“be aware of the overcharges”
Review of Krystal Monterrey

Krystal Monterrey
Ranked #1 of 98 Hotels in Monterrey
GreenLeadersSilver level
Dallas, TX
“be aware of the overcharges”
Reviewed April 29, 2009

We stayed for 4 nights and when you check in and check out goes pretty smooth. I should had suspected something was cooking. At the reception area they still run your credit card through a old fashioned outdated technology card imprinters. The hotel and flight had previously been paid in full and all the charges during the hotel stay were paid in full by cash. I kept all the receipts and I was able to get the money back through my credit card company. But when I tried to reach the hotel mangement to clarify the charges they just keep you on hold , were never able to tell why I had $288.00 extra charged to my card and did not take responsiblity.
The location of the hotel is pretty good, walking distance to Sanborns and the macro plaza.
The restaurant is all you can eat and the food is pretty good. I have to say that the hotel looks better on the pictures. Once you are inside your room you wish you can change hotels.
They should work on improving their cleaning standards the beds are not comfortable at all.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Houston, Tx
Reviewed October 27, 2008

I searched for hotels in downtown Monterrey, I wanted to stay in the Sheraton but it was booked therefore, the next option was Fiesta Americana Centro. The customer services was excellent, the bell man Francisco was great! All of the hotel staff was awesome they attendend to all of our needs. I was a little disappointed in the room. I booked a room with double beds which I thought was a room with two beds next to each other but it was actually a king size bed and a sofa bed. The sofa bed was in the entrance section of the room. We had our son with us so we prefer to have beds next to each other. Both beds were really hard and the sheets were not covering enough of the mattress but they were clean. Overall the room was clean. The accessibility to all of the restaurants, stores, and all of areas of interests were really close and the famous barrio antiguo was at walking distance which was great. I would recommend this hotel if you plan to spend a short time in Monterrey.

• Liked — Customer service was outstanding
  • Disliked — the beds, room set-up
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed October 5, 2008

Horrible service from day 1. Check-in and check-out took more than 1 hour each!! We booked several rooms and when we checked out they mixed our bar and restaurant service. Took another hour to sort it out.

Parking is free, however the obligatory valet is #$22.00MX, they will not let you park your own car in their parking lot...so parking is not really free.

Rooms were sub-standard, bill for local calls, no free internet access, etc. For the price we paid we could have received all this included and much better service.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — Their service
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
saltillo
Reviewed August 5, 2007

1.- Reserve una habitación de lujo. Me dieron una STANDAR que mas bien parecía de hotel de quinta.

2.-La habitación estaba SUCIA, incluso sabanas con olor a perfume y cabellos...

3.- El baño tenia fuga y cabellos en el piso

4.- Solicite una cuna para mi bebe en 3 ocasiones, hasta que la mandaron sin sabanas, solo con una cobija de una cama matrimonial.

5.- Se solicitaron sabanas para la cunita de mi bebe a las 9:00 y las mandaron a las 11:00 de la noche...después de hablar 3 veces a recepción y otra mas con el Gerente en turno.

No recomiendo este hotel el servicio en general es muy malo, pero la limpieza es terrible.

Por lo que a mi respecta NO regresaria

Stayed August 2007
1 Thank nayaSaltillo
Washington, DC
Reviewed July 23, 2006

While this is a nice building in the middle of an agreeable downtown, it's poorly managed. Housekeeping in the room was lackluster (usually a strong point of hotels in the region). Coming back from a long day at the client, I had to wait 10-15 minutes for a slip of paper with an access code to get online; 10-15 minutes I would rather have spent sleeping or talking to my girlfriend. That may have been OK 5 years ago, but it's not up to par; and you can get access hassle free at the Sheraton across the street (which is where I'd stay next time and where I'd recommned).

The espresso machine was broken (all week): not a horrible hardship, I know, but just another example of how this place doesn't have its act together. The hotel wasn't "dirty", but it's not real clean either: smear marks all over the elevator, greasy hand grips on all the gym equipment.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — service and Internet access
  • Tips/Secrets — stay at the Sheraton
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank anon888888
Katy, Texas
Reviewed July 2, 2006

Second stay at this hotel. First was 7/2006. Nice hotel with open atrium. Great location. Rooms on the front side have nice view of mountainside at night (could be romantic). Get outside rooms as atrium rooms can be noisy. Staff's english could be improved. Nice restaurant. Kind of pricey, though. Room had safe in the closet. Large room with hard beds. TV has many english options for movie channels. Best I have come across in Monterrey. First trip was great. I was sold. This trip, changed my mind. AC in the room was not working. Had to wait around for maintenance to show up to fix it in the late evening. Next day, they painted and/or stripped paint in the neighboring room. The fumes and smell hit you down the hall around two corners. Eyes were watering and it was hard to breath. "Safety first" did not appear to be on their minds. They reluctantly changed my room. The did not seem to think it was a problem. They told me that the painters were gone and the smell would dissipate over the next few hours and that I should just "go out for the evening". My first stay was above average to excellent. On my second stay, the lack of understanding there was a serious problem probably lost me forever as a guest.

• Stayed November 2005, traveled on business
1 Thank Tubagrinch
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 17, 2005

Let me start off by saying I'm a corporate pilot and I'm on the road 100+ nights a year. I stay in many different hotels in many different locations, from $65/night to $1,200/night, so I feel like I got a vast array of experience to rank these types of things.

I've been to Monterrey, Mexico three times in the past two years. We've stayed both at the Fiesta Americana and the Fiesta Inn. The Fiesta Americana is the only place I'd consider staying at.

First off, the location is wonderful! Right in the heart of downtown, and theres plenty of museums, government buildings, shops, restaraunts, and flea markets within a few minutes walking distance.

The hotel itself has a very elegant feel, and is well appointed. From the lobby, elevators, all the way up to the rooms - you feel like this is a relly high-dollar hotel. The rooms were very comfortable. Large suites, with a nice atrium view. Plenty of channels on the TV, including 3 or 4 channels that were actually English-speaking. The bathrooms were large and comfortable, with nice shiny marble for floors and countertops. Another review mentioned trouble with the shower water temperatures. I never experienced that problem, however I'm not discrediting her review.

The restaurant they have in the hotel is very nice, and has good quality food. Nice feel of an "expensive" restraunt, but very reasonable prices. The breakfast buffets and late nite dining was always good. Lots of culture to explore.

I also recommend going down to the "King of Baby Goats" diner about 5 minutes from the hotel. We sat down and had a huge rack of baby goat, with more trimmings then you could possibly eat. Great service, and friendly broken-english speaking staff!

Beware of the Business Center Computer/Internet Access though. After having entered in my Yahoo email address and password, I noticed that there was software installed on the computer that logs all your keystrokes. The program doing it isn't even that hidden either, it was sitting right down there next to the clock. I was furious, and went around to every other computer in the office and they all had that same program installed. I chalked it up to me just being careless in a foregin country, and didn't think much more about it. I figured they probably get so many emails addresses and passwords anyways that mine would be lost in them. Boy, was I wrong! When I got back home off my trip, everytime I would log into Yahoo Messenger, it would kick me off saying someone else was currently signed on. After trying five or six different times over the next couple days, I finally got on and changed my password - to which I've had no further problems.

Overall this is the hotel I will stay at again if I return to Monterrey, on business or pleasure. All this for around $120(US) a night! Can't beat that deal!

• Stayed January 2005, traveled on business