60's 70's and 80's show.

We were sad to hear that happy happy Sofia was no longer working at the hotel.

It was very hard to leave. We look forward to returning again and seeing our many friends that we have made over the last 3 yrs. Thanks again to all at the Barceló for a fabulous time. There is so many people to mention. See you next year amigos and amigas.

I guess you can say we really enjoyed our stay!

9  Thank C - T R
Reviewed January 28, 2014

This was our second trip to the Barcelo in Huatulco with the last trip being in 2008. Since 2008 they have done a few updates but it definatly could use a lot more. The rooms are nice enough for the amount of time you spend in them but ours had air conditioner issues (didn't work) and the toilet ran continuously. Both were reported to the front desk and they did partially fix the toilet but not the a/c. We love this location for the weather and the beaches etc but we normally don't stay at hotels more than once. We like to see what else is out there and even though they might be close together you still get a different flavour of the area. We are now done with the Barcel for sure. We had requested a king bed and that didn't happen! Two doubles pushed together doesn't cut it. We have stayed at 20 plus all inclusives and usually by the end of the week we are done with the food. This was exactly the same everyday! We booked in for the alacarte's for dinners and they were ok. The pool bar looks ancient now and doesn't look clean at all. The grounds are very nice as well as the smiley staff. Overall the Hotel is very clean and the pool is great. We will do Huatulco again for being safe and clean but we will pass on the Barcelo.

Reviewed January 26, 2014

I think what they are marketing here is the weather in early January. Like Ixtapa you are almost guaranteed warm sunny weather, the beach, the surf, the sand, the sun, the pools, the food, the drinks, the staff, the palm trees. What else is there for a tropical getaway?..it was all good.
The Huatulco MX area is very similar to but smaller than Ixtapa, fewer hotels, fewer people, fewer restaurants and stores, but more laid back and quiet and I felt very safe there. We went all inclusive from January 10, 2014 to January 17, 2014. We were in a "preferred" ocean front "two full beds" hotel room.
The halls and rooms and grounds are well maintained, it is older, someone said it used to be a Sheraton. Beds and pillows and maid service were great, the in-room free mini bar included beer, cokes, juices and potato chips and nuts, replenished daily. Bottled water every day and in- room coffee makers. The TV was flat screen with a dvd player, but no place to get dvds. Many cable channels, subtitled or dubbed in espanol is hit or miss, CNN headline news is in English.
Food in the four "entre" restaurants was OK, the sushi place stood out. Best reserve ASAP afer check in, they do fill up. The two daily no res needed buffets had amazing cut fresh fruit and vegetables everyday, deserts, pastas, meats, soups, breakfast and anything you might need.
If it's a day that the hotel is full and there are not many bus tours offered, you best get your lounge chair by the pool reserved with your towels by 10AM or you will not find one in the shade later. There is beach volleyball, bingo, water aerobics everyday. The locals hawk water taxis or fishing trips from the beach. I booked a 1.5 hour bay tour with Tony Lopez Lopez, he showed with his boat and driver at the appointed time with just my $25.00 up front deposit.The trip lengths and destinations and activities are negotiable. The tour was safe and what I wanted.
I did not try the hotel wifi as I have free T-mobil intl data roaming. The cellular speed there from Movistar, which my sim card hooked onto automatically, is like dialup speed, free but adequate for text messaging, emails and small pics or low data apps. Voice calls worked auto for .20 per minute. There is a coffee shop across the street with free respectable WIFI, for Skype, just order a coffee or tea for a couple bucks and they will hook you up for the day. I was able to stream my local tv news from there in HD. Also a good chance to update your apps and pics. I loved Santa Cruz for a day trip, beautiful town with a town square and marina, beach restaurants and flea markets. We went to Las Crucecita too, larger and more shopping and both towns felt safe. There is a concrete sidewalk that runs along the main highway in Huatulco, in front of the hotels, we walked one hour per day on the one that skirts the golf course, shaded and flat, somewhat desolate but in seven days nothing out of the ordinary occured, and very little traffic outside of the ubiguitous taxis.
Across the street from the Barcelo you can rent mopeds, motorbikes, motorcycles, trail bikes, dune buggies, or cars. The taxi rates there I think are embarrasingly low so I rented nothing. Not alot of roads here anyway and I was all inclusive so stayed mostly at the resort. There is a suggestion box by the hotel reception, but no paper or pens to write anything. I would suggest to Barcelo mgmt to add a free wifi hotspot in the lobby as hotel wide wifi in an older concrete building is always a dicey propostion. Song and Dance Shows seven nights a week were nice and included, and the lobby had a lot of social action each evening, the bar served coffee, fruit and pastries in the morning, and appetizers and drinks after 5pm.
Climate wise, it may say 85-90 degrees, but remember there is an ocean breeze, and the ocean temp is not that high, nice cooling tropical breezes make it very comfortable for an afternoon nap poolside.
It takes less than 1/2 hour to walk the length of the beach as bays are truncated by granite outcroppings, but the Pacific is swimmable there. We did not get to Secrets or Dreams or Las Brisas, but they share the area. I have fond memories of this place. Glad that I checked it out. One odd thing, the Mexican coastline starts to move west to east here in Oaxaca, so the sun comes up out of the ocean instead of setting out in the ocean, makes the mornings sunnier and the afternoons shadier as the sun moves behind the hotel.
There is a currency exchange at the front desk, but they were selling fewer pesos per dollar than the day's rate, tipo de cambio was 11.1 vs almost 13 online, but there is convenience here. Banks are in Las Crucecitas, ATM's are everywhere.

Room Tip: Some rooms face a side garden courtyard with no beach view, on the one side near the noise making me...
8  Thank yesterdaytoday11
Reviewed January 25, 2014

We were among the few Americans to spend this past week at Barcelo with a large contingent of Canadians and Mexicans. The staff were all pleasant and some exceptional. Hotel is older but clean. Beds and linens were much better than other hotels we have stayed in Mexico. Food was good with large variety. Seemed to be difficult to keep some of the buffet foods hot. Bathrooms could stand a makeover as the fixtures have seen a lot of use. Hallways can get noisy at night. Views were fantastic and breeze kept the temperature pleasant at all times. Most balconies were equipped with a hammock. Would be nice if they could do away with the two classes of service and treat everyone the same. Two double beds in every room I saw. Lots of opportunities for excursions. I enjoyed the 3 levels tour....very informative with Alberto.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Pamer_Ozarkian
Reviewed January 24, 2014

This is a popular hotel. We spoke to many people who were returning guests; one couple had been nine times and one seventeen! I get it. The Barceló is a good value. They have everything one expects from an all-inclusive and it’s all pretty good. If you are the sort of person who just wants a basic, clean place with a beach, hot sun and some bang for your buck you will be happy here. And while, other than the rooms, I thought everything was fine, I would not go back. It was just a little too loud and a little too basic for me. I would say half the guests were Canadian, half Mexican (some from Guatemala) with a few Americans mixed in.
Positives:
I thought the food was good, not fabulous but certainly good enough and consistent. We went to three a la cart restaurants, Spanish, Seafood/Steakhouse and Sushi. I really enjoyed the Spanish (Ate there three times) and thought the sushi was pretty good. I thought the steakhouse was OK but others found the service to be very slow.
Service was mostly very good, except in the nightclub. I tipped the bartenders 200 pesos as soon as we walked in and still couldn’t get a drink. Good news: they didn’t seem to care when we poured our own. The maid service was like clockwork, and we’ve never experienced THAT before, anywhere.
The pools were nice enough but the children’s pool was right next to the adult pool so the noise factor was still there.
I liked the size of this hotel – not too big. I’m not a fan of mega-resorts where you have to walk a million miles to get to the beach. The beach was nice and right there. We had fun with the vendors on and bought a few things. I would not hesitate to book tours on the beach either, though you are warned not to. Everyone does it. We booked several trips and they were all great. We booked with Juan for fishing and Rolando for a couple of other tours. Both were top notch and we could not have been happier.
Negatives
The rooms are pretty worn especially the bathroom which should be gutted. However, the beds were comfortable, (Mexico hard) the linens nice and towels extra big and fluffy. They gave us a ton of amenities, just about everything you could think of. Some people aren’t fussy about their room but I am and that is one major reason I would not go back.
Club Premium
We booked Club Premium thinking it would get us a better room. It didn’t. The rooms are all identical but the Club Premium rooms may have an ocean view, or be in a more convenient part of the hotel. However, we thought the service offered by Club Premium was worth it considering the cost difference is very small. You get free Wi-Fi in your room; you don’t need a card to get towels for the pool, and access to the club lounge. That was the part I liked. They have premium brands of liquor in there (unlimited Bailey’s!) and wine that was drinkable. You could also get premium liquors at the other bars too. You could order off a limited menu in there and get food served to you if you didn’t feel like doing the buffet. It was a nice option. I think you could get unlimited room service, but we never bothered.

Room Tip: All rooms are identical. We were told there are only 8 king size beds on each floor. All the other r...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family