“Expecting OK, Received WOW”
Review of Kristal Rose

Kristal Rose
Ranked #50 of 176 Restaurants in Huatulco
Cuisines: Mexican, International
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Romantic, Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Air conditioning, grill, terrace, wines and coctels
“Expecting OK, Received WOW”
Reviewed February 11, 2014

My family and I were not expecting much as you never now what the standards are in comparison to Canada or USA. But I can say WOW, everyone's meal was huge, flavourful, served with a smile and impressed us so much we went back again within the week we were in Mexico. My daughter loved the chicken soup, the grill fish smelled and tasted great same with the chicken, my youngest wanted chicken fingers they had no problem accommodating, ceases salad is a must have along with the apple strudel. You can tell the owner has a passion for the resultant business.

• Visited February 2014

Edmonton, Canada
“Are you kidding me, 2 hours to get main course?”
Reviewed February 8, 2014

Let me start by saying we wanted to try this restaurant as we heard many great things about it from friends and through Trip Advisor.

We went with a group of 8 people and had reservations for the evening. Five people in our group were here earlier in the week and raved about the food and service. When we arrived, another large group showed up at the same time. This could have caused some confusion with the staff but cannot confirm this. We were quickly seated at our table and drink orders taken and delivered. Orders for food were taken shortly after drinks arrived.

Four of us ordered ceasar salads. Approximately a half hour later, a small table was setup for the salads to be made in front of us. Watching the process was an excruciating half an hour. I have been to other restaurants that have made the same salad at the table but they only took 5 to 10 minutes from start to finish.

Approximately 45 minutes after we finished the salad our meals were delivered, or should I say the meals that were prepared on the grill. My wife ordered a pasta dish and I ordered baked Mahi-Mahi. We, and others, had to ask a few times where was our meal. The staff seemed confused and seemed not to know what happened. They finally figured out it was waiting in the kitchen. Our meals were finally delivered about 5 to 10 minutes after everyone else received their's. While everyone else was raving about how good their meals were, we were not impressed. My wife's pasta was cold but she refused to send it back as she feared it would be another hour before she was able to eat. Was it made as soon as the order was submitted and sat there under a heat lamp for an hour and a half? We will never know. My baked Mahi-Mahi came in a cast iron bowl and was completely covered in liquid. My expectation of baked fish was never a fish soup. I was disappointed but have to admit it was flavorful.

In between all this, my wife noticed the grill cook had run out a couple of times to get liquor and other things. Our friends were completely shocked at the service we all experienced that evening.

I am not one to normally complain and really hope I don't sound like I am picking on every little detail. I suspect the service we received at this restaurant is not normal but did want to share our experience.

My wife and I do plan to go back to Huatulco but will we visit this restaurant again? I don't know.

• Visited January 2014
Winnipeg, Canada
“Very Good”
Reviewed January 19, 2014

Very big portions. Their kabobs can feed 2 people, if you have average appetite of course. Very good kabobs. We had 2 different salads very good, spinach and beet one. Their homemade ice cream very good. One portion is good for 2 people.

• Visited January 2014
Calgary, Canada
“Great food, great service, a bit pricey”
Reviewed November 30, 2013 via mobile

Our taxi driver took us to this place for lunch. It was a very hot and humid day, so the air condition was nice. The location is a few blocks away from the main part of downtown with all of the other shops and restaurants, but it was still very nice inside and safe.

I think they only have a breakfast menu and a dinner menu so I thought the portion for lunch from the dinner menu was bit big. The food was excellent! I had pasta with bolognese sauce and my husband had the chicken parmesan and everything was prepared perfectly. The only bad thing I can say is that it was pricey for lunch. For the 2 entrees and and 4 margaritas (also excellent by the way) and a generous tip it was 900 pesos.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank Kelsey M
Phoenix
“Best Beef in Huatulco!”
Reviewed September 13, 2013

We had dinner at the Kristal Rose. I was told about the excellent food, particularly the steaks which are cooked on an outdoor grill. The selection of steaks and seafood are brought out on a large platter for you to choose from. I ordered the filet and my companion ordered the ribeye. I ordered my filet rare and it came cooked perfectly rare. I ordered my filet with the Chipolte Bleu Cheese sauce. It was excellent! My filet came with a baked potato (also cooked on the outdoor grill) and vegetables.

We started with the Caesar salad which was made from scratch right at our table. It was excellent! I highly recommend getting this salad as a starter.

Wines are only sold by the bottle. We ordered a bottle of Cabernet from Chili. It was very good and the price is reasonable.

The atmosphere at this restaurant is excellent. It is nicely air conditioned which was important since we were here in September when it was still very hot. There was nice music in the background. The restaurant is clean and comfortable.

The service here was impeccable.

The prices are very reasonable, particularly for the quality of food that you receive. Our total tab for a bottle of wine, Caesar salad, bottle of water, a ribeye and a filet was $65.

• Visited September 2013