“What A Shame”

El Mirador Acapulco Hotel
Ranked #25 of 168 Hotels in Acapulco
Reviewed December 28, 2013

We knew going to El Mirador that it was an old hotel and so it wasn’t any worse or better than what we expected. I can imagine that it was outstanding in its day and it is a shame that there hasn’t been enough revenue to keep the place up. However, it is clean and much of the outdoor space has been repainted so on a first glance it isn’t too bad. The pool is very nicely maintained. When you sit on the sun deck you look out to a spectacular view. But on the way down to the stairs to the bathroom there are crumbling walls and grates.
The funicular needs to be ripped out as it is completely rusted and can’t be used or repaired. The rooms are very basic and haven’t had any remodeling that I can tell but we only saw our room. We stayed in their superior suite. Huge deck with a fantastic view. Two plastic chairs to sit on. A lounger that was bird stained and not inviting to use. The tub on the deck was so old it looked dirty and was badly chipped. The two bathroom tubs inside were in the same condition and the walls needed painting. The mattress was likely new, but cheap and so it was the typical hard mattress. Normally I can sleep on a hard mattress but this one was really bad and I didn’t sleep well at all.
Over the years, I have read many complaints about the musty smell in Mexican hotel rooms but in all the dozens of trips I have taken, it has never bothered me. This room was extremely bad and after airing it out every day, it finally became tolerable at the end of the week. We enjoyed all the space…. bedroom, living room, dining area and two bathrooms. We appreciated having the fridge. It was a bit scary using the hot plate as it looks like it is an original from the 50’s. We hadn’t planned on cooking too much so the minimal kitchen supplies were fine. We tipped the maid to wash our dishes because there was no dish cloth or dish soap to do it ourselves.
It is not a fault of the hotel, but you need to be aware that there is loud partying on Friday and Saturday nights that goes on until the wee hours of the morning and you can’t get away from it. Even with ear plugs, it was loud. But this is an issue in many of the hotels in Acapulco, depending on your location.
On the plus side, the staff are very nice and did their best to make us feel welcome. You can watch the cliff divers every night from the hotel lobby. There is free wireless internet and we could even access it sometimes from our room. And as I said earlier, the pool was lovely with plastic loungers and umbrellas if you wanted shade.
So depending on what your standards are, what price you get, and what experience you are looking for, this place may or may not work for you. For example, 15 years ago when my husband and I backpacked through Asia for one year, this would have felt like the Ritz to us and we would have been thrilled to stay here. But now we prefer a few more creature comforts and so would not return to this hotel. I would love to see an influx of money to this hotel to restore it to its glory days!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank VictoriaTraveller15

Reviewed September 3, 2013

This place is a little rustic, but the rooms where clean, I remembered this hotel as a child when my parents first took me, in the 70's it was in its hey day, very exclusive. went back as an adult, place is old but still very nice, love he cliff divers.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank amc432
Reviewed March 11, 2012

Stayed here for 4 days. Loved being able to have dinner with a lovely view. Also a great view from the room. The room is a bit "rustic" but still fine. You'll need a converter plug if you have anything to plug in with 3 prongs. I got one from the front desk. Internet was only available in the lobby. Loved the cliff divers.

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank myroes
Reviewed September 25, 2011

We were planning on staying here but with some of the reviews I read I passed on the opportunity. Instead we stayed at a hotel next to the plaza in Old Acapulco. Some reviewers advised you need a taxi, the rooms are not nice, service is bad, ect ect. I am a travel agent so I visit a lot of hotels and this one is a good hotel to stay at. We only stayed two nights in Acapulco and I would of chosen this place if I knew more about the area. Here are the real facts. Its an easy 10 minute walk from the main plaza in Old Acapulco, you do not need a taxi unless you are crippled. The service is good and the hotel is well kept. We looked at some of the rooms and they are fine, not a 4 or 5 star, but fine. For the price, it is a great bargain, hands down we would of stayed here if we had known. If you need a high floor full service mega-hotel on a sandy beach, then stay away from here. If you are looking for a nice bargain hotel near inexpensive restaurants and plenty of transportation options then you have found the right place.

Room Tip: Most rooms have an oceanview
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
6  Thank Creeping_Death_LA
Reviewed October 1, 2009

El Mirador, in 2007, was, as some have referred to her, like a tired old princess or queen. I had researched the hotel and read the good and bad reviews. MY review is that the rooms were very inexpensive, clean, and cool. When we arrived, we had no shower curtain and, although we had a little language problem, the staff remedied the situation quickly. The lifts spoken on in other reviews were both broken so you had to be of brave heart and lots of stamina to make the trip to one of the pools! It was a 342 step climb from my room to the lower pools but of, so worth it when I got there! The views were beautiful. We had a room overlooking the cliff diving so I could stand on the balcony and watch each evening. The restaurant was ok -- nothing special but nothing wrong with it, either, with two exceptions -- it opened late in the morning for me, an early riser and, service was slow. However, the heat in Mexico in June makes everything and everyone slow, so I was in no hurry! I had my son (28) traveling with me so he was more into the nightlife in town (a $7-8 US cabride each way) and he made friends quickly with hotel staff getting off work and got the grand tour, locals-style! The staff at El Mirador were friendly and kind. I saw several posts about staying away from the time-share salesmen -- I purposefully sought one out and got a free week for my time. I did get to see some of the renovated rooms and was happy that the hotel was modernizing but still keeping the "old" feel of the El Mirador in her heyday. As others stated, I definitely would NOT recommend this hotel for anyone with a disability or problems with climbing. As I am an early riser and there were no coffee-pots in room, I had to walk downhill a block to the XOXO for coffee each morning as the restaurant opened later. Would have preferred the modernization of coffee in-room but was a small inconvenience. Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed my stay. Our first day there, the room below us was being renovated -- jackhammers and who knows what else making racket! My son got the attention of one of the workers and asked if they could work on another room that week as we would be there all week. They immediately agreed and we were never disturbed again. I loved the "old" feel of the hotel and any little issue was handled, so I would definitely recommend it. If you want a ***** hotel, stay on the strip -- GO to a 5-star. I loved the whole thing about El Mirador -- the birds, the cliffs, the beautiful plants growing out of the cliffs, the seaside pool ... it's not a dream-hotel but it was a cool place to stay, in my opinion and I would definitely go back.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with friends
6  Thank MillieMcHugh
Reviewed August 13, 2009

I booked a week in this hotel in Expedia. I wanted to be in old Acapulco that's why I chose this hotel.
The hotel is right in front of famous la Quebrada where the divers jump into roaring sea every evening. It is a great show, and crowds the hotel premises every night, especially on weekends. The restaurant is supposed to be award wining but it is actually crappy. It has great view though.
The hotel has a very affordable breakfast buffet, and it is great for what you pay, one of my favorite things here it is a Mexican Trio that plays every morning.
The hotel is built in a cliff, it is from the 1950's (or 40's ). Back then, it was like one of the best or the best in Acapulco, so many Hollywod celebrities from the Golden Era stayed there.
But now, the cliffs are a big bummer. They have lifts some sort of diagonal elevators that are superslow and most of the times they don't work, one of them was like permanently broken.
The room was kind of ugly in furniture but we were given one of the best, we had a huge balcony if front of the ocean. The air condition was like non-existing, I think we were well in the mid 90s but horribly humid all the time, and the A/C seemed to be always like 85°. We complained and they sent us a fan!...
Although the hotel is on downtown, there is a jungle on one side and every morning we were awaken by a wonderful chorus of wild birds, it was amazing. One day we found a huge snake by one of the pools and the hotel staff tried to kill it. Most people would find this unpleasant (the snake in the premises), but we don't, i think it was great. The hotel has a swimming pool a little bit above the sea level and one all the way up the hill, they were both kind of dirty all the time., there is also a natural pool with sea water, we really loved this one, and it has fishes, this is one of the best things in this hotel. One of the worst things is that the hotel is located in some sort of very popular plaza, and people party there all night long, so, weekends are really noisy at night.

I think this hotel is for Mexicans only, most Americans complain too much about everything so, I wouldn't recommend my American friends to stay here, But for many reasons I would recommend it to Mexicans or Europeans, who love nature and wouldn't mind some things (like the A/C or the noise). IF YOU HAVE SOME SORT OF DISABILITY THAT REQUIRES A WHEELCHAIR DO NOT STAY IN THIS HOTEL. If you are traveling with very old people you shouldn't either. There are endless stairs for everything, and the lift are almost always broken.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
7  Thank SanDiegoFito
Reviewed March 7, 2009

My husband and I stayed at El Mirador in August 2008. In one word, the experience was LOUSY. The bedroom door rattled in the wind, the ceiling in the bathroom was falling down and the lighting was poor. In addition, there was mold in the curtains in the bedroom.
The wash cloths were torn and tattered. On the second night when we asked for and additiional wash cloth (only one was left in the bathroom) we were told that none were available.
The food was OK, especially the breakfast.
We would definitely not recommend this hotel

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple