“Get Sergio to take you around”

The Grand Mayan Acapulco
Ranked #2 of 168 Hotels in Acapulco
Reviewed November 27, 2013

This was my third visit to the Grand Mayan/Mayan Palace in Acapulco. I met Sergio Molina the first time in the spring of 2010. He took us for a city tour to see the cliff divers, silver shop, etc. He also took us to a local restaurant in the city for lunch one day. He is a pleasure to talk to, and we felt very safe to go around with him. I was not able to get in touch with him on my second trip in 2011 until I accidentally saw him the day before we are leaving to come back home. He remembered me and gave me his contact information for the next time. We contacted him through the dispatcher at the Grand Mayan the first day we arrived this year. Sergio took us to a 'jungle tour' on a catamaran one day and to the city on another day. He also gave us a ride back to the airport when we left Acapulco.

If you are in Acapulco and need a taxi/tour guide, contact Sergio Molina (74-416-42530). You will not regret it!

Room Tip: The rooms facing the pool at the Mayan Palace have a really nice view.
1  Thank mleppala
Write a ReviewReviews (2,001)

Reviewed November 26, 2013

My Wife and I just returned from our Honeymoon in sunny Acapulco, (Nov. 15-Nov. 22) and being we found TripAdvisor to be very helpful to us while planning our vacation, I felt the need to write one myself now that I'm back home.
When considering our options for honeymoon destinations, we had been focusing mostly on the Caribbean until a friend had mentioned Acapulco, Mexico. Having always know the name to be associated with beautiful beaches we became more intrigued. We did our research and naturally there was the negative media on how this part of the country was crime ridden in recent years, which naturally drew red flags. Not going to lie, this was after all my honeymoon, a once in a lifetime event I wanted my wife and I to really enjoy it after a year and a half of wedding plans.
After talking to a few people I know who travel often, they confirmed, like most places, where the tourist are, the police presence is high. So with more confidence, we booked our honeymoon.
As a wedding gift from dear friends of ours who had a timeshare, we were given a 1br suite at the beautiful Grand Mayan resort. Once we arrived at the very well groomed property of the Grand Mayan resort, we were greeted by a super friendly staff. Regardless if they were bellhops, concierge or waiters and waitresses, they were all smiles and made you feel like you were special. After check-in we were shown to our room on the third floor over looking the beautiful pacific ocean whose waves were a nice way to wake up every morning while sipping coffee on our balcony. The room also over looked the well manicured grounds which included a pool and poolside restaurant. While there was some construction going on (part of the resorts expansion) we found it wasn't enough to ruin our time there. It was mostly kept to a secluded area anyway. Also on the balcony was our very own sitting pool which was perfect for newlyweds to sip some adult cocktails and overlook the beautiful beach. The room it self was exceptionally clean, a small musty odor was present but after a day with the widows open, it was gone. The room came stocked with pots, pans, dishes and silver wear. There was a coffee pot along with a blender and toaster. A decent size refrigerator and microwave. The room service was prompt and tasty and was delivered by another friendly employee of the hotel.
NOW, a few of the cons (not too many but have to mention anyway) Most of the toiletries and even the coffee will be charged to the room if you decide to use them. Wi-Fi is NOT free, even at a five star resort like this. It was about $17.00usd per day if you decided to use it in your room. The Internet café located on the first floor is slightly cheaper if you decide to use their computers. The Jade Shop which is the main gift shop has some fantastic stuff but be prepared to pay high prices for things. The restaurants on the property vary in price but they too can be very costly. The biggest gripe we would have about the Grand Mayan is the 7am calls by the timeshare sales women. We expected with a time share, we'd be asked to come sit and talk with the staff about possibly buying one for ourselves. What we didn't expect was to be awaken everyday by a telephone ringing while we were trying to enjoy our honeymoon. So after about the second day we agreed to meet with them over breakfast (which was on them that day). When the day arrived, we got yet another phone call as "a reminder" we'd be having breakfast with a salesperson. So after meeting at breakfast, we moved to a model of the suite and then to the sales office. To put it short, after paying for a wedding a week earlier, we were in no financial position to purchase anything that soon. It took four sales people to try but, we stood our ground. What was supposed to be a 40 min. meeting turned into two hours. The highlight of that was at the end of our stay, 10% was taken off our total bill for meeting with the sales team. Also, the vendors on the beach can be bothersome. They are very friendly as well but, at times won't leave you alone for 5 minuets before the next one shows up offering you more goods or services. All in all it was a fantastic experience and would love to get back to Acapulco soon!

Room Tip: Rooms are usually "Ocean View" or "Mountain View" (golf course) both have beauti...
Reviewed November 26, 2013

This was the first visit for my wife and I to Acapulco and we loved it. Based on our experience, it seems that the storm damage and danger level for tourists has been exaggerated. If you don't speak much Espanol, make sure you get a good taxi driver like Sergio Molina who speaks great English and knows the city like the back of his hand. Born and raised in Acapulco, then he lived in the states for many years, and has since been a resident of Acapulco for about 15 years. He took us on a great city tour including the cliff divers and connected us with a glass-bottom boat tour to the legendary Palao Island club. His phone numbers are 74-411-79274 / 74-416-42530. Have fun! Oh and if you get to stay at the Grand Mayan, make sure you meet Edith who served us food & drinks at the pool. She stood out as friendly and helpful!

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 25, 2013

It is a resort, not for the traveler, but come and relax, enjoy. Great rooms but specify which side you want to be on. We were first given a room with a beautiful view of the mountains (east side), and asked to be moved to the ocean side. This was done in a couple days when a room came open. Most staff you will have contact with are bilingual. We only had one meal at the restaurant (excellent),and bought food at a Walmart (a short cab ride away) which we cooked in the suite, or we ate in town. You really feel cut off from "the real Mexico" unless you get out, but if that is what you want it is really excellent!

Room Tip: Specify west (mountain) or east (ocean) view.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GEH31
Reviewed November 19, 2013

I will start off by saying this is a good looking resort. The landscaping is beautiful and well maintained. All of the staff is friendly, concerned and willing to attempt to resolve most of your issues with your stay. Now the not so great is the resort had just undergone possibly some extensive damage due to a Tropical Storm, followed up by days of rain prior to us arriving. The suites must have gotten soaked (walls, ceilings) and were not assessed for replacement damage. We stayed on the ninth floor and the suite was molded and mildewed in smell and visible on the ceilings and walls. The hallways also had this problem. The resort opted to cover all this damage up with paint. IT DID NOT WORK! The bedding and linens stayed damp. All packaged foods that we purchased that did not require refrigeration, absorbed the moisture in the room. Yuck. Getting into the bed was like sleeping on sheets that were misted with water. The toxic smell permeated everything. In addition, sleeping on their bed was like sleeping on a slab of concrete. The linens had mold on them and were stained. We could not sleep at night or stay in the suite without opening the sliding glass doors and running the A/C or fan (I know wasting energy). Upon arriving, I told the front desk about the room issue and they came up and agreed to provide us with other suites. This was off no consequence because all the rooms were on the mountain/street side and did not have the opportunity of all day sun to dry them out. We stuck with the suite we had because the others shown were worse. We stayed outside as much as possible before heading in to go to bed. I literally had thoughts of permanent respiratory damage running through my head. We were not offered "An All Inclusive package", which was a shame because they charged for everything, even the initial coffee packet in your room that had no notice on it that it was chargeable. The in room bottled water did, so we did not drink that. The restaurants on sight are very nice and the service is great. The food is well prepared and tasteful. However, it is expensive. We were instructed on giving bigger tips if the staff providing the service felt that what you left was not big enough. The Cheek of it! We eventually caught on to what the other guests were doing when we saw tons of them returning with groceries from Wal-Mart. The Wi-fi setup cost in the business center is reasonable if you are informed you can pay $16.00 for the week but only for one device (no tethering). We were not told this until Tuesday and had arrived the previous Friday. If you want Wi-fi in your room the cost is prohibitive. The pools are clean and the Aquapark is a must for everyone. The alcoholic beverages were made with Top Shelf and they did not skimp. Overall, I was glad of the magical time my husband and I got to spend together. It would have been exceptionally magical if the building had been properly maintained after the storm. I will not re-visit this place, I am too OCD (germ-a-phobia). I served 28 years in the military and cleanliness and maintainence is key, even in a field environment (go figure).

Room Tip: Try with everything you have to reserve and Ocean View Room. If they offer you and All-Inclusive at...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kitty526
Reviewed November 18, 2013

The people at the Grand Mayan of Acapulco what can I say I miss all of you already. The Café De Lago was our favorite hang out the wait staff all was wonderful and treated us like royalty. Cesar was our favorite he gave us Spanish lessons every morning, Francisco always made sure we had coffee waiting when he saw us walk in to be seated and always made sure we were happy with his service. Edith was also part of the wait staff and always so friendly. It is hard to leave that kind of service. The room is nice we had a king studio it did smell a little musty but was very clean always had fresh towels and clean room 2 times daily once in the morning and at turn down service. The pools at the Grand Mayan and the Mayan Palace both were Grand the Grand Mayan had the ocean view and the Mayan Palace has the beautiful tropical pools and swim up bar. I would never know I was in a city of 2 million people when your in the resort. We had a Taxi Driver that was absolutely wonderful he will take you around the city and make you feel like family as he takes you to all the special places in Acapulco and surrounding area's he becomes your own personal tour guide. Ask for Miguel he is the best.. He drives a suburban and you always feel safe with him. Thank you Grand Mayan Staff for making our stay the best!!!

Room Tip: If you have Kids I would say the Mayan Palace is best because lots of pools and kids pools to play i...
Reviewed November 12, 2013

Our stay was from Nov 2 to Nov 9. The taxi fare from the airport to the Mayan Resorts was $25US (VISA accepted.) and for some reason the return fare to the airport is only $20US. It was our first visit to Acapulco and also our first use of a Mayan timeshare. We stayed at the Mayan Palace in a room on the same floor as the lobby which made it convenient to catch the shuttles or take the elevator down to the pools. Our one bedroom king suite was spacious with 2 separate sink areas (one with a hairdryer) and separate closets. The living room had sofas that converted to trundle beds. There was a TV in the bedroom and another in the living room. CNN was channel 53.

The kitchen had a toaster, a blender, a coffee maker, two burners and a mini fridge. The microwave was quite high on a shelf. Our rooms were cleaned everyday so be sure and leave a tip when you check out as the maids only earn a few dollars a day in salary. They come by at nite too to see if you need anything.

There is a convenience store next to the lobby where you can buy bottled drinks, food and souvenirs.

We were given a chance to have a free breakfast and learn of member benefits but we declined to attend the presentation.

Our flt arrived in the afternoon on a Saturday so we had dinner at the Mayan Palace's Samba Restaurant (Mexican Sampler) and returned 2 more times during the week for the fish tacos and enchiladas verde. Our breakfasts were usually leftovers from dinner. We found prices at Samba were less expensive than restaurants at the Grand Mayan. Weds. were BBQ nite and Fridays, paella nite. Taking the shuttle over to the Grand Mayan was easy with the frequent carts and vans. Activity staff at the Grand Mayan (Miguel and Karina) were more fluent in English so we played bilingual BINGO there often (3PM). We had a Top 5 list of places we wanted to see, so a taxi supervisor assigned us the next day to an English speaking driver who we landed up using Monday, Wed, and Friday.

We highly recommend Miguel Amezcua (744)2-49-02-04) with email:amezcua836@hotmail.com He has over 30 years experience, was born in Acapulco and a born again christian.

Our first tour took us to La Capilla de la Paz where we had a great view of the City, Las Brisas, a flea market, Diego Rivera's mosaic serpent, and the cliff divers (small admission fee.) TIP: If you buy the signed t-shirts, be sure to try it on first as mexican sizes run small. We then had a wonderful lunch at El Fogon as we wanted to try some local food. Miguel will drive you to wherever you need to go and wait for you, take you to the bank, the Mega or Walmart store, and make sure you are safe. I wanted to try a churro so he drove us to a stand on the blvd. The churro was split open and filled with your choice of filling unlike the churros in Cabo San Lucas where the filling is injected from the end.

Miguel found out we wanted to catch a sailfish so he found us a captain who would take us out for a price we could afford on Wed. Miguel picks you up promptly and even verifies with the captain the weather conditions before he heads to the dock. TIP: pack your Sea Bands and Dramamine to be comfortable on the boat?:) We caught a 50 lb sailfish and 3 bonitos. We gave most of the fish to the captain, 1/4 to Miguel and kept 1/4 to eat. Miguel stopped at the Mega grocery store so we could buy tortillas and wasabi to eat with our freshly caught fish.

On Friday we took a tour of a replica of a silver mine located inside a jewelry store, visited Zocala, the cathedral, shopped the vendors selling in the square for last minute souvenirs, and visited Fort San Diego (42 pesos per person admission), free on Sundays but closed Mondays. Miguel drove us around trying to find tongue tacos but all the carts were sold out but we had a delightful lunch at El Zorrito where we had the best chicharrones ever. We asked Miguel to stop at the nearby Princess Hotel near the Mayan just so we could experience it's grandeur.

Our rest days at the resort were spent at the Mayan Palace pools or the beach and pools at the Grand Mayan. We learned to kayak (no fee) in the little lake over at the Grand Mayan. In the afternoon the iguanas and turtles are out on the mini island in the lake. A staff member patiently taught us how to paddle and make turns and took pix of us while we were paddling. Life jackets are mandatory and the lake is about 10 ft deep.

There are also volleyball, water polo and blackjack games. The kids pools at the Mayan Palace have water slides and waterfalls. There are plenty of lounge chairs and some are built into the mosaic pool.

The beach sand was extremely hot so wear your sandals up to the surf line. There is a life guard on duty.

I loved the vendors on the beach. They would leave you alone with a polite "no gracias". We bought a spiderman parachute kite and an airplane styrofoam kite for our grandson-100 pesos each. The vendor would let you test fly them. I loved the crocheted swimsuit coverups those poor women would carry up and down the beach and let you patiently try on. I found a unique mother of pearl flower necklace. A silver vendor sold me a necklace that was originally too long, but he whipped out his tool kit, clipped the chain to the right length, put on a new clasp, polished it up and renegotiated to a price of my liking.

There were also massages for $20, horses and ATVs to rent.

MUST DO: At the Grand Mayan on Thursdays, Karina gives a great presentation in the Turtle Hut about the preservation of the green sea turtles. There are about 100 baby sea turtles that are newly hatched each day.

I would not walk to the 100% Natural restaurant across the street from the entrance to the resort. Being a pedestrian in Mexico is dangerous. Traffic will not stop for you and cars turning right will not give you the right of way. Also there were many flies in the alfresco restaurant and I had to ask for the English translated menu. Bottled water placed at each table is available for a fee.

Acapulco has fully recovered from the Sept hurricane and is very safe now. Only the Costco was still closed.

Staff at the resort were extremely friendly and willing to go out of your way to please you. Samba will cook any fish that you catch for a fee. Gracias Miguel for making our trip to your beautiful city so memorable.

Margarita and Jime de Los Angeles

Room Tip: lobby floor rooms have easier access to shuttles
3  Thank Margaret Y