“Home of the mochomos”
Review of La Roca

La Roca
Ranked #1 of 35 Restaurants in Nogales
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed March 4, 2014

Mochomos, shredded, deep-fried, beef are an experience for those who like to nosh. Served with refried beans and queso fundido (melted cheese) on the side and consumed with hot corn tortillas, large flour tortillas or tortilla chips, with a bowl of fresh made salsa, this repast goes down well with a well-prepared margarita or straight shots of sipping tequila. The regular dinner menu is excellent, from steaks to seafood, but we rarely get past the appetizers which can satisfy your cravings completely.

3  Thank gringo028

Reviewed January 30, 2014

We went her for a Sunday brunch with a large group. It was served buffet style, but a chef would also prepare anything special that you wanted. I had him make chorizo with scrambled eggs, and it was great!

It is a one of a kind restaurant in terms of its unique style being built into a rock. It has many flashy decorations that are fun to look at.

Service was very good, and our entire group enjoyed their meal.

Reservations are a good idea since it was very busy when we went. There was live entertainment, as well as many families celebrating. It can get quite loud.

We would return!

3  Thank Amiga9
Reviewed January 7, 2014

This is a very beautiful old building with a quiet courtyard and tiered fountain. The restaurant itself is carved into the rocky hillside and has a cozy cave feeling when you climb the tiled stairs to the entrance.

The menu is varied, but our group seemed to all want shrimp dishes. Plenty of good food and the prices are what you'd pay on the US side for similar.

The service is good, atmosphere lovely (including a mariachi serenade) and food is tasty. I definitely want to go again.

3  Thank gr8fulspace
Reviewed January 6, 2014

If you are nervous about the street vendors and the food you see there I highly recommend heading over to La Roca. It is really close to the border and is built into the mountain. We went there around New Years and it was great. If you want some authentic higher class Mexican Food, this is the place. The waiters are dressed up, and the atmosphere reminds me of being at a restaurant on a cruise ship, but without the price tag. The staff is highly attentive, and the whole place is impeccably clean. Great service, great food, perfect.

2  Thank CaffineFreek
Reviewed December 29, 2013

First time I was in La Roca was last year, and I have given this place a poor rating (1star) on trip advisor. This year, my friend insist to go there again, although I was hesitating. Overall, food was mediocre, and I have eaten much better from a local street trailer selling real authentic Mexican food. The food is quite expensive given the fact that you are in mexico. As I mentioned, next day we stopped by local trailer, and had delicious food. No need to come back to La Roca..