“UNESCO site”
Review of Paquime

Ranked #116 of 404 things to do in Northern Mexico
More attraction details
Owner description: The only archeological site of its kind in northern Mexico, these ruins feature seven-story-high earth walls, mysterious T-shaped doors and ceremonial mounds.
Tucson, Arizona
253 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 385 helpful votes
“UNESCO site”
Reviewed December 5, 2013

I was with a tour group coming back to Tucson from The Copper Canyon and we stayed in Casas Grandes on our last night of the trip. I have been to many of Mexico's archeological ruins so was happy we made this stop. The walls of these ruins make if very different from the others. It's always interesting to learn of these lost civilizations and wonder at the mystery of them. There is also a visitor center offering good exhibits and the gift shop offers the famous Mata Ortiz pottery,
which is a modern version of the pottery artifacts found in the ruins.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank vagabondginger

Oaxaca, Mexico
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“Spell bound”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Paquimé is unique and it is well worth the trip from anywhere in Mexico. For me, I made this trip from Chiapas and I was absolutely delighted that I made it to the most curious archaeological site in Mexico. Allow a couple hours to immerse yourself in this labyrinth-like ruins and let your imagination go. I walked up the hills right on top of the ruins and was soon escorted down by the guards. You can take a bus from Chihauhau to Casas Grandes. There are many hotels in the new Casas Grandes and one hotel in the old Casas Grandes a few hundred meters from the ruins which is a bit overpriced. There is a good restaurant in the old Casas Grandes on the main road. Try the garlic trout.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank viajerothai
Jacksonville, Florida
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Fabulous World Heritage Site”
Reviewed April 12, 2012

I visited Paquime in late March and was absolutely delighted. The facility features a thoughtfully unobtrusive visitor center and museum which includes a wide array of materials that provide insight into the evolution of the civilization there about 1,000 years ago, and about its economy and civilization. The exhibits were complemented by an art gallery with contemporary exhibits. The adobe ruins are preserved and presented in a relatively hands-off manor. Unlike some pre-Columbian sites, there is little in the way of reconstruction. As such, the experience is a bit less Disneyfied than some sites north of the US-Mexico border may be. I view that as a benefit. I'm normally pretty jaded, but to me there was a mystical quality to the place that is worth absorbing and experiencing.

A word about safety. I had read all the horror stories about the US-Mexico frontier. I have to say that we at no time felt unsafe or threatened. Several people in and near Casas Grandes did admit that things were troublesome three years ago, but said they are infinitely better now. We crossed the border southbound at Agua Prieta and reentered the US at Antelope Wells. Consequently, we avoided Ciudad Juarez, which, I believe, remains difficult.

Visited March 2012