My wife and I are both in our mid 50's travelling alone and this is our second visit to Huatulco for a one week vacation. Last year we stayed at the Dreams Resort which is right next to the Barcelo and thought we would give this place a try for something different. BIG MISTAKE! The Barcelo is at best a 2 1/2 to 3 star resort. Some of the staff is wonderful (Sofia at the La Tortuga Buffet), pool bar atttendant Jimmy and some of the staff. There are many problems with this resort:
ADULT POOL: Adult pool is unsupervised and many small to teenage children used the pool including rough housing and playing catch. One child was left unattended (she was about 3) and one of the guests had to get her out of the water because she was crying. None of her parents were in sight.
SWIM-UP BAR AT THE ADULT POOL: There must be no drinking age in Mexico. My wife and I saw teenagers getting mixed drinks besides the fact they did not belong in the adult pool swim up bar. Service was slow and seemed to cater more to the Mexican tourists rather than the US or Canadian tourist. The Mexican tourist can walk up to the bar and be waited on first while the US/Canadian tourist is left waiting.
FOOD: Avoid the buffets. The two buffet restaurants are small and offer the same food for lunch and dinner every night. Food for the most part was hit or miss with a lot of the items being cold and tasting disgusting.
MAID SERVICE: My wife had to track down the maid everyday to supply our rooms with clean towels. Rooms look old and could use a major re-do.
If I were to travel to Huatulco again, I would certainly consider staying at Dreams or Secrets Resort which just opened last year and is for adults only.
The week we stayed at the Barcelo there was about 85% Mexican tourists to about 15% US/Canadian tourist. This is certainly not a high quality resort by any means.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Barcelo Huatulco invites you to experience the hottest new resort All Inclusive location in Mexico without the hustle and bustle of a big city. Huatulco Bays is quickly becoming a key tourist Mexico beach attraction, offering well-preserved natural landscapes combined with luxury accommodations. This resort is well-positioned in the center of a cove, overlooking dazzling golden beaches and the sapphire blue waters of the Pacific Ocean. Live your dream vacation as you bury your feet in the sand, sip a cool drink and watch the waves roll onto shore. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, BookIt.com, Hotwire, Orbitz, Barcelo, Cancelon, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Barcelo Huatulco reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Barcelo Huatulco Beach Hotel Huatulco
- Barcelo Huatulco Beach Resort
- Barcelo Resort