“Awesome Acapulco”

Ranked #110 of 179 Hotels in Acapulco
Toronto, Canada
“Awesome Acapulco”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

The Romano Palace and Hotel is just off the main street by the beaches in Acapulco, where the Pacific can come roaring. There are several eateries close by including a McDonald's and the hotel is quite family friendly and relatively calm considering the noisy and rowdy gatherings close by especially late evenings. Our floor was right on top so in addition to a grand view of the beach and the ocean, we could avoid the noise to a large extent. The only problem with the package tour at Romano Palace is the food which is interesting to start with and at the end of the week, one realizes that its the same food that we have been eating since Day 3. The staff are quite friendly but one has to tip them after every meal or they could be pretty cranky.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

Ok so this review is long overdue but will seem a little out of place. I actually stayed at this hotel during spring break of my senior year of college back in 2006. I can almost guarantee you that very little has changed and most of this information is still relevant. My buddies and I booked through a travel agent and got a great deal. We weren't paying the absurd prices of other college spring breakers who booked the fancy, upscale hotels/resorts.

POSITIVES
- Cheap
- Rooms have balconies
- Hotel is not on the beach itself, BUT if you're on a floor that is high enough, you have a great view of the ocean directly across the street. The view is nice and even the lights of the city look great at night.
- Spent most of our time at that beach across the street and it was beautiful as you'd expect from Mexico. But beware, leave anything unattended and it WILL be stolen by locals. Happened to almost everyone we encoutered that week, including us.
- Also across the street from a restaurant/bar and even bungy jumping (over water). Two of my friends did this and have their video footage that comes along with it for their memories.
- It's right on the main strip so if you walk left or right there are plenty of shops and nightlife.
- The food and drinks are all inclusive...or at least they offer that package.

NEGATIVES
- It took them forever to check us in (but hey, it was sprink break season with tons of college kids leaving and new ones checking in...so it is what it is).
- The elevator is the WORST I've ever encountered...period. And the older heads of my family grew up in the projects of Brooklyn (Marcy) where I've visited often. And STILL this hotel's elevator is the worst. They only have one and it takes forever. It got to the point where we used the employee/service elevator. Problem was that other people had that idea too and THAT became absurdly slow. So we basically walked up and down most times...and we were up on the 11th or 12th floor.
- The rooms are outdated and unimpressive, (big tube tv's, hardly any furniture...I truly hope they've upgraded since, lol).
- Our room had 2 doubles and a single. All three beds weren't very comfortable but the single was the absolute worst. It was hard as a rock.
- The pool area was small, overcrowded and seemed dirty. I visited people at other hotels and their pools put romano's to shame. We spent almost zero time there.
- The service was rather slow for most things like drink service. Some servers were very nice however. But a good number of them were constantly requesting tips. At times they'd even refuse service if you didn't oblige. Perhaps that's because we were playing drinking games and ordered a lot and often. But it's possible they're always like that. We mainly got beers and shots because the mixed drinks were definitely watered down.
- If you like to sleep, that will be a problem, as the area is full of establishments playing music and making noise. Pretty much a no-sleep zone.
- While the beach IS right across from the hotel, the street you have to cross is 2-ways, with 3 to 4 lanes for each way. It's super busy and can be extremely time consuming or dangerous to cross, be warned.
- Customer service isn't easy to deal with and seems put off most of the time.

TIP 1 - negotiate with cab drivers to get a better rate. They'll often try and charge you more initially. You can also take the bus...it's crazy cheap.

TIP 2 - if you do the nightlife thing...hit up Palladium, it's fun and has the most ridiculous view from the men's room through chic glass design overlooking the landscape. Seriously unreal

OVERALL my friends and I were there to get drunk and party so we weren't demanding, pretentious guests. We didn't complain about anything and had a relatively decent stay. You get what you pay for with this one. It's inexpensive so you can't expect to have a 5-star experience. Wouldn't recommend it for the older crowd or families. But if you want cheap and just a place to crash...give it a whirl.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Rob M
Vladivostok, Russia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012

I was unlucky to stay at that hotel this year and I will never forget that wonderful stay. First of all I had problems right upon the arrival. I booked my room via internet and the transaction was successfully completed. But when I arrived and got the keys from my room, people from the reception called me and said that I had to pay for the room. I said to them that I did it already and then they started to convince me that problem was in me and so on. It appeared that there was something wrong with their online booking and my money were first withdrawn and then sent back (but it took a month for me to see them again). It was not 100% their fault but the way they treated me in this situation was ridiculous. The quality of the rooms is poor and the only thing that I liked was the view to the ocean. It was difficult to sleep at nights because of the music outside (bars, cafes etc.) even though we got back to our room no earlier than 3 am. But there is the most horrible thing that is awaiting you there. It's their elevator. It's funny but it's a fact - in order to get the elevator to your floor you have to call the man in the elevator and tell him the number of the floor you live on. Then in a while he comes together with the elevator and gets you down, collecting other residents on the other floors. We lived on the 24th floor, and were always waiting for 10 minutes until the elevator comes to us. It's totally is not worth it for the price I paid per night - around $200 for the room.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank Evgeniy K

Travelers are raving about these Acapulco hotels

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

My boyfriend and I visited Romano Palace end of Febuary 2012. The hotel is located right in the middle of the clubs, shopping area and literally a 2 minute walk from the beach. You should know right away that if you get a room that has the ocean view than it will be noisy until 4 or 5 in the am because there is a club right across the hotel. This was not a big issue for us as we were there to party and we were usually out till around that time. The towels and sheets were clean, if you leave a tip for the maid, she will take great care of your room. The tv is old but it works, and really you are not going on the vacation to watch tv so what does it matter.
The pool: Not the best place to go if you expect a fancy pool with a swim up bar. The pool bar was not working when we went because most people preffered to go to the beach. However, the pool itself was clean and we just bought a bottle in the liquor store nearby and drank that. The bottle was about 10 dollars Canadian.
This is an almost all inclusive resort, you will be fed until 10 and you will be able to get drinks until 11.
Food: Generally wasn't very great. However breakfast was pretty good. Don't get discouraged, you can live off of the food they provide but also there are a lot of food places near the hotel, which include pizza hut, burger kind, mcdonalds, kfc and so on. Prices at these places are generally the same as here in Toronto but wow the food was amazing, especially at burger king which was btw located in a mall about 10 min from the hotel. They make everything fresh and surve you restaurant style.
Service overall was pretty good, we didnt really have many issues.
Clubs: Club right across from the hotel Paradiso, I think was the best, it was 10-20 Canadian ( dont remember the price in pesos) to get in, and you are able to drink all you want up until 4 or 5 am. You do have to tip your server, so bring extra money for that, they will serve you faster. Entertainment at the club was overall good. Lots of dancing.
The Beach: the beach was amazing but the waves are very violent, you won't be able to sit in the water too much if thats what your looking for. Also when we went it was extremely hot so make sure to bring a lot of sunscreen with you, otherwise you will burn.
Overall we enjoyed our stay at Romano Palace and generally have no complaints. Especially considering the price we paid. The prize goes to the location, if you do go, don't be afraid to walk around because the city itself is gorgeous.

Room Tip: If you want to sleep, don't choose a room facing the ocean, it will be loud!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Yana L
Toledo, OH
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2012

Hotel is in the prime area of Acapulco. Across the street from the Beach, however there are many public access points. Several famous beach bars across the street. Remember they party all night at the beach bars, take ear plugs. This hotel is a very reasonable vacation with beach and sunny weather. Nice vacation for a reasonable price. Rooms by the pool are less noisy at night and only one flight of stairs, so no waiting on elevators.

Room Tip: A lot of restaurants within walking distance, sit down and fast food.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Nysewander
Ocala, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

Remember that you get what you pay for, dont come expecting a four star stay! I stayed here a few years ago with some girlfriends and we received an excellent rate for a week long stay. The staff was friendly and spoke a tremendous amount of English. The rooms are older and yes, a bit muggy, but we weren't upset because: A. we expected a little humidity in Mexico and B. we weren't there to spend any time in the hotel except to sleep. The rooms were adequately attended to by housekeeping, the bathroom was large and very clean and the beds were comfortable. The elevator was slow and creaky but being young and energetic we decided to just use the stairs. The beach is directly across the street and the view is spectacular. There is easy access to restaurants and tourist spots and we felt very safe. This hotel allowed us to have a lovely vacation with a great rate and accessibility along with a clean place to sleep and kind staff. If you are looking for a resort setting, this isn't your place but if you need the amenities I described, don't hesitate to visit!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank businesstraveler009
AndrosBS
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2012

I stayed here a couple years back and had a great stay. The room was incredible in the size and the view was spectacular.

The hotel staff was very nice and pleasant and most important helpful in getting me anything I needed to enjoy all of what Acapulco had to offer.

This is by far the best value of any hotel outside of old town and I heartily recommend it for singles, couples and families.

Room Tip: Oceanfront rooms can be a little loud from the nightclubs across the street, but, It did not bother...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo