“Average stay...”

Ranked #37 of 98 Hotels in Monterrey
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Average stay...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2014

I stayed in this hotel two nights during a business trip. One day, my customer had a seminar for 40 people in one of the ballrooms. I had to ask them twice to vacuum - they just didn't clue into the stuff on the carpet left over from the wedding the night before. Other than that, the seminar seemed to go ok.

It took forever to check in and out of this hotel. My room was on the 6th floor. The room was comfortable and felt clean. I didn't need to use the AC too often but when I did, it wasn't excessively loud and annoying. The bed was comfortable - not too hard or soft. The bathroom seemed clean but could use an update. At least the hair dryer was a regular one and not the box thing on the wall. The towels were very heavy kind of in an annoying way. Be careful in the tub because there was no grippers and a person could easily slip. Wifi was available and free. I didn't have any problems with it working.

I ordered room service twice - with the same thing - chiliquiles, Mexican hot chocolate and guacamole. The first time the hot chocolate was luke warm and regular. The second time I specifically asked for Mexican hot chocolate that was hot. And I received just that, a hot pot of chocolate spiked with spices. The first plate of chiliquiles had more chicken. Anyway, I was happy and ate it. The buffet breakfast was good - lots of variety and traditional Mexican dishes. Our waitress was very attentive.

There is a huge problem with noise as all the rooms open into the atrium. The first night I didn't notice the second door between the bedroom and the entry hall. The next night when the wedding reception was in full swing, I shut the door and didn't really hear anything.

If you don't want the cleaning ladies to come into your room, you need to put the not disturb sign out. One lady knocked like once and before I could put my pants on, she barged in. No apology just a cheerful - I'm here to see if you need anything... Anyway, within the next 10 minutes, two more rang the door. It got really annoying.

I charged my taxi to the hotel and used a hotel taxi for the airport. Early in the morning it takes about 30 minutes to get to the airport

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Sheraton_Monterrey, Social Media Champion at Sheraton Ambassador, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Dear Mr. IntlTrainer,
Thank you for taking the time to give us a feedback regarding your recent stay at the Sheraton Ambassador.
I do apologize that your stay did not meet your expectations. We are always trying to improve our service and I want to thank you for your valuable feedback as it helps us to know what service specifically needs to be improved.
We are aware that, there is still a lot to do, but we are now actually working for a project to refurbish the property. We will take care of the things you mentioned such as the bathroom and the grippers. About the ballroom, I apologize again that we were not aware it needed to be vacuum, we will prevent this to happen again checking each room before an event.
We are glad you enjoyed our location, your breakfast and your Sheraton Sweet Sleeper Bed.

Katherine Valdes

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Polish first
Madison Lake
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

This hotel is downtown Monterrey, so its a little hard to get there, but once you do its great. The staff was wonderful from drive-up to check out everyone was helpful and nice. The food and wine was good and room service was great. I had a large dog with me so staying in a nice hotel was a treat. There is a large pedestrian shopping area right outside of the hotel, lots of shopping and food.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Sheraton_Monterrey, Social Media Champion at Sheraton Ambassador, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
Dear Debra J,

Thank you for sharing your positive comments regarding your recent stay at the Sheraton Ambassador. We are so glad we were able to accommodate you and pet. We are thrilled you enjoyed your room and amenities. Again, we thank you for your comments and we look forward to another opportunity to welcome you back Monterrey.

Social Media Champion, Sheraton Ambassador Monterrey Hotel
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2014

During the 2004 to 2010 period, we put groups into this hotel. It is centrally located, reasonably priced, rooms are fine, breakfast is good. However, I am pretty sure that since we started coming in 2004, the hotel has not invested ANYTHING in the property, or training.

In the meantime, other hotels have been built and established in Monterrey and they offer a better price value relationship.

The Ambassador is so worn down, I am surprised that the Sheraton name still appears. The carpets are dirty and spotted. I had to wear shoes in my CLUB ROOM because the carpet tack tract was sticking through and I got stuck the first time I walked in the bathroom. The curtains do not fully close, and the bar is terrible.

Although the hotel advertised a wine selection and happy hour, and even used the Wine Spectator logo on the add - they had two very poor quality wines. The décor of the bar looks like it was designed by college frat boys. It was so bad that the floor was worn in front of the bar to the bare floor and one of the legs on one of the couches was broken.

Because I was in a Club Room, I had access to the club lounge. During my stay, I met with two of the hotel's sales staff. When we sat down at one of the tables in the club room, the plant in the center of the table was DEAD! We talked for about 20 minutes and all of us left the room together. Neither one of the sales staff even noted the dead plant right in front of them.

This used to be a great property at a great value. It has fallen considerably. Until and unless they invest in this property - I would avoid.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Brad H
Sheraton_Monterrey, Social Media Champion at Sheraton Ambassador, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
Dear Mr. Howard,

I do apologize that your stay did not meet your expectations. Our sales staff, after the meeting they hold with you, took the plant to our Housekeeping Manager, who takes this feedback very seriously and has addressed this issue.

In the last year, the property has made investments to improve guest’s satisfactions, such as replacing all guest phones, install new, more powerful WiFi antennas in all guest rooms, new 42’’ LED TV’s for our Club Floor rooms, new computers for our Link@Sheraton and replaced a cooling tower to improve the A/C. We are aware that, there is still a lot to do, but we are now actually working for a project to refurbish the property.

About the wines we do have a program where we change them according to the season, this wines are qualified over 90 points on the Wine Spectator program.

We are glad you enjoyed our location, your breakfast and room.

Social Media Champion, Sheraton Ambassador Monterrey Hotel

Travelers are raving about these Monterrey hotels

Roedekro, Denmark
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2014

Stayed at the hotel for 7 nights in a row. Service is acceptable. But rooms, hereunder carpets, doors, bathroom and other facilites is really well used. There are windows in the hotelroom, but impossible to open them. So the air inside the hotel gets easy very very close, and not easy if you wanna use the room as homeoffice during the stay

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Sheraton_Monterrey, Social Media Champion at Sheraton Ambassador, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Dear Holger_JR,

Thank you for taking the time to give up a review and for acknowledging how was your stay with us. I do want to apologize for the difficulties you had with the air experience during your stay. Our Director of Housekeeping takes this feedback very seriously and has been notified. Some of our windows are just for enjoying the view thats why they are impossible to open.

We are always trying to improve our service and I want to thank you for your valuable feedback as it help us know what service specifically needs to be improved.

We hope to see you soon!

Houston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014

This hotel is in the middle of Monterrey. I traveled there for a few days for business meetings. The hotel is very nice and very warming as you come in. The elevators are always ready to go and there is really no waiting time for them. I stayed on the 6th floor and my room was a king size bed room. The room itself is very nice and spacious. The bed was very comfy and I fell asleep as soon as I layed down. The interior of the rooms are a little run down but nothing too bad. The restrooms are pretty big. The only downside was on the shower it seems to let the water out when you are showering causing a big puddle as soon as you step out.
The concierge and front desk were very nice and very helpful in everything. We did eat the buffet twice and it was very good with different types of food and drinks. Pedro took care of us and he was very nice and always there when we needed him. We tried out the bar on the 1st night at around 10 pm it was very relaxing and soothing ..Even though I didnt shoot pool it was nice to see a pool table available. The food ordered there was good as well. My experience with this hotel was really good but just a couple things that didnt go to well like the puddle of water as you finish taking a shower. I will come back to this hotel if I need to go back. The area felt nice and secure.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Matamoros, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

Highly recommended!!!
Great rooms, really helpful and nice staff and excellent buffé!
We stayed there for a few days and we had everything we needed, oh and this hotel had a really really awesome bed, which is a big plus (most of them have hard beds, at least in Mexico).
One of the best options in Monterrey!!!

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2013

This Sheraton has the feel of and older, grander hotel from the past, without seeming out of date. The restaurant is great and I recommend trying the goat if you are really hungry. The buffet at breakfast is a mix of traditional English and Mexican breakfast foods. The service is always great and everyone at the front desk is always helpful in arraying taxis for my 5am flights home. The gym leaves something to be desired and it was raining both times I tried to go to the pool so I can't comment on the pool area. There is also a small convenience store right across the street from the hotel if you want to avoid the minibar prices. The rooms are the nicer, relatively large Sheraton rooms with the alcove for the bathroom and closet. The location is a little further away from the main business area of Monterrey but taxis are cheap. The one time I booked a hotel closer to San Pedro it was awful and I checked out and called the Sheraton.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business