“One of the worst place I have ever stayed!!”

Hotel El Presidente Acapulco
Ranked #128 of 169 Hotels in Acapulco
Reviewed April 16, 2009

Let me preface by saying that I used to work in the Hotel / Restaurant industry and have traveled a fair amount (domestic and abroad). With that said, I usually travel with an open mind and only have minimal or no expectations whatsoever, so my reviews are honest and accurate.

When we arrived, we were greeted by the valet staff (friendly and accommodating). From there it sorta went downhill. When we made the reservations, we reserved 2 rooms (1 suite and 1 double) and requested they'd be adjoining or at least on the same floor as we had children and a senior citizen traveling with us. That was not the case, one was on the 12th (get off on the 11th and walk a flight of stairs) and the other was on the 7th floor. Mind you the hotel room on the 7th floor was much nicer than the so-called suite on the 12th floor. They had to issue remotes for the televisions and air conditioners, which would work intermittently. Beside the remotes, here are a list of discrepancies or structural damages:
* no trash cans (called 5 times before receiving one)
* no towels
* no blankets for the pull out sofa (futon) and only 1 pillow
* no a/c vent in the bathroom - so when the sun was shining in the bathroom, turned it into a sauna (suite)
* bathroom door/latch was broken so couldn't close (suite)
* no clocks
*windows did not open in the suite
*slow elevators

We were never explained or told that the hotel owned some beach chairs/umbrellas for guests use, so we had to rent from a local vendor. Not really a big issue. We didn't eat in the restaurant so to be fair, we can't give it a review. Anyhow, we were very disappointed with the accommodations and service or shall I say, lackthereof. After giving the El Presidente a chance to redeem themselves for two days, we decided to contact RCI and file a complaint. The end result, we were relocated to a much more suitable and comfortable property. I would have hate having our vacation ruined by a hotel but that's exactly what occurred at the El Presidente.

I consider myself a very fair traveler but this was absolutely one of the worst hotel I have ever stayed!!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank oceanlvr520

Reviewed April 7, 2009

My daughter and I just returned from a week long stay at the el Presidente Acapulco. We had read the reviews saying it was a dump...wife wouldn't stay...poor service in the coffee shop and were more than a little nervous about our stay. We were very satisfied with the hotel. The staff were very pleasant, our room was freshly painted, enormous, and everything worked fine. The views are incredible, and the pool and beach area were inviting. The hotel is 50 years old, and some of the time you can see that...but we found it to be a great value and would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
4  Thank oakdalelady2002
Reviewed June 16, 2008

Fortuntately for us we did NOT experience cockroaches in our room, dangling wires, dirty sheets or filthy bathrooms. However, I cannot say the place is the lap of luxury. In fact it was downright uncomfortable.

The beds were so hard I thought I had dislocated my hip by the third night of sleeping on them. Approximately 35% of the poolside and beach furniture is broken. You either had to stack two chairs to create something that would support your weight or keep your butt from falling out the bottom. And don't even THINK about moving the chaises to the lower level overlooking the beach. Pablo the patio Nazi will take them from you and march them back up to the poolside to be joined with the rest of the crap. No good reason for this. Just being controlling.

Our TV looked as though it had fallen from its mounting with the cracked lower left hand corner. The balcony looked as thought it could fall off the side of the building, the pool was clean enough but very outdated. Only 2 little metal ladders for entry and exit.

The only reason we stayed was because we had been given a coupon for a weeks' stay for only $300 and the room passed the cleanliness inspection. Other than that it IS a dump.

Portions of ceiling had fallen to the floor in the bathroom below the pool deck, water remained sitting on the floor of the women's bathroom so it iwas out of order the entire tiem. Sections of souffet were missing from under the lobby level, the windows were dirty and all in all the place needed a good scrub and paint job. Do yourself a favor and walk about a block north to the Fiesta American. It is gorgeous!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank scuber
Reviewed April 22, 2008

We were so disgusted with this hotel, we only stayed one night, and then got transfered to another hotel. Not only is it extremely dirty, but most of the hotel staff were ignorant and rude. We attempted to eat at the restaurant El Gaucho, however the waitstaff didn't seem to have the time for us. We ordered a drink and decided to eat elsewhere. It took an extremely long time to get the bill for 2 drinks. I will never go back.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with friends
2  Thank Acachick
Reviewed February 19, 2008

My wife and I [seniors] spent the week of Feb 10-17 of 2008 in this hotel. Reading all the negative reviews had us more than a little worried, but, while it wasn't really good, it wasn't too bad. Yes the tile grout in the floor could have definately used some cleaning and yes the paint on wood trim going to the closet was chipped almost to non-existence from many suitcases passing through. But we had a magnificient view of the beach and the bay that occupied our attention. The staff was very friendly and helpful. My wife suffered a broken foot at a nearby restaurant and the doctor in the hotel responded beautifully as did all the wait staff.
The description of the hotel indicates "all inclusive", but that's not correct. It's a regular hotel with two restaurants. The "Goucho" seemed a little pricey and geared to a younger croud than us old folks, so we ate several times in their family restaurant "Bugaliciuos" or some such name. The food was good, but the offerings were the same every day while we were there. They could use a little variety. They have the friendliest waiters there who give the worst service we've ever experienced. Every step of every meal seems like a big deal.. getting a glass of water or a coffee refill is a major accomplishment and getting your bill at the end of the meal almost impossible. On the other hand they greet you like a long lost friend and are available to talk about the local sights or anything else. It's a wonderful chance to try out your Spanish speaking skills.

1  Thank hman10
Reviewed February 8, 2008

My wife and I made reservations at this hotel and decided to give this hotel a chace even after reading most of the bad reviews. We thought we would give it a chance because you can not always judge a place on another persons experience plus we got a deal through where it only cost us like $22.00 a night to stay at El Presidente for 7 nights.

We only stayed for a few hours after getting thereand then went to another hotel. My wife did not like it and I was not too crazy about the place either. First of all the elevator did not work and it was a long wait to get one that did work. Second the towlet backed up after using it for the first time and third the floor and shower did not look that clean. So that's when we went to another hotel and enjoyed our 7 day stay elsewhere in Alcapulco, Mexico.

If you have to pay full price to stay here I surely would use my money to stay somewhere a little better. Even if it is not 5 star you can probably do better elsewhere rather staying at El Presidente!

The only thing good I can say is that it was in a good location and the room had a great view of the water.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank HotRodFortWorth_TX
Reviewed January 24, 2008

The first night staying at El Presidente went pretty good...except the AC wouldn't work, so my friends and i were sweating all night. When it finally started to work it was SO loud...sleeping was impossible. The second night wasn't so great, My room actually got broken into while i was laying in my pJs on my bed....When i told the manager at the front desk, he said there was nothing that they could do, and didn't even ask if i wanted my money back. luckily nothing got stolen! The food wasn't amazing, but it wasn't bad. I will say that the hotel is in a GREAT location....with an amazing view. The bell boys were super helpful/delightful. I wouldn't recommend staying here.

Jen