La Rosa de Las Barras
The St. Regis Punta Mita Resort(Punta de Mita)(Great Value!)
$457
Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit(Nuevo Vallarta)
$672
$554
  • Breakfast included
Marival Residences Luxury Resort(Nuevo Vallarta)
$466
$319
$214
$160
  • Pool
Hard Rock Hotel Vallarta(Nuevo Vallarta)
$341
$275
Bookit.com
Las Brisas Ixtapa(Ixtapa)(Great Value!)
$120
$70
$353
$129
  • Beachfront
Marival Resort & Suites(Nuevo Vallarta)(Great Value!)
$198
$154
Groupon.com
  • Breakfast included
Four Seasons Resort Punta Mita(Punta de Mita)(Great Value!)
$440
FourSeasons.com
  • Pool
Iberostar Playa Mita(Punta de Mita)(Great Value!)
$272
Hotelpower.com
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsla rosathe ownershrimpdirt roadlove this placedelightful placelast summerspa servicesmazatlangailretreatbarrasoceancarmenestuarybonfireart
Reviewed September 4, 2009

My wife and I stayed at La Rosa in the Barras de Piaxtla several days at a time over a three week trip to the Mazatlan area in May. The accomodations are clean, comfortable, and quiet-unless you object to the constant soundt of the surf. Our casita had A/c with a refrigerator and microwave. Two buildings have full kitchens that can be reserved. Each casita is unique from the others. Located on a wide beach to the west of the resort, in the middle of an old, authentic, Mexican fishing village, a protected cove to the north, miles of incredible, mangrove lined channels to the east waiting for a kayaker, miles of dirt roads to discover and bike, La Rosa is an active travelor's paradise. If you prefer to relax and read, the peace and solitude will accomodate you easily. The locals are friendly, patient with your Spanish, and no beach vendors appear.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 2, 2009

My husband and I stayed at La Rosa for nearly 2 weeks in Feb 2009, along with another couple. We rented the 2 BR/2 BA beach house, and WOW! What a delightful place! The accomodations and grounds at La Rosa are charming, and the staff and service are wonderful and responsive. We are NOT attracted to large towns and resorts with everything perfect and very un-Mexico-like. We visit Mexico because we enjoy the people, the culture, the scenery, and the challenge. Las Barras was perfect for us. We found our days filled with adventure (kayaking, fishing, hiking, biking, petroglyphs, nearby villages), but also enjoyed plenty of relaxing under our private palapa on one of the most gorgeous beaches anywhere, and oh yes! The pedicure and massage were wonderful! The tiny village of Las Barras is very rural Mexico, and we enjoyed meeting locals, attending a village baseball game, getting our tortillas fresh each day just down the street, fresh produce on the truck that comes twice a week, and local fare in the evenings. Our hubbies caught lots of fish and we cooked it on our outdoor grill, and had all the trimmings plus margaritas we made in our fully-equipped kitchen. Lunch times were often fresh mango and local papaya smoothies! The hot tub was not finished when we were there, but I look forward to it the next time I am there!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HorseCrazyLady
Reviewed September 1, 2009

I spent a week at Barras de Piaxtla last summer and was blown away. I was able to experience the best of both worlds - a small, friendly, non-touristy fishing village AND beautiful, comfortable accommodations right on the beach. I kayaked, shopped at the local tiendas for my food, relaxed in the hammock under the thatched-roofed palapa, got my haircut using my beginning Spanish, went for walks. The owner, Gail, has an artistic eye and skilled hands and there is beauty everywhere - tile mosaics, a fabulous and lush garden, brightly colored Mexican rugs and tapestries - a little oasis. The only things I wanted for was my camera and my lover!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed September 1, 2009

I loved my time at La Rosa. The facility is warm & inviting, & its owner, Gail, is a generous & entertaining character. What's more, it's right on the beach with a beautiful view of the ocean. Las Barras de Piaxtla is a tiny & quaint town. I enjoyed playing volleyball & soccer with the folks there every night, & making daily trips to the Tortillarilla for fresh corn tortillas. Gail has kayaks & surfboards & snorkeling equipment as well, so there are plenty of opportunities for fun activities or for relaxation. I recommend a book of crosswords.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank beatrice42
Reviewed August 30, 2009

Gail has single handedly put together an incredible ocean front inn. Her artistic touches are seen in all parts of this lovely compound.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled solo