“Wouldn't Stay Here...Okay But Not Great.”

Gran Plaza Hotel Acapulco
Ranked #10 of 168 Hotels in Acapulco
Reviewed July 29, 2012

First the good: the hotel is well-located and I was given a good room with an ocean view and a small sitting area, overlooking the pools as well. The staff are friendly and helpful. And the bed was comfortable and clean. Room service was prompt: I don't think I ever had to wait more than thirty minutes for food and usually it was less than that, even at peak hours.

Now the bad: upon first checking out the room, after checking in, I found a dead cockroach in the corner behind the curtain. I called management and they sent a cleaning lady, but no attempt was made beyond that to offer me any compensation for that little disgusting present. The room was not cleaned well, especially in the corners, and the bathroom, especially, was kind of disgusting. The cleaning ladies were not consistent, one day taking the floor mat and not replacing it, and the next day I had a floor mat again. The AC did not work as good as it should have, but it was adequate. The cable selection was poor, but fortunately I brought my own entertainment. The elevators, as some have noted, are a nightmare. I found myself waiting five, six, seven minutes sometimes. Often, when an elevator DID come, it was jam-packed. I have trouble with my knees, but I began to take the stairs - fortunately, I was on the third floor, but the staircase next to my room gave no access to the lobby, so I had to walk down a flight and then find another set of stairs to finish my descent. The elevators seem to open, too, no matter which direction you have indicated, so I often found myself rising to the very top floor (28th) when I had tried to go down. The pools were always crowded and did not lend themselves to swimming - they are small and shallow, better for getting wet. The beach directly in front of the hotel is crowded, too, and I found out when I sat on a chaise lounge one day that you must pay 150 pesos (more than ten US dollars) for a whole-day rental. Frankly, that is simply too much to endure when you are already paying so much for the room, the parking and the food. Someone mentioned the nightly band and the fact that the music carriers. It is true, and being on the third floor I felt like I was sitting in the opera pit, but I am a night owl, and the band was always done by midnight, so it didn't really bother me. The wi-fi in-room internet access, which I thought was a plus, and one of the reasons I chose this hotel, was so slow that I could not watch any videos at all. Even a three-minute video clip took half an hour to download. The Skype therefore was also not very good. Since I was using Skype to keep in contact with my family, that was a further irritant. There are, as some have pointed out, many restaurants within walking distance, but I was unimpressed overall with the quality of the food, with very few exceptions. Even when I ate Mexican food, I thought it was nowhere near the best Mexican food I have had in Mexico. ne last thing I would like to mention: I find the hotel's practice of giving these pro forma responses to people's negative reviews a little creepy, and it definitely does not endear me further to the hotel management. If the hotel were serious about fixing its reputation, it could (and should) take steps to address the shortcomings being pointed out. These little "we're-sorry-you-had-a-bad-experience-at-our-hotel" kind of apologies are disingenuous and do nothing to convince me that they are sincere in taking the criticism to heart with an eye toward implementing positive changes.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank BillMichael9
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Gran Plaza Hotel Acapulco, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2012

Dear BillMichael9,

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed July 10, 2012

Crowne plaza is one of the best hotels I visited. It was an amazing experience for a weekend in Acapulco with some friends. Service is perfect, Employees are so friendly, and the beach is so wonderful that you would like to stay for weeks and weeks there.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank Joe Y
Reviewed May 17, 2012 via mobile

Cleanliness is good and staff is relatively friendly. Too expensive for what the hotel offers. We paid €200 for a double room all inclusive. Room had a nice view, but the door knob was broken, the safety box was not working properly, same with the hair dryer and other stuff. There was no servi bar (fridge with drinks and snacks) in the room (you have to pay extra if you want one). Food is the worst I have ever tried!!! Very bad quality, and perhaps disgusting. It's an all inclusive hotel, but with bad quality food and drink. They do have some good drinks, but you have to pay extra for these. And also pay extra for some of their restaurants, which I assume have better food thn the scraps given in the others. Literally scraps, unedible food. I am very dissapointed. I know other hotels that charge similar fees and are way better. Don't stay here, I definitely never will. It used to be a good hotel, now they skimp on everything :( very dissapointing.

• Stayed: May 2012
3  Thank karluchis
Management response:Responded June 22, 2012

Dear karluchis,

Thank you for your review regarding your experience. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention and apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced.

We strive to exceed our guests’ expectations and create memorable experiences. We take all feedback seriously. It helps us gauge what we are doing right and what we need to improve on and sincerely regret that we did not meet your expectations.

Once again, we appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us. We know you have many choices when it comes to lodging and we hope your future travel plans will continue to include IHG.

Regards,
Brenda J.
IHGCare

Reviewed May 7, 2012

We treated ourselves here and for a reasonable price got a decent stay. 2 nights of R&R. Very commercial - flashed a loyalty card on check in and one room upgraded to a suite .....large balcony and 'sitting' room with a sofa. Other room comfortable twin as requested.

Room facilities OK, though we struggled to get the bath to switch to shower function with the control being quite stuck and not so easy to get staff to understand issue. Comfortable beds, clean and tidy and decent size.

We were on a room only basis......There are so many options locally to eat any time of the day with several diner style and all day buffet options within wandering distance of hotel for breakfast.

Pool facilities fine...various choices of sunbeds by pools (x3) or beach. Attendants quick to help put up shade, bring tables, drinks and snacks etc. Water in all the pools on the chilly side, but refreshing on a hot day. Less welcome was the poolside 'entertainment' - sit in the wrong place and the music and chat from the speakers is bordering on too much in terms of volume and distraction.

This is a massive hotel in terms of height....would recommend that you go for a high floor if you prefer to turn in early.....the bar is in the open ground floor and sound is funnelled up through the open structure so difficult to escape the evening entertainment. The trade off is that the lifts are really slow and take ages to get to your floor.

This hotel is right on the beach in the middle of the bay....quite a transfer time from the airport, and make sure you leave time to get back too as traffic on the main drag is congested and moves slowly (but loudly!)

If you want a few beach/sun days for a reasonable cost and comfort then this isn't a bad place within central location in Acapulco. Mostly Mexican guests when we stayed.

Room Tip: Go high to avoid the sounds of the evening entertainment and the traffic. Only one side faces direc...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jude_Nottm
Reviewed April 9, 2012

The resort was very nice and clean
The staff was nice but some have limited English
The buffet was, well buffet, after a week I was done.
The a la cart, Italian, was wonderful.
The Mexican restaurant wasn't open when we were there.

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank fjtoronto
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Check in experience was a breeze, until we got into our room. We had originally booked a King Jr. Suite and found out our room was reserved with a double bed. My confirmation through the travel agency stated King Jr Suite, which was not honored. The hotel manager insisted I contact the travel agency and have them pay the difference, one which they would not honor. They informed me certain travel sites state King Jr. Suite, but those rooms are no longer offered. Needless to say, this was my birthday weekend and although the room I had originally requested was unavailable due to a misunderstanding, no compensation other than a regular King Bed was provided, even though I paid for a Jr. Suite.

The Room:
Dated furniture, but housekeeping kept the room clean. The remote did not work throughout my entire stay. The restroom was small, especially the shower.

The Hotel:
The hotel is situated in a safe area with lots of restaurants and shops around the corner. Across the street you will find a great restaurant for breakfasts, inexpensive and great food.
The pools are fantastic, with the execption of the security guards who would not allow my family to visit with us in the pool area. After speaking to management, they made a mere accommodation to allow my family to visit for 1 hour if I compensated the hotel with a cash fee.

I will warn that on Fridays and Saturdays live bands play in the lobby area. Music can be heard up to the highest floor.

The hotel has nice grounds, but I would not recommed staying here if you want exceptional quality and service.

Room Tip: Stay in a high floor. Call the hotel ahead of time to ensure your reservation is accurate.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kenhecra
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Gran Plaza Hotel Acapulco, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2012

kenhecra,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry you received service and accommodations that where unacceptable. We hope that you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Ben J
IHG Care

Reviewed March 11, 2012

Location is GREAT - walking distance to many shopping/dining choices; cabs right out front; hotel staff do not all speak/understand English; concierge offers no services/very little info; travel agency across the street is okay. Pool bar is nice, reasonable prices. Cannot beat the $65/night + tax rate.

Room Tip: Call Pacifica Tours for airport pick-up/delivery -- $30 each way (plus tip); Ask for corner room or...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo