“We loved this place!”

Barcelo Huatulco
Ranked #6 of 47 Hotels in Huatulco
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed November 29, 2012

We travelled on a Sunwing package from Nov. 20 - 27th from Toronto. Despite hearing of problems with Sunwing previously; everything went very smoothly for us with the only problem being a 1 hour delay leaving Toronto due to fog. Nothing you can do about that! Huatulco airport was small, but efficient and very clean. Good experience there. We loved the Barcelo from the moment we arrived - might add that we have been to many all inclusive resorts. The front desk staff were excellent (particularly, Soraihi?? who helped us to change our room when we discovered the air conditioning was not working well). Had the regular room (535) which overlooked the pool and a sideways view of the bay). It was fine - yes, it is certainly not new but was extremely clean and well maintained. At all times, the staff were pleasant and always asking if there was anything we needed and if we were having a good time! Our favourite restaurant was La Tortuga as it was open air and by the beach and the pool. The food was not fabulous, but we've come to not expect that at any all inclusive resort. Breakfasts were great and there was always something that we liked at lunch or dinner. If you cannot find something that you like, you have a problem. The manager of La Tortuga is a wonderful lady named Sofia who always goes above and beyond to make sure that you are happy! The view of Tangolunda bay is spectacular and the weather was perfect every day. Yes, the beach is quite steep and drops off quite quickly into the water which can be rough sometimes. Care is required. We managed to find a shady spot every day. The hotel was definitely much busier and thus, noisier on the weekend - not unusual. In short, we would love to go back! P.S. Did the bay tour with Elias (beach vendor) and felt it was well worth the money!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
9  Thank jlm1529
There are newer reviews for Barcelo Huatulco

Reviewed November 21, 2012

I stayed at the Barcelo Huatulco Beach Resort in 2010 with my sister and thoroughly enjoyed the whole two weeks. Now I want to travel there again for two weeks but alone, and I am unable to get a price for a singl - e rooms are booked only on double ocupancy. Should I go find a stranger to share a room? This is DISCRIMINATION and absolutely CRAZY as I do like that hotel and want to stay there but unable and unwilling to pay for two person room. GET WITH THE TIMES, PEOPLE TRAVEL ALONE AND I WILL NOT FIND A PARTNER JUST TO HAVE SOMEONE TO SHARE A ROOM. PLEASE CHANGE YOUR RATES AND GET BOOKED TO FULL CAPACITY.

Margaret

Room Tip: We had a wonderful room on the third floor overlooking pool and ocean. Fantastico!
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 17, 2012

My husband and I stayed for the week of November 6-13. The hotel was almost empty the first day but filled up as the week progressed, mostly with tourists from Mexico City. Everyone else seemed to be from Canada. We met some great folks during our stay and had a really good time socializing with them. The tour guides, especially Miguel and Roberto, were really wonderful. We did three excursions: Rough Guide, which is mostly a trip to the local small town, Las Crucicitas, to visit a shop and sample mescal (YUM!), mole and fried grasshoppers if you dare. We also visited a craft coop where we watched local artists making beautiful woolens on ancient looms, had a demonstration of carding and spinning wool, the making of the beautiful local black pottery and the colourful and whimsical local wood carvings. We were also able to see many of the other hotels in the area and the harbour in Santa Cruz where the cruise ships come in. At the end of that trip we had a chance to visit a local jewelry store with gorgeous Mexican silvercraft and visit the local church and town square. Our second excursion was called Paradise Found and consisted of several hours on a catamarn touring along the coast to see the other bays in the area--very beautiful. The pelicans were in the bays fishing that day and we saw a natural blow hole. Then you could either go snorkeling or take a small boat to shore for 2 hours to swim in a gentle surf. The surf at the hotel is quite rough with a strong undertow and a sudden drop off so not something everyone would be comfortable with. This was sort of a 'party boat' trip with tequila shooters, dancing and disco music--not my type of scene at all but we still enjoyed being out on the water and seeing all the sights from that perspective. I would say younger people would enjoy this tour. (We're in our 60's) The only negative was the sand fleas which bite some people a LOT so you have to stay in the water or on a towel to avoid them. I only got one little bite which itched intensely for 10 minutes or so, about like a mosquito bite. The third trip we took was to the El Pacifico Coffee plantation. Before we went to the mountain, our guide stopped in the town of Pochutla, population 30,000, so we could tour a beautiful old church there and go to the local outdoor farmer's market, which was huge. Our guide, Miguel, is from this town and we saw his mother, father, wife, sister and brother-in-law! We proceeded to the coffee plantation which is situated on the side of a volcano amidst lush vegetation including banana, cacao, breadfruit, dragon fruit and other tropical trees. Flowers and butterflies abounded. The coffee is not situated, as you might imagine, in neat rows but is a true example of permaculture. The hillsides are so steep that even a sturdy burro cannot climb them. Local indigenous people harvest the crop twice a year. When we arrived, Senor and Senora Gomez and one of their sons greeted us and presented a coffee tasting complete with freshly baked quesadillas and hibiscus tea. We watched an interesting film about how the coffee is produced and then did about a 1 KM hike up the mountainside to beautiful waterfall. Senor Gomez and Miguel told us many interesting things about the plants and animals of the area and we were treated to a fresh cacoa pod which tastes like lemon candy! When we returned to the plantation we were treated to a lovely buffet luncheon and espresso. We walked around the plantation and learned more of the particulars of how the coffee is produced. We bought 3 Kilos of beans, it is a fine, mellow coffee. This is exactly the kind of thing I had been looking forward to--getting to see how the local people live and interact with them on a more real level than just being a guest in a hotel. The drawbacks to this trip are: it was very hot when you get away from the ocean breeze at the hotel. The roads are rough and unfinished in many places and also quite windy so not advisable for anyone who suffers from motion sickness. Also, the trip is quite long but Miguel helps the time pass quickly with an interesting dialogue of local trivia. The hotel service for the rooms was spotty--we often had to ask several times for things like towels or having our laundry picked up. The rooms were lovely, beds firm but comfortable. You may see the occasional cockroach and/or gecko lizard but if that's going to bother you, you probably should go somewhere other than Mexico for your holiday. We found the buffet food more than adequate--made-to-order omelets every morning including salmon and cream cheese or more local flavors, masses of fresh fruit, bacon, sausage, a vast array of salad items, fresh fish at lunch. You can usually dine in air conditioned comfort at the Dona Rosa or out by the pool at La Tortuga with a nice breeze to keep you cool at breakfast and lunch. Next time we go we will do the upgrade to a premium club membership so we can dine in the a la carte restaurants every night--they were all excellent. We had to go across the street to the Italian Coffee Company for our lattes or mochas but they are included if you get the premium membership. ($15 a day per person). The staff, for the most part, was very friendly and helpful. Remember that Huatulco is far from North America and quite isolated. Most people don't speak any English, so brush up on your Spanish if you can. If there is anything you can't live without (we missed our dark chocolate and coconut oil) bring it with you because, chances are, you will not be able to buy it locally. We drank tap water and ate everything all week and had no stomach upset the entire trip. We did take probiotics for a month prior to the holiday. The worst part of the trip for me was the flight. The best part was the coffee plantation, the local flora and fauna we saw, and the people we met.

Room Tip: If you're on the 4th or 5th floor you are at eye level with the tops of the palm trees and will...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Grace M
Reviewed November 3, 2012

My family and me have been treated excellent. Food was great, staff friendly and the scenery fabulous. The bay hopping tour by boat that I contracted with some guys on the beach wasn't worth it. Short overcharged trip to a dirty beach with expensive restaurants, should have spent the day in the resort.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
9  Thank MexicoMrobjective
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I'm a Mexican resident but I'll write my review in english since many people from other countries visit this amazing place.

This is our second time here and I found it much better than the first one.
The warming reception is good, you receive a "welcome drink" while checking in and the front desk ladies explain everything including the "VIP" option that is around $14usd pp/pn, nothing fancy really, you can survive if you buy the "all inclusive" pack.

Hotel is in good conditions, its quite old but they are always doing something to keep it in good shape.
Rooms are big and very clean, with a nice balcony, beds are comfortable, and you really don´t need the AC to keep it cool at night since the bedrooms are cool enough.
Bathroom size is ok, just would be nice to have a exhaust fan inside.
The room has a fridge that is filled 2 times a day.

Food is good, you can find "almost" the same everyday at breakfast and lunch but dinners are different every night.
Also you have the "Special Restaurants" were you need to make a reservation to eat there (spanish, chinese and mexican food), we tried the "Spain cuisine" that was really good.

Drinks are ok in all the bars, I got surprised of the amount of alcohol they can serve you, believe, you will not be dissapointed.
If you pay the VIP you can drink selected brands, but the AI is perfect.
Even if you choose to take the sun in the beach, there's a guy that goes every 10 minutes to ask if you need more drinks...really great!!

All the people there is amazing with the visitors, they are always asking if you are ok, if you need something else and make you feel important...jejeje...

Try to stay in "low-season", you will find not much kids (specially if you are travelling in a honeymonn or in couple)....this is a familiar hotel...just be aware..
For sure we will come back in the future.

Room Tip: Ask a room with beach view, and in the first floor...you can enjoy a hammock. If you preffer some p...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
12  Thank AlfredoH1
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I went with a friend's family, 5 total, 3 adults and 2 kids over Christmas/New Years 2012. The first night we were there the 3 adults got sick, I suspect the ice or margaritas from the pool bar (yeah, yeah don't do ice, etc.) I mean bad, both ends. Next day the kids, 4 & 6, got it. Probably norvovirus, like on cruise ships, which basically this place is, except on land. So I'm lying in bed at 10pm, suffering and I hear chiseling...some IDIOT was working on the tile by the pool, just off my balcony!! I mean banging away. So I call the front desk...hour later it's STILL happening. So I go down and speak with Coral, and then take her outside and show her!! Things just went south from there. The rooms they gave us were right by the HVAC, and the compressor pulley and belt screeched all night! Said they were full, couldn't move us. The breakfast buffet was so unappealing we ate off site. They even screwed-up my massage appt. We complained, they wanted a doctor's note about being sick, cause we wanted a rate adjustment (we were sick 48 hrs.). They finally offered us gift towels!! Are you kidding??? We had been in country for over 2 weeks and had been just fine until we arrived at this hole. BTW My friend used to work at Sheraton, training people. He was appalled at the service and the hotel in general. I will never stay in a Barcelo property again and I travel a lot! You have been warned!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
15  Thank Octavio D
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I spent 2 nights on 2 different weekends in the middle of a one week business trip to the area. I really like the beautiful scenary and the ambiance. The staff are very attentive and the food and drinks are plentiful.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo