“Re-review: FA Villas Acapulco gains a star” 5 of 5 stars

Fiesta Americana Villas Acapulco
Ranked #6 of 179 Hotels in Acapulco
GreenLeadersGold level
Cuernavaca
“Re-review: FA Villas Acapulco gains a star”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

I wrote a pretty extensive review of the facilities etc in a previous review, so won't go over all that again. But I just returned to this hotel after a two-year gap and in my opinion it is even better now. So here are the reason's it has gained a star:

1 - When we came before, it was low season. This time the hotel was 100% occupied, there were people arriving as we checked in that were turned away, not one room available. This is normally when the strain on the facilities starts to show at hotels - will there be enough staff to cope? Enough sun loungers, enough beach towels, enough space around the pools, long waits for the elevators? Well, there were no problems on any count. The facilities here coped admirably under 100% use. When sun loungers ran out, they brought more. The pools are large enough to cope. Plenty of staff around. Four fast elevators meant there were no problems. Perhaps the only time we noticed was with the parking - they seemed a little swamped at times, but we didn't need access to our car from arrival to departure so for us it wasn't an issue. So rest assured that the installations in this hotel are perfectly matched to the number of rooms it holds.

2) The quality of the service is even better than before, the staff were excellent and if anything, even more discreet and professional. Last time we got a medium-intense timeshare pitch on arrival (free breakfast etc). This time we went through the same filter, but they have improved their discrimination - one or two quick questions answered and that was it. We aren't interested, and wouldn't ever be interested, and they also picked up on this very quickly, and never even went for the hard sell. Most professional.

3) The beach area is improved, with shades, umbrellas and loungers down there. There is a charge for "reservation" of these, but if you go later in the day (around 4 or later) they don't bother. Also there are are two lifeguards on duty from 7am to 5pm, which wasn't the case two years ago. In any case, be wary of the swell.

4) The music in the pool area is improved - last time, booming cheesy poppy rubbish, this time, much more chilled out jazzy covers & electronic downtempo. And all at a much more respectable volume. This really helped with the ambience.

5) While in the pool I found one of the underwater lights had come loose from it's housing, exposing a metal ring that could cause an injury. Reported it to a member of staff and within an hour the maintenance guys were there in their shorts & goggles, sorting out an underwater repair job.

6) I didn't see a single broken installation - sunshades, loungers, chairs, tables, everything in good repair, same story in our room as well.

In short, whereas everything was fine on our previous visit, this time it was excellent. Somebody somewhere has sat down and said "OK, we're good, but how can we be better still?". Little details matter, and somebody is paying attention to them. I had the impression that the management are truly taking pride in their hotel and their levels of customer service. They should be commended. So a jump from four to five stars. Check my other reviews - I don't throw those around like confetti!

Room Tip: Same as before - junior suites have a full service kitchen, so skip to eyewatering cost of the hotel...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Bo_Duke

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
London, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

I traveled with my sister here by ourselves. We arrived in our room and I was so disappointed. The room had one bed, did not have a safe and the bathtub was black. It was horrible. My sister went down to complaint and they said that they couldn't do anything. I was so mad so I grabbed my luggage went there myself and told them that I wanted a room that I paid for. One with a safe, one that had a clean bathroom and one that I didn't have to share a bed with my sister lol. I wasn't rude about it however the gentleman at the front desk could tell I was not in the greatest mood. He then told me that he would put me in one of the best rooms in the hotel. Well I'm sure they did because the next room was probably the nicest rooms I have ever stayed in. I had everything that I paid for and more. They went out of there way to make my sister and I happy. Our room had a wrap around balcony with the balcony over the ocean it was amazing. I didn't ask for an upgrade I just wanted the stuff that I paid for. So for them to do that was very nice. We didn't have any problems other then that at the hotel. As for feeling safe. Felt safe most of the time the only time I didn't was when I was going out for dinner and the cab driver didn't take us straight there. He was kinda fishy and drove us to this back alley telling us he had to give something to his friend. Thank goodness no one was there he took off and took us to dinner. I didn't think anything of it at the time because we didn't know our way around. So we didn't know we were going to end up there. Omg that was the only time I felt unsafe. But I would recommend this hotel. I just recommend if its just females traveling make sure you be extra careful.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Christina M
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

This was not my first stay at Fiesta Americana, but so far, it was the best. I stayed in their premier 3BR suite, on the top floor. This suite is set apart from the rest in that it comes with a large balcony, about as large as the living room/kitchen combo, and features a dining table under a pergola, and a large (8+ person) jacuzzi. All with phenomenal unobstructed views of the Acapulco bay.
The service at this hotel was excellent; better in years past. The front desk staff were welcoming and very helpful, allowing early check-in, and making sure we got both the side of the hotel that we asked for, and a few things we asked for for the room when we booked.
I made a few special requests, and they were all handled efficiently and gracefully. Including making sure that while I was wearing the bracelet required, I did not want to be approached by the time share sales staff under any circumstances. I would like to mention Ivan at the front desk specifically, who helped me tremendously with a few other requests during my stay, and followed up to make sure that all went smoothly. For those who do not speak Spanish, there are people at the front desk who are bilingual; however the majority of the service staff do not have much (if any) English.
I found that all the staff; front desk, room service, cleaning service were all warm and friendly. I would like to say the same about security, but that is not their job - though the policy of having to register every visitor who enters is cumbersome, I can respect the fact that it is ultimately for both our security and comfort.
I had room service on several occasions, and found it fairly standard. Having a full kitchen was a welcome addition.
I am a big fan of this hotel, and would recommend it to almost anyone looking for a convenient, comfortable hotel in Acapulco

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side of the hotel have less noise. If you can get a deal on the "jacuzzi&qu...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Comitan, MX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

I was excited about staying at the fiesta americana in acapulco. I had never stayed at one before but I had always thought they looked real nice at other places I have been. As it turned out I was not as pleased as I had hoped. The building was nice enough, the view was great and the location was good for us. The negative for us was the food was really high priced for the quality. The breakfast buffet was great but really expensive as well. They charge their guests for parking and it is really noisy at night especially on the weekend. They also have a lot of rules and not all the employees are polite even though most were.

Room Tip: Try to stay away from the street because of noise at night.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank missionminded92
ISRAEL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

WThe hotel is a very nice one, very good located. Rooms are big, modern an very well equipped with fridge, micro oven, everything you should need. It has a verity small private beach, too small for my taste, with a lot of stairs that for me is not good...instead it has 2 nice swimming pools which are really nice.
All is very clean. Staff is very nice and always prepares to help.

Room Tip: Ask for see view
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank IsraelRachel
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

With much trepidation (due to reactions from friends, family & acquaintences when told we were heading to Acapulco), my husband & I decided to keep the trip we had booked spontaneously on a dreary Midwest January Saturday using soon to expire leftover rci points. We were worried about safety & had mentally readied ourselves to be sequestered on the property. The drive from the airport did nothing to allay our concern as the town looks fairly rundown. When we arrived it was all smooth sailing - staff was great - friendly & conscientious to a tee. We had a one bedroom east facing suite. A bit dated but clean & comfortable with great maid service every day. It wasn't busy so we had no problem getting whatever seating we wanted at the main pool, regardless of time. The bar was pretty dead but Miguel made us great margaritas every night & we had lively conversation w the staff when no other guests were around. As far as the city goes, we ventured out a little more each day; at first it was intimidating as we were one of two American couples in the resort (I am pretty sure the entire town) but we slowly got our bearings & felt more confident every day. All this culminated with a private tour of the city. Our driver was a friendly, hustling fellow named Jose Gonzalez who waited for us to finish dinner one evening and (literally) picked us up to take us back to FA. He convinced us to head to Old Acapulco w him the next day & the rest is history- we saw everything Acapulco has to offer and had a great time. This isn't the flashy, cater to Americans resort town we are comfortable with...this is a true Mexican resort town with real history, political maneuverings, and a point of view. The much publicized crime (mafia-drug relations gone bad according to locals - not unlike some American cities) is far from the tourist areas. The town is proud of it's glamorous past, distressed by it's recent internationally reported troubles, and determined to rebuild itself into a destination for all of North America.

Room Tip: Non-pool facing side is as quiet as it gets. You still can hear the beat from the clubs from Wed-Sat...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Deb K
Hartland, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

This was our first family trip to Mexico and I was slightly nervous. From the time we were picked up at the airport till we were dropped back off, we had absolutely the best experience at Fiesta Americana Villas!! The pool is so wonderful with plenty of activities and an awesome section just for the little ones. The staff at the pool and every restaurant were friendly, spoke English, and made every dining experience enjoyable! We were never disappointed with anything we ordered, and we laughed when our entire family agreed the pizza from the pool stone oven is the best we have ever had!! The concierge, Manuel, helped us with shuttle service to and from the airport and gave us wonderful recommendations for dinner! If you stay here look for Oscar who is one of the cab drivers outside. He gave us a wonderful city tour that was customized to our interests and very informative on the history of Acapulco. The hotel is updated, clean and friendly!! We will stay here again in the future! The staff truly cares about providing excellent customer service and making your stay memorable!!

Room Tip: We stayed on the "quiet side" not the "sunset side". We like our sleep and that...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family