“Decent Resort for Families” 4 of 5 bubbles

Barcelo Huatulco
Ranked #6 of 49 Hotels in Huatulco
GreenLeadersGold level
Winnipeg, Canada
“Decent Resort for Families”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2013

Overall: Stayed at Barceló from Dec 17 to the 24th. This is a relatively small resort (about 350 rooms or so). Every thing is a few minutes walk and felt very convenient no matter where the room was located.

Generally speaking the food was good between the two buffets. We liked the Spanish restaurant. Mexican restaurant Agave was OK. It switched to Seafood on certain nights and was satisfactory. Did not try the Sushi as it was booked. Heard bad reviews from other guests.

Huatulco is definitely geared towards Canadians. Scotia Bank, hotels owned by Canadians, Saskatchewan Rough Riders flags on boats, people wearing ponchos with Calgary Flames.... do I say anymore. The American $ and the Canadian $ is treated at par so take Canadian Cash as they take either $ or Peso everywhere.

It was sunny with fantastic weather and people are sooooooooo good and welcoming. Fantastic destination. Will surely be back

Room Tip: We were a family of 4 and stayed in a standard room. All room has balconies and we had a partial oc...
5 Thank Tunkubaba

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (534)
  • Korean first
Patricia, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2013

Just got back from a week stay at Barcelo,thought rooms,meals were all good,friendly people but the one thing I had a problem with was the sun wing people where you book your tours.Had a guy by the name of JT rip me off a $100 booking the waterfall trip so wouldn't advise anybody to book through him,comes across as a nice guy but is a weasle and a crook.They also advise you not to book your tours with anybody but the hotel which is completely B.S talked with 2 tour groups outside hotel and were more than friendly.Sunwing people seemed to have they're hand out every five minutes looking for a tip after paying good money to go on tour.Long story short wouldn't be afraid to book tours with people off resort

• 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Brian M
Kelowna, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2013

This was my third Mexican all-inclusive vacation. This Barcelo Hotel offers the best food selection and quality that I have encountered to date. There is really nothing I could say that needs improving insofar as the service, cleanliness, and overall organization provided here. We ate at some of the specialty restaurants, like the Spanish, and Mexican and enjoy both very much. December is a Mexican holiday for school children, so there were plenty of families here, in fact I estimate about 75% hotel guests were from Mexico City.

This hotel does not provide free Wi-Fi service. It is available at a cost of $12 a day, which is ridiculously high. We went across the street to a local coffee shop in order to get a connection to the Internet. There is only one place to wash your feet you come out of the ocean and it is at the extreme west end entrance to the grounds. The hotel would be very smart to include additional showers and places to wash the sand from your feet.

The grounds surrounding hotel are landscaped beautifully, everything is well manicured, everything is very clean. I would certainly recommend this hotel to all potential travelers to Huatulco. There are two towns nearby, Santa Cruz, and Cruceceta, both less than 40 pesos, or under $4.00 Canadian.

Room Tip: Many rooms are ocean view, some are oceanfront which are more expensive of course. Ours faced in tow...
4 Thank Wonndatt
Winnipeg, Manitoba
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2013

I recently returned from a one week getaway to the Barcelo in Hualtulco. I loved everything about the area and the hotel. The Barcelo is a small resort which is what I like. The guests were mainly Canadian and Mexican families with beautifully behaved children. There were not a great number of guests there at the time so there was no problem finding a lounge chair under a palapa on the edge of a beautiful beach with crystal clear water! With very warm temperatures, a beautiful breeze, drinks delivered to you, plenty to eat when you were hungry...what more does one need?? I don't understand the concerns about the hotel being old. My house is old but that does not make it inferior to new construction. Granted the bathroom in our room was old, but it was clean and we quite liked the room with great air conditioning and a good sized balcony with an ocean view. We found the beds and pillows to be very comfortable. The staff was very kind and helpful, especially when we expressed concerns about the effort of the cleaning staff in our room. Athough there is not a great lenghth of beach to walk on, you can walk on a very wide sidewalk all the way to town if you wish. I walked by myself a few mornings and felt very safe. I have been to many areas in Mexico and on many excursions. The boat ride with Tony Lopez Lopez, " the only boat tour operator to take you to all nine bays", was the best excursion I have ever been on! He will find you and believe me you will not be sorry! La Crema is a good restaurant to visit in town...very thin crust, delicious pizzas. I would return to this area and would not hesitate to stay at the Barcelo.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms had an ocean view if I am not mistaken. We were in the 4th floor which was ve...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank placestogo50
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2013

Overall we enjoyed the resort, it was relaxing, plenty to do or not, good beach for walking, the water may be a little challenging because of the quick drop off where the waves break- once in the water beyond the drop off it is pleasant, ( waves are low but strong ); The pool area is ample and well maintained. The pool and lounge area are substantially higher than the ocean, giving you the ability to overlook the ocean rather then stare into it

During the week the hotel was not full; however, Friday through Monday it was reaching capacity - still it was not difficult to find a lounge chair.
There is a community feel to the resort probably because of the pool/restaurants layout - you can participate or stay alone - your choice. .

The staff are courteous right from the lobby on through to the beach and pool, waiters like Giovanni, Fernando, Marcel engage the guests and make them feel special by going beyond their immediate duties. Actually it seems that the staff becomes much more friendly as you move away from the lobby.

The hotel is older and it is being slowly renovated, the original wow factor has been dampened by the tiredness of the hotel. The gardens have gained by the age,are beautiful and very well maintained by proud gardeners.

The rooms are sizeable, good views, spotless, crisp and clean; the mattresses have just been changed and up graded, but the bathroom tiles, paint, fixtures need attention - lighting could be better ( controlled from an array of switches on one side of the two queen sized beds - awkward) The windowless hall ways need much better lighting - when the lights are turned off during the day - you need to find your rooms in very low light ( try finding the slot for your electronic key in the dark ) - this does pose problems and potential dangers for the guests.

The guest does get hit with extra charges ( WiFi is expensive, particularly when restaurants across the street offer free WiFi - Even when you pay for the WiFi - the data reception is slow). The hotel shops, as in most hotels are overpriced ( it is cheaper to buy good tequila back home than at the hotel, this goes for other items such as sun tan lotion, creams etc. )

The Food was good - with a substantial variety to keep you happy all week - the specialty restaurants were very good, except the Japanese - which requires the chef to read up on the preparations ( rice and ginger substituting sea food just does not cut it - nor does the absence of tempura as one of their main plates).
Plenty of choices for restaurants across the street or in town ( about 10 minutes and a $4.00 cab ride ) as well.

Overall as mentioned we enjoyed the resort and will keep it on our list for potential return.

Room Tip: You can ask to see the room before you accept, you can upgrade at $30 per person per night for large...
4 Thank Chris O
Kelowna, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2013

A week spent in this very comfortable resort was a most pleasurable experience. The location is very good with very reasonable taxi service right outside the hotel. The staff and food (very important for an all inclusive, in my opinion) was excellent. They are very friendly and want to help. Even the more expensive resort next door (and you all know where that is) could not compare with the quality and variety of food as I was told. They love Canadians, praise us quite a bit and we seem to love them back. Nightly entertainment was "good" and enthusiastic. Yes, the rooms could use a bit of upgrading; however, it may take away some of the authenticity that makes us feel comfortable. One bit of obvious lack in the service department...lack of free WiFi. Their Premium package upgrade includes it (along with other amenities); however, if you enroll in their daily package, it is very expensive. We have left comments to this affect so perhaps they will change in the future. No disappointment at this place. Viva Mexico!

Room Tip: We were on the 4th floor overlooking the pool facing north west. Great setting.
6 Thank omega101
farmersescape
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2013

We just got back from a week at the Barcelo in Huatulco. While Huatulco was lovely and we would love to return, it won't be to the Barcelo.
The Good
The location is fantastic and the beach is amazing. The weather is so warm, as is the water! The people were very nice, and we especially liked the vendors offering boat tours and beach shopping. The food is also very good, and because we had kids with us we ate mostly in the buffet and the choices were varied and kept it interesting. The last night they through our group a farewell party that was very well put together and lot of work. Also, we had great views from our rooms.
The not-so-good
I really look forward to trying a few fancy drinks while on vacation and was disappointed at what was offered at the Barcelo. The pina colodas and daquiries were premade and not very good at all. They ran out of mint a lot and mojitos are my favorite. It seems a trend in Hualtulco that you cannot have any snacks outside the buffet restaurants and we really missed that. We were not even allowed some plates and forks so we could have a birthday cake for my mother in law unless we went to the buffet area. The cake was brought to us by one of the tour operators (Tony Lopez) who is a friend of my in-laws and we were unable to share with him.
The ugly
Okay, so there were some deal breakers for us. The beds and pillows are insanely hard. I slept very poorly and it was hard to maintain the energy I usually have, especially on vacation, as I try to make the most of the time we have! Also, the walls did not stop any sound, and as soon as someone left their room on our wing the sound would wake us up. We had some issues with our safe and our plumbing. In general the hotel is very old and hasn't been renovated in a long time, so the rooms are not very nice, but we would have been able to overlook that if it weren't for the lack of sleep from the other issues.
Overall
I have been on many vacations and I would definitely recommend Huatulco. I saw secluded beaches that I didn't think actually existed. I would not recommend this hotel. I have felt I have gotten more for my money on every other holiday I have been on, and would not choose this hotel again. I believe there is better value at other resorts. I am actually surprised that Barcelo would want this hotel to represent their brand.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles