“Nice location badly managed”
Review of Boca Chica Hotel

Boca Chica Hotel
Ranked #22 of 168 Hotels in Acapulco
Reviewed March 3, 2014

First, the hotel is a real design gem. From your arrival you feel the retro flair of the 50s at its best. And of course you have the most beautiful views of the Acapulco bay and la Isla Roqueta. So far so good ... but there were too many issues that affected my stay.
The rooms urgently need maintenance. In my room the alarm clock was broken. Also, the iPod Dock. The paint peels from the walls. The mini bar was unplugged. The Wifi is slow and the connection breaks off all the time.
The service was quite poor. In the restaurant they don't have an english menu which I expect in a place that claims to be international and hip. On Sunday the waiters were overstrained from ten people eating continental breakfast. Then I wanted to buy two plates as a souvenir. Nobody would sell nor help me because there was no manager they could ask for a price.
On the day of my departure I had to leave real early at 4 am. They asked me to check my minibar the evening before to check out. This was kinda strange, I never had a experience like this before but agreed. What finally really annoyed me was that in the early morning when I was about to leave the guy at the reception forced to write down again that I had not taken anything from the minibar. What's going on. I don't blame the guy, I guess he feared that he has to compensate if anything is missing. Overall I had the feeling that most of the staff feared to do anything wrong so they better did nothing. Or they dont care. I dont know.
After my visit the manager contacted me via email and apologized for my inconvenience. Thats a begin but too late now. My money is gone and I wont remember Boca Chica I a place I like to go again.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
6  Thank Jonnyfootballhero
Hotel Boca Chic... A, Gerente at Boca Chica Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2014

Dear Guest,

Once again thank you for choose Hotel Boca Chica during your stay in Acapulco.

As you were leaving at 4am it was impossible to talk to you and resolve the inconvenents you had during your stay with us personally, that´s why I decided to email you immediatly with the only propose of take care of the situation.

Regarding the comments and suggestions you kindly share, let me tell you that I will be putting special attention on them, trying to improve the service quality in every single way.

We would love to have a second chance to show you how pleasant could be your staying with us, so please dont hesitate to contact me at my personal email rzurita@hotel-bocachica.com for any asistance.

Reviewed March 3, 2014

This was my third hotel in one week in ACA and my favorite. The architects did an amazing job of transforming a 60s style hotel into a modern hip experience. It took the best features of the original and combined it with modern luxuries. The staff were terrific, and gave us good honest recommendations for excursions outside of the hotel. The massages in the spa were great and the food at the restaurant is pretty good. The neighborhood is "interesting". Not bad just a real Mexican experience, the beach is definitely a crowded "locals" beach and very swimmable as it's on the bay. The local mariscos sold there are amazing (dozen oysters for 60 pesos) and a better value than always eating inside.
The restaurant lacks kid friendly meals or high chairs but the chef was very accommodating on making simple meals for my 1 year old that were not on the menu.

Room Tip: The beach view rooms do have a lot of noise, mainly music, but it tapers at midnight and is sleep-ab...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Hotel Boca Chic... A, Gerente at Boca Chica Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2014

Dear Guest,

We feel flattered of the kind comments you share about Hotel Boca Chica during your stay with us.

Due to the experience you share with the TRIPADVISOR community, our commitment is bigger everyday to improve and maintain our quality service.

We would love to serve you again, so please don´t hesitate to contact me for your next visit, it will be a pleasure to attend your booking personally.

Reviewed February 21, 2014

We stayed here one night and couldn't believe the beautiful design of the hotel. Every detail down to the keychains is carefully curated. Some say the locaiton is bad but I loved that it was tucked away from the chaos of some of the other beaches. The restaurant at the far end of the beach has fantastic fresh fish. Tons of privacy and quiet with a spectacular view of Acapulco. They had kayaks to rent, towels, excellent service and even gave us a free late checkout. Loved every minute and have never been so impressed by a hotel.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Plateaulady
Hotel Boca Chic... A, Gerente at Boca Chica Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your kind comments about Hotel Boca Chica, we felt privileged for being the Hotel of your selection during your stay in Acapulco.

For Boca Chica there´s nothing more important than the comments and suggestions of our clients, that´s why we felt very grateful with the kind comments you share with the TRIPADVISOR community.

Please don´t hesitate to contact me for your next visit, it will be a pleasure to attend your booking personally.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

One of the greatest downsides of this place, as you would have seen from previous reviews, is the location - it is decidedly in the least glamorous part of Acapulco and to be honest the prices ought to reflect this (but don´t) However the area while not touristy, is not dangerous, I went there to celebrate an anniversary and the hotel staff (after a little mix up with the emailing) managed to accomodate us just fine. The rooms are lovely, the decor simple yet hip and the bed is beyond comfortable - While the shower is really IN the room, the whole concept works - the hamoc in the terrace is pretty comfy and great to have a snack and a beer at sunset -

The pool is unimpressive, but it serves its purpose and if you absolutely must, you can always go for a swim in the ocean accesing through the hotel's pier. I did encounter a pet peeve in the pool area - if you had your complimentary breakfast say at 8am and you are already sunbathing at 11 am and you'd like a snack (because come on now, how substantial is a continental breakfast?) The restaurant has NO snacks to offer you at all - they only have breakfast items until 1 pm. Not cool at all.

This aside, we had a lovely time, the service is polite and accomodating, the hotel is cute and clean and the rooms are comfortable. The food is ok - with room for improvement. I would returm hands down, but I would return when I can snatch another special 'Luck Hour' rate!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GabeyC
Hotel Boca Chic... A, Gerente at Boca Chica Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for share your kind comments and experience about Hotel Boca Chica during your stay with us.

We will consider seriously your suggestions about the time we had set for breakfast and snacks, hoping in the next visit you could find more options.

It would be a pleasure to serve you again, so please don´t hesitate to contact me for your next visit to attend your booking personally.

Reviewed January 30, 2014

Boca Chica Hotel is situated on the waters of Acapulco Bay, across from Isla Roquetta. It is like an old but still very beautiful lady, with many stories to tell. It is so reminiscent of the Italian Riviera, much like Portofino.
The restaurant , so pretty with that view, has a sushi, Japanese oriented menu, which is delicious and very fresh. When we went there for lunch, there was a fashion shoot going on, which made it even more exciting. Visions of old Acapulco abounded. AS the old song goes "Those were the days,my friend!" It is so worth the trip downtown. You won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Try for a corner room.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Hotel Boca Chic... A, Gerente at Boca Chica Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2014

Dear Barbara,

Reviewed December 30, 2013

Let me say first, this is my favourite hotel in Acapulco the special location , the laid back atmosphere, the wonderful fact dogs are welcome .... all is spectacular . However the attitude. speed ,and attention to customers in the restaurant needs to be addressed urgently. I was there last night with friends, actually during a lull between crowds and met with incredibly long waits for drinks and such a miniscule serving of the tempera entree that we three felt justified on commenting upon . We talked to the waiter and feeling so disappointed by the service asked to talk to someone in charge What we thought would be considered a helpful critique was met with complete disinterest and simply the offer , if we were not happy, to just not pay , very kind , but the point was completely missed, we were not out for a free meal I am a local resident and crave the needed change in keeping and attracting visitors and share the strong desire to 'hable bien de Acapulco' We were later told the hotel has been functioning for some time without a manager... Obviously what is required is a strong leadership , and staff trained to be more attentive and helpful to guests and make the few but very important improvements to ensure Boca Chica's position as one of the best places in town
A couple of other issues needing attention . the poorly lit stairs down to the pool and whatever can be done to remedy the uncomfortable of the banquets in the dining room

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Punky's mom K
Hotel Boca Chic... A, Gerente at Boca Chica Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2014

Dear Guest,

We feel privileged for being the Restaurant of your selection in the past days.

Thank you very much for for your comments and suggestions about the Restaurant, which ones are very important for us and you can be sure that I´m puting special attention on them.

I would love to give you personalized attention to your suggestions, so it would be wonderful if you could give me an email adress to contact you directly.

If I can assist you with anything else, please dont hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

Recently the owners of the trendy Condesa DF hotel (Habita Group) renovated one of the principal 1950's glamor hotels, the Boca Chica. The pictures speak for themselves. It is wonderfully designed, though not expensively. We only paid USD 108 per night (admittedly, off season) with a wonderful ocean view.

The neighborhood is quite downmarket (though not scary, if you know Mexico), and you wind up being miles away from anything else upscale in the town. However, it is clear that development is coming to this side of town, with many spots of mid-century architectural fun ready for renovation and many new projects already going in.

But inside the resort it's perfect and there are perfect views to the island of La Roqueta across the clear blue water. The food is Japanese-inspired and also the breakfasts are excellent.

A bonus was that they accept dogs - very few hotels do in Mexico. Not only that, but she was allowed with us everywhere except the pool. At our side in the restaurant, by the loungers overlooking the bay, and best of all - she could swim in the bay! We spend hours throwing the ball for her out into the bay and letting her swim.

When we arrived the airco was making a little rattling noise and without us even asking (or thinking of it yet) he proactively moved us to another room. The next morning we were told our continental breakfast was comped "for the inconvenience".

Something similar happened when I asked on Sunday what time checkout was. The receptionist said 12 noon, but would I like to check out later at 2 or 3? Again, without my even asking for it.

That is truly rare and we were delighted.

We will be back and back.

Room Tip: Get an ocean view (almost all are).
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple