Boca Chica Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$471
$449
Hotels.com
Princess Mundo Imperial(Acapulco)(Great Value!)
$104
$101
  • Beachfront
Pierre Mundo Imperial(Acapulco)(Great Value!)
$80
Official Hotel
  • Pool
Fiesta Americana Villas Acapulco(Acapulco)(Great Value!)
$72
Hotels.com
$193
$62
$58
  • Pool
Emporio Acapulco Hotel(Acapulco)(Great Value!)
$64
  • Pool
Las Brisas Acapulco(Acapulco)(Great Value!)
$126
Sands Acapulco Hotel & Bungalows(Acapulco)(Great Value!)
$43
$41
  • Breakfast included
Resort Mundo Imperial(Acapulco)(Great Value!)
$84
Official Hotel
  • Restaurant
All reviewsvintage hotelnice and clean roomspopular beachdirect access to the seapet friendly hotelgarden roommid centuryhotel restaurant isthe hotel sitsacapulco baymexican foodbeach areaspaspgplayasoceanmexico
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 17, 2012

During our trip through Mexico we spent four nights in Acapulco. We didn't wanna stay in the middle of the "action" in Acapulco and chose a more remote area.

This Hotel is located in the Southwest area, close to Old Acapulco. The Hotel is right next to the small, but lovely Caletilla Beach, where you can get great food (El Mariachi) and hang out with the locals.
Boca Chica is right at the water with stunning views over the water and to the Isla Roqueta. Most rooms have seaviews and it's worth to pay for that. There's a restaurant attached to which serves b'fast and dinner over a great view! The pool area is also very lovely designed.

Check-In was fast, yet could have been warmer and friendlier. The Hotel dates from the '50s and has a pretty unique style. It's been remodeled lately and is in pretty good shape.
Rooms all come with a balcony and a hammock on it. That was great to spend some late-nights on and enjoy some drink...while hearing the waves and see the lights of Acapulco. Our room had a view of the ocean/Caletilla Beach, which we liked. Nothing puts you to sleep better than the sound of waves (and some street dogs barking...).

The room itselft is pretty standard...and very white. I have to say the designer tried a little too hard. The shower is more or less IN the room and not really comfortable. The shutters look nice, but let the light in very much...and very early. The floor was the biggest issue. It's almost like a rough concrete...and there were stains all over. It's just a bad surface to get clean. They should've chosen a different kind of flooring.

The staff here was very average...at best. Just one younger guy at the front desk was friendly and helpful...and the cleaning ladies were really nice too. But the rest....well...let's say there's lots of room to improve.
Breakfast was included. But it was never really clear WHAT was included. The first they we've been told everything on the menu was free...just to find out that it ISN'T! Be careful what you order....you might end up paying for your free breakfast.
The biggest problem we had was at check-out. We booked and prepaid for four nights. Then they told us we only paid for two...and that we owe them 600$! That was outrageous! We quite had a discussion for half an hour. They insisted on getting money or my credit card. But we knew that they were so completely wrong and we didn't give in. After getting pretty mad and even louder they decided to let us go anyway.
What was that? Some kind of way to get extra-money or what? We had a reservation for four nights (which they confirmed even at check-in) and we had all the papers to proof it. This issue really left a sour aftertaste with us about this place. Things like that shouldn't happen. Even it boasts a perfect location for great value we will think twice to come back next time...

Wanna know more about my trips? Check my profile (where you'll also find my website with more info about my travels).

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bandit-One
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Spent two nights at the Hotel Boca Chica following a recomendation of a friend of mine to try out something new.

Location: it is located on the far end of the Acapulco main bay, on the peninsula facing an island. If you want to be in the middle of the happening of Acapulco this is certainly not the place to stay since it is quite a trip to get there, either from the airport or to the main attractions like restaurants or bars. You definetely need a car to get there, either taxi, own or rental car. That part of Acapulco is certainly one of the poorer areas which you instantly notice when driving there.

Property: I am not sure when it was constructed but it has a 50's or early 60's feel. The property is beautifully restored, all key elements form the old days were maintained. The garden with all the plants is gorgeous. The view to the sea fantastic.

Guest rooms: I was lucky to have one of the corner suites (room 210) on the second floor (there are only 30 something guest rooms). It was spacious, the shower is placed in the room surrounded by a shower curtain which is not everyone's piece of cake but I did not mind since I stayed myself in the room. There is WIFI throughout the hotel, guestrooms and pool area and it is included in the room rate. There is a minibar, they provide sandals, there is a bathrobe, amenities, safe deposit box, TV, telephone and a nice seating area on the balcony as well as a hammock. There is no glass in the windows, there are nets placed instead and shutters which regulate the air and light coming into the room. I liked that detail in particular since it gives you a nice feel of colonial times.

Breakfast: continental breakfast (toast, butter, marmelade, coffee and orange or grapefruit juice) is included in the rate. Everything else is to be paid in addition. When I asked for tea instead of coffee it was not possible to change this without paying extra for the tea which I found pretty annoying.

Staff: In general, staff is efficient though not particularly empathic about what they are doing. You rarely encountered a smile or some charming comments which I would expect in such kind of hotel and size. Only the ladies making up the rooms showed some sign of smiles in their face when you met them on the corridors.

Other amenities: there is a restaurant placed in a Palapa (the typical local palm leave covered roofs), serving quite good food. The choice is not overly big but sufficient for the size of the hotel.There is also a swimming pool, not very big but sufficient. Sun beds and chairs are there as well as towels. There is also a spa where treatments are provided though I did not check that out. There is no sand beach but you could swim in the ocean if you do not mind the rocks.

Summary: a great property, great architecture, lovely gardens, nicely appointed rooms. You need transportation to get to the main attractions. Efficient though not overly charming service provided by staff. I would certainly stay again but would feel more comfortable if staff showed a bit more of empathy when serving the guests.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Norman V
Reviewed June 5, 2012

going to acapulco now looks wrong and dangerous, it might be if you are in the wrong place at the wrong moment. but.... if you go for business and you really want to jump in the 60's
go to this frinedly and stylish hotel.
the staff is super kind and the food amamzing, the rooms are big and well decorated.
all together is a total go, the spa is also great.
it's a special corner in a messy city, the ocean in front is calm and the felling is being in a 60 style movie.

love it!!!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank astondb9London
Reviewed May 18, 2012

Amazing minimalist hotel in Acapulco beach! Service is perfect, the view is unforgetable and you can't miss the spa! We went there (my girlfriend and I) for the spring break weekend and it was great. Quiet place, not at all crowded. Just the perfect place to relax an have a great time. Prices are a bit too high but affordable.
Overall it's a beautiful minimalistic-designed hotel. You have to check it out!!

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed May 5, 2012

The restaurant at Boca Chica Hotel has been popular with both locals and tourists for decades, serving good food with infamously slow, but friendly service. The hotel was sold and beautifully and trendily modernized by Habita (the Mexican chain that acquired the property) who wisely kept the retro feel and also wisely left the lovely restaurant well alone. The menu is oriental and sadly, local or Mexican dishes are nowhere to be seen. The chef is from New York and the food is for the most part very good.
Our table had been reserved (for 10) to celebrate a friend’s birthday. We arrived punctually to find a completely empty restaurant (1 table who soon left) and we had to wait while our table was put together because it had not been set up previously. My friend had also asked about the possibility of them providing a little birthday cake to which she was told, "well that depends on how much you consume..." She explained that we would be 10 people, eating and drinking, but this did not seem to be good enough and we were denied a cake. There is not ONE SINGLE restaurant in Acapulco who will not make a little extra effort for a client's birthday even if it is just to shove a candle on top of a Jell-O.
An extremely slow and surly waiter rolled his eyes when told that we would be needing separate checks, which I can understand is a nuisance in a bustling restaurant, but by this point we were the only table in there. My friend ordered white wine and was informed that they HAD RUN OUT!!! There was no offer to send someone to the well-stocked, brand new Superama supermarket 1/2 mile down the road. On questioning the head waiter, he explained that Superama doesn't stock the brand of white wine that is on their menu...I suggested that it might have been a good idea to buy in a case of ANY decent white wine to carry them through...meanwhile we stuck with Margaritas. Having lost patience with the goings on (or lack of them) and complaining to the hotel manager, we were offered two little bowls of edamame and a round of Margaritas in an attempt to calm us down.
This is the third time that I eat here recently and every time have had appallingly slow service, with food waiting collection on the bar while the waiters do absolutely nothing, ignored by the head waiter and the hotel manager rushes round talking officiously into his cell phone presumably negotiating world peace or something of equal importance.
I HATE to see this kind of laziness and mismanagement in a place that I have always loved and that has been very much a part of my own family history. They desperately need to fix the attitude problem: Yes Boca Chica is a trendy boutique hotel and I am sure that the manager would love it to be filled by nubile 20 year olds in bikinis, but it isn't. It isn't filled by anybody. I have stayed in other Habita properties which could be described, as painfully trendy but their staff has always been extremely friendly and helpful and the service always impeccable. Somebody needs to explain to Boca Chica that trendy is not a synonym of rude, indifferent or snotty and that a table of 10 well-known local "ladies who lunch" or anybody else for that matter, is not to be sneered at, ESPECIALLY when it your only table on a Friday lunchtime.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends