“Magical”
Review of Cuixmala

Cuixmala
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Careyes
Reviewed April 23, 2013

This holiday was magical. I want to do it all over again. I spent 10 days of cheer joy. I didn't want to leave. The riding amongst the animals and the walks on the mile long beach front to visit the baby turtles. The food is delicious and the staff are always smiling and happy to please.
The most beautiful grounds and so much to do everyday. The property has its own private beaches I recommend picnics at Caleta Blanca.
I feel regenerated and can't wait to return to my favourite paradise.

Room Tip: I recommend Casitas and Casa Torre and La Loma is magnificent
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Tlavers

Reviewed May 19, 2011

What more can you ask for? Impeccable service, beautifully designed villas, private beaches, perfectly prepared fresh seafood and organic everything.....I hope heaven is as good. We love Mexico and have been to several 5 Star resorts and Cuixmala is hands-down our favorite. As a bonus, consider the option of their chartered plane taking you from Cuixmala's private airstrip to their sister property Hacienda de San Antonio. Although all very different, we put Cuixmala in the same league as some of our other favorite properties; Hotel Bel Air, Le Meurice, Hotel Gritti Palace.
The other wonderful thing about Cuixmala is how safe and secure it is, even though I truly believe safety concerns in this part of Mexioc are greatly exaggerated.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
8  Thank LoveTheLuxeLife
Reviewed March 15, 2010

Cuixmala is the place of dreams. It is so peaceful, so unique, so beautiful. After a long drive, the last part over some pretty rough road, we arrived at our casita in Cuixmala. We were greeted by the staff that we would come to know during out stay there. Once we got there we never wanted to leave. The staff is courteous and professional and helpful. The food at Casa Gomez is fantastic, often a fresh catch is prepared for you if you wish. Most of the food is provided by the farm at their sister property. There is so much to enjoy and see on this one of a kind property- you must see it for yourself. Until you get there it is hard to believe that life on a coastal coconut plantation, with zebras, crocodiles and coatis for company could be so luxurious.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
5  Thank seenitChicago
Reviewed August 22, 2009

We didn't stay in the 'big house' (La Loma) or even the smaller houses, but in the casitas, but they were spacious, generous and gloriously decorated. Perfect for my wife and I and our two grown up kids. The pictures on the website don't do justice to the reality - but isn't that the case for most holidays? From the police escort from the unmarked entrance to leaving we were made to feel like celebs - just the right level of everything. Discreet, helpful, friendly, perfect.
There was everything there that we could have wanted, but we were there just to relax and have a last 'family' holiday, get up in the morning, swim or run, eat a modest breakfast yogurt, fruit, cereal, maybe eggs, toast - hang out round the pool, read, my wife went on nature walks, horseriding, great trip on the water spotting crocs, a snack at lunch time, more chilling out, dinner - whatever the chef wanted to cook us, then a spot of BBC World or a DVD, then bed. I was OK without nightlife and eating out - we didn't explore the local area much.
And the highlight - the day at their private beach about a 20 minute drive from Cuixmala. We were the only people there, magical. And at the appointed time the staff suddenly appear to cook lunch, then disappear.
I guess we were very lucky to be there at this particular time what with fear of swine flu and the recession meant we only experienced the place with very few guests and I don't know whether the personal attention we got from the staff would have been possible if the place was fuller. And for me it's the service that made it.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank sub60
Reviewed November 28, 2008

This is the type of place you almost don't want to tell people about, because it's so good you want to keep it to yourself.

Cuixmala is best described as complete heaven on Earth. It was exactly what we were looking for and everything from the rooms to the staff to the food was EXCELLENT. This is not your typical vacation, it is a luxury resort...but it is in the middle of some pretty wild terrain. There are a lot of animals, and it's definitely suited towards outdoorsy types who are looking for a combination of nature and relaxing luxury. We relaxed with margaritas at the pool, had ceviche at the private beach (about a half hours drive away), and we also saw crocodiles and zebras in the forrest. One night we released newly hatched baby sea turtles in to their new ocean home. It was amazing!!

We rented a one bedroom casita, and it was fantastic. We would love to return with friends and rent one of the bigger casas. The food was some of the best food I've ever had - anywhere, anytime, and I would say that the best thing to do is let them surprise you with the meals. A large part of the enjoyment for us was how we were surprised every night with a different selection of food. The price of the food (a daily charge per person) was worth every penny. We didn't have to worry about a thing the whole time, the staff takes care of everything and it's so relaxing and laid back.

To be honest, there's a lot to do there...from horseback riding to lagoon tours, but it is also the type of place where you could easily sit by the pool all day every day and be happy. My husband took bike rides and hikes in the morning, while I slept in and lazed around on the porch drinking coffee. We spent days at the beach (fantastic!!!) and swimming in the gorgeous pool.

Although the rooms are extremely nice and have all you could need (a mini bar, satellite tv, and ipod and dock etc) the resort is remote, there are mostly dirt roads, and it is very much in the middle of nature. It is perfect for those looking to "get away from it all", and who aren't afraid of lizards! It is about 45-60 minutes drive from Manzanillo, and although we are comfortable driving in Mexico I can see that some people would not be. Cuixmala can arrange transportation however, by car or plane, to the resort. It would benefit you to have a car on site though.

The staff, particularly Maria, was wonderful and this is a place we will most definitely return to....hopefully as soon as possible. It is truly, truly unique and wonderful in every way. I had very high expectations, and it exceeded all of them. I LOVED Cuixmala.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
5  Thank amylou718
Reviewed January 24, 2008

I took the 3ish hr flight from LAX to Manzanillo in Mexico... 45 minutes later my friend and I were at Cuixmala, in our beautiful villa overlooking miles of palm trees and the ocean beyond. I felt like I was a million miles away.

Cuixmala is definitely a unique and beautiful place to unwind. At first I found it a bit unsetting (no cell phone signal, no internet), but once I adjusted, I found the isolation to be a godsend! I was able to totally 'switch off' and unwind.

We spent 3 days at the resort - one day we went horseback riding, and another we spent on the private beach. There were other things to do - golf nearby, a lagoon trip (see the crocodiles!), and in-villa massages - but I chose to spend my days reading and lazing by our pool!

The staff was great, and our private kitchen staff was excellent. (some of the best margaritas I've had!) We laid out in the sun, watched the sunsets from our porch, and generally lazed around, which was exactly what I needed!

I would recommend Cuixmala to anyone looking for a truly beautiful to relax. The villas are great for groups, too - I'm planning about going back with a larger group this spring.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with friends
3  Thank abdavis7
Reviewed January 16, 2008

A friend and I stayed at Cuixmala for 3-nights in Alborada, a 4-bedroom villa overlooking the jungle and the Pacific. The experience was phenomenal. We spent an entire day with guests from the other villas at the most beautiful private beach. We went snorkeling and kayaking, played volleyball, lounged in tent cabanas and hammocks, and had a BBQ with the owner and some of his friends.

One morning, we went horseback riding on the beach and through the coconut and mango groves, eating fruit right off the tree. While on horseback, we saw zebras, gazelles and tejones. We also visited the sea turtle conservation center, where thousands of eggs were being protected and about to hatch.

The staff was amazing, particularly Maria who dealt with all of the details of our trip. We had three staff members who took care of us and the villa (housekeeping, laundry, meal, etc). We had the majority of our meals at the villa in either the dining room or on the balcony overlooking the pool and the jungle. All the food was organic, either grown at Cuixmala or at the sister property, Hacienda de San Antonio. I really miss the guacamole and having margaritas in our private pool while the sun slipped into the Pacific.

Recommendations:

- If you can afford it, I would definitely recommend renting a villa. It would be perfect for a family or for a group of friends.

- You can’t book online. You need to call the property to book your reservation because each stay is customized to the guest.

- The drive from Manzanillo airport was less 45 minutes. You can rent a car or request that someone pick you up from the resort. The property is so big that having a car would be beneficial.

- Although there is not a full service spa, you can have massages on the balcony of your villa.

- If golf is your thing, there are courses within 45 minutes.

This place was a prefect break from LA. I can't wait to go back. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
7  Thank taemtay
Also consider these accommodations in or near Careyes
Careyes
#1 of 3 in Isla Navidad
Punta Serena
Punta Serena
#1 of 3 in Tenacatita

Been to Cuixmala? Share your experiences!