“Grasshoppers” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of La Catarina

La Catarina
Reserve with OpenTable
La Catarina is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 897 Restaurants in Monterrey
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin, Spanish
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Families with children, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Brunch, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: The cuisines of La Catarina can be described as 100% Mexican. It is a restaurant in which traditional recipes with strong Mexican roots are presented in a contemporary environment. The restaurant is an homage to Mexican cuisine. Los platillos de La Catarina se pueden describir como 100% mexicanos. Es un restaurante en el cual recetas tradicionales y totalmente arraigadas a sus origenes de Mexico central se presentan en un ambiente contemporaneo. Un homenaje a la cocina mexicana.
San Diego, California
“Grasshoppers”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

Grasshoppers, the best I've ever had. You can just order food for the center of the table and share, actually I would recommend you do that, enjoy!

Visited April 2013

“Haute cuisine”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

Mexican food is not tacos and burritos; that´s just fast food. This is the real mexican cuisine; its menu includes dishes from all over the country, including some aztec recipes.

Visited October 2012
Monterrey
“Really good and tasty”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

I didn't know what to expect. I has heard a lot about it and I wasn't disappointed. We had Maguey worms with guacamole and Huanzontle patties for entree and both were amazingly good! Then I had Aguachile with coconut, which I loved. For dessert, pumpukin pie and arroz con leche. They also serve some mexican craft beers.

You have to go, you won't regret it if you like mexican food.

Visited June 2012
Monterrey, Mexico
“Dinner at la Catarina to celebrate doctor's day”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

Food and service excellent. Nice touch at the end with a traditional mexican dessert. It offeres Mexican food from different regions of the country. They served traditional beverages as guayava and horchata. The cron soup is excellent.

Visited October 2012
Monterrey, Mexico
“Best restaurant in Monterrey”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

La Catarina is a must to go if you are in Monterrey. It is expensive but the food is amazing! and the service! OMG!!!! it was fabulous! I went there with my couple and we had all for ourselves 4 waiters! incredible, there was one assigned to our table but we had 3 others that were checking on us from time to time, making sure our glasses were filled with wine, that we had everything we needed. It was awesome. Besides the atmosphere of the restaurant was great.

To start, one of the waiters offered us to make a sauce with our preferred ingredients, we agreed, and he made the souce right by our side and we selected the ingredients from the tray and we even added grasshoppers to our sauce, OMG, it was a fabulous recommendation from our waiter because the sauce was magnificent!
Next we had an exotic dish, we ordered Escamoles (ant eggs), Chapulines (grasshoppers) and Gusanos (worms). I don't know how I dared to tried all of that but I did and I had a pleasent surprise it was delicious!!!!
We ordered meat for dinner and it was also marvelous! everything perfect, the flavors, the presentation, everything extraordinary.

I just can't wait for the next time to have dinner or lunch at La Catarina. I've visited so many high cuisine restaurants in Monterrey and La Catarina is by far the best one mostly because of the great staff they have. Everyone was so polite and helpful.

• Visited August 2012