“alive in acapulco for enjoyed”

The Grand Mayan Acapulco
Ranked #2 of 169 Hotels in Acapulco
Reviewed January 7, 2011

The Grand Mayan is an excellent resort to which we would be very happy to return someday. I'd say we're pretty choosy when it comes to our vacation accomodations. Some places we've stayed include The Four Seasons in Kona, Cap Jaluca in Anguilla...many/most of the RCI Gold Crown resorts are not places we would consider to be "posh". Though the Grand Mayan has what we consider to be some relatively small flaws, overall this is an excellent resort. It is meticulously maintained. It is very well designed and thought out in terms of the layout. (The kids pool area is on the south side of the property, with only 1 way out/in, so it's easily protected, and separated from the rest of the pools by the beach service building where food/drinks were provided to the pool area wait staff.) The finishes/fixtures are beautiful and modernized. Housekeeping was excellent. The pools were outstanding. The sand on the beach is like talcum powder (but HOT so bring sandals) and the water warm. There was a long sandbar in front of the resort making for really great boogie boarding. (December in Acapulco has excellent weather, and a bit of surf. Rainy season is about May-early Nov.) Lots of rentals on the beach, including 4 wheelers, horses, boogie boards, surfboards. I didn't see wave runners. You'll need to go up to Acapulco Bay if you want to do that, I think. Cyber Cafe, Mondo Arcade, and the disco with pool tables were very entertaining in the evening. This is an EXCELLENT choice for families travelling with small children and teens, but it's NOT a kiddie-resort by any means! I could see a couple here on their honeymoon as well since Acapulco is really a romantic and scenic place. Somehow even though the resort was booked 100% for the holiday, we never felt like it was all that crowded (except occasionally by the pool). And our experience with the staff is that if you treat them with kindness, friendliness and respect, they will likewise treat you in this same way. We had only very positive experiences with every staff and housekeeping person we met. As owners at a different property in The Registry Collection, we were entitled use of all the facilities including the Brio fitness center and spa, as well as the lazy river. Otherwise there would have been fees to use these facilities.
outstanding in every way, became a good friend, baldo G.omez. Immediately responsive to every email prior to our trip to coordinate with us. Punctual and reliable for every pickup. Knows the places to go, and the right people to get the best tables, reservations, stores, etc. He made suggestions but never pushed an agenda in any way. His English is better than many native speakers. His vehicle is spacious, and air conditioned. He is extremely pleasant and respectful. And most importantly, Baldo is a Mexican licensed/certified tour guide, which is a credential that took him 3 years to achieve. Additionally, he's a fifth generation Acapulcan native, which means he really knows his way around, and all the people to meet/avoid.You won't be disappointed. baldo-work@hotmail.com. His rates are very reasonable. Before booking with any driver (and you really MUST get one in Acapulco) you should ask them if they are licensed in this way. His city tour was wonderful and Baldo knows the history of Acapulco in great depth, if you want to hear about it. Not all the drivers are allowed into the porte cochere at the Grand Mayan for pickup/dropoff. Baldo is permitted. Otherwise you need to traverse down to the taxi stand on the street outside the resort to meet your driver. Very inconvenient, trust me. Contact Baldo.

1  Thank deni_ka-iser
Write a ReviewReviews (2,032)

Reviewed January 6, 2011

Great property, great rooms and pools, Staff goes out of their way. Food quality excellent. Make sure you get Roberto Alarcon ahead of time for airport transport, tours, and evening dinners. Taxis are crooks and not trustworthy. Roberto made our trip!! Feel free to email me for details. snjindal@aol.com

Reviewed January 3, 2011

Service: phenomenal! Truly whatever you want or need, the staff will get it for you! Spanish and English speaking staff to make your travel experience what you want it to be. Lots of bars/restaurants on site. Reflecting pool will take your breath away every time you see it. Room was fabulous. Our one bedroom was about 650 square ft with a 350 square ft balcony. Dipping pool was cold...but remarkably refreshing! Pool had more than enough chaise lounge chairs toaccommodate everyone. Kiddie pool looked to be a lot of fun for your young ones. Room service was a treat; make sure you use it at least once! Drawback: no local shops nearby. You have to go to the other side of the bay to hit 'real Acapulco'. Before you go: hire Roberto Alarcon robertoalrey@yahoo.com.mx) as your driver. He will tend to your every need, including making all reservations for you! Speaks terrific English if you need it. VERY friendly and personable. Also serves as your personal photographer! Will take you anywhere and everywhere you need/want to go. Reasonable prices.

Reviewed December 22, 2010

My husband and I traveled with two dear friends to the Grand Mayan, Acapulco for two weeks beginning Dec 3, 2010. We had a very nice time. The resort is lovely, our unit was a two bedroom (very nice) but could use some attention to replacing the decor. After reading many articles about the problems in Mexico, we were a bit concerned regarding our safety. However, we really did not need to worry. Benjamin Alcaron was our guide and driver and assured us we were perfectly safe. Benjamin took us into Acapulco on a city tour, to see the divers and the chapel as well as other sights. He also took us to dinner outings and to Walmart as well as picking us up and dropping us off at the airport. We felt perfectly safe. We would recommend Benjamin Alcarcon (benjamin_alarcon@yahoo.com) as a wonderful guide and driver. We would use him again when we return to Acapulco.
The beach at the Grand Mayan is still as lovely as we remembered. The lobby had just reopened and had a lovely nativity scene centered in the main pond overlooking the beach. The front entrance was being redone but opened before we left.
We are golfers and enjoyed playing the golf course very much. The back nine was open and we played it twice (for 18 holes). Gabriel is the new manager and was wonderful to us. Before we left, the front 9 opened so we got to play the full 18 holes.
The sunsets from our balcony were gorgeous and we enjoyed our trip immensely.
We were disappointed the Fiesta at the resort was canceled - when we were visiting, there were not very many Americans or Canadians there - much different from when we visited previously. There were many Mexican families at the resort visiting from Mexico City - all very nice people.
The only negative we experienced was from the time-share people who enticed us to go on a presentation promising a percentage off our entire bill and reduced golf fees. The promise was not accurate.

Reviewed December 20, 2010

The Grand Mayan is a pristine property located in the New Acapulco. The grounds are manicured to perfection and is something out of a postcard. It has great pools and the beach is amazing. The ocean waves weren't too bad and there wasn't a strong undertow, contrary to a lot of reviews I have read. The hotel staff is very friendly and helpful and always hard working. The food is pretty good, but there isn't many restaurants or food choices to choose from.

We had a 2 bedroom unit for 3 of us and it was more than enough space. The rooms are beautiful with tile and stone and a full kitchen. The only complaint about the rooms are the beds. It's like sleeping on plywood. The couches that turn into beds in the living area are much more comfortable.

The only real knock on the hotel is the lack of entertainment. During the day there is the pools and beach. At night, with the exception of one bar/club, there is absolutely nothing to do. And there really isn't any kind of entertainment in the immediate area. Everything seems to be happening in Old Acapulco. That's where Roberto Alarcon comes in.

We found Roberto Alarcon though several positive reviews in Trip Advisor readings about the hotel. Roberto is a private taxi driver who offers his services anytime of day or night. We used him for trips to and from the airport, Walmart, three separate dinners in town, and on a 6 hour sight seeing excursion. He is the most friendly, personable, reliable, and knowledgable person we met. He suggested different restaurants and informed us of the quality and cleanliness of any we asked about. He called ahead for restaurants and reserved prime tables. He showed us a great tour of the city and answered all our questions all the time. He has a Blackberry at all times and was very easy to communicate with when we wanted to change plans. If we didn't have Roberto, our trip would have been maybe one fifth as much fun and we certainly wouldn't have left the resort. He made us feel very safe, as the drivers in Acapulco are insane. We all felt like part of his own family. I strongly suggest getting Roberto. He will only enhance your Acapulco experience. He is certainly well worth the money!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank rick31877
Reviewed December 20, 2010

Our family of 8 spent 2 weeks at the Grand Mayan...and grand it is!! We had beautiful rooms looking over the ocean, a plunge pool on our deck and a serviceable kitchen. The water park and lazy river were great for the kids. Beautiful oceanfront and very kind and helpful staff. A great vacation made better by our tour guide, Sebastian Hernandez (eskp_s
rsh@hotmail.con) He picked us up from the airport, made sightseeing arrangements, dinner reservations and guided us about Acapulco. We felt safe at all times. His services were invaluable and his English was excellent. The kids loved him!!! He made everything fun for them and the adults had a great time too!!!

1  Thank sfield1
Reviewed December 19, 2010

My wife and I just got back form our stay at Grand Mayan, Acapulco and we were very very pleased with the resort. We stayed on an RCI exchange which was a gift from my parents. My parents have been RCI "weeks" members for over 20 years so I have been to a lot of member resorts, and this ranks right up there with some of the best resorts that I have been to with RCI.
Unlike some other posts I saw on here we had almost zero pressure to attend a "tour/sales pitch", we were asked to attend when we first checked in and I said "thanks" but we will pass, they asked again and I said "i don't think so but I will give you a call if I change my mind" and we never got asked one more time on the rest of our stay! They gave us a list of "reduced price" excursions if we attended the meeting. It appeared that the reduced price exursions were about 25%-50% higher than you would get from one of the "tour guides"(we used Baldo) that are mentioned all over this site.

We exchanged for a 2 bedroom and were given a "garden view" and I immediately asked to see if they had availability for "Ocean View". I was told not three was no 2 bedroom availability with an ocean view so I said I would be willing to give up our 2 bedroom for a 1 bedroom with an Ocean view, after I stated this they said to call the next day, and speak to the "front desk manager". It felt litke they were blowing me off but I called the next morning and I was told no but they would put me on a "waiting list". At this point my wife and I completely unpacked as we assumed they were blowing us off again, but low and behold that evening they called us and moved us the next morning to an Ocean view room(thumbs up Grand Mayan staff!),

The rooms were great, nice sized kitchenette, modern art, nice large bathrooms, nice large master bedroom fantastic balcony and a small pool on the balcony(about the size of a 4 person hot tub, w/o the hot water). The two bedroom would be perfect for two adult couples as the bedrooms still offer quite a bit of room and privacy and the main living area and balcony has more than enough sitting area for 4 people. Although the two bedrrom would be nice for a couple with a couple of small children it would not be neccesary. The two large couches serve very nicely as a bed and they also have pullouts, if given the choice between a two bedroom "Garden view" and a one bedroom with "Ocean view" I would have no issue having my two toddler girls sleep on the couches(in reality they would probably sleep with Mom, and I would sleep on the couch)

The main entrance area was under construction when we were there which was too bad becuase from what we could see it was spectacuar. We were pretty impressed with the resort overall, it was fairly slow when we were there(though it seemed busier than almost any other resort), beach was huge and clean, the "vendors" were camped right off the steps to the beach but we never really felt like we were harrassed much at all. If we said no they seemed to leave us alone! Pool area and water park were fantastic never had a problem getting nice place to lay out(again it was noticeably slow).

The only bar/restaurants we went to at the resort was Il Fornio(Italian) at the 'Sea Gaden" (good service, ok food), "The Bar" and "Mondo". If it was not so slow would have really enjoyed both "the bar" and "Mondo"they both have a nice feel to them "the Bar" had live music, and Mondo is a sports bar with a sushi bar and pool tables, but since it was so slow there just was no ambience (and both my wife and I are usually people that enjoy low crowds and quiet). One night(at 11:00 pm I think we were literally the only people at "Mondo" (this is place that could easily seat 150-200 people).

The largest drawback to the resort was that it was about a 30-40 minute cab to the downtown area. Though it is only about 10 minutes from the airport(nice), and 5 minute cab ride to the supermarket(there is a Wal-mart and a mexico equivalent next to it that we went to - can't remember the name). We bought groceries wine, beer, etc. there and prices and variety were excellent!
Overall I would say this is a great resort for families, but if you are a looking for nightlife and site seeing I would say the resorts closer to the city would be a better bet.

One more thing, we used a tour guide named "Baldo" he was very good and seemed to know exaclty where to go, he was very professional and had good english, he told us a lot about the city, and the people. On our city/cliff diver tour I was little perturbed that he insisted we go to a "silver shop" (where he obviously gets a commision), but I will say that the people at the shop and Baldo himself were not the least bit pushy that we buy anything(we did buy about $20 worth of trinckets for our daughters), but they did not seem perturbed that we didn't really even look at the jewelry! I will say that Baldo is a great resource as a "tour guide" but if you just need a reliable cab we used one of the cab drivers that was right at the Grand Mayan. We always requested the same person(Francisco) and he had pretty good english and was a "semi" tour guide as well. The one thing that actually bothered me a little by Baldo was his recomendation for authentic Mexican", I was a little taken back when he said "Carlos N Charlies" but it was really close to our hotel and he said I could watch NFL games there. I should ahve gone with my gut on this one becuase I expected the food was not very good at all...adn they didn't have the NFL network!!!! I will say the service and Carlso N Charlies was great though, there was a Casino bar right next door that had the football game and they delivered our food there for us(too bad it wasn't very good).