“Great views but worth it?”

Hotel Los Flamingos
Ranked #21 of 179 Hotels in Acapulco
San Francisco, CA
“Great views but worth it?”
Reviewed November 13, 2005

The layout, locale and views are epic. The history is fascinating. The rooms (bathrooms especially) are rustic at best. If you can rough it you'll like this place but is it worth the price? Probably not. It's like Acapulco in general, everyone has their hand out. If you're not keeping track of the tab they'll take you for a ride.

• Stayed November 2005
9 Thank pconSF

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 5, 2005

We (6 of us) stayed at Los Flamingos Hotel in mid June. This was my third time at this Hotel and will not be my last. Quiet, friendly, CHEAP, and a very accomodating staff make this the place to stay in Acapulco. So it's not right on the beach, but the view is well worth it. A quick 5 minute drive and you're in the heart of the city and the popular beaches. The hotel is the old Hollywood gang hangout (Johnny Weismuller, John Wayne, Cary Grant, Red Skelton, Fred McMurray) and their pictures are all hanging in the open air lobby. Why stay anywhere else?

• Stayed June 2005
19 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Dallas
Reviewed May 31, 2005

The Hollywood Elite Chose this place for a reason!

I have stayed at the Los Flamingos every time I have been in Acapulco.
The views…. The views……. I noticed a few posts below about having to worry about things being stolen, what a laugh. This place has been family owned and operated for ever. I have left rolls of money on my dresser and thousands of dollars worth the photographic equipment. Out. And would never ever consider it a risk.

The music at the pool is not piped in. Juan is the pool man and he will play anything you ask. Don’t forget to bring your cds as well, he will play them too.

If you’re a couple looking for romance and you think you can stand each other for a few days …. Ding Ding you will have a winner at this place. Room #17 No air Ocean breeze.

I’m going to spend my 25th here this October.
As far as the food being ok or average.. Try ordering something besides a hamburger.. Hello!
The Restaurant is famous for its shrimp.

• Stayed May 2005
18 Thank WorldTravelMan
Olympia
Reviewed May 13, 2005

This place is well worth going if you dont want the trendy resort.
It was owned by John Wayne and Jonnie Weismuler (Tarzan) You can even rent the Tarzan round house (his old residence) which is what we did. The owner worked as a boy for John Wayne. The hotel was built way back in the 30's I think and it looks like it, however if you want some history away from the main stream, like being treated like family, and love the idea you are staying where the hollywood jet set used to party. Then by far this is it.

• Stayed May 1999
15 Thank Baurice N
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 3, 2005

This hotel has an exquisite location, no doubt about it. Even in the cheaper rooms you just walk out your door and you've got a great view to the ocean crashing against the rocks below. Lovely sea breezes for much of the day, especially in the evenings. Pretty nice (though small) pool, with padded chaises longues, though unfortunately there is piped music playing for much of the day (e.g. Rod Stewart, Bryan Adams)...

The rooms are a bit worse for wear, but have high ceilings and are cool and airy. I found the overhead fan fully adequate for March weather.

The staff is friendly, and the food in the restaurant is OK, but it is a bit overpriced. You'll be horribly gouged if you buy any drinks at the bar. Still, it's worth buying a beer and taking it to the veranda above the bar, which has flowerboxes filled with bougainvillea and palms all around. Great place to watch the sunset.

All in all I enjoyed my stay, but I've heard some reports of people having things stolen. Since this can happen in any Mexican hotel, this alone isn't a reason to avoid the hotel, but it is something worth keeping in mind. The hotel does offer a safe deposit box for valuables at the front desk.

Stayed April 2005
16 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
New Zealand
Reviewed January 25, 2005

I stayed at Los Flamingos in September, we booked in for 9 nights but did not stay for the entire time. When we checked in we were shown to a room that was dark and dingy, there are no windows to enjoy the view from only a slated hole in the wall so you really need to be higher up so that you get a bit more natural light, after some negotiation we were moved to a better room. You do need to take into account that this hotel has tried to retain it's originalness which applies to decor, plumbing etc. The shower was temperamental and hot water was only available occasionally and of course there was no air con and with no decent window at night the room became a furnace. If insects arn't your thing you should avoid this place the cockroaches were huge and plentiful. I dropped something on the floor and got down to look and discovered quite a number of dead cockroaches under the bed so obviously the cleaning is a bit suspect. I feel that it's overpriced and you can do much better elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2004
15 Thank ayejay
Reviewed January 24, 2005

This was without a doubt the best view in a hotel room that we have ever had, we could see the curve of the earth and watched the sun dip into the Pacific every night from our balcony. We even got to see a pod of whales feeding one morning. It was very romantic and off the beaten path of the modern part of the city. Very much a throw back to times when things were slower paced. It was also the most in need of refurbishment and a/c inside the room. Granted I'm not really one to complain but since I went with the upgrade I was a bit upset to find, not one, but two scorpions in my room at different times during our trip. We were assured that they were the not poisonous type but I killed them nonetheless. My wife was not bent out of shape about them, but I was more than a little nervous sleeping. The gecko's I found to be cute and did not bother me.

Also the "in-crowd" at the Los Flamingo's was a bit on the aged side so we did not have much in common with anyone else staying there. But that made it all the more romantic and exclusive as we were the only under 40-year-olds at the place. They are going to have to come up with a new "hook" soon as few folks under 40 know much about the stars that stayed here in the 50's. I could see this being a very exclusive spa in the near future, but I dread that day as Los Flamingo's will lose it's charm and no longer be semi affordable.

The restaurant was wonderful and inexpensive. The service was second to none and no crowds exist at Los Flamingos. We had the same waiters ever day and sat next to the same guests. The pool was also awesome service and great views. But if you want nightlife other than what you and your sig other create, stay elsewhere. Noise does not exist after 9pm at Los Flamingos and that suited this trip just fine for us but others may find that lack of 'action' a problem.

Despite the scorpions, this was a great trip and the staff was VERY helpful and kind. The hotel was just a bit overpriced for what we received. We paid $125 a night for the honeymoon suite thru a travel agency instead of booking directly with the hotel. This was really my biggest mistake. If you choose to stay at Los Flamingos, book directly to avoid misunderstandings. Since I did not book directly, I was led to believe that I would receive a room with A/C including transfers to and from the airport. As it turned out we had to pay extra for the transfers and did not receive a room with A/C. To the hotels credit they did upgrade us upon request but made me pay the extra (still no A/C). To their credit, the hotel manager did give us a discount for the upgrade amount, upon check out because of the misunderstanding with the travel company about the transfers A/C, and, I assume, our uninvited scorpion friends.

Overall, I loved the Acapulco in the winter. It was 15 degrees in Tulsa when we left and 90 in Aca. We went water-skiing in Coyanca Laguna (sp?) on Jan. 15th in about 85-degree water! Wow, you simply can't beat that.

If we do Acapulco again (and we will) we will probably stay at Puerto Macaques (sp?) because it was simply beautiful or at Pie De la Costa (sp?) because it was out of the way. The bay is stunning as well as are the mountains surrounding the area. The only drawback is a little (not much) trash in the water on the beach in both the main bay and Pie De. Btw, Caleta Beach is the most foreign feeling place I have ever been in my life, out of about 2,000 beach goers not one single American (US citizen anyway). Very cool, but somewhat strange, experience. I highly recommend Acapulco in the deep winter, as it is just as warm as the states in the middle of summer and you definitely feel that you are "not in Kansas anymore."

• Stayed January 2005