“little gem”

Ranked #28 of 167 Hotels in Acapulco
Vancouver, Canada
“little gem”
Reviewed February 13, 2011

Clean hotel. Yes, it's a bit outdated in terms of furniture and finishes, but well kept. The rooms are large, round in shape, airy, light and interesting.
The beach is impeccable and due to hotel's size less busy than the rest of the private hotel beaches.
The staff is pleasant and friendly...of course- if you are friendly and not grumpy like some North Americans.
The restaurant has good selection of food (breakfasts, seafood, fruits etc) and a great happy hour.
Pool looked good, but I do not frequent pools if there is a beach close by, so I can't really say much about it.
The maintenance person promptly showed up to fix the AC in our room after we called them, and were accompanied by a security guard.
No insects! The hotel fumigates once a week (they provide a notice to each room), but I am thankful for insect-free vacation.
The hotel photos on their website don't do it justice, and got me scared a bit before arriving, but I was pleasantly surprised once there.
Don't expect a plush and elaborate luxury here, it's a modest but affordable and comfortabe little gem.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Amberg, Deutschland
Reviewed January 28, 2011

Malibu hotel is a small hotel which compared to the hotels around it looks quite tiny and maybe won´t call your attention but it´s really worth it!

We were there in Low season so we got a price offer which is a pay 2 nights get 1 for free, which brings you to the price range of the hotels which are a few blocks from the beach but this one is directly at the beach. We stayed 6 nights in total.

Comming from spending the night before our arrival in a broken down hotel, we came to this hotel first of all because of its location. Its in front of the Golf Club from Acapulco, on the main street and on the Golden area of Acapulco on the Playa Icacos. Restaurants, Bars, Discos, Cinema, Bunjee Jumping and everything u can think of is walking distance.

The rooms are quite nice and clean with a nice Terrace with chairs and a table to spend nice time. Every room is equipped with a Fridge were you can store some drinks or food during your stay. The bathroom is quite spacious and very clean. And everything is very well maintained.

The swimming pool area not too big but it is enough: one little pool for the kids with a slide and an hexagonal pool with different depths for the adults. There are enough chairs and leaners for everyone, and the personal from the pool are always attentive and friendly if you need a Parasol, Fresh towels, or anything at the pool or the beach.

The restaurant and the bar where the food is quite good, is located besides the pool and with view to the beach. The waiters also serve drinks in platic glasses to you if you are in the pool if you want. There is a good variety in food and drinks and everything we tried from typical mexican food to Filet Mignon were very tasty and well prepared.

A HIGHLIGHT was having breakfast at the Restaurant of the hotel, we got to see a Whale that came into the bay. But I have to accept, that´s not normal and had never happened before and I´ve been going to Acapulco for at least 30 years!

Most people who stay there are Time-share owners, so the atmosphere is very friendly and relaxing. And there is fortunately no pool entertainment.

Only bad thing is that in this area of Acapulco bay, the tides are normally rough so unless you are a very good swimmer and know how to avoit a big wave from breaking on you, you shouldn´t go in to the sea. BUT if you walk like 10 minutes to the left from the hotel, the tides are much lower and the further left you go, the waves go smaller and the ocean floor turns flatter, so people who can´t swim so good can go in without problems. OR COURSE paying attention to the Tide banners hanging in every hotel and beach access and what the locals tell you about it. Another option is always to go to the right side of the bay toward old acapulco where the beaches are mainly flat and waveless. Or if you like waves and surf go to Revolcadero or Princess Beach.

We were very satisfied with the Hotel

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Ensenada, Mexico
Reviewed May 5, 2010

$109.00 per night to stay in this dump! The rooms are furnished with 1940 cheap Motel Six furniture that they probably got from some mental institution. The bed's are as hard as a sheet of marble. I got stuck in a room that faces the street with a restaurant directly below and the trash can has to be directly below me. The smell is really bad! I am writing this while I am in my room and there is construction going on right now. Hammers, drills and yelling and it's 10:00 p.m........ I called the front desk and they said they could not move me so I am going to another hotel tomorrow morning. I have stayed here many times for business but this is the last time. The restaurant is good but they have raised their prices and the pool and beach is good but then again you sleep, or try to, in the rooms. It seems here in Mexico that when tourism is down the hotels raise their prices instead of trying to keep the same standards. I'm really disappointed. DO NOT STAY HERE! YOU WILL REGRET IT!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
8 Thank bajapi
Traverse City, MI
Reviewed February 18, 2010

My husband and I have been to this hotel 4 times in the past three years. It is a very small hotel that is directly on the beach. All of the friendly staff bend over backwards to make you happy. The outdoor restaurant has a great menu and the prices are the best you will find on the beach.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sunshinelover95
Escanaba
Reviewed February 17, 2009

My friend and I stayed here for the first time for 2 weeks in Jan. 2009. Extremely clean. Lovely decor. Good bar and restaurant with a beautiful view of Acapulco Bay. The only problem was the mosquitos that bit us. Maybe it was all of the trees and flowers that drew them. There were alot of plants right around our balcony. One night they were fogging with a machine into the trees. Clouds of insecticide. A little scary.

1 Thank consuela2
milwaukee, wisconsin
Reviewed August 24, 2007

Acapulco is traditionally a vacation spot for Mexicans and the Malibu held true to this tradition. It seemed as if we were the only Norte Americanos in the hotel, although there were some Germans, so I know there weren't only Mexican families.

The hotel was very family-oriented. The pool was full of children at all times, which was perfect for my 7 and 8 year old. The Mexican kids taught my children some Spanish and got to practice their English skills with my family. Guests and staff alike were nice and helpful.

The hotel offers poolside food service which we used quite a bit. It costs what a restaurant costs and can get pricey if you're just sitting around the pool drinking and snacking all day. There are refrigerators in the rooms which was handy for snacks and beverages for when the pool was closed or we needed a break from the sun. We were also able to keep breakfast in the room as well.

The hotel is directly on the beach. Guests can have a cabana set up on the beach . We never had trouble with getting a seat by the pool or a cabana in the three days we were there.

The water at this beach is not for "swimming." My family had a great time body surfing and letting the waves smack us around, but it is not like a pool. The ocean can be rough. If we wanted swimming and playing underwater, we used the hotel pool.

The hotel was perfect logistically for what we wanted. We had just spent five busy days in D.F. and all we wanted out of Acapulco was sun and water. The hotel was perfect for this. It was basically in the middle to eastern part of the bay. We could reach shopping, restaurants, or a grocery store by walking, although we did use the bus (cheap!) during the day when it was hot.

The hotel is a small structure. It looks like it must have been one of the first ones on the beach before high-rise hotels and condos became the norm. This is not to say it out-dated. It simply isn't tall. My family did not have problems with that and because traditionally lobbies and hallways are not air conditioned here, it was nice to be able to easily walk up to our room. The room itself was nothing fancy. Travelers with experience outside of the U.S. will not be surprised by the simplicity of the room. Our room had a balcony with a small view of the bay and a small view of the mountains--we liked it. The bathroom did not air condition well, so we just kept the door closed. We had no trouble with the air conditioning and in fact, sometimes we turned it down, it worked so well. Beds were comfortable, towels were big. The maids had our room cleaned so quickly each day; I was truly impressed.

Although I think I would try to experience a less-touristy coastal city the next time I visit Mexico, I would definately stay at the Malibu again if I visit Acapulco.

• Liked — family-friendly, everything there we needed
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
4 Thank opdobs
Midwest
Reviewed January 4, 2007

I was a little leary about this hotel because there were no pictures and very little current information on trip advisor, so here is a rundown of what I think others would like to know:

The room- it was pretty large, adequate space, adequate bed. Nothing luxurious, but if you're like us, you aren't holed up in the room all day. It has a mini fridge, television and balcony. It DOES NOT have a hairdryer, microwave or in room safe, so make accomadations for that if needed. We got lucky with a top floor room with an ocean view, which was amazing, but I know that most of the rooms did not have ocean views.

The location- Wonderful! It is basically right in the middle of the main street in acapulco and nothing is very far away. The luxury hotels like the princess or the Mayan hotel are about a 45 minute drive and there is nothing over there. Those people that spent a lot of money on those hotels have to take 45 minute cab rides over to the main area. So the Acapulco Malibu is very conveniently located, only a few minutes from the hustle and bustle.

The beach-EEK! It's gorgeous, but the tides are pretty strong and the sand is like gravel. It made it really hard to walk on. It's about as grainy as what you would put in a fish tank. It's newer natural sand, so it hasn't been quite pounded away yet. Make SURE, to get a "casita" (canopy) on the beach early in the morning because the shade is much needed midday. There are NO TREES for shade, so you really need something.

The restaurant- Fantastic! Excellent service, inexpensive (meals are from 5-9 bucks), good drinks, good food. It's not a four star or anything, but neither are the prices. The breakfast egg dishes are delicious as well as the nachos and ceviche. The blended drinks are very good too. We sampled a lot over the week, and it was all very good. I would skip the chicken tacos, only because they're boring.

The Staff- very friendly and helpful. The money exchange rate is pretty decent as well. At least a few of them speak pretty good English, if it's needed.

Overall pros- the hotel was adequate and nice, the food was good, and the view was gorgeous. It gets the job done on a budget.

Overall cons- no hairdryers, no microwaves, not really a fun pool, grainy sand, pool towels have to be returned by 6 pm.

• Liked — The view from our room
  • Disliked — The pool
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple