“Weekends are very different.....waves are big starting mid april....”
Review of Barcelo Huatulco

Barcelo Huatulco
Ranked #6 of 47 Hotels in Huatulco
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed May 1, 2013

We have been to this resort in December when the water was much calmer. Mid April is when the waves are so big that you cannot swim. Found out that Mid april through to september is the rough times in the ocean and beach. Can be dangerous. Weekends come with full to capacity occupancy at the hotel. There were as many as 40 young males in the pool who then took over and were very rude to everyone else. Anyone who experiences this should let staff know as they knew english swear words and continued to shout them out. They also tried hitting older people with a volley ball, staff did not pay too much attention. Wish staff knew a few more words of english as there were many times they could not figure out the basics. Being polite will get you everywhere here. Learning a few spanish words would be beneficial. La Crucecita was marvelous as we ate a traditional lunch and sampler, fantastic! Also tried the mud scrub but found out that it could have been cow poop as when it dried it went green. Do not recommend that as it could make you sick, that was at the La Bocanna surfer beach. Great place to go as Barcelo is beautiful with flowers and scenery. Good food that is fresh....Needs more evening/outside bar entertainment other than the show......Highly recommended canadian place. Great to chat with many canadians from across the country. From a proud canadian...!!!

Room Tip: Most of the rooms are terrific. Check them before committing.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank lena3811

Reviewed May 1, 2013

I had my first trip to this resort in 2011 and have been going back every year for 2 weeks. I have also stayed at Dreams. Both resorts are awsome. The staff is great. The rooms are clean and very bright. It is always sunny and at least plus 31. The only down side Huatulco is the ocean is rough. Mostly yellow and red flag days. We did a boat trip with a local named Valentino. Look him up. He is great. I can't wait to go back in Jan.

Room Tip: All the rooms are good.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 24, 2013

My wife and I spent a week at the Barcelo which we bought online, last minute. The hotel is large enough to offer all the amenities one may expect, yet small enough to make you feel comfortable in short order. We enjoyed the food and cold beer was the standard. The setting is such that you can take a chair and watch the Ocean, while at the same time being a few steps from the pool, restaurant and bar.
Our room was great, complete with queen beds, tub, shower, and a balcony with a view of the ocean. We could hear music from the hotel next door on the weekend, but it stopped by 10:30 or 11:00pm.
If you like to go off resort, You can walk along a good sidewalk to La Crucecita in an hour, or take a cab $5.00. The town offers many cafes, restaurants and shops without a lot of high pressure sales people pestering you. Would I recommend the Barcelo to a friend? Yes.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cousinkk
Reviewed April 24, 2013

This was the first time I have gone to a Barcelo resort. So I will not be able to compare it to others, and so I may have a different view on it then other people who have went to other Barcelo resorts.

I will start off with the only one small little thing that I would recommend the owners to do to make this a resort that everyone would come back over and over again, would be to upgrade the bathrooms and floors in the suits. But this, in my opinion is soooo minor!

First off, I have to agree completely with other views on the service and staff here!! WOW!!! is all I can say. They are sooo ready to please and be of any service to you. I have been to 5 star resorts, and the services and workers are sooooo much better! I have personally never had drink guys come around the pool to get you a drink as often as Barcelo boys did for our week stay. I'm not saying that the minute one drink was done, did i have another, but that is unrealistic. So they came around regular, which is more then I would have expected. The food was good. Never felt like it was reheated or reused (which is what i like most about the food) I am no food critic, so I enjoyed the food most of the time. I personally thought the food was better in the indoor buffet rather then the outside, but the view was soo pretty so we ate mostly at the outside buffet.

It is a small resort... but i personally like that better. Everything was close together, and easy to learn the resort in a day or two. The beach was so/so and I say this with not Barcelo's fault at all. The waves are big and constant and the locals said it was like this for the months of April,May and June so please keep this in mind if you like to swim, snorkel off the beach. We had black flag or Red flag all week. The beach is a bit steep due to the intensity of the waves, of pushing the sand up. The water was warm (for us Canadians) but to the locals, they felt it was too cold. haha would love to see them swim in our Ontario lakes.

The activities and entertainment was AWESOME. went to a few shows, and they work really hard. The activites around the pool was my highlight as that's where I was most of the day due to not being able to swim in the ocean. Oliver was just one name to mention, and he was amazing and fun to get involved with. The activity prizes for adults were really nice and generous, So i'm glad I got to win one :)

my brother and sis in law upgraded to premium for more money, and they had a few extra perks but I personally was happy with out, and glad to have saved the money. We were in 433 and was able to see the pool and beach, which was very nice.

All in All, it was a great vacation, nice resort. and i am left with great pics and good memories. I couldn't ask for more. :) Thank you all at Barcelo Huatulco for a wonderful trip.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Vno21
Reviewed April 22, 2013

My husband and I upgraded to Premium service and it was well worth it! We had private check in upon arrival (everyone else stood in line for a long time!), a wonderful corner suite on the 3rd floor with awesome view, king bed (very comfortable!) ultra white, clean linens, stocked minibar daily (included), champagne in our room upon arrival, free wifi in the room, turn down service every evening, very clean - bathrooms sanitized daily! Wifi costs $12.50 a day if you are not premium, so that was great. We also had access to the private premium lounge that had great snacks and meals, premium liquor, free internet and great service. It was a nice quiet room to get away from all the people and just relax. The girl with the white glasses (sorry, can't remember her name) booked our a la cartes, which were unlimited, as well as provided any information and services that we required. The young gentleman named Jose Vizorretea working in the Premium lounge was especially delightful - so friendly, hard working and helpful! Hope he gains the recognition he deserves!

Meals in the a la cartes had exceptional service and presentation was top notch. The sushi restaurant was the exception - I had a bad experience after eating there, so would not recommend it!

We enjoyed the beach loungers during the day; the pool was pretty crowded and was too warm for us. There were also quite a few children there and tended to be noisy. Must comment about Oliver who organized all the activities around the pool even though we did not partake, we talked to him on a few occasions and he was always enthusiastic and very hard working. Our beverage server on the beach was Fernando, yet another wonderful, friendly and very efficient young man. Everyone loved him!

There are plenty of activities in the area if you want to be busy. We were only there a week so preferred to spend our time relaxing. Some people we met went on a tour to the waterfalls and in hindsight we should have gone there. It was a whole day excursion and their pictures looked amazing. Next time.....

We went in the water the first couple of days but after that the waves were too high and we were not allowed in the water. Walking the beach daily was wonderful though, the bay is very beautiful. Yes, there were plenty of vendors but they were not pushy and didn't bother you if you were reading or had your eyes closed!

We would definitley recommend the Barcelo for the value, and the Huatulco area for the beauty and wonderful people!

Sunwing does a great job... friendly service, champagne and wine as well as hot meal and free movie on flight!

Room Tip: Room 349 is awesome! It is a corner suite overlooking the ocean on one side and the pool on the oth...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank travellover3000
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Travelled with two other couples April 2-9 from Edmonton, AB with Sunwing. Great service, on time, comfortable flight.

Upon arrival at the hotel, we were met with a welcome drink and promptly assigned our rooms. Our friends who had upgraded to premium were provided a separate check-in. The premium guests also had a separate lounge where they could book their a la cartes, had a little bar and food area, pool tables, movies for their room, etc. We had requested 3rd floor ocean-view room with a king-size bed; our room was 363, ocean view with 2 double beds which had been pushed together.

As a travel agent, I had contacted the hotel prior to our arrival and requested a site inspection. It was arranged for April 3; I met Miguel Narvaez, one of the hotel managers, and he provided a most informative tour of the resort. The hotel was at capacity, there were many Mexican guests as it was the second week of their annual two week holiday around Easter. The rest of the guests were mainly Canadian, with a few Americans.

Food: buffets were top-notch, small but enough variety to provide even picky eaters with something to eat. I generally hate buffets and found this to be one of the best we’ve experienced. Hot food was hot; cold food was cold and there were often supervisors/managers inspecting the food service area. We had four a la cartes (Spanish, Mexican and twice to the seafood/steak restaurant). We found the meals in the a la cartes were all quite good. We never felt rushed to leave and generally lingered for some time after our meals.

The hotel also has a special Mexican themed evening each week; while we were there the hotel set up staging and a huge buffet in one of the garden areas. They also set up a big barbeque for the Sunwing guests one evening per week.

Rooms: as others have noted, the rooms were a bit dated however very clean. During my hotel tour, I was told that the tv’s and beds were all new as of December 2012. The beds were the most comfortable we have slept on in all our Mexico trips. All rooms have a balcony and most have a view of the ocean. We had towel art every day, even on the one where I had forgotten to leave a tip.

Bars: pool bar, beach bar, lounge bar and disco. We paid a visit (or two!) to all of the bars and found the service good to great at all. Although we tipped for some rounds we found there to be no difference to the service we received when we didn’t provide a tip.

Beach/pool: although the hotel was at capacity, there were always empty chairs upon arrival around 8 am, usually at the beach. We found chairs mid-morning at the beach as well. There were a lot of beach vendors but they generally left us alone when we said no. Some of us did buy jewelry (from both George & Victor). The pieces were nice and they seemed fairly priced. We also purchased jewelry in town – the beach vendor prices were definitely better and the quality seems just as good.

We hired a van to tour us around the area and enjoyed that. Saw a little of both Santa Cruz and La Crucecita as well as the surrounding bays and beaches.

Overall we found the staff to be very friendly and helpful in all areas of the hotel. I would most definitely recommend the Barcelo Huatulco to my clients and would return.

Please feel free to message me if you have any questions.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
7  Thank mannfam
Reviewed April 19, 2013

My husband, 12 year old son & I visited the Barcelo Feb 26 to March 5, 2013. This is our second time to the Huatulco area and first time to the Barcelo. We booked a premium club room and were extremely happy with our room - it was ground floor (which we normally don't like) but was right behind the beach with an incredible view!!! There was a hammock on our HUGE balcony which we all enjoyed daily. We also really enjoyed the premium lounge where we would meet our friends, who joined us on the trip, for a drink and some snacks before dinner. Both the bar and the food is excellent in the lounge!

The food at this resort is excellent - good quality and well prepared! There were very few things that we ate that we did not enjoy. Really enjoyed the mimosa's at breakfast! Maria, who is a hostess at the buffet restaurant at the beach is amazing! She remembered us from the first time she met us & was always warm and helpful.

We really enjoyed the live music in the lobby bar at 7pm every evening. The evening entertainment was okay, however I am sure that is was the same (or at least very close) to the same shows they put on at the Barcelo in Ixtapa.

The helpfulness of the front desk staff varies - it really depends on who you get. We had no issues, however our friends did get a run around when they were unhappy with their room.

This is not an overly "active" resort. They do have some daytime activities but overall is more laid back.

The resort is extremely clean! All of the staff, from the gardeners on up, work hard on this!
We love the Huatulco area and would not hesitate returning to the Barcelo again.

Room Tip: If you can afford it choose a ground floor premium room! Worth it!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family