“Finally able to eat here!”
Review of EL GRILLO MARINERO

EL GRILLO MARINERO
Ranked #3 of 182 Restaurants in Huatulco
Cuisines: Mexican, Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 31, 2013

We have tried on our last several trips to Huatulco to eat at this restaurant but since it closes early (8:00 pm), never were able to make it there on time. Well, this year we finally did it and it was well worth it! We were the only patrons in the place, back table with the owner (I'm assuming) and some of his friends. We ordered the shrimp cooked in garlic and oil which was wonderful. My daughter ordered octopus but she wasn't daring enough to have it in it's own ink. Very good and could've fed two people easily. Glad we finally were able to dine here and will try to get into town early enough on future visits to dine here again.

2  Thank playamomma

Reviewed March 19, 2013

I had seen this restaurant on "Bizzare Foods" and just had to try it. Nothing bizzare. but the food was excellent. Very local feel to the place as there were a few "local Dons" setting in the back corner, partaking in conversation, tequila and some good cigars. I liked the fact that there was a partially covered NO FUMAR sign on the wall, but I enjoyed the cigar smoke as it added to the local feel..BTW I do like to partake in a good stoogie every so often, especially in Mexico.
We were presented with a backet of fried tortillas and a very picante (habanero) salsa. My wife had the mahi-mahi in butter and garlic and I had the mixed seafood (shrimp, octopus and sea snail) in olive oil and garlic, both dishes had very large portions. Entres came with a nice helping of mexican rice and sliced tomatoes, avacado and sweet onions. I had three Pacificos (very very cold) and my wife had a Diet. The very reasonalble bill came to $310 MP.
On our next trip to Huatulco I will definately make a return trip to El Gilllo Marinero. Local-good food-cold beer.

1  Thank DonCarlos
Reviewed February 11, 2013

WE had read about the fresh red snapper cooked here (cooked in butter and garlic) We were not disappointed , it was very delicious (enough for 2 to share) When I ordered it, the owner came out to show me the actual fish. Though their English is limited, I found all the people working here to be friendly and anxious to please. The restaurant is clean and popular.

1  Thank perky149
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Roberto Hernandez of Yellowfin Fishing recommended this restaurant for seafood and it was excellent. We went three times during our month stay and always had an excellent meal and something better than the last visit. The whole red snapper cooked in butter and garlic was probably the best fish we had anywhere. As non Spanish speaking customers we had no trouble making ourselves understood to the staff when the English speaking son was not available. With the help of pictures and sign language and a lot of laughter we ordered an amazing lunch. Our lunch companions ranged in age from 2 years to 73 years of age and as many as 7 people at a time. We would definely recommend trying the great fish. A really nice and very clean lunch spot.

Reviewed December 28, 2012

The palm leaf (palapa) roof open restaurant is rated very high by locals and is in the heart (centro) of the little town la Crucecita, and it was fine. You won't get sick here. The non-Spanish speaking tourists may probably not appreciate the atmosphere that much. You practically have to guess what the menu is really offering and for this you might need to speak some Spanish. However, pictures on menu and walls help. I suggest whole fish cooked in garlic (al ajo), and the whole shrimp. Yum yum. Do not put the habanera sauce on your food as this will practically send you into cardiac arrest. I Made the mistake of putting it on the chip and had to immediately run to the kitchen area and they gave me salt and lemon to shave the effects. Probably would go back mainly because fresh, safe and cheap. This will help economize your trip.

1  Thank Fjbsnr1