“Fantastic experience”

Barcelo Huatulco
Ranked #6 of 48 Hotels in Huatulco
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed November 3, 2012

My family and me have been treated excellent. Food was great, staff friendly and the scenery fabulous. The bay hopping tour by boat that I contracted with some guys on the beach wasn't worth it. Short overcharged trip to a dirty beach with expensive restaurants, should have spent the day in the resort.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
9  Thank MexicoMrobjective
Write a ReviewReviews (3,992)

Reviewed October 22, 2012

I'm a Mexican resident but I'll write my review in english since many people from other countries visit this amazing place.

This is our second time here and I found it much better than the first one.
The warming reception is good, you receive a "welcome drink" while checking in and the front desk ladies explain everything including the "VIP" option that is around $14usd pp/pn, nothing fancy really, you can survive if you buy the "all inclusive" pack.

Hotel is in good conditions, its quite old but they are always doing something to keep it in good shape.
Rooms are big and very clean, with a nice balcony, beds are comfortable, and you really don´t need the AC to keep it cool at night since the bedrooms are cool enough.
Bathroom size is ok, just would be nice to have a exhaust fan inside.
The room has a fridge that is filled 2 times a day.

Food is good, you can find "almost" the same everyday at breakfast and lunch but dinners are different every night.
Also you have the "Special Restaurants" were you need to make a reservation to eat there (spanish, chinese and mexican food), we tried the "Spain cuisine" that was really good.

Drinks are ok in all the bars, I got surprised of the amount of alcohol they can serve you, believe, you will not be dissapointed.
If you pay the VIP you can drink selected brands, but the AI is perfect.
Even if you choose to take the sun in the beach, there's a guy that goes every 10 minutes to ask if you need more drinks...really great!!

All the people there is amazing with the visitors, they are always asking if you are ok, if you need something else and make you feel important...jejeje...

Try to stay in "low-season", you will find not much kids (specially if you are travelling in a honeymonn or in couple)....this is a familiar hotel...just be aware..
For sure we will come back in the future.

Room Tip: Ask a room with beach view, and in the first floor...you can enjoy a hammock. If you preffer some p...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
12  Thank alfredo h
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I went with a friend's family, 5 total, 3 adults and 2 kids over Christmas/New Years 2012. The first night we were there the 3 adults got sick, I suspect the ice or margaritas from the pool bar (yeah, yeah don't do ice, etc.) I mean bad, both ends. Next day the kids, 4 & 6, got it. Probably norvovirus, like on cruise ships, which basically this place is, except on land. So I'm lying in bed at 10pm, suffering and I hear chiseling...some IDIOT was working on the tile by the pool, just off my balcony!! I mean banging away. So I call the front desk...hour later it's STILL happening. So I go down and speak with Coral, and then take her outside and show her!! Things just went south from there. The rooms they gave us were right by the HVAC, and the compressor pulley and belt screeched all night! Said they were full, couldn't move us. The breakfast buffet was so unappealing we ate off site. They even screwed-up my massage appt. We complained, they wanted a doctor's note about being sick, cause we wanted a rate adjustment (we were sick 48 hrs.). They finally offered us gift towels!! Are you kidding??? We had been in country for over 2 weeks and had been just fine until we arrived at this hole. BTW My friend used to work at Sheraton, training people. He was appalled at the service and the hotel in general. I will never stay in a Barcelo property again and I travel a lot! You have been warned!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
15  Thank Octavio D
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I spent 2 nights on 2 different weekends in the middle of a one week business trip to the area. I really like the beautiful scenary and the ambiance. The staff are very attentive and the food and drinks are plentiful.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Mike-T0417
Reviewed September 3, 2012

I am a travel agent and stayed at the Barcelo Huatulco Beach Resort last week for two nights. What a great property in a fabulous area of Mexico! I LOVED the Mexcian feel this property had. The location was great, the staff was awesome and the grounds were beautiful. My only suggestion to the management is to update the bathrooms and sooner than later, the rooms.

I loved the premium club - the staff, food and alchohol choices were great! The nightclub was SO MUCH FUN! I had a blast with all the other agents and all the guests from Mexico!

I can't wait to send my clients to this property and I will definitely be back in the future!

Room Tip: Upgrade to the Premium level!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
8  Thank kmenne
Reviewed July 15, 2012

¡Fantastico! Todo incluido, personal muy atento, comida rica, muchas cosas k hacer, linda playa, preciosa ... Worth going, everything included, good food, great staff, attentive and informative, lovely location, lots to do, clean sea, no negative aspects

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
8  Thank Tiggy T
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Susan and I returned to the Barcelo Huatulco for what has become our annual anniversary trip. We arrived to a great welcome June 8. Huatulco in June is a great place to be. A couple of short rains, but that is what brings out the beautiful foliage and blooms. We were at the beginning of the butterfly migration which is also amazing. We would recommend this time of the year for a very relaxing time.
We are sure you will experience the wonderful treatment that begins upon arrival.The check in staff is friendly and efficient. Thank you Luis, Lorenzo, Celso, Amado, Chris, Humberto, Cecilio, Noe, and the rest of the Barcelo staff. We look forward to our return later this year!

Room Tip: We like the southwest corner!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple