“A must for visitors”
Review of El rey del cabrito

El rey del cabrito
Ranked #17 of 927 Restaurants in Monterrey
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Business meetings, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Boston, Massachusetts
“A must for visitors”
Reviewed September 30, 2011

I can't say bbq baby goat is my favorite cuisine but this place was really memorable during my brief visit to Monterrey. We ordered the half cabrito and also some fajitas. The cabrito takes some work to get some good pieces off the bone but its really tender and delicious meat. The decor of the place is really entertaining. I took a lot of pictures.

• Visited September 2011

San Pedro Garza Garcia, Mexico
“Very good”
Reviewed June 29, 2011

Very good meat....i went with my mom and husband and we all enjoyed...

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“I personally think that unfortunately this place is just a famous name, I mean, the food is good and they have large...”
Reviewed July 23, 2010

I personally think that unfortunately this place is just a famous name, I mean, the food is good and they have large portions, but nothing to die for, the service is not great, probably the atmosphere is the best thing specially for large groups, but I think is a bit overrated and overpriced.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Seattle
“Like BBQ'd Baby Goat? Oh Hell Yes!!!”
Reviewed March 28, 2010

We were traveling through Monterrey on our way to Texas and decided to stop for dinner. We asked a local where we should eat and he referred us to El Rey del Cabrito. Their specialty is baby goat. Between three of us we shared half of a baby goat. It was delicious and the service was wonderful! The BBQ'd goat came with fresh vegetables and tortillas.

This place has been around for a long, long time, as shown by all of the pictures on the wall of the owner and many famous Mexican actors and musicians. They have a large amount of large taxidermy (Lions, bulls, goats) which is usually a turnoff for me, but what the heck?! Their specialty is meat and they definitely cater to carnivores...

Queretaro City, Mexico
“Local dining experience”
Reviewed March 18, 2010

"El Rey" is in the Barrio Antigua section of Monterrey. It is an older part of the city next to the Santa Catarina riverbed. This section has several upscale restaurants and therefore it is a little overpriced.

The cabrito is a must in Monterrey. It is a local favorite and "El Rey" is not the only place where you can get cabrito in the city. Cabrito is a very flavorful and rich (read fatty) meat. Specifically kid meat roasted over open coals. It is delicious but you have to like that kind of food. If you are a white boneless chicken and white fish kind of person you will want to choose something more Norte Americano.

The service can be too fast. Since all the cabrito is already prepared before you walk in the door, once you order it, it comes to the table. This can make ordering an appetizer and drinks before the meal somewhat problematic. Good Spanish will help but is not necessarily sufficient.

The food is expensive and the tequila prices are standard for a restaurant but outrageous. Buy your own and have a few shots before you leave the house. If you like tequila don't drink their brand, it is slightly sweet and not well aged. Cabrito costs $147 pesos per kilo at local markets. One half order of cabrito is $700 pesos, you do the math. On the other hand, who is going to cook it for you.

Personally, I am making the rounds of other cabrito restaurants in the area but I would definitely return to "El Rey" with a guest.