“Great time in Mayan Palace Acapulco and a fabulous tour guide/driver” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mayan Palace Acapulco

Mayan Palace Acapulco
Ranked #7 of 179 Hotels in Acapulco
Johnson City, Tennessee
“Great time in Mayan Palace Acapulco and a fabulous tour guide/driver”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2011

We had a fabulous time at Mayan Palace Acapulco. My husband, 13yo daughter and I were there for our spring break. We are an owner, but our home resort is in the Mayan Riviera, so this was our first visit here. We chose this location so we could hook up with our friends from Mexico City (it is only about 3 1/2 hours drive from there). We LOVED this resort!!

The Resort:
We thought the Mayan Palace was outstanding. The lobby is huge and gorgeous. Great pools. Great service. Great restaurants. Great rooms. Don't stay at this resort expecting an ocean view. The ocean is at Grand Mayan. We were very happy with a pool view from our room. The Mayan Palace is near the golf course so I think on the other side of the building you look at that. We are not golfers, so pool/beach is where we hung out.
Check in:
very easy. We are owners so we know the drill: they won't let you check in before the check in time. We were there 2 hours early. There is a beautiful lobby to hang out in - very nice after a long trip here. We went back to the front desk in an hour and they were able to give us our room.
Rooms:
We had a Master Suite on the first floor. It was beautiful!! Beds are typical Mexico - firm beds. We all thought it was great. Kitchen is small but has everything you need: Small refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker, blender, 2 burner stove, no oven. We typically eat breakfast, lunch, snacks in the room so this is more than adequate. No laundry but we used the laundry service that they offer. You give them your clothes and they are returned the next day (or the same day if you drop it off early). Who wants to do laundry on vacation anyway??
Service:
FABULOUS!! Daily maid service and daily turn down service. And there were 3 or 4 people at the front entrance who would help you with anything you wanted. We arrived early with groceries, so they packed the groceries in ice while we waited for our room. Fitness Center is great, but my daughter was too young to use it. I did have a massage at Brio (wonderful). You have to pay for internet at the business center. We didn't use it. Our friends had cars and used the valet parking service. They called when they left their room to go to the lobby and the cars were waiting for us when we arrived.
Restaurants on site:
There are 3 Mayan Palace properties and there are shuttles that will take you to the other properties. We ate at Samba's (think that's the name @ Mayan Palace) twice, Mondo's (@ Grand Mayan) for sushi, and Il Forno (@ Sea Garden) for Italian. All great and good prices.
Pools and Beach:
FABULOUS!!!! Small water parks (too small for our daughter but looked fun), very large pools and our favorite: the Lazy River. We LOVED that. So relaxing and fun!! They have inner tubes for you to use, but one time they were out and my daughter and I floated/walked it and it was just as fun. They have pools/water parks/lazy river at both Mayan Palace and Grand Mayan. The beach is at Grand Mayan. The beach was beautiful. It is at the Grand Mayan property a short shuttle ride over. For a small fee you could get a palapa to get some shade. Very worth it. They have waiters that come by at the beach and at the pools to see if you want anything to drink. Vendors are at the beach since it is a public area. The resort posts warnings about vendors - they cannot be held liable. I did get a $10 massage (40 minutes on the beach) and my daughter, who is an experienced rider, galloped her horse up and down the beach for less than $10. Depends on your experience level on what they let you do. It's a great swimming beach with fun waves. I enjoyed hanging out in the shade and watching the waves. For just hanging out at the pool, we stayed at Mayan Palace pools since they were less crowded.
Transportation:
I HIGHLY recommend getting a driver rather than renting a car. The Mexican driving is CRAZY and getting a driver is much cheaper than renting a car. We arranged for a driver ahead of time. This was a great idea. Our driver was Sebastian Hernandez. He met us at the airport with a sign with our names on it. Super easy!! Before dropping us off at the hotel, he gave us a complimentary stop at the Mega Store for groceries and walked us around so we could find what we needed. Really helpful!! Sebastian has lots of tours to offer. This is what we did: tour of Acapulco. We saw the Chapel of Peace, Flamingo Hotel, Cliff Divers, Diego Rivera mosaic mural, and great shopping. My husband had an awesome fishing trip. Not only did he catch an 8 1/2 foot Sail Fish but they also found a pod of about 1,000 dolphins (no joke). We also did a snorkeling/diving trip. Sebastian took us on all these tours. He has people he trusts that he works with. in fact, we did not have good visibility on the snorkeling/dive so my husband did not do his second dive and they refunded his money. The resort does do tours as well, but Sebastian's rates were much more reasonable. You can contact Sebastian Hernandez at: [eskp_rsh@hotamil.com]

Bottom line: We can't wait to come back!! Great rooms, great pools, fabulous beach, awesome service!!! And Sebastian is our friend forever!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
10 Thank Ann143

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2011

Do not participate in the sales presentation it is a scam. No matter how you dice it, this is not a win situation. My wife and I own other timeshares and this was the most fraudulent experience we've been involved in.

• Stayed February 2011
8 Thank drking112
Glen Ellyn, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2011

My husband and I just got back from 6 days in Acapulco. I had to write this to put a plug in for Benjamin Alercon as a guide and driver and to say how safe we felt. Benjamin took us on a day long fascinating tour of Acapulco. He also met us at the airport and took us grocery shopping. We stayed at the Mayan Palace and loved the facilities. We wished it was on the ocean but the shuttles came regularly and dropped us off at the Grand Mayan. Both pools were equally nice. The resort was very quiet because of the bad publicity Acapulco was getting. My husband and I felt very safe around the resort and when walking around Acapulco on our own. I felt sorry for the people of Acapulco. They were really suffering from the lack of American tourists. They are very angry at the media and the Mexicans fighting each other in the hills. Police were all over the city. I walked and ran by myself off of our resort and had no problems. If you are thinking of travellin to Acapulco I would say go. You will get excellent service from your hotel and restaurants.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank mcthGlenellyn
BURLINGTON
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2011

Visited the new Mayan Palace with 5 other family members. The new rooms are very nice. We had 2 suites, one facing the pool, the other a golf course view (that's a laugh; it is an empty field). The pools and lazy river are great. The children's area is good for those who have younger ones with them.

The staff were very friendly and helpful. They tried to assist in any way they could. The grounds are immaculate. Staff were always busy weeding, trimming, power washing and maintaining the property. The housekeeping staff were efficient as well.

One downside is the new location, a shuttle ride away from the beach and other areas of activity. Most of the time the shuttles were prompt but we did wait 10 minutes on at least one occasion. We much preferred the location of the older buildings, close to the pools and ocean.

A couple of small annoyances were the very small coffee makers in the rooms. 4 cup units that really only make 2 decent size cups of coffee. Another was the exercise area. There is none at the Mayan Palace. It is located in the Grand Mayan, so it is a shuttle ride away. Then after you've had a good workout (the equipment is first rate) and you're all hot and sweaty, you can't use the showers there because you're staying at Mayan Palace and that doesn't include use of any of the spa facilities. Also the cost of internet service at this resort is outrageous at a time when it is free at many budget hotel chains in the US & Canada.

The resort was very quiet during our visit that was during our mid term break; far from being full. T

This is our 3rd trip to Acapulco and each time we have used Ismael Silva as our driver. He speaks excellent English and is very knowledgeable and accommodating. We scheduled our arrival with him via email. He picked us up at the airport and took us back there when it was time to leave. We would highly recommend Ismael as your personal driver and tour guide. His email is listed in the tour guide section of this website. PM me if you can't locate his number or email address.

Room Tip: Try to get a pool view.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank NLVC1220
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2011

We traveled as a group of 4 adults with 4 kids ranging from 1 to 15 yrs old. The hotel and grounds were beautiful - especially the entryway and spacious lobby. We were in a 2-bedroom suite which we found quite nice. The kitchen in the room gave us a great option for eating - especially with the kids along. The kids loved the water park and we thought it was better than the Grand Mayan's. The lazy river was a favorite of everyone's. As others have said, the hotel isn't on the beach but is a short shuttle ride over to the Grand Mayan where easy access to the gorgeous beach is available - inconvenient but not a big deal. The restaurant at the Mayan Palace was quite nice with a menu we could all enjoy and dining poolside at night was a real treat.

To explore the city, we needed to book transportation, which really bit into our cash. Rides to the downtown Zocalo market area ran 200-300 pesos (we needed a van rather than a car to handle our large group). Day trips ran 800-1000 pesos with tip. We booked a fabulous driver - Carlos Paloalto Rivera [--] on 3 outings. Carlos is a former English teacher and was easy to understand. He is a certified tour operator and often provides tours for visiting cruise ships. The location of the Mayan Palace on Punta Diamante and maybe 30 minutes from the Acapulco Bay was the only real drawback on the trip but the regular rides into town let us get to know Acapulco better. At no time did we feel threatened or unsafe and found the people we met to be gracious and friendly.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank fawtandthebaby
London, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2011

My name is Shannon. My family and I travelled to Acapulco to stay at the Mayan Palace Resort. We had a fabulous time. I brought my hubby and two girls, ages two and 4 months old. I was a little worried about the resort I've read mixed reviews - but I have never stayed at a more grand place. My family and I had a great time. Our one bedroom condo overlooked the pool and connected to my friends condo right next to us. We brought along our friends who are also a family of four. The rooms were clean, spacious, and well stocked with appliances. The grounds were absolutely stunning, and the service was superb. My family and I and the friends we were travelling with were a bit worried about the onsite amenities for our kids. Those worries were not necessary. The aqua park was awesome. My daughter never got off the slides, and the lazy river and surrounding pools were a great treat! The food was yummy and had big portions. We never ate better. I recommend getting the breakfast buffet package at the Grand Mayan - our kids ate free and it was a fair price for all of us adults for the week. We wanted to make sure we felt safe at all times, to and from the airport. We hired a driver named Sebastian Hernandez . He was very helpful, and well equipped with the knowledge of the city. He guided us to and from the airport, he greeted us with a big smile and sign with our names on it. He fulffilled on all his promises that he made us. We had a great tour. We went to see the cliff divers and he took us to the market. Never once did I feel worried or uneasy about our day trip. Sebastian was truly a one of a kind tour guide that made our experience that much better. He spoke excellent english and I was surprised with his very reasonable rates. I would recommend this driver to any person, especially famlies that want that little extra peace of mind and comfort knowing you are in good hands in Acapulco. If you wish to get a hold of Sebastian, you can email him at eskp_rsh@hotmail.com.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank Shannon65
Southfield, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2011

Spent one week at the Mayan Palace, Feb. 19 - 26, 2011. First time visit. There were not a lot of people at the resort, which was ideal for us. Weather was 80 - 90. The two bedroom unit we had was very nice, down side - Need new flat screen TV and DVD for movies and no laundry facilities in the rooms. Stove & refrigerator small, but adequate.
Security is very tight, armed guards were very visible, which made us feel comfortable as we moved around Acapulco. Efforts are being made to make tourist feel safe. We had Baldo Gomez and his nephew, Raymond as our guides. WONDERFUL gentlemen. Thanks to other reviewers for recommending him. HIghly recommend Baldo, speaks English very well and knowledgable. Contact: www.asisturacapulco.com, 744-160-1604.

Carolyn