“Huatulco trip 2013”

Barcelo Huatulco
Ranked #6 of 47 Hotels in Huatulco
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 18, 2013

My husband, my self and some friends just returned from this resort. What a beautiful resort. This being my first experience with an all inclusive resort I was not sure what to expect but I loved it. The resort was beautiful, staff very helpful and attentive. Fernando was great with pool side service. My only dissapointments would be lack of chairs at the pool and the hours of the bars. But when you look at the complete picture those two things are minor. Appreciated the adult only pool. Food was great. Quite the variety. Would most likely return. Fernando and Sofia went over and above. I appreciated the clean room too.

Room Tip: Higher floors, above 4th, are the best. Your view is the not blocked. rooms were very clean.The roo...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Donna B

Reviewed March 18, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Barcelo Hualtulco from February 26-March 12th and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Although not fancy, the barcelo is small, clean and has a certain amount of charm. As we have only stayed at 5 and 5 1/2 star resorts before, we were a little worried that we might be dissappointed, however that was not the case. We chose to stay at the Barcelo because it is compact and we both have had injuries to our legs over the past year and we didn't want to walk far distances. The Barcelo was perfect as you could get to your room, the beach, pool ,the theatre and restaurants in just a few minutes.There are not alot of stairs and the stairs which exist can be easily avoided by using ramps or taking a short detour to the elevators.

There are two pools at the resort and they are somewhat on the smaller side, however we didn't find them overly crowded. The pools are an ideal temperature, warm enough to get into easily, yet cool enough to get relief from the intense heat.The adult pool has a swim up bar and the rule of "no kids" is strictly enforced. The 2nd pool has an area which is sectioned off for kids. I didn't bring my inflatable lounge chairs from home because the poos were small, but I wish I had. Drink service around the pools was very poor, in our 14 day stay, someone took our drink order,maybe 6 times. However, the swimup bar and pool bar was in close proximity so we just got our own drinks. I believe the unreliable pool service is the difference between a 4 and 5 star resort.

We didn't spend alot of time on the beach, it was however beautiful.The Barcelo is the only resort we have ever been to which has a life guard on the beach.The red flag was up for 13 of the 14 days we were there. I did however swim in the ocean almost every day and found the water quite calm after getting past the waves pounding on the shore. In my experiance, if a wave
pulled you out, a more intense wave would push you back to shore.The dreams resort is directly beside the barcelo and we found the water to be a little less rough in front of their beach.
The water in the ocean is warm and clear, the sand is fine.

In discussion of the pool and beach area, I must mention the biggest con of the resort which is the insufficient amount of lounge chairs. My husband , as well as many other guests, got up at 6o'clock and sometimes 5:30 in order to ensure we got a chair by the pool. People who got up early, placed towels on their chairs and went back to bed would have their belongings removed.As we were on holidays, it would have been nice to sleep in, however most people who showed up at the pool or beach at 8 o'clock or later spent the day on the concrete slab or sand.
There seemed to be a little room for more chairs around the pool and an unlimited amount of room for more chairs on the beach so I don't understand why the resort doesn't purchase enough chairs for all their guests. We also found that many of the exsisting chairs were broken.

Food at the buffet restaurants was quite good. Although there were always dishes that I wasn't interested in, I found delicious selections at every meal. Although there was not as much variety as a 5 star resort, the selection was sufficient.The Barcelo offers sushi, Mexican, Spanish and steak and seafood a la carte restaurants. We enjoyed them all.

As the majority of their guests fly home on Tuesday, the resort puts on a big BBQ and outdoor show on Monday evenings.I was very impressed with the amount of work the resort goes to.
The table and chairs were set up beautifully and the food was delicious.The tremendous amount of effort that must go into the Monday night BBQ endeared the resort to me.

The bars serve corona beer and we enjoyed the cocktails most of the time. Occasionally we would be served a bahama mama which didn't taste anything like the others, so the drinks were not always consistently made the same way. Both the red and white house wine were fine.

We stayed in room 510 which has a beautiful view of the pools and the ocean beyond it.The room was quite and comfortable with a nice balcony. The bathroom was a little dated, however everything in our room was in good working order.The beds were very comfortable. I heard some complaints from other guesrs regarding not recieving the king beds they requsted, however the fact that we had two double beds didnt bother us.

We thought the nightly shows in the theatre were great. The dancers are extremely talented and the costumes beautiful. We were served a welcoming drink upoun arrival to the show every evening and were delighted when we were also served popcorn.We have stayed at many resorts where one has to show up at the theatre an hour early to get a seat and were pleasantly surprised that this was not the case at the Barcelo. There were good seats available even if one showed up right at 9 o'clock.

One plus about staying at a smaller resort is the ease in which one can make friends. Most of the guests staying at the Barcelo are Canadian and there seems to be great camaraderie among them. Greetings to Linda, Cindy, Al and Ron,Jerry, Debbie, Rick and Marcy,Al and Ileane, Wayne, Len and Ray, Glen aka "Frank the Tank",Valerie, Nick and Gloria. It was wonderful to meet you all and your friendship and the laughs we had made our vacation all the more fun.

Overall we had a great time and we loved the Barcelo. As we never go to the same location twice, we would probably not return . the world is such a big place and there are so many other places to see. I would recommend the Barcelo Hualtulco to others if they adress the problem with the lounge chair shortage. We have also stayed at the Barcelo in Manzanillo and we loved it there so I would definantly stay at and recommend Barcelo resorts to others.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 510 and had a great view of the ocean although the room had 2 double beds instead...
10  Thank RuthWinnipeg
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Susan and I recently returned from a two week stay at the Barcelo Premium Huatulco Beach. We had a wonderful time! Being return visitors, we were welcomed with a very warm reception. The personnel, starting at the top, were always there to assist whenever needed. Luis, Lorenzo, Cesar, Elvira, and Ponton and their staffs were always available to assist us. We were on the west side, which we like for afternoon relaxing in the shade. The weather was fantastic with mountain breeze in the am. and sea breeze from mid morning on. We truly appreciate the ambiance that still embraces the Barcelo and its grounds. We look forward to returning soon!

Room Tip: We like the west side for pm. shade!
4  Thank Dean L
Reviewed March 15, 2013

My husband and I took our daugters family to Huatulco January 5-12, 2013. We have been to the east side of Mexico many times but this was our first trip to the west side so we didn't really know if we would enjoy it as much.

I will say the Barcelo was very accomodating. It is not a brand new resort, like some we have been to but everthing was comfortable. My husband and I had a ground level, beach front room so it was very easy to go back to the room when our grandaughter had to use the bathroom. Our daughter's room was away from ours on the top floor and at first we thought that might be a problem but she had a beautiful view from her room so we really enjoyed going there on occasion. The resort is small in comparison to some we have been to so it is very easy to get around quickly.

The food was about the same as we have had at other resorts. The buffets are not huge but they do have a variety of food. My daughter wanted guacamole and chips, since she had heard it was very good there. All she had to do was ask and they brought us a bowl full. It was delicious! We went to all the specialty restaurants and enjoyed the Mexican the most. Drinks were not the best throughout the resort. Occasionally we would get a good drink but in general I couldn't drink the mixed drinks. I just stayed with beer since you can't go wrong there. Friends said we should have upgraded to the Premier so we would have access to the good alcohol but to be honest I wasn't there to get bombed so it worked out just fine.

The weather was spectacular!! It was in the 90's every day with beautiful sunshine. If you don't like hot you don't want to go here. I always think about the weather we have in Illinois and then I don't sweat as much.

We did venture into La Crucecita for a day and found it to be a nice town. We ate at La Creme in the evening and had a wonderful pizza. They are made in a brick oven and were very delicious.

I would definately return to Huatulco and the Barcelo. It is beautiful country, a nice resort and friendly people. What more could you ask for?

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank IllinoisBridgit
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Thoroughly enjoyed our vacation here. Our first time to Mexico and it impressed us. All the staff were friendly and attentive and some were outstanding at making us feel welcome. Very good food and a la cartes were all great. Appreciated the adult only pool. However, consistently finding a lounge chair that was in good repair was a bit of an issue.We upgrade a premium package and had access to a special lounge. It would benefit from a few more comfortable conversation chairs.

1  Thank Terriuu
Reviewed March 14, 2013

My husband and I took a two week all inclusive at Barcelo Huatulco from Jan .29 to Feb. 12 ,2013
Sun wing flew us there,champagne on board,hot meal,snack ,smooth flight and on time.
Barcelo hotel and resort is OK,a little old ,but comfortable,quiet .Staff is wonderful,all the way from the housekeeper to the Executive chef.If you tip is OK ,if you don't the same,they treat you with respect always( I compare this to Cancun and Mayan Riviera . )
Food is good and plenty . My husband and I went many times to Mexico ,but found Huatulco the best location,with hot,hot weather,the ocean warm and blue .At the resort,mostly Canadians,met couples that have been at Barcelo,6 ,7 and 12 years in a row,and they said that because of the weather.My husband and I will return to Barcelo next year.One thing we did not like ,that the resort did not provide free internet, but acrossthe street ,at the coffee shop,espresso coffee for less than $ 1.50 and free internet ,so we did that.Other than that I recommend the Barcelo Resort ,for the beautiful location, wonderful staff and of course the weather.

Room Tip: Our room was 321 ,had ocean view,bathrobes,nice ,clean and quiet.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Cannadeza
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I read on here before I left about the "old" building, BUT clean and the sub-par food. The building may have been old, but was indeed VERY clean. I thought the food was good and there was always plenty of it. I guess I wonder where these people that gave not very good reviews went because we had no problems at all. We had a barbeque on Monday night that was really good. Staff was very nice - I just think they needed a few more out by the pools and in the swim up bar. The poor guys at the swim up bar were also expected to serve the outside restaurant. The only thing I had an issue with was there were not enough chairs by the pool, the lobby bar wasn't open during the day and there was no bar open outside at night. Most of us people that travel to Mexico (of which Huatulco was the nicest place I had been to in Mexico) go because we are escaping the colder climes of the north, whether we are from Canada or the States. It would be nice to have a bar outside at night. All in all, I thought it was a fantastic place to vacation and probably (hopefully) will be back again. Again, the staff was fantastic!! I hope they receive the recognition that they deserve. They worked very hard.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple