“Amazing vacation at Grand Mayan”

The Grand Mayan Acapulco
Ranked #2 of 168 Hotels in Acapulco
Reviewed April 12, 2014

We had a lovely week at the Grand Mayan. The friendly service was beyond amazing. We were spoiled! Delicious meals at the onsite restaurant, complete with a sommelier Candido who not only knows his wine, but also tequila! Mayden, the concierge, was outstanding. She helped us so many times. Our room was gorgeous! We had a small swimming pool on the balcony, a giant bathtub in the room, a livingroom and a small kitchen. This was actually a one bedroom apartment with gorgeous views of the city lights. Everyone was so kind in Acapulco and it is totally SAFE to go there! Our timing was perfect as spring break was just beginning the day we left, so the place was nearly empty for our entire week. The ocean was warm, the beaches were empty and clean, the pool was huge. It was my boyfriend's birthday, so they actually delivered a piece of birthday cake to our room that evening -- no charge! We also had a very romantic dinner at Su Casa Restaurant, which is closer to downtown, up on a hill. Incredible food, the nicest people, safe, fun. I'd definitely go back! Great for couples or families.

Room Tip: Ocean front is best, but ours faced the city and it was terrific. I'd recommend getting an upgr...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Socialmediamanager1, Manager at The Grand Mayan Acapulco, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2014

Dear Lisa B :
Thank you for providing your comments about your vacation at The Grand Mayan. We are pleased to learn you had a wonderful vacation, that you enjoyed our food options, We are also happy that you consider our resort to be beautiful and you selected it to celebrate such a special occasion, happy belated birthday to your boyfriend!

Comments like yours inspire us to continue creating ideal vacation experiences.

Reviewed April 10, 2014

Hotel was very nice, clean; safe beautiful golf course hotel is on the ocean excellent. No ocean view rooms for RCI members. Airport is less than 10 minutes from hotel; no transportation provided from Grand Mayan from the airport, taxis are there. Learn little Spanish before you come. No currency exchange at Grand Mayan, they will take US funds. Food at the hotel is very good reasonably priced i.e. $85.00 US for a family of 4. Walmart within five minutes. Not all activities listed on the amenities are available at the hotel. Wi-Fi is available for a cost, most us cell phones won’t work, so translation and currency exchange apps won’t work. Highly recommend calling Roberto Alarcon he is and excellent English speaking tour guide, he knows the entire area very well, safe shopping, food and tourist attractions. If there is something you are looking to do he will find it for you, and you will feel safe. Spent the entire day on a city tour, cliff divers, souvenir shops, food, it was great day, and he found a place for me to go parasailing, which was a plus, lots of great family pictures. He will pick your party up at the airport or hotel, has a Suburban from the USA call (011 521 744-4219608) or (011 521 744-1077163), or when in Acapulco call 044 744 4219608. Thanks again Roberto Alarcon
Sir George

Room Tip: Excellent hotel
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank George M

Dear George M :
We are gratified to hear about your visit at The Grand Mayan. We are happy to learn that you enjoyed our beautiful golf course and our food options.

Your comments are always welcomed. We always like to hear about our guests’ experiences since it is the only way to truly know we are doing a great job to making your stay enjoyable.

Reviewed April 10, 2014

I researched as much as I could and decided to contact Sebastian Hernandez who runs a company acapulcoforall.com and I am so glad I did. We made some arrangements with him vía e-mail and were scheduled for airport transfers and Acalpuco Tour. Sebastian picked us up promptly at the airport that morning (we were coming from Mexico City), happily stopped for groceries (he helped me find some items), and waited very patiently while we checked in at the Grand Mayan. Then we went on Sebastian's Acapulco City Tour for the day. Sebastian's explanation of all the sites was superb. His English is excellent. He is such a friendly person, and very accommodating. We also hired Sebastian for airport transfer for all of our relatives who were also coming in for this family wedding. Contact Sebastian from his contact page doing a Google search under his site acapulcoforall.com.
The Grand Mayan is beautiful. The pool was actually WARM which is wonderful compared to other vacation destinations in Mexico. There were always plenty of chairs around the pool and on the beach...no need to reserve a spot by 7 am, as is the case in other destinations. We had a two bedroom suite (two separate bedrooms with king beds and a washroom in each, sharing the living room and kitchen), which was well-appointed and spotless. Hubby and I had one room, mother-in-law had the other room, and our two teens slept on the two couch/beds. It worked out very well. It was nice to have full kitchen, which we did use to save money on meals. The hotel was quiet and we had a good sleep. Curtains had blackout lining. Balcony was huge and even had a small splash pool. After seeing the hotels in the other zones, I was glad that we were a bit away in a quieter and cleaner area. I would definitely return to the Grand Mayan.
As far as tour guide, we would MOST definitely hire Sebastian again. He responds promptly to emails and will send you his full list of tours, which all look wonderfully interesting. We would love to take his other tours next time (this time we were busy with the wedding). I highly recommend Sebastian; you will love him.

Room Tip: Get your name on the list for an ocean view room.
1  Thank WorldsCultures

Dear WorldsCultures :

We truly appreciate the time you have taken to share with us your impression about your stay at The Grand Mayan .We are also pleased you found our resort to be beautiful.

Reviewed April 9, 2014

The Grand Mayan has a great location, away from the hustle of the city and along a calm and beautiful part of the ocean. As I understand, this Grand Mayan is the oldest of the Mayan Resorts and will be updated soon. The new pools and upgrades will be much appreciated and bring it to the Grand Mayans top standards. We will go again when the renos are done for sure. The weather was great and we were told you can always bank on good weather in Acapulco, whereas we have had cool spells on the Mayan Riviara. This is very important for our holidays, as we had good weather every day. No rain, no windy days you could not be at the beach/in the ocean, no cool weather where you needed long sleeves or pants ever. Every day was perfect. We heard from many people there that they come to Acapulco regularly and it is because they are guaranteed good weather. The front desk will try and help you when they can. When we checked in we did not have an ocean view room, but went on a waiting list and got one for the second week. Get put through to a supervisor at the front desk and keep touch with them in a nice way and everything should work out. I stood in line behind some owners who were raising their voice and really behaving badly at the check in and they still ended up on the waiting list...but I wonder if they got the move over to ocean view! As the check in and out is only three times a week, I found you go the night before one of the three check out dates and then again the next morning and voila! The maid service of course depends on who you get. The first week I wanted to take her home with me...she was fabulous. The next week when we moved to a different floor, I was running around looking for things and calling and leaving notes ect..she can stay in Mexico. Told a tip on this... instead of tipping at the end of the week, I will meet them one day 1, tell them what I am hoping for (ie extra towels, flowers or towel animals for my daughter) and tip them at that time, and then daily when (if) my needs are met...sounds like a good idea. Compared to some Resorts this one was a little quiet on the nightlife and shows ect. We have been to some great shows and stuff at other Mayan Resorts. I hope it was just because of the renos. I think they are suppose to be done in 2015. My daughter loved the staff that work with the turtle program and the crafts ect. Angel was very kind and helpful. Understood kids and made room for her even when most people around week one were adults. Karina, taught my daughter the salsa had great visits with her at the turtle camp and dancing in Mondo. She was soooooo good. My daughter just loved her to pieces.

Athough we loved the quieter beach where the kids were safe and ran and played, we did want to experience Acapulco and see some sights. As we had been advised against renting a car, we needed a driver we could trust and who would work with us.This was our first trip to Acapulco and we were wondering if it was now as safe as people were saying....Well it is time to travel to Acapulco again...we felt safe and had a great time. Part of havin such a good vacation was because of Sebastian. I read many reviews on the web before we left and I emailed Sebastian Hernandez Ricardo. He was amazing. He obviously had kids and could just go with the flow and made whatever we wanted work!!! Gotta love that when your on vacation. To take a driver from the resort is the most expensive way to go. If you can meet a certified tour guide they can do it all for you. Sebastian from www.acapulcoforall.com, was just that guy. He took us on tours and had the extra time needed to allow us to get side tracked, which was some of the real fun, as well as explain lots about all the tours we chose. His knowledge about the sights, as well as his willingness to chat about life in Mexico and tell us some tales made for a very enjoyable trip. (He has good english) We did everything from bank and grocery stops, to cliff divers, the old Hollywood getaway, the Acapulco site seeing tours and of course a flea market. He took us to restaurants we would have never known about and waited for us patiently where ever we were. I did not feel pressured about time, nor did I ever feel I got the short version just to move us through....that I really enjoyed. He gave us his cell number and even one of his extra phones so we could make plans during the week as we decided and not all up front...really handy because I did not know all the things we wanted to do when we first got there, nor did I want to bring our cells!!!! as I have heard a few bad bill stories when people got home. I know a lot of tour guides will stick with you all week as well as pick you up from the airport and get you back to the airport, but I can tell you why I would phone Sebastian the next time we are in Acapulco: Sebastian called when he said he would, he arrived when he said he would, he let me cancel on short notice when my daughter was feeling sick one night and just re booked no pressure or guilt put on me, he took time to explain everything we asked about, he shared stories about his kids, he did some research for us to help us decide about certain tour options, he gave us a cell so we could spend whatever part of the day we wanted at the flea market...( long or short just call and I'll come back and get you when you are done- hows that for service) and he worked in some friends we met, for the same price we had negotiated for our family. His rates were good and at the end of it all he gave us a complimentary trip back to the airport....but the real reason I would use him again or recommend him is that I liked him and I trusted him. When your a thousand miles from home that's a good feeling.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Lori_3ofus

Dear Lori_3ofus :

We are grateful for your taking the time to write a review about your experience while staying at The Grand Mayan. We are so glad you had a blast enjoying our turtle camp, pools, restaurants and our staff’s service. They work tirelessly - day and night, to make our guests’ visits the most comfortable experience ever. We will gladly share your comments with our staff. We are certain Angel and Karina will gladly receive your feedback, as all our staff is always looking to meet our guests’ expectations to the fullest.

We will be delighted to welcome you back!

Reviewed April 6, 2014

The Grand Mayan was a really nice resort. The grounds were beautiful, the rooms were adequate, and the staff was very friendly. It is a really nice resort if you want to relax and get away from all the craziness of the hotel zone. If you wonder why all of the reviews for this resort mention different tour guides, it's because it's a huge resort away from everything. Unless you plan on eating every day in your room or at the resort's restaurant, you are going to need a driver. That is where Roberto Alarcon comes in (robertoalrey@yahoo.com.mx). I can say with the utmost certainty that our trip to Acapulco wouldn't have nearly been enjoyable without his help. I found his name from online reviews and emailed him months before our trip. He met us at the airport with a huge "Mexican smile", a cerveza, and a glass of tequila. He was professional in every thing he did. Always on time, very knowledgeable, courteous, and made us feel like members of his family. After taking us to the resort (after a detour to the grocery store), we planned our next trip with him 3 days later. After way too much sun the first day our kids got burnt and needed a couple days in the shade. We called Roberto and he put together another great tour for us on the fly so we could continue having fun and stay out of the sun. Over the week, Roberto took us to and from the airport, took us on a lagoon boat tour, took us on a wonderful city tour, took us to swim with the dolphins, and took us out to eat multiple times and not once were we disappointed. If your heading to Grand Mayan reach out to him, I promise you won't be sorry.

In conclusion

Pros - Beautiful resort, peaceful location, nice beach, clean rooms, ROBERTO, ROBERTO, ROBERTO

Cons - Food/drinks on resort are expensive, can't get an ocean view room unless you are an owner, charge for everything (wifi, gym), not much going on at the resort, very small kitchenette

3  Thank Brock T

Dear Brock T :

We really appreciate the time you have taken to share with us your detailed impression about your stay at The Grand Mayan. We are happy you enjoyed our grounds, the accommodations and really thank you for your kind comment about our staff, as we consider them one of our biggest assets.

Our goal is to make each one of our guests’ vacations relaxing and we look to please them by making sure they receive all the benefits they are expecting to enjoy during their vacation. We are always happy to find out we have achieved this.

It will be our pleasure to have you as a guest again.

Reviewed April 4, 2014

We were here for spring break.
Staff, concierge, and restaurants on sight are really nice and spoke good english.
The resort is 5 minutes from the airport and about 20 minutes from old Acapulco. So you are away from the extremely busy parts of the city, but it does not take long for you to get the bay, downtown, or cliff divers.
This resort is on the beach. So you are able to easily go from pool or 200 paces to the Pacific Ocean.
The resort has a shuttle service that runs every 10-15 minutes to the other Mayan resorts for your convenience.

If you go to Acapulco, please contact Mr. Francisco Javier Vargas Cortez for your transportation needs. Whether you need to be picked up from the airport, go shopping, leave the resort for dinner, or want a personalized tour of Acapulco, he is your guy. He is very nice, well spoken, and has operated in personal transportation for 25 years. He knows his stuff and wants to get to know your family or business associates while your in Acapulco. Mr. Francisco was always on time for our errands and tours. He never made us feel like we needed to hurry up either during our dines or shops. He can be reached by local number at 249-01-95, cell (044)744-421-3553, or email aca-francisco@hotmail.com. He is also on LinkedIn.

2  Thank TERRY S

Dear TERRY S :
Thank you for taking the time to provide us your feedback about your past stay with us at The Grand Mayan. We really thank you for your kind comment about our staff, as we consider them one of our biggest assets.

Reviewed April 3, 2014

The Grand Mayan was wonderful. We had a two bedroom suite, plenty of room, large balcony. The staff was great and most spoke English. Hugh pool, We used Roberto Alarcon as a tour guide. Great guy, Picked us up at air port, drove us to dinner, informative and fun tours. Highly recommend.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Susan W :

We are grateful for your taking the time to write a review about your experience staying at The Grand Mayan. We are pleased to learn you had a wonderful vacation, We really thank you for your kind comment about the staff and the service they provide.

Your comments are always welcomed. Our primary goal is to ensure you are able to relax during your much deserved vacation.

We truly appreciate your preference and look forward to serving you again in the near future.